• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gini Whine-aldum

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSG bought Gini to be that guy: The Water Carrier!

Gini I think needs to understand that that situation WILL continue at PSG...PSG aren't buying him to be the Dutch Jack Grealish, they're buying him to do that water carrying job which he did so well at LFC, so he can expect more of the same underappreciated comments from the PSG online trolls, the only difference is that he's now getting paid 300k p/w to do that job.

Disagree with most of the comments in this thread.

Of course money is a big part of contract negotiations, and he SHOULD feel undervalued in comparison to the wages that Milner, Thiago, AOC and Keita have been getting these past couple of years. All players he's been ahead of.

But it's also true that the fans have not really appreciated him, because he was a consistent, if not unpectacular player. We only have to take a straw poll of this forum to realise that most people aren't fussed with him going, despite his fabulous availability record. And the big moments he's had in a red shirt.

It's quite interesting that the reactions towards Hendo and his contract negotiation hasn't been "his agent is looking for too much money or too long a contract" but critique of the clubs "stingy owners". But if Gini asks for the same amount, or even a little less, he's being tainted with the "greedy fucker" angle.

It can't just be that he felt undervalued by fans online (rightly so) AND undervalued by the club in contract negotiations (rightly so).

A shedload of assumptions underlies this post and a lot of them are highly dodgy. Which of us knows exactly what each player is getting in wages, hence how they actually compare with one another? Who can claim to know what all "the fans" thought of Gini? Who can even claim to know what "most people" just on this forum think of him? He's had vocal critics here but he's also had plenty of posters (including me until he started with the crocodile tears) in his corner.

A shedload of assumptions underlies this post and a lot of them are highly dodgy. Which of us knows exactly what each player is getting in wages, hence how they actually compare with one another? Who can claim to know what all "the fans" thought of Gini? Who can even claim to know what "most people" just on this forum think of him? He's had vocal critics here but he's also had plenty of posters (including me until he started with the crocodile tears) in his corner.

I've been on his instagram and seen the abuse he gets from our "fans", even when we win. So yeah, I'm taking a bit of a straw poll based off what I've seen. Gini specifically mentioned it was not fans in the ground, but "some" online.. in which case, he's right. We've seen many of them here. Even if you say that the support for him was 70:30.. 30% is STILL a lot of fans, when you consider our global fanbase..

... and the fact that this is for a first teamer who's scored legendary goals for us and has played countless games in our title/CL winning seasons.

I'd understand this level of stick for someone like Naby Keita, Adrian, Karius, AOC or Shaq, who comparatively, have done fuck all for us.

It probably rubs more salt in the wounds that these same guys (Keita/AOC) got paid more than him and are probably the same guys who cry about not being able to play if they get a little knock, whilst Gini ran himself into the ground for us all of last season (in his final year; as a good professional would; Klopp has even praised him for this).

So yeah, he's not wrong with his whinging about some of our fans, as I've seen it with my own eyes and thought it was disgraceful.

Heh, even if I thought he had played a shite "ghost" game, I wouldn't go as far as to log on to the man's insta and abuse him. But some of our fans did. So he's got a right to feel a little unloved. Because he was...

If we took a straw poll on this forum of the one position to upgrade in the last couple of years.. I'd guess that about 70% of people would have said it's Gini position (and for him to make way for Naby/Thiago/etc), the other 30% would be split between upgrading the 2nd CB and Bobby's position (he's another player who's got the right to whinge about how certain fans treat him online; he's probably just lucky he doesn't speak/read English that well).

Last edited:
Gini was paid to be water carrier...water carriers generally don't get any glory, its not a position that you can crow about. You win the ball and pass it to the attackers. Yes he did get some abuse but he's not the only player to suffer that for that position. I'm sure Fernandinhos email and Twitter feed hasn't always been rosy either.

He was a good , always available player for us, who happened to play a major role in one of our most iconic and celebrated moments.
That wasn’t the norm for him though, he wasn’t a Stevie G, so he’s very much replaceable.
Therefore, I’m completely indifferent to the circumstances of him leaving.

I've been on his instagram and seen the abuse he gets from our "fans", even when we win. So yeah, I'm taking a bit of a straw poll based off what I've seen. Gini specifically mentioned it was not fans in the ground, but "some" online.. in which case, he's right. We've seen many of them here. Even if you say that the support for him was 70:30.. 30% is STILL a lot of fans, when you consider our global fanbase..

... and the fact that this is for a first teamer who's scored legendary goals for us and has played countless games in our title/CL winning seasons.

I'd understand this level of stick for someone like Naby Keita, Adrian, Karius, AOC or Shaq, who comparatively, have done fuck all for us.

It probably rubs more salt in the wounds that these same guys (Keita/AOC) got paid more than him and are probably the same guys who cry about not being able to play if they get a little knock, whilst Gini ran himself into the ground for us all of last season (in his final year; as a good professional would; Klopp has even praised him for this).

So yeah, he's not wrong with his whinging about some of our fans, as I've seen it with my own eyes and thought it was disgraceful.

Heh, even if I thought he had played a shite "ghost" game, I wouldn't go as far as to log on to the man's insta and abuse him. But some of our fans did. So he's got a right to feel a little unloved. Because he was...

If we took a straw poll on this forum of the one position to upgrade in the last couple of years.. I'd guess that about 70% of people would have said it's Gini position (and for him to make way for Naby/Thiago/etc), the other 30% would be split between upgrading the 2nd CB and Bobby's position (he's another player who's got the right to whinge about how certain fans treat him online; he's probably just lucky he doesn't speak/read English that well).

Not excusing the fans who did it, but practically every celebrity gets abused on social media. If that affects him, then he should not be on social media. Rashford has been brilliant in tackling child hunger gets abuse on twitter on a regular basis. It is sick, but social media is a cesspool. Insinuating that as one of the reasons for leaving seems a bit disingenuous. As if PSG fans never abuse their players on social media.

He definitely deserves to be paid more than AOC, Keita. But if that bothers him, he should point the finger at his agent.

I feel that he deserved an extension and we should have met halfway and got him to sign a new contract. But I can understand the rationale behind not giving into his demands also. FSG are wary of letting the squad grow too old. His contract ended at an awkward time with the COVID and associated economic impacts. In 4 years time, they did not want a 34 year old on big money who will be difficult to shift. At some point, we need to bring in younger players and Gini was the first to go.

Water Carrier is such a horrible oversimplification of what Gini brought to a highly effective and successful team.

He was a consistently top class midfielder, with a top attitude, incredible work ethic, and dedication to the cause.
Plus he seems like a genuinely great guy.

He won the League and CL with us.

Whatever your feelings are about him, or these latest articles, the man deserves a lot more respect than he's getting here.

He was a bit of a water carrier for us, so it will never carry as much hurt as Coutinho or Torres leaving, more akin to what Can did, and look what happened to him.

Carragher needs to shut the fuck up. As for Gini, this isn't anything we didn't already know, the club play the pauper when they want to. That's why we're seeing the Hendo stories now and that's why we will go into this season thinking the front 3/4 is enough to win the league. It's not, but we'll have a nice new stand and will get told about long term prospects that will never materialize.
It's not about playing the pauper. It's about having a clear and consistent policy with regards to giving lucrative contracts to older players.

And Carragher's right - Gini sounds like an absolute moron here. It's like he's never encountered social media before. By all means be upset with the club for not paying you what you think you're worth, but don't use randoms on social media as justification for your discontent.

He was a good , always available player for us, who happened to play a major role in one of our most iconic and celebrated moments.
That wasn’t the norm for him though, he wasn’t a Stevie G, so he’s very much replaceable.
Therefore, I’m completely indifferent to the circumstances of him leaving.
Agree with this.

We'll see this season how much if at all he'll be missed.

I feel the growing 'what does he do for the team' feeling came when he started scoring loads for the Netherlands. In his early days for us he scored a reasonable amount for a CM, but as we all know he was a key part of the system that won us the PL & CL, along with taking us to a CL final and to 97 points in 18/19 season. He sacrificed individual ego and stats to play a part in a team that was winning relentlessly.

He had many attributes that stats can't do justice for - ball retention was the best i think i've seen in red. No one can tackle him. He shows for the ball, presses for 90 mins twice a week and has the game awareness to fill the gaps left by the full backs who were busy putting it on a plate for our attackers for 2 years in a row.

Those who think he was a ghost probably watched nothing more than the MOTD highlights of these great seasons and should consider taking themselves elsewhere because football is just not for you.

I've been on his instagram and seen the abuse he gets from our "fans", even when we win...

Even if you say that the support for him was 70:30.. 30% is STILL a lot of fans, when you consider our global fanbase.

Not every player has a public IG/FB/Twitter account. As I've said before, if it worries you (him, anyone) just have a private account with mates/family/teammates !

This is especially pertinent for 'stars' constantly in the media, you know the world is full of utter nutters (just look at the General Chat Forum and a few in the football forum) and you know are going to cop shite no matter what you do, because half the fans are brainless anyway.

Gini was a more consistent player, he didn't have Hendo's highs (bar THAT game) nor his lows. So saying 'better' isn't the right adjective.
I'm not gonna dance around this, Wijnaldum is a better footballer. Yes, Henderson might be a better leader, maybe even more influential but Wijnaldum is still better.

Not every player has a public IG/FB/Twitter account. As I've said before, if it worries you (him, anyone) just have a private account with mates/family/teammates !

This is especially pertinent for 'stars' constantly in the media, you know the world is full of utter nutters (just look at the General Chat Forum and a few in the football forum) and you know are going to cop shite no matter what you do, because half the fans are brainless anyway.

I love how Frogfish doesn't realise he's the nutter.

I'm not gonna dance around this, Wijnaldum is a better footballer. Yes, Henderson might be a better leader, maybe even more influential but Wijnaldum is still better.
Agreed. No point dancing around it.

It's obvious who the better footballer is. I sincerely doubt (despite the links) that PSG or Barcelona would be in for Henderson should he want to move on.

Arsenal perhaps.

He's not the only one either, it happens to every player. Rashford can't post about anything without some United Fan giving him grief about his form. Twitter is just rife with bellends, but it's not limited to football, have a look at every popular music post or any other celebrity/news/political post on there and it's littered with people who really shouldn't have a voice. It's worrying just how many intellectually-fucked people there are out there.

Don't be silly. Better footballer means using the ball better, Hendo's range of passing slaps Gini's all over the park.

& Yes Hendo is more influential and more of a leader.

He's the more important for us, if it's a choice between the 2 every fan with half a brain chooses Hendo.

Agreed. No point dancing around it.

It's obvious who the better footballer is. I sincerely doubt (despite the links) that PSG or Barcelona would be in for Henderson should he want to move on.

Arsenal perhaps.

Barca can't afford me at the moment. Never mind Henderson.

Don't be silly. Better footballer means using the ball better, Hendo's range of passing slaps Gini's all over the park.

He's the more important for us, if it's a choice between the 2 every fan with half a brain chooses Hendo.

This is Modo, who has always hated Henderson. Like you say, Hendo has better passing range short and long, better crosser, as good an athlete (though has had more injuries) and is more influential on lifting the team. Gini is a better technician in terms of close control, which is what Modo generally uses to gauge the quality of a footballer. FIFA fat thumbs mentality.

Personally I'd pick Fabinho over both.
Still Wijnaldum is a better footballer and Henderson's passing is overrated.

Personally I'd pick Fabinho over both.
Still Wijnaldum is a better footballer and Henderson's passing is overrated.
& I'd pick Fabinho Hendo and Thiago all over WIjnaldum.

Wijnaldum defensively was shit...couldn't tackle or intercept.
Offensively was shit...couldn't create or shoot.

Only thing he did (consistently) well was slow everything down and taking a million touches whilst being available 99% of the time.

& I'd pick Fabinho Hendo and Thiago all over WIjnaldum.

Wijnaldum defensively was shit...couldn't tackle or intercept.
Offensively was shit...couldn't create or shoot.

Only thing he did (consistently) well was slow everything down and taking a million touches whilst being available 99% of the time.
Sure.

He has a point. Gini's defensive stats are amongst the worst of any of our midfielders with Fabs (to be expected), Hendo, Keita and all having far better. Possibly only Jones was worse on average but not last season.

Historical (All games, all years)

Tackles / Interceptions / Fouls per 90

Fabinho 2.7 / 1.8 / 1.2 (last season : 1.9 / 1.5 / 1.0)
Thiago : 2.3 / 1.8 / 1.2 (last season : 2.2 / 1.0 / 1.6)
Keita : 2.1 / 1.3 / 1.4 (last season : 1.1 / 0.0 / 1.3)
Hendo : 1.8 / 1.3 / 0.9 (last season : 0.9 / 1.3 / 0.3)
Milner : 1.7 / 1.0 / 1.1 (last season : 1.0 / 0.5 / 0.7)
Jones : 0.7 / 0.8 / 0.8 (last season : 0.7 / 0.8 / 0.8)
Gini : 1.0 / 0.6 / 0.6 (last season : 0.6 / 0.7 / 0.4)

Exactly, & I didn't need to see the stats to back up what I said....I watched every single game and could see he was hopeless.

Was a player who always kept it safe & simple, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom