• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How Good Was:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the likes of Pavel Nedved and Luis Figo belong in the same thread as fucking Letchkov.
I don't care what you're sure of! The thread was started with Ivanov in mind. How many cracking goals did Figo score against the reigning world champions at the world cup?

Dragan Stojkovic - Superb player in the talented Yugolsavia team that included Pancev, Savicevic , Boksic, Katanec and Prosinecki amongst others.

I dunno, loads of those Eastern European players like Stoichkov and Hagi seemed like greedy, thick grumpy bell ends, who couldn't be arsed half the time and were permanently at odds with their managers, team-mates and fans.

Gheorghe Haji was a joy to watch.

I've got a few more.

Enzo Scifo.

Jari Litmanen. I know he played for us and all that. But in his prime, boy was he a joy to watch.

Gianluca Lentini. At one time, he was arguably the best winger in the world until that unfortunate accident.

Everyone in that Milan team of the 80s.

I would mention Stoichkov and Romario too but they were definitely in the elite tier of players so they don't count for the sake of this thread's discussion.

If English players, I would include Mark Wright. I think he's one of the most underrated players of our club. If it wasn't for his injuries, he would have been up there with the legends. He played the now outdated libero/sweeper role as good as the likes of Sammer and Matthaeus.

I've got loads more. Just need time to remember. Good topic this.

Kevin Ratcliffe was a great player, shame he was Welsh and Bitter. He was great in the air, fast as fuck and a good passer.
One of the best centre-halves in the world at his peak.

Boban.

Mauro Camoranesi.

Suker. Did he ever belong in that elite group ? Can't remember. But he was a goal machine.

Pablo Aimar. The closest I've seen to Messi. Tragic how his career ended tho.

Dieter Eilts. Any discussion of best def midfielders of all time MUST include Eilts. He's one of a kind.

Mehmet Scholl. Another great player.

Sunday Elisah was brilliant at Ajax.
I always signed him in the old pro evo master league's.
Good times.

I dunno, loads of those Eastern European players like Stoichkov and Hagi seemed like greedy, thick grumpy bell ends, who couldn't be arsed half the time and were permanently at odds with their managers, team-mates and fans.

Not sure that applies to Hagi. He is incredibly popular among fans for the clubs he played for.

Davor Suker was a really boss striker back in the day. I know he got a big move to Madrid later in his career and I forgive him for having a late ineffectual traipse in the Premier league, but in his pomp he was a proper striker. Always remember his sumptuous chipping of Schmeichel for Croatia.

Good story regarding Alen Boksic at M'Borough. Not sure if it is true though.

When Alen Boksic was at Middlesbrough, his strike partner was Noel Whelan. This did not please Alen Boksic.

One Monday after Whelan had a particularly bad game, Boksic marched into the office at boro and said "How much does Whelan get paid per week"...the secretary told him and Boksic then asked, "how long does he have left on his contract", again the secretary told him and he left.Boksic walked into the office the next day and handed the secretary a cheque and said "that's Whelan's wages for the rest of his contract, now tell him to f**k off".

Some players that are never mentioned in top tier lists but were fucking world class (some of you might have heard of these):

Dalglish
Souness
Barnes

Something that always sticks in my mind for some reason is hearing some kids in the street once arguing about who was going to be Skuravy, or whatever his name was. He was top scorer at the American WC I think.

When I was a kicker-abouter, I always wanted to be those Russians like Belanov and Ratz who scored tons of screamers one WC, 86 I would imagine.

Alvaro Recoba
Dejan Savecivic
Roberto Baggio
Rivaldo
Roy Makaay
Diego Tristan
Pablo Aimar

you could go on and on

What are people's views on Giorgi Kinkladze. I only saw him towards the twilight of his career, but what a dribbler he was.

No genuine pace either - just sheer ball control and mastery over the shoulder-drop.

I remember as a very young boy being mesmerised by Careca at Mexico 86 (sorry to the Norn Iron boys). By comparison around the same time I remember Shoot magazine or some such linking us with Michael Laudrup (a couple of years after he nearly joined us from Brondby) and being flippin beside myself with excitement....having seen precisely zero footage whatsoever of what he was like as a player. I was still right however, because he was ace.

Hugo Sanchez sticks out when I was a kid, looking back probably only seen him play a few times but always thought he was class.

Possibly the most underrated LFC player of all time is Kevin Keegan. As much as Bill Shankly deserves the credit he gets for laying the foundations for us to become the hegemonic power in England, it was KK's arrival that triggered our meteoric rise. He was a superstar and his enthusiasm and charisma rubbed off on all around.

I understand the reasoning behind the lack of recognition that KK gets for his efforst; because he was replaced by the even better King Kenny but Keegan's role in our rise to greatness should never be underestimated.

Double Ballon D'Or winner Kevin Keegan? If only he hadn't come off his bike he'd have won Superstars.

Double Ballon D'Or winner Kevin Keegan? If only he hadn't come off his bike he'd have won Superstars.
Yeah he's not underrated by others but I think because King Kenny was his replacement he's often overlooked by us when discussing the LFC greats. I will always try and find a way to shoe-horn both KK's into any greatest ever LFC team.

I was too young to see him play live but after reading about him and watching him manage Newcastle and England etc I always felt that he was more loyal to Shankly than the club.

Yeah he's not underrated by others but I think because King Kenny was his replacement he's often overlooked by us when discussing the LFC greats. I will always try and find a way to shoe-horn both KK's into any greatest ever LFC team.

He might get into the squad but that'd be about it if I were picking the team. Fine player though he was, look at the competition for second striker - the King, Suarez and Beardo all had bags more sheer talent (as I'm sure Keegan himself would admit).

He might get into the squad but that'd be about it if I were picking the team. Fine player though he was, look at the competition for second striker - the King, Suarez and Beardo all had bags more sheer talent (as I'm sure Keegan himself would admit).
................................Clemence...............................
...........Lawrenson.......Hansen.........Hyypia...........
Gerrard...................Souness...............................Barnes.....
..............Keegan.......Dalglish........Suarez.....
................................Rush...................

Keegan > Beardsley......just.

I know that team is too attack-minded but with Souey protecting that awesome back 3 we'd be fairly tight at the back, and going forward......we'd make the current Barca team look impotent :)

I remember as a very young boy being mesmerised by Careca at Mexico 86 (sorry to the Norn Iron boys). By comparison around the same time I remember Shoot magazine or some such linking us with Michael Laudrup (a couple of years after he nearly joined us from Brondby) and being flippin beside myself with excitement....having seen precisely zero footage whatsoever of what he was like as a player. I was still right however, because he was ace.
Bang on about Careca. What a player he was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom