• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It was 7 years ago today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's Baros and Berger we are talking about, I accept that Milan Baros was a bit brainless (although he did win the Golden Boot in Euro 2004). Patrik Berger was a fucking genius though. He was one of those players who it was worth the admission fee just to see in action.

He was on about Berger and Smicer, I liked Berger, I was just taking the piss a bit.

"Genius" is an odd word to describe him though, he was never anything subtle or intelligent, he was full of great drive and a ferocious shot, the sort of directness we sorely miss.

Berger did have the ability to wrong-foot defences by doing something unpredictable though. That's what raised him to genius level in my opinion.

Berger was messed around badly (as were a number of other players TBF) by Uncle Roy, who had this thing about trying to change players' positions and had him starting on the right at one stage.

I always think it's a sign of a manager losing his grip when he starts playing his players in the wrong positions. Besides using Berger as a winger, which didn't suit him at all, Roy bought Jason McAteer as an attacking midfielder, and played him at right back, which in my opinion ruined a promising career.

Agree on all counts. One could add Leonhardsen, who (if he's ever mentioned) tends to get stick on here, but I was pleased we signed him as he'd given us no end of trouble playing as an AM for Wimbledon. Uncle Roy promptly tried to turn him into a wide midfielder and jiggered his career as well. Even Phil "Oo me goolies" Babb looked a good player in a back four for the Republic, but floundered when Uncle Roy tried to shoehorn him into a back three, for which he was never even close to being mobile enough.

Agree on all counts. One could add Leonhardsen, who (if he's ever mentioned) tends to get stick on here, but I was pleased we signed him as he'd given us no end of trouble playing as an AM for Wimbledon. Uncle Roy promptly tried to turn him into a wide midfielder and jiggered his career as well. Even Phil "Oo me goolies" Babb looked a good player in a back four for the Republic, but floundered when Uncle Roy tried to shoehorn him into a back three, for which he was never even close to being mobile enough.

Phil Babb was quick

Phil Babb was quick

That's what I'd thought when he arrived, but having to cover across for our left wing-back at times seemed to undo him completely.

Unpleasant piece of work BTW. When the Alan Kennedy tour I went on fetched up at Melwood, he and McMoneyman were the only two players who couldn't be @rsed to chat to anybody but stood to one side sneering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom