• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jekyll-&-Hyde Naby

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess the stats mean nothing then? Every single player does things in a match that could be better/different or that observers view differently depending on their perspective. How about forwards picking out a teammate in a better position when shooting which usually people moan about at the time and then forget?

You gave Fabs a 4, Jones a 4 and Naby Lad a 3. Seriously ? Just look at those stats above again. Some people on here skip past the good stuff as if it didn't happen and are focused on the mistakes (even if they weren't mistakes - like that back pass to Ali - conservative but not a mistake) above all else and fill the match thread (not talking about you) with verbal diarrhea but nary a word of praise (the reason I avoid it during the match because the thread rarely mirrors reality).

It's nice to see that some journos at least are not carrying that level of bias around with them. And not just any old journo in the article above but the excellent Jonathan Liew.

I'd like to see his performance reel from yesterday because he seemed to be doing a lot of work tackling, pressing and dribbling through their midfield. Do you have anything @King Binny ?
Yeah I rated him 3 then.. and I'd rate him 3 now.

I didn't think he was good enough for the role he was given.

It's an opinion, one which I've backed with observations rather than 'stats'.

If you were happy with his performance then cool.

It's the whole Lucas debate again. When you're watching someone playing badly but you get a constant stream of stats telling you they're playing well, they're not.
^ This. I dunno but I was constantly frustrated by Keita watching the game yesterday - but then the Guardian pulls out some stats and he's a world beater? Nah - he was shite and I believe my eyes on this one.

The difference between him and Lucas is that you know he's got a good game in him somewhere as he's done it once or twice, so you're willing him on thinking he's about to do something good, but he just isn't wired for this league.

This. He's another Vlad Smicer - good enough but not strong enough, mentally or physically, for the power and pace of top level football in this country, not consistently enough anyway. What's the point if we can't rely on the best version of Naby appearing on a consistent basis?

If naby has an impact like vladi did in a European final, I'll eat my hat

Always makes himself available for passes, which is good, but very often makes the wrong decision with the ball. His passing stat with the ball might be good, but it’s clearly obvious he could have made a different pass instead, that a better midfielder would. Or release the ball earlier, like an ideal Klopp-style midfielder would.
Him and Jones kills me.

Always makes himself available for passes, which is good, but very often makes the wrong decision with the ball. His passing stat with the ball might be good, but it’s clearly obvious he could have made a different pass instead, that a better midfielder would. Or release the ball earlier, like an ideal Klopp-style midfielder would.
Him and Jones kills me.

What that article said about him, how he's changed his game because of klopp's system, fair enough that might be the problem. He's not a natural recycler, he's used to being a marauding midfielder... Well that looks to be the same problem Curtis has. There's no room for a Stevie G in this system. Bit sad really, but I'll take the trophies instead.

Agreed.

Jones doesn't frustrate me as much. Mainly because he didn't cost 50M or so, and he doesn't look like entire body might fail on him every time someone breaths on him. But he does have similar problems with decision making.

I thought Keita was decent enough.

The thing about Keita is, we all know what he can do. He can create moments of brilliance, he just doesn't do it often enough. He is our 4th best midfielder and possibly our 2nd best in terms of being offensive.

If we wanted to win a game, i will keep him on just because he can be a game winner, moreso than Jones. The Thiago Hendo Keita combi was the best combination we had to try to win the game in the second half. Jones can't complain about being taken off since he didn't do any better.

I get the Naby criticism and thought last night he was ok but not great as it seems from the guardian etc.
But currently what our alternatives for that position apart from Fab and Thiago?
Hendo - He is without doubt the leader and able to do the lot but has to be time managed now.
Jones - so meh, just doesn’t seem to have what’s required to play in the three for us.
Elliot - possibility but still finding his way after a long lay off and serious injury and Klopp doesn’t seem keen to throw him since the lightweight Inter showing
Ox - Nope
Millie - capable on his day but his legs would be against the top teams such as Chelsea and City now

So we have to work with what we have and get the best out of him because not like we have huge amount of choice.

Anyway, get the hate but no one would be moaning if Naby sorted his feet out last night and scored.

I get the Naby criticism and thought last night he was ok but not great as it seems from the guardian etc.
But currently what our alternatives for that position apart from Fab and Thiago?
Hendo - He is without doubt the leader and able to do the lot but has to be time managed now.
Jones - so meh, just doesn’t seem to have what’s required to play in the three for us.
Elliot - possibility but still finding his way after a long lay off and serious injury and Klopp doesn’t seem keen to throw him since the lightweight Inter showing
Ox - Nope
Millie - capable on his day but his legs would be against the top teams such as Chelsea and City now

So we have to work with what we have and get the best out of him because not like we have huge amount of choice.

All this is correct. But we've (most of us) have known the Naby problem for years, and it hasn't been addressed. So it's going to get rightly criticised until he gets some consistency, does whatever the hell Matip did change from having crisps to bones and muscles, or gets replaced.

Anyway, get the hate but no one would be moaning if Naby sorted his feet out last night and scored.

I disagree. The Naby Lad crowd can get to fuck.

As someone else said against slower teams he can dictate the game in a masterful way but sometimes when the game is a bit fast I find heh unable to turn the tide and gets lost. Whereas Fabinho has the ability to change the tide of a game when its not going our way.

He shines when our pressing game is on point, and his teammates are close to him. He has a knack for nicking the ball off the toes of dribblers. Like the semi final against city.

Problem is when his teammates aren't supporting him, like the Madrid game last year and he failed to recognise that him pressing high up was pulling our midfield out of shape.

He shines when our pressing game is on point, and his teammates are close to him. He has a knack for nicking the ball off the toes of dribblers. Like the semi final against city.

Problem is when his teammates aren't supporting him, like the Madrid game last year and he failed to recognise that him pressing high up was pulling our midfield out of shape.

Exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom