• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joe Dough-mez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Do we think Gomez should be one of our 'statement' sales to help fund the FSG model of sell-to-buy?

He is clearly 4th choice, and I don't expect any resistance from him for a move. Moreover, I think a bunch of clubs would jump at the chance to buy him with the English premium. He'd fit well in a back 3 especially.

In the current market of Ben White going for £50m I would see him in the same bracket, on talent he should be more but with the injury background I think he has a lower cost ceiling.

I wouldn't be sad to see him leave in Jan/ the summer, especially if Rhys Williams comes back as a more assured 5th choice behind Nat. It doesn't feel a risk too far if we were to wait until the summer, in my opinion.

Thoughts.

After Konates performance on Sunday I'd say we could easily sell him on. However. Matip is still made of paper and neither Nat or Rhys have pace so for now I'd keep him

He’s shite. Sell.

I thought he’d have a high ceiling but he seems to have regressed. Even before his injury he always seemed to be caught under the ball. At times his pace was a great asset but now he seems slower. Is it permanent or just needing games to get back up to speed, I don’t know.

I think he’s probably the highest valued player we can get rid of and probably wouldn’t miss. If Newcastle came begging in January we’d do nicely out of it. Phillips would take his place in the squad.

He’s shite. Sell.

I thought he’d have a high ceiling but he seems to have regressed. Even before his injury he always seemed to be caught under the ball. At times his pace was a great asset but now he seems slower. Is it permanent or just needing games to get back up to speed, I don’t know.

I think he’s probably the highest valued player we can get rid of and probably wouldn’t miss. If Newcastle came begging in January we’d do nicely out of it. Phillips would take his place in the squad.
Yeah I agree.
Some say he looked better with Philips partnering him but it's probably because Klopp had a talk with him at half time.
I was a bit reluctant to say this before, but Gomez doesn't seem that intelligent on the pitch. His reading of the game is not good at all and his positioning is just OK.
The thing is that his pace bailed him out before, he seems to have lost some of it so he looks even worse now.

If we're being honest, Philips is the better defender at the moment and Klopp should acknowledge that by playing him more.

Last edited:
He’s at his lowest value atm so no.

Wait until he gets a run of games when we get the inevitable injuries at the back.

Absolutely not.

Virgil has just come back from a serious injury and remains to be seen if he’ll be as good as before, plus he’s 30.
Matip 30 and can’t be relied on to stay fit.
Konate just settling in, so verdict is out.

Nat & Reese not up to standard required.

Joe is 24 and is the quickest CB we have and vital when playing the high line. Give him time to get back to his very best. As we’ve seen with our rivals, quality CBs are hard to find and he is one.

I think we should keep him. As others have said we've got two 30 year old CBs and Gomez has just returned from injury.
Keep him and have that depth at CB this season.

If Newcastle come knocking on our door next summer with a massive bid, then we'll have to rethink and probably sell him.

Just remember - if we sell him it depletes our home grown contingent even further - so we’d need to be buying another home grown player to return lace him.

We already only have 7 - meaning we couldn’t register a full compliment of 25 senior players. We registered 24... and that included Karius as one of the non-homegrown players.

Gomez is actually younger than Phillips.

I’m with Dreamie - his value is at a low point - the time to sell is likely the end of the season, if we can get his value up and get more for him.

It’s hard to say he’s regressed - because he hasn’t played consistently enough - Van Dijk isn’t playing at his top level yet either and Gomez looks to be a little behind him.

I still fancy Phillips will be sold first - even then, I think that’s risky at the minute.

I’d prefer us to fuck Karius off and bring in the 2 players- one home grown, one not - that we can to strengthen the rest of the team without selling anyone just yet.

It’s only a matter of time before he starts asking to leave anyway.

Before he got injured he was playing pretty regularly. Not necessarily as an automatic starter, he was usually behind Matip in the pecking order, but now it seems that Konate has overtaken him. He was also in the England squad before. His England prospects don’t look so great now, and that’s a team where Harry Maguire is first choice in defence! He’s bound to be a bit pissed off.

I think his contract does run for a few more years and presumably Matip will eventually snap by then, but that still potentially leaves Gomez as back up.

Yeah, in an ideal World he is worth keeping. He is a good player, he is English, he is actually still young, so can improve. But if we are in a position where we need to rebuild other areas of the team (which we really will be in soon), and we have to sell someone to do that, then we would have to consider selling him.

Wouldn't be against it for the right price. I rate Phillips and Konate enough to be sufficient backup to VVD and Matip. There's an element of risk about it, though - VVD, Matip, Konate haven't played a lot of football in the last 18 months - but operating with risk has become standard practice under FSG.

Wouldn't be against it for the right price. I rate Phillips and Konate enough to be sufficient backup to VVD and Matip. There's an element of risk about it, though - VVD, Matip, Konate haven't played a lot of football in the last 18 months - but operating with risk has become standard practice under FSG.

Agreed. And, Rhys and Koumetio are coming through, as well. Rhys seems like he can make it, at least as a back-up. Koumetio has the key elements, if they develop and gel.

Wasn't there some talk about his agent wanting to get him a move to London? I expect that if Konate establishes himself ahead of him in the pecking order, then he'd start agitating for a move pretty soon. I'd sell if someone offered us 40 million.

As things stand though, he's quite a luxury as a 4th choice CB. His form and conditioning may not be the best (understandably so), but he's still a fairly high quality player.

Agreed. And, Rhys and Koumetio are coming through, as well. Rhys seems like he can make it, at least as a back-up. Koumetio has the key elements, if they develop and gel.
I'm not too confident about those two.
Rhys has barely played for Swansea this season. It's so bad atm, he might get recalled.
Koumetio hasn't been that impressive in the games I've seen.

Still early, but I'm not that confident.

His form has been pretty patchy recently and more worryingly his pace doesn't seem to be what it was.

That said, I've always been a fan and I think he can get back to being a very good player. Let's wait and see where we're at in the summer - as others have said, I suspect he might want to move on himself.

If he leaves it will be cos he wants to leave, imo. If he's fit enough and isn't more than 4th choice I'd expect him to leave. Either to Serie A or to Spurs

I seem to recall that in previous seasons, Gomez would be sub par to begin with, but after a few games find his stride & be excellent. So maybe he is the sort of player who needs a run of games to get up to speed ... unfortunately he is not likely to get them unless we have a couple of injuries

The home grown quota is a concern. I would assume Ox will be gone and if we are to dispose off Joe we will need to pay abit of money to get back some english premium to top up the numbers.

Beyond Ox, I wouldn't be looking to actively sell anybody. We spent bugger all last season (Konate was more than recouped) and we're coming out of pandemic costs now, so the club can pony some bloody cash up for once.

The home grown quota is a concern. I would assume Ox will be gone and if we are to dispose off Joe we will need to pay abit of money to get back some english premium to top up the numbers.

It doesn’t make an awful lot of difference really though. I mean, the 25 man squad (24 in our case) is just admin in some ways, because clubs can also have an unlimited number of under 21s.

It obviously doesn’t look amazing that we don’t fill a 25 man squad but I guess that Jones and Williams will be getting to the age soon where they are in that main squad anyway.

The real restriction is on foreign players and we are at our limit there.

He's club trained as well, not association trained so it will be hard to replace him in the 25 man CL.

Reason why we have 24 players registered is because we only have 3 club trained players in TAA, Kelleher and Gomez. Jones should fall under this quota next year.

He was fantastic in that brief period last season when he was our only defender.

The criticism is probably a bit unfair as, even VVD has struggled with form since coming back from injury, so it's unfair to expect Gomez to be back to his best instantly. Unlike VVD, because of the increased competition this season, he can't play his way into form.

Klopp (much like Glock) will have all the stats from training and know for a fact if he has lost pace. So if he does decide to sell then I'd be disappointed to lose a talented and well liked member of the squad, but I'd trust Klopp.

He we did sell him, we'd probably still need to sign another defender to take his place, as Klopp doesn't seem to rate Phillips. So I'm not sure how far that money would go towards helping rebuild the team. Also he'd likely go to a 'top' club in London, and if he magically got over his injuries he would strengthen most of those clubs significantly.... and I'd rather not do that.

Gomez is a player who has a really high ceiling when he's at his very best but I've never been a big fan to be honest.
Positional sense and lack of awareness for a centre back at the top level leaves alot to be desired.

His best spell for us was in the opening 3 or 4 months of 18/19 season. Was excellent alongside Van Dijk but that injury before Christmas really set him back and he hasn't fully recovered.

Could see him slotting in at Arsenal/Spurs or West Ham and kick-starting his career again because I do think a parting of the ways might be best for all parties.

He is a rare player in our recent history who a) have market value b) is actually pretty good c) isn't a starter.

Seems an obvious candidate if we need to sell, but obviously it weakens our depth and our number of home grown players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom