• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Konoplyanka (a tiny bit NSFW, sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't predict anything (the situation is very fluid), but here are some facts. Ukrainian Football League is suspended indefinitely. Dnipro's owner Kolomoyskiy has been just appointed the governor of Dnipropetrivsk region. The team is way down his list of priorities at the moment. If the league doesn't start sometime soon (which seems unlikely), foreign players and manager Juande Ramos and his staff will probably leave the team. In Chornomorets Odessa 5 foreign players were allowed to cancel their contracts today.

I wonder if we can ask Dnipro to allow Konoplyanka to train with us until his transfer can be registered in the summer. In Ukraine that's a pretty common practice.

I can't predict anything (the situation is very fluid), but here are some facts. Ukrainian Football League is suspended indefinitely. Dnipro's owner Kolomoyskiy has been just appointed the governor of Dnipropetrivsk region. The team is way down his list of priorities at the moment. If the league doesn't start sometime soon (which seems unlikely), foreign players and manager Juande Ramos and his staff will probably leave the team. In Chornomorets Odessa 5 foreign players were allowed to cancel their contracts today.

I wonder if we can ask Dnipro to allow Konoplyanka to train with us until his transfer can be registered in the summer. In Ukraine that's a pretty common practice.

how are you coping with what is happening?

Are you based in Ukraine ? Hope you and your family are OK if so. Would be really interested in your view of events, must be quite worrying.

This is like that one time my yank mate phoned to see if I was ok after Diana died.
And were you? Apart from the Newcastle game being cancelled that is?

I think a potential civil war is a tiny bit different though...

I was DJing in a club in town that night. Massive place at the bottom of Brunswick St (Impact) opposite the Liver buildings that had just opened to try to compete with all the big ones on the other side of town. I heard and told the MC (Cyanide, you all remember him don't you?) and he announced it dead loud and happy and everyone cheered. It was quite clear to me that the crowd was spazzed on pills and didn't know what he'd just said but it's a lovely memory anyways. As was the club. I think it was only open for 2 months before the police shut it. The guy who owned it lost half a million quid, or so he said.

It wasn't till we got out the place at 6am that we found out that she hadn't be announced dead yet. Someone had got carried away with it all earlier on. And it wasn't until the next day that the deeply disturbing news revealed that the Newcastle game had been cancelled. At Kenny Dalglish's request as it turned out, a fact so shameful that I have never even it uttered since.

It was a couple of days after that my mate called. It was being reported in America from those gates were the first ever menopausal males had gathered to have breakdowns, and they thought the whole country was engulfed in grief, and not half stoned waiting for the TV to get back to normal. It was a very embarrassing time to be British.

And were you? Apart from the Newcastle game being cancelled that is?

I think a potential civil war is a tiny bit different though...

Absolutely.

Elton John will have his work cut out finding one of his songs for this one.

Thanks for asking.

Well, I live in New York City and my family is here too, so thankfully no one close to me is in immediate physical danger. As for my thoughts on the situation, I think at this point most of Ukraine is finally ready to become a real European nation with real democracy and rule of law. The way people united to kick out the thieves and thugs in charge really made me more proud of being a Ukrainian than at any time I can remember. And the way regular people organized and how much they sacrificed in order to defeat the oppressive state machine was just amazing and hugely inspiring.

Unfortunately Mr. Putin didn't appreciate seeing a fledging democracy on his border. He knows if Ukraine breaks free, many Russians will want to follow suit. He thinks he is fighting for his own survival by crushing people's revolution in Ukraine (and he is probably right). All the "ethnic tensions" people talk about are artificially inflamed and sometimes outright staged*. There are generally no problems between Ukrainians and Russians. I am reading lots of Russian blogs and Internet media now (the only free kinds of press still available in Russia); many Russian intellectuals now compare the current non-stop bombardment of anti-Western propaganda to the hysteria during the crushing of the "Prague Spring" in 1968 by USSR. Their methods didn't change much since then.

Ukraine can't possibly match Russia as a military power – besides Russia is a nuclear power, whereas Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (which was 3rd biggest in the world, btw) in exchange for promises of protection and non-instrusion by the UK, US and Russia. Now many people in Ukraine think this move might have been a huge mistake. We depend on the UK and the US to keep their end of the bargain and find some way to bring Putin back to his senses before he starts another bloody war in Europe.

*---------
There is a "troupe" of women who are going between different Ukrainian cities pretending to be locals in each city, crying in front of TV cameras and telling everyone willing to listen stories about how they have been "threatened" by "nationalists". Probably paid Russian actors, because so far the same group of women have been spotted and photographed in 3 different cities in 2 days. There are also groups of men going between cities destroying Ukrainian flags at official buildings and trying to incite pro-Russian crowds (the said crowds partially consisting of other Russians who just crossed the border). The border security between the countries is very lax, you don't need a visa to enter so this kind of stuff is very hard to stop.

There was also a video "report" widely circulated on Russian state-controlled TV showing how masked "nationalists" shoot at Russian soldiers and the soldiers' bodies lying on the pavement. On closer inspection the "bodies" seemed to move, the passerby seemed inexplicably calm during a firefight, there was no blood anywhere and the rifles of the "nationalists" turned out to be exclusive to the Russian combat troops. Later even Russian officials had to admit there were no shootings and no casualties.

Where did that anti-Royalist post on Princess Diana's death by Woland go ? It was on this page.

I quoted it and then in the reply it didn't appear. Seems he (or a Mod) has deleted it. Regardless :

That is one of the most disgusting posts I have ever had the misfortune to read. If it was possible to 'unread it' I would. Being anti-Royalist is one thing, to jest and crow at the death of a much loved (to many) woman and mother is quite another.

You are now the only person I have on Ignore.

Thanks for asking.

Well, I live in New York City and my family is here too, so thankfully no one close to me is in immediate physical danger. As for my thoughts on the situation, I think at this point most of Ukraine is ready to become a real European nation with real democracy and rule of law. The way people united to kick out the thieves and thugs in charge really made me more proud of being a Ukrainian than at any time I can remember. And the way regular people organized and how much they sacrificed in order to defeat the oppressive state machine was just amazing and hugely inspiring.

Unfortunately Mr. Putin didn't appreciate seeing a fledging democracy on his border. He knows if Ukraine breaks free, many Russians will want to follow suit. He thinks he is fighting for his own survival by crushing people's revolution in Ukraine (and he is probably right). All the "ethnic tensions" people talk about are artificially inflamed and sometimes outright staged. There are generally no problems between Ukrainians and Russians. I am reading lots of Russian blogs and Internet media now (the only free kinds of press still available in Russia); many Russian intellectuals now compare the current non-stop bombardment of anti-Western propaganda to the hysteria during the crushing of the "Prague Spring" in 1968 by USSR. Their methods didn't change much since then.

Ukraine can't possibly match Russia as a military power – besides Russia is a nuclear power, whereas Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal in exchange for promises of protection and non-instrusion by the UK, US and Russia. Now many people in Ukraine think this move might have been a huge mistake. We depend on the UK and the US to keep their end of the bargain and find some way to bring Putin back to his senses before he starts another bloody war in Europe.

You're in NYC? We should meet for a beer sometime, it'd be good to meet someone who knows almost as much about the game as me.

You're in NYC? We should meet for a beer sometime, it'd be good to meet someone who knows almost as much about the game as me.

I am definitely less knowledgeable than you because the highest level I've ever played at myself was a pick-up game with local kids :) But yes, it would be lovely to watch LFC win the league in good company with some old friends from SCM – this applies as well to @localny and anyone else in the big apple. My new favorite place is the ChipShop in Brooklyn, I sometimes go to Woodwork too and, though I don't particularly like it, Nevada Smiths.

So after the owner resisted the transfer as hard as he could, a month later the league is suspended anyway, crazy.

I was DJing in a club in town that night. Massive place at the bottom of Brunswick St (Impact) opposite the Liver buildings that had just opened to try to compete with all the big ones on the other side of town. I heard and told the MC (Cyanide, you all remember him don't you?) and he announced it dead loud and happy and everyone cheered. It was quite clear to me that the crowd was spazzed on pills and didn't know what he'd just said but it's a lovely memory anyways. As was the club. I think it was only open for 2 months before the police shut it. The guy who owned it lost half a million quid, or so he said.

It wasn't till we got out the place at 6am that we found out that she hadn't be announced dead yet. Someone had got carried away with it all earlier on. And it wasn't until the next day that the deeply disturbing news revealed that the Newcastle game had been cancelled. At Kenny Dalglish's request as it turned out, a fact so shameful that I have never even it uttered since.

It was a couple of days after that my mate called. It was being reported in America from those gates were the first ever menopausal males had gathered to have breakdowns, and they thought the whole country was engulfed in grief, and not half stoned waiting for the TV to get back to normal. It was a very embarrassing time to be British.

I remember Glen yes. ;)

@Rurik Bird now as well as @ walesnj. That makes 5 of us in the area. But there is likely more than we know, Where are you DS?, oh and I never adopted American sports alas
I'm in a town just south of Boston. Live round the corner from Gilette Stadium where the NE Patriots play. It's hard not to be a fan - Boston is such a massive sports town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom