• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Make Oxlade-Chamberlain believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoWASright

If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot
The Torygraph had a long long read on Oxlade-Chamberlain’s year out. I’m on my phone so can’t be arsed binnying the article.

[article]
It was a surreal feeling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain recalls, out on the Olympic Stadium pitch in Kiev around midnight on May 26 with the Champions League final lost, the party very much over and a fresh dawning that it could be another year until he played football again.

His newly-reconstructed right knee was in a brace, and he can chuckle now at the absurdity of trying to propel himself around the turf on crutches while also wiping away tears and applauding the Liverpool fans. His intention had been to console his beaten team-mates and then he felt something quite profoundly. One month earlier he had raced after Aleksandar Kolarov to challenge the Roma defender for a ball at Anfield in the semi-final first leg and a one-in-a-million collision had sent a shockwave through his knee that left in its wake a trail of extraordinary damage.

“An injury, within an injury, within an injury,” is how he describes it, but until the end in Kiev, he had not allowed himself to think too much about what lay ahead. “That stadium is really big but it felt far away in the middle of the pitch, looking at the Liverpool fans,” he recalls. “It was just like a vortex. Realising where I really was and what had really happened. It all just hit me at once. I had never really got upset. The day I found out the news about the injury I was choking up but I am not that sort of person that feels down.”

Watching the final against Real Madrid he was absorbed by the feeling that he could have made a difference. His role under Jurgen Klopp had been drummed into him over hours of training at Melwood, a new regime at a new club where he felt utterly transformed in the space of nine months. A structure of play that made him feel that he knew exactly what he was doing. He had a new seniority, at a club where he was no longer considered a kid. A manager who told him – in fact, ordered him – to shoot when he had the chance, gradually unpicking years of feeling he should defer to senior players.

“Jurgen was saying to me, ‘On the pitch you need to start being the man. Go and be the man’. In so many words he just said that, ‘You are good at shooting, just shoot. You don’t need to keep passing. I want you to shoot.’ It sounds silly, doesn’t it? Playing at the level I did for seven years and being told I need to shoot.”

Against Manchester City in the quarter-final first leg he had done just that, a strike that flew past goalkeeper Ederson and helped establish a lead that would end in victories home and away. This new way of playing was an awakening for him. At Arsenal he had worked with a psychologist to try to throw off the shackles of something he noticed had transferred from his personal life into his professional life. He had always tried hard to please people – friends, family, team-mates – sometimes at the expense of his own wishes. The reluctance to shoot came also from the instinct that he must “always find a better option”. It had become representative of his whole life.

“Please the manager, please the fans, please my team-mates,” he says. “Be the guy that pulled everyone together and helped everyone. If Gibbo [Kieran Gibbs] needed a lift home, no problem, have a lift home. You need that Alexis [Sanchez]? No problem. Or my friends wanted to be at the house. Because I can do it and it’s not really an issue I would say ‘Yes’. I didn’t have control of my own life, even though I should have.”

Then he found himself driving with the ball towards City’s penalty area, with the words of Klopp in his mind. “He always used to say to me, ‘What’s the difference between you and Mo [Salah]? Why does he score so many goals? Because I watch you both shoot in training and you’re just as good. It’s because Mo believes he can and you don’t. Simple. Mo believes he is going to score and Mo does score. You? You don’t believe it yet’”.

In those months leading up to the Roma game his life, and his football, felt like it was starting to make sense. He was playing centre midfield, the position he always considered his best. The intensity of the training had changed him physically. For the first time he could play three games in a week without any problems. It took him “to a different level, to a gear I didn’t know I had”. Then came the collision, followed by that moment in Kiev and suddenly he was contemplating months of isolation, nurturing a broken knee back to health in tiny incremental steps.

It was a case of - now what? What the hell was the point in this? It was all meant to be so worth it. I have done this injury for the lads in the semis, now I am screwed. Now we have got nothing. I almost didn’t mind missing the World Cup because we were going to win the Champions League. It all just hit me big. Seeing the lads so upset and being so close. We really wanted that.”

He thinks back to the Real Madrid players, casually celebrating a third straight title, a triumph that had become routine for them. He knows it sounds daft but he cannot help the thought. “I kind of felt we deserved it more than them … because they have it every year.” For the previous 33 days one thought had dominated his emotions. “I was just thinking, ‘Let’s win the Champions League and then it’s worth it. Everything is worth it’.”

We are sitting in the kitchen of Oxlade-Chamberlain’s home in Cheshire going through the story of his injury in detail, a total of five hours of interviews conducted over several months, looking through the pictures on his phone of his knee before surgery and afterwards. Then the video of what he calls “my second procedure that nobody knows about”. On Aug 1, his surgeon Andy Williams put him under general anaesthetic again to manipulate his right knee to help its flexion. The video is stark. Oxlade-Chamberlain’s sizeable sprinter’s thigh being wrestled backwards by the eminent surgeon and the scar tissue audibly tearing and popping. “I like that video,” Oxlade-Chamberlain says, “because I can hear him really doing something to me.”

The story of his injury could not be told without the story of his move from Arsenal to Liverpool in the summer of 2017, and the uncertainty that accompanied it. Uncertainty because he had left one of English football’s greatest clubs, Arsenal, for whom he had signed in 2011, one week before his 18th birthday. In leaving Arsenal he was also stepping away from one of the guiding influences of his career, Arsene Wenger who, in that way that great managers are with young players, was more than just a coach. The bond was strong there, and his feeling of gratitude towards Wenger has never wavered. “I feel like I wouldn’t be the person I am without his faith,” he says.

Now, at the end of 12 months’ rehabilitation he has finally returned, playing his first competitive minutes of the most recent league win over Huddersfield Town, with a rebuilt right knee and a re-strung lateral hamstring in the same leg. At 25, he is still young but the break has given time for reflection. He wants to be honest about how it is to leave one of English football’s powerhouses for another, and cope with change, success and injury.

Curious fact: the stock of rentable houses in that Cheshire enclave to the south of Manchester which offer big-name footballers the requisite privacy is small. New signings battle over them from the beginning of the summer when the recruitment process begins for the region’s biggest clubs. For instance, Salah, who arrived on June 22, 2017, already had his home by the time Oxlade-Chamberlain signed for Liverpool for £35 million, on deadline day Aug 31. He spent eight weeks living at the Titanic hotel in Liverpool where he would often pass Gylfi Sigurdsson, then Everton’s record signing, at breakfast. “Both in the same situation,” he says, “both scrambling for a house, probably viewing the same house and then it’s like a race.”

It should be said that Oxlade-Chamberlain finds this as funny and surreal as you do. He has a home in London with his girlfriend Perrie Edwards, of the pop group Little Mix, so it made sense to rent in the north-west. “I might see a house and be stalling for a day and next thing I get a call and, oh no, Aaron Lennon has paid up front. I go and view a house and I’m told, ‘Just to let you know, Riyad Mahrez is viewing it today’. I’m thinking, ‘Oh God, I’ve got my work cut out there - Mahrez has signed for City’”.

As much as he warmed to life at the club straight away, it all contributed to the feeling in those early days that things were not quite developing as he had planned. By mid-November 2017, when the England squad for the Germany and Brazil friendlies was selected, he was yet to start a league game. Gareth Southgate left him out. “Then Jurgen pulled me aside and this is when I first started to see the sort of guy he was. It was at a time when I wasn’t performing. I felt I still hadn’t proved him right in signing me yet. He said, ‘He [Southgate] hasn’t picked you, has he?’ I was like, ‘No, boss’. Part of me is thinking, ‘Any chance? I came here when I was in the England squad and now I’m not. I haven’t played’.

“He said, ‘It’ll change soon, don’t worry about it’. Then he started me the next game, at West Ham. I scored and we won and he said ‘It will be soon, don’t worry’. That was the first time I saw that when things didn’t seem like they were going well at this place, you are still in there. I had been used to it being different. That if you start edging out the way, you stay out the way for a while.”

Liverpool players train intensely. The nature of the last two seasons, with the club progressing far in Europe, has meant little more than a single day off a month with the intention that the entire squad – regulars or otherwise - are at the same fitness level.

“For my first two three months I really struggled physically. It was completely different from what I was used to. How you see him [Klopp] on the pitch, shouting - that is the same in training if you are not running. It was different at Arsenal. There, the next day I would be doing a separate training session or sneaking into the recovery session with the boys who started. Whereas here I am training the same as those who did not play. I was hanging on in there.

“When you make it over the brow of the hill you are flying. I felt I would not be getting injured. I could sprint all day and no hamstrings were going anywhere. Muscularity … I felt as strong as I had ever been, just from playing.”

“By Christmas,” he says, “I felt unstoppable”. But it was not just the fitness, it was the role that Klopp had carved for him as part of that central midfield three, the position he had always wanted to play. The reason he had joined Arsenal from Southampton in 2010 was because Wenger had told him that he too saw him ultimately as a central midfielder. It was that which had made Wenger stand apart from other interested clubs when it came to him leaving Southampton at 17.

“I knew my role and I knew where I had to run. When Trent [Alexander-Arnold] gets the ball, Salah comes to feet and I am off. Sometimes if Salah goes inside I play on the wing for a bit. We had a certain way of playing together and it just became so easy. It was like for the first time I wasn’t free-styling the whole game. There were times in my younger career when if I had been out the game for ten minutes I would start wandering and trying to get involved and then lose sight of what I needed to do. You start forcing things. Here, they [his team-mates] know what I’m doing. If they don’t get me the ball then they will be getting told by him [Klopp].”

And then there was the shooting. “The lessons I learned at Arsenal helped me in so many ways, but it did mean I had to adapt when I left. The emphasis was different there. More about trying to find a better option. That was Arsenal’s way and it had worked for them well. So, when I saw a run and heard a shout my instinct would be to play it. The boss [Klopp] hates that. He would say ‘I don’t watch you shooting all week [in training] to try to be Iniesta and thread a pass’. He would scream at me ‘SHOOOOOT!’ It goes in or it misses but in his head it is, ‘So what? Mo and Sadio are running in’.”

He tells a story of his only cross words with Klopp at Old Trafford in the 2-1 defeat to Manchester United in March when the German was furious with him in the first half for not shooting enough. In one instance Oxlade-Chamberlain had thought Sadio Mane in a better position and had tried to play him in. A dialogue ensued between player and manager on the touchline and in the second half Oxlade-Chamberlain resolved to shoot every time. “Probably too optimistic”, he admits.

“When the emotions had settled from losing the boss said, ‘You caused me all sorts of problems. When you kept shooting in the second half and I was getting angry, Jose [Mourinho] turned to me and said, “But at least he listens, Jurgen”. I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or punch him’. We were both laughing.”

It would be wrong to say that the goals were flying in, he scored five all season, although he felt differently. He had always been eager to please, always looked for the pass. Not just on the pitch. It was years before, in restaurants, he started asking people who approached him mid-meal for a picture to wait until he was finished. At last he was learning to be a bit selfish.

“I was 24 but I didn’t go from being a kid to becoming a man quick enough. I got chucked into this world of ‘Okay, you’re 18, deal with it’ and I just put on a front. But the basic things in life I never really got a hold of. Little traits off the pitch I was taking into the workplace.

“It comes down to, what is your personality like? There are other players who don’t care if you are moaning. But I did care. If I shoot and miss and someone is moaning then next time I am more likely to pass because that was me as a character. That was the biggest thing that shouted out to me.

“The boys that do the best, they are ruthless. You can’t keep everyone happy. Some people will like you, some won’t. Most of the time I wanted to please everyone and make them proud and it is just impossible to do.”

He had left Arsenal for the benefit of his career and now he felt he was taking the next step. As a young player he had watched Steven Gerrard take responsibility, when others might have hesitated. He noticed how a player’s confidence affected the way people thought about him. “When Stevie used to have a shot, I would think, ‘It makes sense’. Now I was starting to feel that. I was on the way to showing I can be the man to try a few of these things. It feels quite nice. It’s a weird thing. You have been around for seven years at Arsenal and Southampton but you are only starting to find your mojo.”

What needs to be said first about Oxlade-Chamberlain’s injury is that he does not feel sorry for himself. He is of a naturally sunny disposition and above that he understands that some people live with disability their whole lives. He was on crutches for six weeks. So even the times when he had to sit on the loo with his leg propped up straight, or when he would wake in the middle of the night immobile and bursting for a pee, he kept it in perspective. He had the best possible treatment from one of the world’s leading surgeons. He had the full expertise of Liverpool’s medical department for his rehab. He even had as many disposable bedpans as he wanted. It was just that, being a nice chap, he felt he could not wake his partner Perrie to empty them in the middle of the night.

Oxlade-Chamberlain’s father Mark was an England international. His mother Wendy is a physiotherapist. Alex himself knows the muscle groups, ligaments and tendons well, to the extent that he admits the real physios grow tired of his zest for diagnosis. He had also been relatively seriously injured before, and it had cost him dearly – missing the 2014 World Cup and later, Euro 2016. So when, after 15 minutes against Roma he made that contact with Kolarov, he knew it was bad. The Serb had stepped out sideways to protect the ball from the tackle coming down his right side meaning that it was a case of two directly opposing forces colliding. Anywhere else on Oxlade-Chamberlain’s leg and it would have been a bruise. It was his knee. His leg “bowed” around that of his opponent. In that moment of hyperextension the extent of the damage was astonishing.

He ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament, the scourge of the footballer. Nine months’ recovery minimum. It was likely that the ACL was the last to go in the impact and in some respects was the least of his worries. Normally the ACL is damaged by a jolt or an awkward landing but in this case it was sheer force coming from the collision point on the inside of his knee. His lateral hamstring tore off the bone, the head of fibula, and recoiled back up. His lateral collateral ligament was ruptured.

It would be days until he discovered all this. At first he tried to play on but the leg buckled every time he put weight on it. At his side was Liverpool’s doctor, Andy Massie. “Not a random doctor. The doctor you speak to every day. He knows your interests, your aspirations and he has to be the one to drop you the news. The line I hate the most is, ‘It’s best we come off’. I’d rather they were like, ‘No, your knee is knackered, you’re off.’ In my head I am thinking rationally. Can I play on? Can I make the final? Can I make the World Cup? Yes or no. I don’t want in-between. I want to know.”

In the treatment room, still in his kit, he asked that question again and again of Richie Partridge, the former Liverpool youth team player and now a physiotherapist. But there could be no definitive answers and beyond the four walls he could hear Liverpool taking control of the semi-final. He recalls “the muffled roar” of goal after goal being scored. By the time he turned on a television they were five up. He knew that he could be missing a Champions League final.

“Your world stops,” he says, “and everything just continues.” We discuss the relentlessness of football, talking at a time when the death of the Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala is uppermost in everyone’s minds. “That is the most horrendous thing,” Oxlade-Chamberlain says, “and then all of a sudden we play a game and it’s, ‘Wahey, Salah scored!’ ‘Vardy scored! Hurray!’ It’s hard to comprehend. Some people’s lives are finished right now and we are all just carrying on.

It had been a struggle to get his kit off for a shower, and then he had to hold his leg straight, his right knee best described as “wobbly”. Driving was impossible and he had to be taken to his scan three days later in Cheshire and then on to Melwood, Liverpool’s training ground. By the time he arrived, Dr Massie already had the scan results. It was nice to be back among the squad again, joyful at the prospect of a Champions League final drawing ever closer. But he could not put off what he was there for, and when he shut the door it was just him and the doctor in the room.

“You are trying to suss them out quickly. Our doc is very jokey. Not that he doesn’t care but even if something seems really bad he will manage to be very positive and upbeat. I saw it in him straight away and I thought ‘Ah, no’. I just remember going from being okay to trying not to cry. I couldn’t believe what he told me. He just started with the words, ‘I’m sorry, it’s not good at all’.”
[/article]

[article]
In 20 seconds, Oxlade-Chamberlain went from wondering whether he had the chance of making the World Cup finals to asking himself whether he would play the following season. He had a few days to go away and come to terms with it but decisions had to be made quickly. He had never had surgery before in his life. The club sent through his options. It is down to the patient to make the final decision on the man or woman whom he will entrust to save his career.

He found telling his team-mates the hardest. When it came to putting into words what had happened to him he admits he struggled again. “What do they say? Milly [James Milner] who is a stern sort of character was kind of lost for words. He put his arm round me. You can see them hurting for you and that made me emotional.”

It needed someone to lighten the mood. “Robbo [Andy Robertson] was the only one who put me at ease. As he left me he clapped his hands together and said, ‘Well, at least I won’t have to chase your passes for a year’. He made me laugh and feel a bit better. The more they tried to console me, the more I was welling up.”

He rang everyone he knew for advice on surgeons. His close friends in football have been there before: Carl Jenkinson has suffered one ACL rupture, George Thorne has had two. As one with a keen interest in his physiology, the ACL was not even in the top two of Oxlade-Chamberlain’s list of worries. He is, as he says himself, “a sprint athlete” and for him to do what he does, the hamstring has to be robust.

All the advice pointed to Andy Williams. He had the operation on May 1 at the Cromwell hospital in London. Williams, a veteran of 10,000-plus knee surgeries, had assured him he had every confidence but there are conventions to be observed and, before he was wheeled in, papers to sign. “When you read the legal forms it’s like ‘You might get an infection’, or ‘I can’t guarantee you will play again’. The list goes on. It’s not a great feeling. But at this point I got into the mind-set of getting on with it.”

To fix his lateral hamstring, Williams took an 11cm graft from his medial hamstring. When it came to his ACL, Oxlade-Chamberlain went into surgery not knowing wither the rupture would require a full reconstruction. If that was the case then a second donor area, his patella tendon, was to be used to construct a new ligament. The difference was important. Without reconstruction he could be back in four to six months, in time for the start of this season. With reconstruction he was looking at much longer.

He woke hours later, still a little delirious. He wanted to know about the ACL. If there was a second scar running down the front of his knee he would know that a graft had been taken from his patella and a full reconstruction had taken place. “A porter was the first person I saw. I was completely out of it. I kept saying: ‘IS IT MY ACL OR NOT?’ He said, ‘Sir, I don’t know’. I said, ‘Listen, just check the front of my knee, is there a scar down the front?’ He lifted up the cover and said ‘Yes, there’s a scar’. I said thank you and went back to sleep.”

When you are an injured footballer the summer is cancelled. The Liverpool squad returned from Kiev in the early hours of the morning on Sunday 27 May. They collected their cars at Melwood and said their farewells, some of them knowing that their time at the club was over. ForOxlade-Chamberlainand a small group – Joel Matip, Joe Gomez, briefly Salah – the job started again the next day. There were small mercies, the rule banning phones from the treatment room and the gym was temporarily lifted. The physios were on rotation to allow them a break. The place was mostly empty.

He had been here before, and had a better of idea what it would take to survive mentally as the healing and rehabilitation went on. The club agreed that some of his week’s rehabilitation could be done in London which gave him a long weekend with his partner Perrie, working with a former Arsenal physio whom he trusted. Rehabilitation is structured in blocks of exercises that represent one stage of progress which must be completed before the player can move on to the next. Days of repetition, of tiny steps forward with the prospect of being able to walk out on the grass, or strike a football, still weeks and weeks away.

There were times, perhaps just two or three, when he reached his limit emotionally and would excuse himself. But for the summer he focussed on getting to the holidays he had planned with his friends, timed to coincide with first team pre-season training, when he suspected that it would be hardest for him to contemplate the task ahead.

The immediate aftermath of surgery was the hardest. No weight on the leg for six weeks in order that the tender grafts be protected. For a footballer used to the game’s thousand physical and mental challenges, the only cardiovascular exercise possible was the monotony of what they call “the arm bike”. It is a bit like raising a bucket from a well for 20 minutes. Or he could go swimming. He was losing muscle day by day. Then there was just the sheer bloody inconvenience or being permanently on crutches.

“I couldn’t carry things so I used to wear a rucksack everywhere - even in the house. Crutch down to the kitchen, fill the rucksack, crutch back upstairs. It’s like going camping in your own house. I’m sure I could have put my foot down. But if I did so I was risking everything.”

After the surgery came the pain, excruciating in the early days. He kept telling himself that some people had to deal with this every day of their lives. All he had to do was survive six weeks. But there were times, in the middle of the night when he would lie awake aching for the loo and wondering what the least worst option would be.

“I can’t wake my girlfriend up at 4am and say ‘Can you empty my wee?’ She would have done but she has work the next day. You find yourself doing silly things. Trying to hold it for the morning. Wondering if I can I wee in the pot and put it on the side. Will it spill? I can’t carry anything whilst I crutch. Can I hold it with my teeth? Trying to plot how to get to the toilet in the middle of the night.”

He found himself looking forward to milestones much simpler than being able to lace up his boots and go outside and volley a football. “It just went to an appreciation of, ‘I can’t wait until I can walk’. Or, ‘I can’t wait until I can sit on the toilet properly’. I wasn’t allowed to bend my leg so I when I was on the toilet I had to have a little footstool to rest my foot on. I had one as a kid to reach the toilet.”

At the end of July, as he approached his holiday in Greece and then Los Angeles, there were concerns that the angle of bend his new knee could achieve was not on schedule. By then he was already running on a machine and doing some squatting but he needed that flexion to do all the things that once came as second nature – jumping, twisting, falling over and getting back up. That was when it was decided that his surgeon, Andy Williams, would put him under again and manipulate the leg. He plays the video on his phone and turns the volume up.

His leg is being pushed back beyond its usual angle of bend. “The scars are tearing,” he says. “There you see it ping back to where it wants to go to. Even after I had this I was still way off it.” What will truly bring it back will be the times in training or games when he falls on it and the knee is forced to give way again. It will be sweet agony for a couple of seconds but it will do the knee good. He imagines that moment: “Have that! BOSH! A minute of pain and then I run it off.” It will take around two years to regain the full range of motion.

Then there was the World Cup. He watched it at home and enjoyed it. He was persuaded by mates to watch the group game against Belgium at Shoreditch Boxpark. It was a source of fascination to see the support so enraptured. He watched groups of friends meeting after work, rushing in time for kick-off, and the shared anxiety of being a fan. “I said to my friends, ‘Is this what it’s like when I’m playing and you lot watch the game down the pub?’ They were like, ‘Yeah, Chambo, this is why it’s so weird for us. Because we know you’re just an idiot and yet we sit with people at the pub worshipping you’.”

“I loved every minute of it as a supporter. I felt that buzz that we all do as England fans. Plus of course, the lads, as well as the staff, are my mates. They are people who I’ve grown very close to, and who I want to be successful. As players, we saw a lot in Gareth Southgate when he took over that perhaps took longer for everyone else to get about him. I love that he proved so many people wrong.

“As a professional, as someone who would in all likelihood been playing some part, it was surreal. It’s hard to explain the feeling without it sounding selfish or maybe even unpatriotic. But it isn’t that. It’s human nature I suppose – the ‘it-could-have-been-me- feeling’.”

He was not a first XI pick when he missed out on Euro 2012 and the 2014 World Cup. This time, his performances for Liverpool had meant that he started both the crucial March friendlies against Holland and Italy. He believed he could have started for Southgate had he been fit, and stayed in the team.

“That is where you have to fight the injury in ways that go beyond just the hard work and the boredom of rehab. You are missing out on great experiences and great moments – and these moments are taking place in front of your eyes. I suppose I did feel an element of grief at what the injury had taken away from me and that was worse at certain periods – especially the World Cup. A month earlier I’d had to watch a Champions League final I would have played some part in and now I am watching England put in their best World Cup since 1990.

“The further they went, the more I had to contend with that mixture of emotions. What do I feel in my bones? I loved seeing the boys play so well. I got carried away like everyone else. We were singing in the living room like I bet a lot of English families were. In the knockout stages I had proper goose-bumps before each game. I wanted them to get to the final and win it, although I know that would have come with something else too – a kind of mourning that I had missed out. I would have backed myself to deal with it positively though. I’m that kind of person.”

He watched the first game of Liverpool’s season in an Irish bar on Sunset Boulevard at lunchtime, empty apart from him and his friends and a couple of fans who did not realise until the end of the game who it was under the baseball cap. As his rehabilitation continued he was conscious of managing expectations. A video taken of him on the indoor pitch at Melwood pinging a ball sweetly on the half-volley with his left foot was shot on Oct 21. He did not post it on Instagram until Nov 16, when he felt he was closer to training with the first team.

He had Christmas Day at home uninterrupted by training for the first time since he turned professional. The club had given him New Year off, which he spent with Perrie in Dubai. He was back there later that month with the first team and by Feb 12, when the squad went away again to Marbella, he joined in first team training for the first time. A little irritation to his knee meant that he was limited to rondos, the keep-ball exercises. It was supposed to be a private session but someone at the hotel caught the session on their phone and secretly he did not mind. He had looked sharp.

There are no half-measures when it comes to a player returning to full-contact first team training. A judgment has to be made as to whether he can either live with the intensity or not. Back at Melwood the week after Marbella he went in for the first time. He got the impression that a couple of his team-mates might be standing off him, and his reaction was to be as physical with them as he would be pre-injury. “After that they feel it’s fine to do the same to me. Because I am not pussyfooting around, then they don’t.”

“Hendo [Jordan Henderson] crunched me first time back. He didn’t mean to but he gave me a good little tackle and clattered into me. I stumbled and then reacted, chasing the ball.” He felt fine. There was another convention to be observed too. He had not yet played against the summer’s new arrivals, and in his mind was the old anxiety of re-establishing himself among the pack.

“I wanted to look better than Naby Keita and Fabinho and [Xherdan] Shaqiri because they hadn’t seen me. In my head I didn’t care I had been out 11 months, there was the pressure of ‘I need to show them’. As soon as I was out on the pitch, when Trent or the full-back would get the ball I was making the runs I was making last year. Suddenly, I was in behind Matip and thinking, ‘I shouldn’t be here’. But I was also thinking, ‘I’ve still got it, boys’.”

The final stage of the rehabilitation was a competitive game outside of Liverpool, against opposition who have no emotional stake in Oxlade-Chamberlain’s fitness or otherwise. The problem with Under-23s football is twofold: it is nowhere near the level of a first team training game, especially under Klopp, and there are very few matches. By the end of February, he was back in with most of the first team sessions but the Under-23s had just two games in March.

Klopp ruled out the Everton match on Monday 4 March as potentially too dangerous, even at Under-23s level. On the Friday the team were scheduled to play Derby County. The first team, with whom he was training, were building up to the home game against Burnley on the Sunday, and he felt strong on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was a day off. Thursday he felt something in his rebuilt lateral hamstring. He was given an ultrasound scan and the verdict was that it was nothing too serious. On reflection he could have played against Everton on the Monday on one leg. Against Derby it turned out that he had to.

“A nightmare” is how he recalls the afternoon. He was late for the warm-up. There were so many people who wanted to chat it took him ten minutes to get from the Derby training ground building to the pitch. Premier League 2 games have to be made open to the public and it felt to him that every Liverpool fan in the area had turned up.

“The moment you want to be as private as possible,” he says, “just was not”. He imagines the thoughts of all those who had come to watch. “I can feel them thinking, ‘What’s he going to do? How is he looking? Is he going to be fit? Is he fit?’” He recalls saying to himself, “I hope my hamstring doesn’t do something silly”. Then two minutes into the game he felt it go.

“I couldn’t come off. I had so many things running through my head. ‘You’re being an idiot. You are not a kid anymore. If you feel anything, get yourself off’. But at the same time I was thinking, ‘I don’t want the headline’. The whole Liverpool press pack was there. There were photographers all over the banks. I spoke to Lamps [Frank Lampard], I spoke to Ashley Cole. The whole Derby team had just finished training and were watching.”

It was only a grade one tear, on the fascia of the muscle, a bit of bleeding, a seven-day recovery and, in normal circumstances, he would have come off immediately. But these were not normal circumstances. His team-mates could see he was masking an injury and there were whispered conversations. He shooed away their suggestions he should go off and decided to get through to half-time it as best he could, which had been the plan in the first place. Most of all it was so frustrating. Two days earlier and he felt he would have bossed the Everton game, perhaps given the fans and photographers the comeback goal they wanted to see.

“Even on one leg I found it so easy, fitness-wise. It was so frustrating because I knew what I could and couldn’t do. Those people didn’t know my hamstring had gone. I don’t want to go down and then it’s official, ‘He is injured two minutes in’. That would write me off in everyone’s eyes. ‘He’s done for the season, they’ve pushed him back too quickly’. I was determined: stay on and try to look professional.”

A few minutes before half-time, having avoided any kind of duel thus far, he found himself unexpectedly closed down. He slipped past his opponent, hit a pass on the run and felt the hamstring get worse. He knew then it was time to go. A week earlier he had been challenging Fabinho for headers in training and landing on one toe. Now he could not manage a half against Derby Under-23s.
[/article]

[article]
The final stages. The recovery from this last small hamstring problem has been hard. Having to go back into the gym that had been home for 11 months when he had tasted life back out on the first team pitch was the worst. At the back of his mind was the thought that you need five appearances for a Premier League medal. For the first time in all our conversations, the good humour and the phlegmatic approach to life started to fail him a bit. He was so close, but there were still days when the first team squad were travelling and it was left to him to train alone again.

“In those times I am a bag of rubbish. I don’t have the patience for it now. Once you have been freed you think, ‘I am not going back there’. It’s like leaving jail and having to go back. Stuck with that for nearly three months of boring sessions every day. You feel like you have conquered it.

“In a game it’s alright when you are tired. When you can’t breathe but you are trying to stop the opposition scoring a goal. When the boys are around you and you’re all in it. Then, when you are on your own in the rain at Melwood for three months straight and you can’t see the end, that’s hard work. It drags on you and drains you. When you finally get past that it’s like, ‘I am not going back there’. When I do those sessions it’s really hard to motivate.”

We have talked from the start about what it will be like for him to play again. How a long-term injured professional footballer first has to switch their mindset because the danger is that you can drive yourself mad thinking about playing. Around five months after the injury he admits that he noticed himself thinking differently. Watching the team in the intensity of the title race, playing a game every three or four days, with the constant pressure to win, he saw the game as an outsider. He recognised it for the exhausting, physical and mental challenge that it is.

“You think, ‘Oh my God, did I used to be at this level?’ The way they are playing, ‘Did I … Was I … in this team with these players?’ It’s bizarre. You find yourself thinking, ‘This lot look good. How am I getting back in?’ For a long time I have only dreamed of being able to do that. And then it’s getting to the point where you think, ‘I don’t think I am ready for this’. It’s been eight months of nothing and then it is, ‘Right, we need you’. You are looking at the boys just got back from Napoli and then off to get three points. I am just sat here chilling. I think, ‘I don’t know how I dealt with that pressure’”.

The same Sunday that Liverpool beat Chelsea at Anfield - April 14 - he played again for the Under-23s against Leicester City at the King Power. He took a blow to the right knee, harder than anything he had experienced in training and there was a brief panic. Pre-injury he would barely have registered it. He had experienced something similar a thousand times before. Even before the scan the following day the physios were telling him he had nothing to worry about. He just had to accept his knee was fine, and it was. He was training again the following day.

He believes in himself. He believes in his new knee, in his own adaptation to what he calls “a new normal”, in the benefit of those hours and hours with all those patient physiotherapists and strength and conditioning experts that go into rebuilding a top footballer. He has high expectations of himself, nothing short of what he had before the injury. He has told himself that he is not embarking on his comeback to prove anything to anyone – not for the time being, anyway. He just wants to make a contribution.

“The good thing is there will be a pressure situation to come back into if we keep getting a few results. I love that. If there is a chance I can do something mad and score a goal that helps us, that’s really exciting. There is not that much left of the season. I just want to show a little bit and hopefully make a difference for us to win the league. Something dreams are made of.”

When he reported for training last Friday, April 26, on the morning of the game against Huddersfield Town, he was unaware that Roberto Firmino had an injury. The first clue was that the Brazilian was not there in the morning’s session. It happened so quickly that there was very little fuss.He had been training with the squad for weeks now and was the natural candidate to take Daniel Sturridge’s place among the substitutes. With Liverpool already one goal up, he came off the bench to warm-up after 15 minutes. Milner and Joe Gomez were with him and Milner gently slowed Gomez down. It meant that Oxlade-Chamberlain ran down the touchline on his own, and the roar from the crowd was huge.

It was coming.Liverpool were 4-0 up when Klopp summoned him and Shaqiri from the bench. There were 17 minutes remaining when Sturridge and Gini Wijnaldum came over for the substitution. It was two days short of a year since he had been carried off against Roma. There were instructions from Klopp, his arm around his player and a hand on his head drawing him in for a final word. Oxlade-Chamberlain was stood at the touchline at last. As he came on, he observed an old superstition, three hops on his left foot as he crossed the line. And with that, he was back.

[/article]

I liked how you used the full version of his name, for the full version of his autobiography.

Also, we all owe momo a round of applause for taking the time to copy and paste an article, removing all the cunting adverts, across three posts, all whilst on his phone, remarkable commitment to a thread.

It made the train journey into town fly by. Just so you all can have extended time on the shitter.

I'll have to go back to this later, I've used up this morning's attention span. But this was funny:

He tells a story of his only cross words with Klopp at Old Trafford in the 2-1 defeat to Manchester United in March when the German was furious with him in the first half for not shooting enough. In one instance Oxlade-Chamberlain had thought Sadio Mane in a better position and had tried to play him in. A dialogue ensued between player and manager on the touchline and in the second half Oxlade-Chamberlain resolved to shoot every time. “Probably too optimistic”, he admits.

When the emotions had settled from losing the boss said, ‘You caused me all sorts of problems. When you kept shooting in the second half and I was getting angry, Jose [Mourinho] turned to me and said, “But at least he listens, Jurgen”. I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or punch him’. We were both laughing.”

There's no point being all there psychologically if your legs are constantly fucked. Nice guy, but let's get our money back on him and spend it on a player who can be more reliable

Why are The Telegraph publishing an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain special souvenir edition? Has he married royalty or something?

You should run a poll to see how many actually read it in its entirety or just said OMFG like me ;)

I read it and enjoyed it. Nice bit of perspective on Klopp’s way of rebuilding his confidence - playing him even through the period of bad form to show the player he trusts him. So happy to have been in the stadium for Ox’s “comeback” game against Huddersfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom