• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Lets have a simple poll

Prefix for Poll Threads

Next manager

• Martinez

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • AVB

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Benitez

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Klopp

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Deschamps

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Rodgers

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Capello

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Bielsa

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Loew

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to mention that the only one on that list who has a better CV than Rafa is Capello.

Why do people want Villas Boas? I can't understand it. He failed at Chelsea. What makes people think he'd succeed with us?

Why do people want Villas Boas? I can't understand it. He failed at Chelsea. What makes people think he'd succeed with us?

Seconded. Talk about "the triumph of hope over experience". He's a bright guy and he will do well eventually, but he's got a LOT of dues to pay before he's ready for a job like this one.

I guess it is mostly to do with the success he had at Porto doing the treble.

There is a sense that he was the wrong man at the wrong time at Chelsea. It probably required a more experienced manager with the authority to stand up to the Chelsea dressing room, the same one that will turn on De Matteo as soon as things go awry.

His success at Porto is somewhat undermined though, by the fact that they won their league again this season, almost in as emphatic fashion as previously under Boas.
Woy could probably have managed them to a title.

I think coaches aren't necessarily as bad as their last failure or as good as their last triumph. AVB, like Dalglish, may well have succeeded given more time and authority.

I think part of the appeal is that AVB has a clear approach to the game (although he tried to compromise on that at CFC), is young and ambitious, is smarting after being dumped by his last club, would work under a DOF, has won stuff and will sign sexy players.

For my part, although yesterday was a sad day, the skysports cretin inside me is chuffed that we probably won't be signing any British plodders this summer.

There is some dodgy Florida type shite going on with this poll, where are all the other legitimate options?

I'm taking no part in this.

Seconded. Talk about "the triumph of hope over experience". He's a bright guy and he will do well eventually, but he's got a LOT of dues to pay before he's ready for a job like this one.
For me, the chelsea thing was an unfair representation tbh. He worked there in his twenties as Jose's analyst. He then comes back a few years later and the same spine of the team is there. The players may not have liked the leap from background nothing to their boss. There seemed to be a massive issue with the performance levels of the key players. Di matteo came in as a chelsea legend the players raised their game for him.

i think Boas could easily be a success at another prem club where he has no history.

For me, the chelsea thing was an unfair representation tbh. He worked there in his twenties as Jose's analyst. He then comes back a few years later and the same spine of the team is there. The players may not have liked the leap from background nothing to their boss. There seemed to be a massive issue with the performance levels of the key players. Di matteo came in as a chelsea legend the players raised their game for him.

i think Boas could easily be a success at another prem club where he has no history.

Though he arrives, perhaps, as an already tainted figure. Someone who can be knocked off his perch by player power.

I also thought he came across as being tactically inept. It is alright having a philosophy, in fact I like that, but persisting with that philosophy when you don't have the personnel to make it work is fucking stupid. Teams were scoring for fun against Chelsea and it was as much to do with players being exposed by his philosophy as anything else. A really good coach could adapt- build a team to fulfil the vision, but mend and make do in the meantime. He fucked up, and part of that was because he couldn't make the best of what he had.

If your alarm bells aren't ringing yet they should be.

the big difference is at liverpool the old guard are practically out the door. our younger players are ideally placed to take his tactics on board.

As the doc has pointed out though, a large part of the problem at Chelsea was that the players weren't suited to those tactics and AVB was either unwilling or unable to adapt them. If our players turn out to be unsuited to them as well we'll end up with the same problems they had, which (again as the doc points out) were at least as much AVB's own fault as they were that of the players.

the big difference is at liverpool the old guard are practically out the door. our younger players are ideally placed to take his tactics on board.

Yeah, but why did he persist at Chelsea when his players weren't fitted to his systems? He played Terry in a high line, and he got caught out time and again. Whether our players are suited or not isn't the point. it suggests a lack of cerebral flexibility on his part.

Though he arrives, perhaps, as an already tainted figure. Someone who can be knocked off his perch by player power.

I also thought he came across as being tactically inept. It is alright having a philosophy, in fact I like that, but persisting with that philosophy when you don't have the personnel to make it work is fucking stupid. Teams were scoring for fun against Chelsea and it was as much to do with players being exposed by his philosophy as anything else. A really good coach could adapt- build a team to fulfil the vision, but mend and make do in the meantime. He fucked up, and part of that was because he couldn't make the best of what he had.

If your alarm bells aren't ringing yet they should be.

His philosophy was persisted with, which was a bit shite, but lets be honest...most of us are looking for a manager based on how their teams play and their tactics as well as their record with signings. Chelsea didn't have the CBs to have a high line, we do. We also have a better DM than chelsea. I'm looking at the positives of his tactics and not so much the negatives. He should have addressed the issues with the defence...and TBF he did. He bought Cahill to deal with the pace issues...but with the player power he couldn't drop Terry without a full scale revolt.
Boas has a good record with signings too. Cahill has done good for them, Mata has been beast, lukaku is one of the hottest young talents around, as is de bruyne.

I really think theres a lot of positives.

We'll have to agree to differ then. Whatever the problems he encountered there, they won't have come as a complete surprise but he was ultimately unable to resolve them. I also think you're overpraising the signings somewhat - Cahill (whom I rate and wanted us to buy at one stage) has actually had quite a slow start for them, Mata tailed off after a bright start and the other two haven't been found places in the side yet, so we don't know how they'll turn out.

Do. Not. Want.

I'm with JJ. I do like Mata, and I think VB is capable of attracting good players. But I think to ignore his shortcomings at Chelsea is dangerous.

We'll have to agree to differ then. Whatever the problems he encountered there, they won't have come as a complete surprise but he was ultimately unable to resolve them. I also think you're overpraising the signings somewhat - Cahill (whom I rate and wanted us to buy at one stage) has actually had quite a slow start for them, Mata tailed off after a bright start and the other two haven't been found places in the side yet, so we don't know how they'll turn out.

Do. Not. Want.

How many people on here wanted mata and were apoplectic at the downing purchase.

But fair enough JJ. I liked what i saw. Tactics i respect, clever purchases. His versatility s questionable but he's managed a a high level and has been successful

I'm with JJ. I do like Mata, and I think VB is capable of attracting good players. But I think to ignore his shortcomings at Chelsea is dangerous.

I'm not ignoring them doc, i just think his shortcomings are less short than the others on the table. But fair enough, i won't argue with you lads. I like ya both too much.

Lukaku, de bruyne and courtois. 3 highly regarded prospects who boas brought to chelsea. If he can get us similar young quality i'd be in utopia

Villas-Boas was certainly very highly rated last summer and his Porto team played a good brand of footie. I like the fact that the Russian crook paid the 15 million pounds to release him from his previous post and reports of his request that the Chelsea players include him in goal celebrations seems too far fetched to be true.

I wish they were, given that he seems to be on the radar for the LFC job, but I'm afraid I don't think so. He's known to have made them line up and shake his hand at the end of a training session, so there is some precedent there. It all smacks of a guy who simply didn't carry enough authority - not his fault, since he's still young, but hardly an indication that he'd suit us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom