• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lucas Leiva

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a daft logic, but hes right.
Anderson at this stage looks twice the player Lucas is or will ever be.

Anderson looked magic at times last season. He's a gun.

That's why he cost so much.

I'm happier if we play Lucas and buy a top notch winger, than if we buy Barry and play Kuyt on the right.

Lucas had a good first season here. Definitely needs to strengthen up a bit for the english game tho. I watched the game vs Everton at Goodison again the other night and he really was exellent when he came on. Always keeping the ball, playing some great passes, winning the ball back and would of scored if it wasnt for that neville prick. I hope and think we will see lots more performances from him like this in the coming season.

As for comparisons with Anderson they are different players and while Anderson definitely looked the better player last season I think Lucas could be the better player in time.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=25403.msg623865#msg623865 date=1216580695]
[quote author=MonsterMasch link=topic=25403.msg623840#msg623840 date=1216577461]
[quote author=Assulin link=topic=25403.msg623811#msg623811 date=1216572812]
[quote author=Pandabear link=topic=25403.msg623683#msg623683 date=1216558406]
He's no Anderson, but I reckon he'll be good enough to replace Alonso.
[/quote]

Umm, bad outlook, he is better than Anderson, that i why he is the captain of Brazil U20 not Anderson. Lucas has a much better shot with better positioning and understanding f his position, Anderson is fast and a trickpony. I'll take my Gerrard-esque box-to-box mid playing out of position and showing real signs of becoming a good player for out tittle winning team.
[/quote]

Just because he is captin doesn't make him their best player. Is Ronaldo Scum captin? Arsenal have William bloody Gallas as captin. It's all about influence and leadership, something some great players don't possess, which may be the case for Anderson.

Despite my rating of Lucas I'd rather have Anderson.
[/quote]

The only thing is, we don't need Anderson as we have Mascherano. Who, unlike Anderson, is the finished article.

Is Lucas even a DM like Anderson. I'm not sure he is.

So its a bit of a moot point as to whether we prefer Lucas to Anderson.
[/quote]

Is Anderson really a DM? He seems to be playing a holding role for United but when they signed him I was expecting him to play in a free role. The youtube clips and reports suggested he was a pacy attacking midfielder with bundles of tricks (see hocus pocus on youtube). Where did he play for Porto?

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=25403.msg623965#msg623965 date=1216601104]
[quote author=peekay link=topic=25403.msg623867#msg623867 date=1216581042]
One huge problem with Lucas is the Gerrard comparison. We have been spoiled the last 5 years due to Gerrard in the sense that our definition of dynamic implies he should win the ball in a bone crunching tackle at the edge of our D box, then make a stunning 60 yards pass to Crouch then gallop across the field get the ball back and rip a 20 yarder into the bottom left corner. There is no midfield player who is as dynamic as our captain.

But I think Lucas can develop into a Michael Ballack like player if he bulks up a little bit more. He is comfortable on the ball, can tackle quite a bit and occasionally plays good through balls. I think if he keeps on developing and develops the knack of arriving late and taking a shot, he could prove to be a very very useful player for us.
[/quote]

Lucas will develop into a scholes type player.
[/quote]

No he won't.

Scholes at his best had one main asset that made him one of Europe's more dangerous midfielders, the ability to make clever runs from midfield off the ball, to take up great scoring positions in the box, the kind of runs that are a nightmare for defenders to pick up. Much like Ljungberg at his best, Bowyer at Leeds, Garcia at times for us, etc.

Lucas is by no means that kind of player.

For me he's shown alot of promise, the best I've seen from him are the clever short passes he can make, he did it a fair bit at the Emirates, where he was given licence to get forward more, and play passes through the defence for the attacking players to run onto (think Benayoun's early spurned chance). The only problem is what someone else (Vlad or Portly I think) pointed out last week, that he can occasionally be a bit of a passenger when we're not in possession, he's great when we have the ball but anonymous when we don't. But he's young, first season from South America, often played out of position etc.. He's done well.

This IS a big season for him though, but the signs are good.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=25403.msg624028#msg624028 date=1216630618]
[quote author=drizzt link=topic=25403.msg623965#msg623965 date=1216601104]
[quote author=peekay link=topic=25403.msg623867#msg623867 date=1216581042]
One huge problem with Lucas is the Gerrard comparison. We have been spoiled the last 5 years due to Gerrard in the sense that our definition of dynamic implies he should win the ball in a bone crunching tackle at the edge of our D box, then make a stunning 60 yards pass to Crouch then gallop across the field get the ball back and rip a 20 yarder into the bottom left corner. There is no midfield player who is as dynamic as our captain.

But I think Lucas can develop into a Michael Ballack like player if he bulks up a little bit more. He is comfortable on the ball, can tackle quite a bit and occasionally plays good through balls. I think if he keeps on developing and develops the knack of arriving late and taking a shot, he could prove to be a very very useful player for us.
[/quote]

Lucas will develop into a scholes type player.
[/quote]

No he won't.

Scholes at his best had one main asset that made him one of Europe's more dangerous midfielders, the ability to make clever runs from midfield off the ball, to take up great scoring positions in the box, the kind of runs that are a nightmare for defenders to pick up. Much like Ljungberg at his best, Bowyer at Leeds, Garcia at times for us, etc.

Lucas is by no means that kind of player.

For me he's shown alot of promise, the best I've seen from him are the clever short passes he can make, he did it a fair bit at the Emirates, where he was given licence to get forward more, and play passes through the defence for the attacking players to run onto (think Benayoun's early spurned chance). The only problem is what someone else (Vlad or Portly I think) pointed out last week, that he can occasionally be a bit of a passenger when we're not in possession, he's great when we have the ball but anonymous when we don't. But he's young, first season from South America, often played out of position etc.. He's done well.

This IS a big season for him though, but the signs are good.
[/quote]

I've noticed that Lucas DOES make good little run's into the box. He hasn't received many through ball from it but I do recall noticing him following up the play. Watch for it next season Mark, Lucas does like to make these clever little run's, hopefully we'll see it this season a lot more.

I never understood the Anderson wankfest on here, he didn't do much more than run around a lot last season.

Meh.

Anderson is well ahead of Lucas at the moment but is by no means the finished article himself. His second half of last season was poor but in flashes, like their win at Anfield, he has been superb.
As to who will ultimately be better, no idea. I'd have a fiver on Anderson if pushed. That said, I work in Manchester and the rumour is he loves his partying too much. So, who knows?

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=25403.msg624060#msg624060 date=1216633127]

Anderson is well ahead of Lucas at the moment but is by no means the finished article himself. His second half of last season was poor but in flashes, like their win at Anfield, he has been superb.
As to who will ultimately be better, no idea. I'd have a fiver on Anderson if pushed. That said, I work in Manchester and the rumour is he loves his partying too much. So, who knows?

[/quote]

It's a tough call honestly - I've seen more of Anderson to be impressed but Lucas seems to be showing these 'flashes' in pre-season, like some great runs and more confident passing. And if as you say, Anderson is samba addicted, this will most likely influence him in a bad way.

They certainly could be a hell of a platform for Brazil in a year or two.
Those two with Kaka, Diego, Robinho ahead of them and one up top. Frightening.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=25403.msg624075#msg624075 date=1216633754]
[/quote]

But Anderson is supposed to be an attacking midfielder ... it should be Denilson and Lucas behind them! :)

It's strange that Anderson doesn't seem as comfortable on the ball as you'd imagine considering he was meant to be the next Ronaldinho - maybe it's just the odd game I saw him in?

If Rafa truly believed in Lucas, he wouldn't be so hellbent on bringing in a 15M central midfielder.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=25403.msg624084#msg624084 date=1216634336]
It's strange that Anderson doesn't seem as comfortable on the ball as you'd imagine considering he was meant to be the next Ronaldinho - maybe it's just the odd game I saw him in?

If Rafa truly believed in Lucas, he wouldn't be so hellbent on bringing in a 15M central midfielder.

[/quote]

Valid point. So what's Lucas' role this year then? Understudy to Gerrard in the AM role?

I'm guessing he's seen as a squaddie now with the benefit of being young with potential.

If he doesn't show any of that potential over the next season or two, I guess he'll end up being sold.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=25403.msg624044#msg624044 date=1216632026]

I've noticed that Lucas DOES make good little run's into the box. He hasn't received many through ball from it but I do recall noticing him following up the play. Watch for it next season Mark, Lucas does like to make these clever little run's, hopefully we'll see it this season a lot more.
[/quote]

Maybe he's capable of it mate, I've just seen little or no evidence to suggest it, but he does look better when he can move forward to pick out short through balls into the box.. Like all our centre mid's under Rafa (bar SG, obv) he will need to start scoring more.

[/quote]

He played him in some very improtant and big games last year. Rafa want's Barry to replace Alonso. He always had two players competing for a place alongside Masher with Gerrard in the advanced role.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=25403.msg624101#msg624101 date=1216635139]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=25403.msg624044#msg624044 date=1216632026]

[/quote]

Maybe he's capable of it mate, I've just seen little or no evidence to suggest it, but he does look better when he can move forward to pick out short through balls into the box.. Like all our centre mid's under Rafa (bar SG, obv) he will need to start scoring more.
[/quote]

I agree Mark. He needs to step up. This is a very important season for him.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=25403.msg624094#msg624094 date=1216634749]
Understudy to Gerrard?
Oh Jesus Christ.
[/quote]

Then what else? As Keni pointed out, Rafa wants another CM so it seems he doesn't have much faith in Lucas to play the DM role which is where Barry will be playing. So what does he have planned for Lucas? Didn't Rafa say recently that Lucas will have a more free role?

http://sixcrazyminutes.com/forums/index.php?topic=25331.0

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=25403.msg624079#msg624079 date=1216633884]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=25403.msg624075#msg624075 date=1216633754]
[/quote]

But Anderson is supposed to be an attacking midfielder ... it should be Denilson and Lucas behind them! :)
[/quote]

I had that impression when he was first signed. I presumed Fergie changed his role to suit the team.

[/quote]

Barry would replace Alonso, Lucas and Masher are away until the end of August so we'd be short on midfielders

I saw quite a bit of Anderson, and TBH don't understand what you are all on about. He did nothing all season. Name a game where he made a decent impact.

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=25403.msg624222#msg624222 date=1216643972]
I saw quite a bit of Anderson, and TBH don't understand what you are all on about. He did nothing all season. Name a game where he made a decent impact.
[/quote]

He was the best midfielder on display when they won at Anfield.

Look, I don't want to get into a discussion praising a Manc player. But I saw Anderson have a few good games last year, I've yet to see Lucas have a similar impact, in any game. That's not to say he isn't a good prospect.

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=25403.msg623804#msg623804 date=1216571798]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=25403.msg623687#msg623687 date=1216558627]
Youve got no defenders or keeper.
That team will get dry fucked.
[/quote]

Fucking hell that makes me cringe. Painful.
[/quote]

Twisted MoFo's ;D

Lucas has shown enough to give us hope that he will improve. However, he is by no means a holding or defensive midfielder. I think that he is a super prospect and Rafa obviously rates him.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=25403.msg624228#msg624228 date=1216644193]
[/quote]

Look, I don't want to get into a discussion praising a Manc player. But I saw Anderson have a few good games last year, I've yet to see Lucas have a similar impact, in any game. That's not to say he isn't a good prospect.

[/quote]

How many local derby's did Anderson win? How many assists has he had?

Lucas way out-performed Anderson last year, like I say point me to something other than "he had a few good (but unidentified) games".

You are buying into the manc hype.

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=25403.msg624247#msg624247 date=1216645021]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lucas way out-performed Anderson last year, like I say point me to something other than "he had a few good (but unidentified) games".

[/quote]

OK.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=25403.msg624254#msg624254 date=1216645188]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK.

[/quote]

Ok, you agree?

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=25403.msg624281#msg624281 date=1216646737]
[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=25403.msg624254#msg624254 date=1216645188]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK.

[/quote]

Ok, you agree?
[/quote]

No, of course not, I completely disagree. I just lost interest.

[quote author=Assulin link=topic=25403.msg623983#msg623983 date=1216615899]
[quote author=Pete the Pirate link=topic=25403.msg623981#msg623981 date=1216608088]
18mil for Anderson or 5mil for Lucas? Anderson is clearly the better player and you'd be daft to think otherwise.
[/quote]

i consider you daft for automatically assuming that money equals talent
[/quote]
I'm not "automatically" always assuming money=talent I'm just saying in this scenario theres a reason SAF went after Anderson instead of Lucas even though there was a huge price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom