• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

MLB Off Season 10/11

The Boston Red Sox have scheduled a news conference for Monday to announce they have completed a deal with the San Diego Padres for All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, a baseball source said. But it will happen without a long-term deal for Gonzalez, after talks broke off Sunday with no agreement in place.

The source said that the two sides have left open the possibility of continued discussions toward a long-term deal for Gonzalez after the trade is in place. That extra time will give Boston a greater opportunity to assess Gonzalez's health in the aftermath of his recent shoulder surgery.

A source said that while Gonzalez is seeking a contract in the range of Mark Teixeira's eight-year, $180-million deal with the New York Yankees, the Red Sox have been holding the line at six years and $120 million.

The Red Sox negotiated intensely with Gonzalez's agent, John Boggs, during a 48-hour stretch before the talks finally broke off Sunday.

In exchange, the Padres will receive three prospects in pitcher Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes, according to a baseball source. The Padres also will receive a player to be named later, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes.

Gonzalez had one year left on his contract with San Diego, worth about $6 million. He was seeking a contract similar to the New York Yankees' Mark Teixeira, who is in the midst of a eight-year, $180 million dollar contract, or the contract Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard recenty signed, for five years, $125 million.

Gonzalez's name was in the mix for the Red Sox for more than a year. The Padres' front office is very familiar with Boston's prospects, as GM Jed Hoyer, assistant GM Jason McLeod and new top executive Josh Byrnes all once worked for Boston.

Gonzalez was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft and has spent the past five years in San Diego, his hometown. Over the past four seasons he has had at least 30 home runs and 99 RBIs.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=42556.msg1229070#msg1229070 date=1291604471]
The Boston Red Sox have scheduled a news conference for Monday to announce they have completed a deal with the San Diego Padres for All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, a baseball source said. But it will happen without a long-term deal for Gonzalez, after talks broke off Sunday with no agreement in place.

The source said that the two sides have left open the possibility of continued discussions toward a long-term deal for Gonzalez after the trade is in place. That extra time will give Boston a greater opportunity to assess Gonzalez's health in the aftermath of his recent shoulder surgery.

A source said that while Gonzalez is seeking a contract in the range of Mark Teixeira's eight-year, $180-million deal with the New York Yankees, the Red Sox have been holding the line at six years and $120 million.

The Red Sox negotiated intensely with Gonzalez's agent, John Boggs, during a 48-hour stretch before the talks finally broke off Sunday.

In exchange, the Padres will receive three prospects in pitcher Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes, according to a baseball source. The Padres also will receive a player to be named later, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes.

Gonzalez had one year left on his contract with San Diego, worth about $6 million. He was seeking a contract similar to the New York Yankees' Mark Teixeira, who is in the midst of a eight-year, $180 million dollar contract, or the contract Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard recenty signed, for five years, $125 million.

Gonzalez's name was in the mix for the Red Sox for more than a year. The Padres' front office is very familiar with Boston's prospects, as GM Jed Hoyer, assistant GM Jason McLeod and new top executive Josh Byrnes all once worked for Boston.

Gonzalez was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft and has spent the past five years in San Diego, his hometown. Over the past four seasons he has had at least 30 home runs and 99 RBIs.
[/quote]

This might work out even better for us, Georgie...

Lots "in the know" also expect us to be a major player in the rush for Carl Crawford, not that Werth's off the table.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42556.msg1229048#msg1229048 date=1291588796]
Gonzalez deal has fallen through :(

And the Nats have signed Jayson Werth. 7 years $126m.
[/quote]

Fuck .... that's a massive contract for Werth. I think it's way above most expectations - and most commentators had him going to the Red Sox but I'm not surprised they didn't match that offer. I'm flabbergasted, he's good but he's no superstar.

The Red Sox will be all in on Crawford now presumably.

The Padres admitted that they couldn't afford to re-sign Gonzalez after his contract expires at the end of the season. The Red Sox had been trying to negotiate an extension but went ahead with the deal without a long-term contract in place. Epstein said he's "confident" something will be worked out.

"There was a lot of good faith that developed over the course of the negotiations and both sides have an understanding of what it will take, when the time is right," Epstein said. "We got close to a deal, but in the end the [48-hour] window [to negotiate] lapsed and we didn't have a deal. We decided to go forward with the trade anyway, as a demonstration of the good faith that developed. Had we not gotten to know Adrian and his wife [Betsy] and what they're all about over the course of the weekend, we probably wouldn't have had that comfort. We think that he's such a good fit -- Adrian wants to be a Red Sox -- and we want him to be a Red Sox for a long time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5890951

Yeah I've used it on occasion, though I'm not a fan of the espn websites cos of their 'insider' bullshit. Seems a bit like Dunk and KT to me...

Gonzalez had recent shoulder surgery, the reason no deal could get done was because he's looking for a major long term deal - Teixeira money - and the Red Sox aren't comfortable with that type of deal given the injury risk.

It's a smart move by them, they'll get two draft picks if they don't sign him after the season, but in the meantime they get to evaluate the shoulder on a day to day basis.

I dont quite understand the 2 draft picks scenarios. Where do they come from? Who owns them at this point in time? It seems like its quite unlike the NBA where the draft picks are owned by a team and can be traded to another team. Point is, someone actually owns the draft picks at any point in time. Is MLB not like that too?

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=42556.msg1229891#msg1229891 date=1291691745]
I dont quite understand the 2 draft picks scenarios. Where do they come from? Who owns them at this point in time? It seems like its quite unlike the NBA where the draft picks are owned by a team and can be traded to another team. Point is, someone actually owns the draft picks at any point in time. Is MLB not like that too?
[/quote]

I'm making a couple of assumptions in saying that but :

If they couldn't agree a contract with Gonzalez they'd have the option of offering him arbitration, if he turns that down then they're entitled to the first round pick of the team that signs him and a supplemental pick - which occurs between the first and second round. Gonzalez would most likely be a Type A free agent.

Here's a good summary of the system:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/free-agent-compensation.html

We just signed Carl Crawford to a 7 year, $142m deal.

That's a decent line-up that we have now - Pee-Wee, Yoook, Big Papi, Gonzalez, Crawford, JD Drew...

Roll on April 1st.

yankees offere 6 140 for Lee ... I think he'll sign there ... oh well, Rangers will probably end up trading for Grienke.

The Crawford deal looks like a bargain compared to Werth. That's quite a big splash the Red Sox have made this off season. Apparently the Gonzalez contract will happen after opening day so it doesn't push the Red Sox over the luxury tax threshold.

I wonder will they move Ellsbury now ?

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=42556.msg1230846#msg1230846 date=1291874452]
yankees offere 6 140 for Lee ... I think he'll sign there ... oh well, Rangers will probably end up trading for Grienke.
[/quote]

Reports over here now say that the yankees have up the deal to SEVEN years. Insanity. This bloke is 34.

The Rangers have asked his agent to give them a final, this-what-it-will-take number... He has yet to respond.

Still need some bullpen help I think, but we weren't that bad despite the injuries last year and are now even better... good times ahead hopefully!

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=42556.msg1231098#msg1231098 date=1291906546]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=42556.msg1230846#msg1230846 date=1291874452]
[/quote]

Reports over here now say that the yankees have up the deal to SEVEN years. Insanity. This bloke is 34.

The Rangers have asked his agent to give them a final, this-what-it-will-take number... He has yet to respond.
[/quote]

Is he not 32 ?

The point remains the same anyway, whoever gets him will have to shoulder an injured former great pitcher on about 25m a year for the final three years of the deal.

That Red Sox line up looks scary now - how will it work ? - Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Papi, Drew, Ellsbury, Scutaro , Saltamacchia . That 1 to 5 is awesome.

I'd guess that it'll be more like: Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkalis, Gonzalez, Crawford, Ortiz, Drew, Scutero, Salty.

Damn! That's pretty f$%!ing sexy.

Francona has a bit of a headache working out that lineup anyway. He could even drop Papi to 6th and have Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Papi.

Crazy stuff

The two-three-four spots HAVE to be Pee-Wee, Youka and now Gonzalez. Anything else would be wasting their respective brilliance.

Cliff Lee signs with the Phillies ... WOW ... What a rotation.

I have to respect the man ... It was really only between the Rangers and the Phillies, and when he decided, he called the Rangers personally.

The Phillies?

Where did they come from? Why did they trade him in the first place?

Is the Phillies rotation now - Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt, Blanton ?

fuck ......

Nice to see Lee turn down an extra 50 million to go back to Philly though, most had him down as only in it for the money.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42556.msg1233519#msg1233519 date=1292363242]
It's nice to see anyone turn the yankees down :)
[/quote]

I listen to ESPN's Baseball Today podcast all of the time , in one of the recent episodes they mentioned how Lee's situation was similar to Sabathia's. I had no idea the Yankees had to outbid the next best offer by 30m to get CC to go there.

I'm delighted that Lee hasn't. But the Bluejays still haven't a fucking hope next year thanks to John Henry and Co.

Back
Top Bottom