• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

More pace for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zinedine Zidane, Johann Cruyff, George Best, Alfredo Di Stefano and Paolo Maldini weren't "top tier players" according to Dreamy.

Jesus fuck.

I don't think its much of a mystery really, football is an athletic endeavour so athletic qualities such as speed and strength are therefore good things to have.

Awful long debate for that eh....

I don't think its much of a mystery really, football is an athletic endeavour so athletic qualities such as speed and strength are therefore good things to have.

Awful long debate for that eh....

George-Elokobi.jpg

Strength you say?

Zinedine Zidane, Johann Cruyff, George Best, Alfredo Di Stefano and Paolo Maldini weren't "top tier players" according to Dreamy.

Jesus fuck.

Now who is missing the point. They are not the very top tier who before Messi most would say the top tier was Pele and Maradonna only then 1 step down to the likes of who you mentioned.

Is it that hard to see?

Congrats on the marriage btw.

That's some "top tier" defenders you have there.

I was talking about the best of the best, the no 1 top tier.

The rest while superb will never match up to Maradonna and Pele or Messi and probably soon C Ronaldo.

I was talking about the best of the best, the no 1 top tier.

The rest while superb will never match up to Maradonna and Pele or Messi and probably soon C Ronaldo.

You've made an art-form out of being wrong.

You've made an art-form out of being wrong.

So diagree that Pele, Maradonna and Messi are on their own level?

Fair enough and here was me thinking until recently the debate of who the greatest of all time were was between Pele and Mardonna until Messi starting consistently doing what he has done.

So diagree that Pele, Maradonna and Messi are on their own level?

Fair enough and here was me thinking until recently the debate of who the greatest of all time were was between Pele and Mardonna until Messi starting consistently doing what he has done.

Ignoring the inconsistent ramblings, it's worth pointing out that Pele, Maradona and Messi aren't overly quick. Certainly not the former 2. Sure all can move with the ball, but that's got nothing to do with pace.

True, but they had / have that all important burst of acceleration over 10-20 yards.

I'm intrigued to see how Messi does when he loses that. It feels like he's already cut back on trying to beat 5 players on a single run towards goal these days... he's definitely got the creativity and passing ability to play a slightly more withdrawn role that doesn't rely so much on pace plus even if you take everything lse away he's still an amazing finisher / fox in the box.

Be interesting.

Now who is missing the point. They are not the very top tier who before Messi most would say the top tier was Pele and Maradonna only then 1 step down to the likes of who you mentioned.

Is it that hard to see?

Congrats on the marriage btw.

Cheers.

I can't believe cruyff is getting fobbed off as not being a top tier player

World cups cloud everything

Also, is it worth pointing out (as I have recently), that because less importance was placed on fitness in the good old days (or rather techniques in maintaining it are light years ahead now) , that perhaps Pele and Maradona weren't the quickest, they were just quick compared to the not physically dependable defenders?

Did Dreamy just say that Zinadine Zidane wasnt top tier?

He's not. Neither is George Best apparently. Or Zidane.
The Zidane thing pissed me off, but I thought there MAY be an argument against it (I can't see it though).

Cruyff just confused me. Fucking cruyff. One of the best players ever and a solid manager

Fuck best though. He ruined livers for fun.

The lack of Beckenbauer being mentioned is uncomfortable for me too.

I cant even....
It doesnt even...

Jesus H Christ

Zinedine Zidane Titles and Honours
With the French national team:

FIFA World CupWinner: 1998
Appearances: 1998, 2002
European Championship
Winner: 2000
Appearances: 1996, 2000, 2004

With Juventus:European Super Cup: 1996
Intercontinental Cup: 1996
Serie A champions: 1996/1997, 1997/1998
Italian Super Cup: 1997

With Real Madrid:UEFA Champions League: 2001/2002
European Super Cup: 2002
Intercontinental Cup: 2002
Spanish League - La Liga champions: 2002/2003

Personal honours:FIFA World Player of the Year: 1998, 2000, 2003
European Footballer of the Year (Ballon d'Or): 1998
Golden Ball Award: World cup 2006

Zinedine Zidane Titles and Honours
With the French national team:

FIFA World CupWinner: 1998
Appearances: 1998, 2002
European Championship
Winner: 2000
Appearances: 1996, 2000, 2004

With Juventus:European Super Cup: 1996
Intercontinental Cup: 1996
Serie A champions: 1996/1997, 1997/1998
Italian Super Cup: 1997

With Real Madrid:UEFA Champions League: 2001/2002
European Super Cup: 2002
Intercontinental Cup: 2002
Spanish League - La Liga champions: 2002/2003

Personal honours:FIFA World Player of the Year: 1998, 2000, 2003
European Footballer of the Year (Ballon d'Or): 1998
Golden Ball Award: World cup 2006
Hes no Paul Scholes

I guess keepers aren't top tier because they don't dribble past enough players on their way to scoring.

I'm surprised KHL isn't all over this thread with a list of mighty Danes in the top tier!

Ok - Dreamy is getting into a wee pickle, but when debating the 'greatest players of all time,' people will debate between Maradona and Pele (and now some are adding Messi) ... That's all he's saying - they are the 2 or so most dominating players ever, and the rest are slightly below them. I don't get what all the fuss is about ... If you asked people to list the two best players ever, would Cruyff, Baresi, Maldini etc make the list? Nope, but are they excellent players who were world class and just slightly below Pele and Maradona? I'd think every sane person would say yes.

Zidane not top tier??? Fucking zidane??? I'd have zidane over c. ronaldo anyday of the week.

I think Ronaldo, when he's done, will be compared to Maradona and Pele ... People would be doing that now if it wasn't for that flea.

I think Ronaldo, when he's done, will be compared to Maradona and Pele ... People would be doing that now if it wasn't for that flea.
I don't see how you can compare him to them at all. Whenever he gets the ball all he thinks about is shooting. He'll just try shooting from ridiculous angles when a simple pass to a teammate is the better option. he's not a good team player at all. Even for Portugal he does the same shit. Zidane was better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom