• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA 2020-21

Any updates on the Chris Paul injury. Will he be somewhat normal in the next round?

From what I've read, he's had a few scans and they've all come back clean - indicating no structural damage to the shoulder. It's been diagnosed as a stinger or a nerve injury, which probably needs a week to 10 days to fully heal. At the moment, shooting seems painful for him because he's trying to avoid shooting as much as possible.

He'll get about 3 days off before the Nuggets series, so I'm hoping that gives him some relief.

Mavs out .. another monster game from Luka but for nought ... My thoughts ...

1) Front Office ... Cuban has been great obviously, but what he did after the first championship. He broke up a really really good team, that still Dirk in his prime, in hope some star will join ... and since then, we've been out of the playoffs or bounced after a season. I don't exactly get why we cannot sign high caliber free agents - great city, no state tax, great owner etc etc - but something has to give. The team has a 'piece' ... which leads me to ...
2) Doncic ... He's unreal. He's not "Baby Bird", Bird was an unreal shooter and defender. Maybe he's more of a poor defensive version of LeBron? He's unreal but I worry about two things. 1) He's not like Dirk - so I can see him bolting to LA or NY or Miami in 2 years 2) he needs what LeBron needed to get over the hump - he needs a DWade to teach him how to be that guy, to be a winner as an individual and teammate.
3) Last but not least, Carlisle ... @Karl Hungus is right, hes a great coach. But I think he may need to move on. reasons?
a) I don't think he's best for today's players.
b) He had some really good rookies - and barely incorporated them. He took a while to figure out what kind of player he had with Luka too ...
c) He cost us this series - for two reasons. 1) We're up 2-0, and 30-19 (or whatever it was) in game 3 and he takes out Doncic ... Clippers go on a run and their 'fake confidence' gets backed by results and the Mavs lose 4 of 5 - why not go for the kill and try to go into the half with a large lead and destroy them? 2) his inability to counter the Clippers continually putting a wingman on KP. POST HIM UP - even though he hates it - and force the defense to change so it frees up the KP/Doncic pick and roll. Maybe I'm being too harsh but we should have won this series.

I grew up watching the NBA of the 90s ... great defense nad offense mixed together - today's NBA is about unreal scoring, and you just rarely get teams playing close games in the 80s or 90 point ranges. That's the thing - Harden and Steph changed the NBA. Losing interest in it though hope the Suns (and if not, Nuggest or Bucks) win it all so Dmish can be happy!

LTW, I would hardly lose interest at this point! Luka is under contract, and will be with Dallas on a cost-controlled rookie deal for 4 years, plus another 5 years on his first extension. So you'll have him for another 6 years at least!

That's more than enough time to build a genuine contender around him. I think the KP gamble has backfired - he is simply not good enough, and should be traded. The Cavs are looking to shop Sexton, so I think that's potentially a trade that could be worked. Sexton is potentially a great long term running mate for Luka.

Beyond that, I don't agree at today's NBA is only about scoring. Steph won the title not just because of the Warriors' incredible scoring ability, but also because they were a hugely underrated defensive team. Klay, Draymond, Iguodala and Bogut were all outstanding defenders.

The Mavs defense as presently constructed is simply not good enough. You need to scour the trade and FA markets heavily for some good defensive role players to round off the roster once you build around Luka and a 2nd star.

I don't find time to watch a wide array of games but I watch the extended highlights for my adopted team the nuggets. Let's go nuggs!

LTW, I would hardly lose interest at this point! Luka is under contract, and will be with Dallas on a cost-controlled rookie deal for 4 years, plus another 5 years on his first extension. So you'll have him for another 6 years at least!

That's more than enough time to build a genuine contender around him. I think the KP gamble has backfired - he is simply not good enough, and should be traded. The Cavs are looking to shop Sexton, so I think that's potentially a trade that could be worked. Sexton is potentially a great long term running mate for Luka.

Beyond that, I don't agree at today's NBA is only about scoring. Steph won the title not just because of the Warriors' incredible scoring ability, but also because they were a hugely underrated defensive team. Klay, Draymond, Iguodala and Bogut were all outstanding defenders.

The Mavs defense as presently constructed is simply not good enough. You need to scour the trade and FA markets heavily for some good defensive role players to round off the roster once you build around Luka and a 2nd star.

Dont think hell sign the extension if we cannot give him a team ...and I we couldn't get Dirk a 2nd star, not sure how well get Luca one ...

Gsw may have been underrated defensively, but cannot compare them with the great defensive teams if years gone by, and also dont think nba rules allow for more physical, tougher defense

At this rate, it's a race of who hobbles to the title.

Kawhi with a suspected ACL tear.

Chris Paul with Covid.

Harden and Kyrie with their continuing injury issues.

Embiid with his dodgy knee.

Mike Conley with his hamstring.

mad game from Paul George ... really impressive from the clips ...

and the 76ers ... i mean doc ... fucking hell.

True story. Playoff-P is maybe for real? :D
I guess that was Uthas big chance. Do not see them win one of the two remaining games when Khawi is back.

Classical Doc game. I mean I really do not get it why someone like him (or Budenholzer) still are managers for a team that want to win the championship - I guess the past showed already that they can not make the right decisions in important games (at least not always)...

True story. Playoff-P is maybe for real? :D
I guess that was Uthas big chance. Do not see them win one of the two remaining games when Khawi is back.

Classical Doc game. I mean I really do not get it why someone like him (or Budenholzer) still are managers for a team that want to win the championship - I guess the past showed already that they can not make the right decisions in important games (at least not always)...

There was no pressure on the Clips in this game - they were meant to lose. Now they have to win game 6 or 7 as they want "first conference final in our history" ... pressure is on ... Let's see how they do - and I hope, for his sake, the Klaw is healthy - but the rumors are ACL ...

I wonder where Doc lands on all time great NBA coaches? I just think he's overrated ... he's had so many great teams and just can never get over the hump, bar that one time.

There was no pressure on the Clips in this game - they were meant to lose. Now they have to win game 6 or 7 as they want "first conference final in our history" ... pressure is on ... Let's see how they do - and I hope, for his sake, the Klaw is healthy - but the rumors are ACL ...

I wonder where Doc lands on all time great NBA coaches? I just think he's overrated ... he's had so many great teams and just can never get over the hump, bar that one time.

That is true and a valid point. I missed that with the ACL but without Khawi I think you are right. There is a higher chance that George is becoming Playoff-p again than that he will lead them to an other victory. On the other hand, if Khawi can play I do not see that Utah will win two games in a row.

I also think that he is overrated and you are absolutely right about that. In my view he isn't able to improve a real good team.
But NBA just works like every other league where "bad" managers/coaches (or lets say managers/coaches which already had their peak) get employed again and again by good teams. I really don't understand that.

70t7gl967w571.jpg

Well, point 1 and 3 have basically been answered to an extent ... and theres tons of rumors re doncic maybe wanting out, because donnie Nelson (who drafted him, and dirk) wanting out ... yikes.

Bucks in conference finals too

Great game 7 there. KD with another monster game, but the Bucks came through.

@LeTallecWiz who is this Valar Morghulis fellow creating all the trouble with the Mavs?

Game 1 of the WCF today. Kawhi out for the Clippers and Chris Paul out for the Suns.

Clips have gone from strength to strength through these playoffs after a terrible start. They're the team that gave us the most trouble in regular season too.

Now I don't know how they'll be without Kawhi for an entire series (though he may come back), but they've done pretty well without him over the last couple of games. Interesting if that small ball lineup that Lue has gone with will work that well with the Suns. Suns are incredibly balanced and adaptable.

That said, this Chris Paul Covid situation is a serious bummer for us. Cam Payne has been great in a backup role for us so far, but he can't replicate Paul's incredible game management and overall IQ. Really hoping Paul tests negative soon and doesn't miss more than Game 1.

Great game 7 there. KD with another monster game, but the Bucks came through.

@LeTallecWiz who is this Valar Morghulis fellow creating all the trouble with the Mavs?

I think you spelled his name wrong.
He's some gambler from Vegas that Cuban made "shadow GM" because "vegas is normally winning" or whatever logic is used.
Seems like his presence pissed off Nelson, pissed off Doncic, and kinda gave Carlilse his way out (I think he goes back 'home' - either Boston or Indiana).

Suns romp, but to be expected ... Clippers have started every series slow until they figure out how to slow down the other team. Let's see if they can do it here.

Hawks surprise again, beating Sixers in 7.
Ben SImmons took 3 shots in the 4th quarter of the entire series. HE passed up a dunk to pass yesterday ... and even Embiid called it the turning point of the game.
Doc's tone even changed about him. He needs a fresh start, just like FUltz did, because I don't think he can continue there. He's their weakest link ... just not sure where else he can go. What team team needs a PG that's scared to shoot, can't hit FTs but is a great defender and will create great opportunities for teammates?

Back
Top Bottom