• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Non LFC summer transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather easily…
- Both clubs needed a cut price new manager
- Both come off a good season in somewhere after career stalls previously elsewhere at some point
- Both rather aged options, rather than going for a more raw exciting option
- Both not really fan’s choice to take over but that doesn’t say much with Spurs fans
- Can’t imagine Ange would have much of a budget to spend and probably have to deal in budget buys like Hodge did
- Will likely have to sell or do without their best striker at some point
- Patchy history in club management

Comparing finishing 12th with Fulham and reaching a uefa cup final with winning a treble at Celtic (back to back titles and 5/6 cups won in two years) is laughable.
I’m not sure you can say hiring Ange is anything but exciting to see what he can in the EPL.
Every man and his dog said he would be sacked at Celtic by Xmas and I’ve zero doubt he’ll continue to surprise and exceed expectations at Spurs.
Ange has literally been a winner everywhere he’s managed.

Wtf is this????
6ac4a1d709198ff08bb9f003c3c7c1fa.jpg
One of my favourites growing up. Can’t wait to have a packet when I’m home in a month!

If given some money to spend and shape his team I think Ange could surprise some people.
Saying that, even Conte who has won silverware wherever he's gone couldn't win anything with Spurs.

Comparing finishing 12th with Fulham and reaching a uefa cup final with winning a treble at Celtic (back to back titles and 5/6 cups won in two years) is laughable.
I’m not sure you can say hiring Ange is anything but exciting to see what he can in the EPL.
Every man and his dog said he would be sacked at Celtic by Xmas and I’ve zero doubt he’ll continue to surprise and exceed expectations at Spurs.

I know right… finishing 12th with Fulham and getting to a European final is much harder than winning trebles with Celtic.

I have an inflatable dinosaur in the spare room that could probably win a treble managing Celtic.

Fun fact - the last Celtic managed to have been in position for longer than 1 full season and not win anything was Liam Brady.

Even more fun fact, Brady along with Jimmy McStay are the only 2 managers in Celtics history to manage the team for 1 or more full season since 1897 and not win either the League, the FA Cup or League Cup in Scotland - but poor wee Jimmy was managaging Celtic while WWII was getting in the way of things.

Even Neil Lennon managed to win the treble….

I think your definition of winner is laughable.
Let’s ignore Hodge’s fine achievements with Malmo and Blackburn then.
1 JPL in 3yrs and winning trophoes in Scotland doesn’t qualify as a born winner.
No doubt an decent coach but let’s see how he does with a top 7 EPL side, reckon no more than a single season.

i don't think even the most rose tinted Spurs supporter would be as supportive of the move as Dreamy is being

Even Gerrard won a league title in Scotland FFS. UNBEATEN NO LESS

Could also add the Length of contract Ange has been given to the list of similarities, 2yrs which was what Hodge the Podge also got. Not exactly a statement of belief from the board…

He's a LFC fan :p

[article]
Postecoglou, who came to Australia from Greece as a boy of five, has followed Liverpool since the early 1970s, the days when the only soccer on Australian television tended to be FA Cup finals. Liverpool, as one of the dominant clubs of that era, often featured.

''I have been a fan almost my whole life,'' Postecoglou, 47, said. ''I don't quite remember the 1971 FA Cup final, which we lost to Arsenal, but I began to support them shortly after. Players like Kevin Keegan and then Kenny Dalglish became my heroes, and I read the stories about Bill Shankly and loved the culture and what they represented. I loved the way they played, the passing game.''
[/article]

[article]
"I grew up supporting Liverpool as well and I guess the reason I'm a manager today is because of the football club. I grew up with the stories of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and the boot room, Ronnie Moran, Joe Fagan, Roy Evans, all those guys.

"That kind of philosophy has stayed with me. They were playing possession football before it was trendy in the world. So from my perspective the whole experience will be a thrill, backing up from hopefully knocking off Man Utd a few days earlier. It would be a dream week for me."
[/article]

Chelsea pull out of Ugarte move paving way for PSG to move in for him.
McGuire and De Gaye could stay at United

Not sure about Asia - but in Australia they probably are.
Look at our pre-season tours when we went to Thailand and Singapore.

Selling out 70000 stadiums in seconds.

I think we do need to sign more popular Asian/Australian players to help stay on top.

Min-Jae KIM, Kubo & World Cup hero Matthew Leckie!!

I think Man Utd are top in Asia, followed very closely by Liverpool and then Arsenal.

Maybe it's my imagination, but Man utd and Chelsea seem to dominate in the Indian subcontinent esp the north.

One thing is for sure. There are more Leicester fans in Asia than Man City. Penally more Luton fans too.

Look at our pre-season tours when we went to Thailand and Singapore.

Selling out 70000 stadiums in seconds.

I think we do need to sign more popular Asian/Australian players to help stay on top.

Min-Jae KIM, Kubo & World Cup hero Matthew Leckie!!
Not sure about Asia - but in Australia they probably are.

Depends on which website you visit but United are universally #1. We are 5th on this list :
https://topsoccerblog.com/top-footb...e Red Devils are the,, South Korea, and China.

South Korea - its probably Spurs. I know LFC has a huge following in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. I know in the subcontinent LFC has a huge following top 3 for sure but in China, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Lao, Philippines, Taiwan we probably lag behind, the Spanish Giants, Man U and Chelsea (as said Spurs in South Korea).

I know right… finishing 12th with Fulham and getting to a European final is much harder than winning trebles with Celtic.

I have an inflatable dinosaur in the spare room that could probably win a treble managing Celtic.

Fun fact - the last Celtic managed to have been in position for longer than 1 full season and not win anything was Liam Brady.

Even more fun fact, Brady along with Jimmy McStay are the only 2 managers in Celtics history to manage the team for 1 or more full season since 1897 and not win either the League, the FA Cup or League Cup in Scotland - but poor wee Jimmy was managaging Celtic while WWII was getting in the way of things.

Even Neil Lennon managed to win the treble….
Considering people thought he was a disastrous appointment I think he’s done well.
He literally won everything and backed it up. It’s not always what you do but how you do it and he’s been exceptional.
Put Rangers right back in their place and turned over an aging squad in the process.

I think your definition of winner is laughable.
Let’s ignore Hodge’s fine achievements with Malmo and Blackburn then.
1 JPL in 3yrs and winning trophoes in Scotland doesn’t qualify as a born winner.
No doubt a decent coach but let’s see how he does with a top 7 EPL side, reckon no more than a single season.
Sorry I see you prescribe to the David Moyes school of winner.
As for his time at Blackburn? What exactly is successful about being sacked when your team is bottom?

Hodgson was one of three targets for Blackburn Rovers owner Jack Walker when Ray Harford resigned as their manager in October 1996, along with Terry Venables and Sven-Göran Eriksson. The following February, with his Inter contract due to expire in July, he agreed to move upon its expiration to join Rovers for three years. As Eriksson had backed out of an agreement to move to the club, Hodgson signed a contract including a six-figure penalty if he did not join when freed by Inter.[32]

In the 1997–98 season, his first season in charge, Blackburn finished sixth, qualifying for the UEFA Cup and appearing to be in the ascendancy, especially as they had been outsiders in the title race for more than half of the season and Hodgson had been voted Premier League Manager of the Month on two occasions, in August and December 1997. However, the team's form collapsed dramatically in the second half of the season and it was only on the last day of the season that they secured a UEFA place.[33]

Hodgson's second season with Blackburn did not match the relative success of the first, due to numerous injuries,[34] dressing room unrest, and the failure to find an adequate replacement for departed central defender Colin Hendry.[35] As a result, Blackburn had a poor start to the season. After Berti Vogts resigned as manager of the Germany national team in September 1998, Hodgson was contacted by the German FA to succeed him.[34] Hodgson declined.[36] When England manager Glenn Hoddle faced calls for him to resign following a much-criticised serialised diary in a national newspaper and poor results in the opening games of Euro 2000 qualification, Hodgson was the favourite among the media and the bookmakers to take over.[37] Ultimately, Hoddle stayed in the job and Hodgson was dismissed two months later on 21 November 1998, with Blackburn bottom of the league table.[3

Sorry I see you prescribe to the David Moyes school of winner.
As for his time at Blackburn? What exactly is successful about being sacked when your team is bottom?

Hodgson was one of three targets for Blackburn Rovers owner Jack Walker when Ray Harford resigned as their manager in October 1996, along with Terry Venables and Sven-Göran Eriksson. The following February, with his Inter contract due to expire in July, he agreed to move upon its expiration to join Rovers for three years. As Eriksson had backed out of an agreement to move to the club, Hodgson signed a contract including a six-figure penalty if he did not join when freed by Inter.[32]

In the 1997–98 season, his first season in charge, Blackburn finished sixth, qualifying for the UEFA Cup and appearing to be in the ascendancy, especially as they had been outsiders in the title race for more than half of the season and Hodgson had been voted Premier League Manager of the Month on two occasions, in August and December 1997. However, the team's form collapsed dramatically in the second half of the season and it was only on the last day of the season that they secured a UEFA place.[33]

Hodgson's second season with Blackburn did not match the relative success of the first, due to numerous injuries,[34] dressing room unrest, and the failure to find an adequate replacement for departed central defender Colin Hendry.[35] As a result, Blackburn had a poor start to the season. After Berti Vogts resigned as manager of the Germany national team in September 1998, Hodgson was contacted by the German FA to succeed him.[34] Hodgson declined.[36] When England manager Glenn Hoddle faced calls for him to resign following a much-criticised serialised diary in a national newspaper and poor results in the opening games of Euro 2000 qualification, Hodgson was the favourite among the media and the bookmakers to take over.[37] Ultimately, Hoddle stayed in the job and Hodgson was dismissed two months later on 21 November 1998, with Blackburn bottom of the league table.[3

Was sarcasm but see it has gone over your head.
Your point is rather hypocritical on one hand knocking Hodge's record but then playing up Ange's, what exactly has Ange won that's more worthy on Hodge the Podge?
One J league and Scottish Trophies, that makes him a winner? Moyes compared to those levels really is above Pep then.
Personally glad Ange has taken this ultimate challenge and will finally get to prove his managerial prowess but returning Spurs to their rightful winning trophy-laden ways.

Last edited:
Considering people thought he was a disastrous appointment I think he’s done well.
He literally won everything and backed it up. It’s not always what you do but how you do it and he’s been exceptional.
Put Rangers right back in their place and turned over an aging squad in the process.

Rodgers won more - what was it, 7 domestic trophies outbid a possible 9 in 3 seasons, with a clean sweep of 6 from 6 in his first 2 seasons?

I’m sure, given you’re a Celtic fan, you think the sun shines out his arse - but really… he should be winning every domestic trophy, every season - there’s fuck all competition - aside from basket case Rangers

He’ll find Spurs a totally different experience - I’d say he’ll be doing well to last a season in position.

Clearly he’s not been terrible for Celtic - but that will mean fuck all when he has to deliver at Spurs.

Celtic supporting workmate was gutted when Rodgers left. He's worse now. Reckons Ange is a better manager.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Ugarte and Asensio good pulls for PSG tbf.

Leipzig close to signing Openda from Lens, another 1 I see going for crazy money in a few years.

Yeah - I can see how other teams are likely popular in other Asian countries - a lot of the Liverpool fans in Australia come from a more European background - loads of Greek LFC fans for some reason.

Certainly in Melbourne - Liverpool will attract more people than anyone else individually. The biggest crowd to watch football in Australia (aside from the Olympics) was Real Madrid Vs Man City a few seasons back, which got about 4K more people than Liverpool Vs Melbourne Victory a decade or so ago - Utd Vs Melbourne Victory pulled about 20,000 less last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom