1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Other forum meltdown watch

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Woland, Mar 4, 2018.

1. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

When you assemble a squad of highly paid and very expensive elite players and focus them on defending, so that they're hard to beat - playing the percentages - you'll win sometimes.

He's George Graham & his Arsenal team with a bigger checkbook than anyone else.

Or he was... now he's just George Graham trying miserably to repeat his past...

His greatest achievement is being able to park a bus while throwing his own players under it.

There's a reason he only lasts 3 years at s club - that's the length of time it takes everyone associated with the club to fucking hate him and wish he was gone.

Man Utd, being saturated by and used to whopping cunts, might actually be able stomach him into year 4.

My guess is he'll be at PSG by Christmas.

He's running out of rich clubs bankroll his wank football - so he'll disappear off up his own arse soon or end up in international management wringing out what little joy there is left in International Tournaments.

2. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez I Moustache You a Question Member

Because he has been involved with teams that have massively outspent every one of their rivals, every single year? I think his is a somewhat poor return on investment.

3. Esoteric

Esoteric Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd Member

Other Team's Forum Meltdowns Please .... anyone been over to see what man-shitty think of the CL draw?

4. Markeh

Markeh Very Well-Known Member

Strangely Mourinho was reported to have been pretty decent after the Sevilla match. Telling his own players the defeat was his fault and delivering some pretty emotional words then visiting the Sevilla dressing room to pass on his warmly received congratulations.

Obviously still a cunt but it's he a two faced cunt that acts totally differently in the media?

5. tombrown

tombrown Very Well-Known Member

Just a cunt

6. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

Quite happy seems to be the vibe

7. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

Nice reaction to Maureen's 12 minute meltdown earlier today over at Redcafe.

A typically strange response, from a man who requires a sense of celebrity and attention. No one asked him to provide such a statement, no one. But, of course, he trots himself out and starts yapping away.

The Heritage of a football club is determined by factors that go back many, many, many years, and are not solely based on player acquisition, or trophies. So as far as Mourinho is concerned, the likes of Blackpool, Preston, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves.. I could go on, and on and on... these clubs have no heritage?

He uses the term heritage in it's most clinical context. It's a daft statement, a Press Conference to elicit more attention on him.

'I am not running away... I sat in this chair... I knocked Man Utd out....' '...at 20 years of age I had nothing...' etc

What's all that about? The guy needs a shrink....

And it's clearly evident that he doesn't rate the players he has, even those he has bought it seems.. he is literally saying 'how can I compete with the Man City, with all of their players.after inheriting my squad...' What a dreadful statement... that's going to get your players on side right? really motivate them to play for you??

At no stage has Jose Mourinho taken any responsibility for the performance against Sevilla. None at all.

Too many are beguiled by Mourinho, not sure why. The Spanish media, captured and articulated, quite beautifully, the influence of Jose Mourinho as Man Utd manager . It's quite clear, for all who wish to see.

He isn't the right fit for this club. Simple.

8. Holle

Holle Please leave my town Member

He's the perfect fit, the cunt.

Ossi, SaRed, LeTallecWiz and 7 others like this.
  9. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

12 minute rant vs 7 minute rant while at chelsea.

Which one wins?

Either way, it very much feels like the beginning of the end. Again.

Year 3 is usually the year he gets the chop/resigns.

Cue the music.

10. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

Nah, I saw a bunch of them saying it is the worst possible draw. Of course they're full of bravado too, but the vibe I got was it was their least favourite possible draw.

11. manwithnoname

manwithnoname Bravo old man. Bravo. Member

Only because they're a bunch of shiny-eyed, happy clapping, day-tripping cunts who want a "big night out" at the Nou Camp

YOU"VE NEVER EVEN BEEN IN A FINAL

12. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

That was exactly my point but there is also the fact that we have 9 games to go and if City were back with the rest then there'd be four teams fighting for the title and we'd be right in the thick of it. Why does Dreamy want to give it to Mourinho with 9 games left to play ? Or is that a stupid question.

13. tombrown

tombrown Very Well-Known Member

I assume its rhetorical

14. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

Spanish press really putting the boot in:

15. rurikbird

And of course Barney Ronay is a must read. Absolutely hits the nail on the head in his argument, refusing the whole false "style vs result" dichotomy and instead correctly pointing out that from purely pragmatic result-oriented perspective, the way Mourinho has been setting his teams up is wrong, unless you're in charge of Porto.

=============

There was a slightly ghostly moment in the second half at Old Trafford as Manchester United were euthanised from the Champions League knockout stages, a sense of worlds colliding, timelines crossed.
    Wissam Ben Yedder had just eased the ball into the corner of David de Gea’s net to make the score 1-0 on the night. As the Sevilla players romped in front of their away support and the Spanish radio commentator broke out of his “gol, gol” chant to shout “ON FIRE ON FIRE” a wiry black-clad figure could be seen sprinting down the touchline, fists pumping.
    [​IMG]

It was tempting to blink a little at this ghost of Old Trafford, rattling its chains, howling at the portal doors, breaking though, just for a moment, into our world. Like all good cinematic ghosts it seemed to be trying to communicate something: desperation, excitement, the need for United’s players to regroup. And beyond that a sense of something more profound being lost than just a quarter-final spot at the hands of a balanced and deserving Sevilla.
    Naturally there were painful echoes of that famous sprint down the same touchline 14 years ago, back when the world was still young, the Mourinho hair a chestnut bouffant, and when Porto’s young manager was announcing his arrival as a Champions League force. Rather than, as on this occasion, his departure.
    It will be tempting to resist the cliched circularity of those two sprints, bookends on the José supremacy. But the facts are hard to argue with. And the facts say that when it comes to the real cutting edge of European club football Mourinho is pretty much cooked, his best moments – Inter, Porto – already yellowing at the edges, marked by the baggy gear and dated grooming of a world that has now passed.
    As of Tuesday night it is almost exactly four years since Mourinho last managed a club to victory in the Champions League knockout stages. In his past 10 knockout games with United and Chelsea he has two wins and five low-score draws.

Look a bit closer and even those two moments of triumph didn’t really point anywhere, the last one the ambush of Paris Saint-Germain at Stamford Bridge, when a late airborne siege turned a tie Chelsea were losing. The other was Didier Drogba’s return to Chelsea with Galatasaray, when a cunningly mawkish welcome back ceremony seemed to spook the visitors and Chelsea went 1-0 up after four minutes.
    Look even further to his last year at Real Madrid and it is unsurprising Mourinho was so keen to dwell this week on his elimination of United at Old Trafford in 2013. That 2-1 victory, almost exactly five years ago, was the last time he oversaw an away win in the knockout stages. Even then Madrid were going out before Nani was sent off.
    At the end of which, under the De Boer formula, you could make a case, factoring in millions spent and clubs managed (all three winners in recent years, just not under him) that Mourinho is unusually bad at negotiating the sharp end of this competition. That he is, with two wins in 10 and everything from funds to pedigree in his favour, the worst manager in the past 10 years of the Champions League knockout stages.
    Too much? Probably. But the real issue is not his place in the hierarchy of knockout failure. Instead it is Mourinho’s dogged persistence with an approach that, frankly, no longer works at this level. This was another startling element to Tuesday night. Play the game again, play on for five hours into the night and United still wouldn’t have looked like winning. The obstacle here wasn’t details or form, but a fixed-gear defensive approach in a must-win game at home to the fifth-best team in Spain.

This is not to suggest Mourinho’s methods are failing at United. Winning defensive football is still winning football. United are better than when he came, and will be better still in a year.
    It is more a question of whether Mourinho still has the will and the methods to cut it in one-off, fine-point knockout games against the very best.
    Right now he appears to be doing what he did at Porto and Inter on such occasions, looking to attack an opponent’s strengths rather than its weaknesses, to win by nullifying space rather than using it to create. There is an element of the Peter Principle in this. Mourinho got so good at managing underdog teams and wringing the best out of B-list players he was allowed to manage overdog teams where his tactics no longer fit, with A-list players too good to carry out his methods with unquestioning zeal.
    There have of course been wonderful attacking Mourinho teams in the past. That Madrid starting XI that beat United five years ago contained Mesut Özil, Ángel Di María, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gonzalo Higuaín. The problem is that as Mourinho has retreated into his own mathematical pleasure in solidity and defensive control the world has gone the other way. And the evidence suggests it is not possible to win a Champions League in this manner now, just as a 0-0 draw away from home is no longer an advantageous result with high-scoring games more common.

The question is whether Mourinho has it in him to adapt a little, to build a next-stage United team around some key element of creative chemistry, a team that can grow to fill the spaces rather than crouching back behind its guard. For all the snarking negativity there are obvious positives. Even in defeat the sight of local talent on the pitch is heartening. Romelu Lukaku was often horribly isolated against Sevilla but he was also United’s best player.
    Mourinho will get more time and money to gloss this team – but not that much more. Manchester United is a machine made for winning, a commercial-sporting juggernaut defined in part by its progress in Europe. If Mourinho has hit a buffer here then buying another Sánchez, another Pogba, won’t solve a basic issue of methodology, the point where defensive control becomes a more risky hand, less likely to bring victory than trusting his team to play in those tighter moments with a little winning freedom.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  16. Woland

Redcafe:

See the same culprits with their strange fawning over any of Joses press conferences even when he's had a total mare or is lying through his teeth to deflect blame from his own shortcomings.

He looked like he'd cracked IMO.. cool calm and collected he was not, and whilst passion is good.. it's only good if you're talking about your team passionately and saying look I fecked up but I believe in this team etc instead it looked like a man desperate to defend his performances with what he now deems an unworthy squad which he's done miracles with. It's complete and utter horseshit.

Have City benefitted from better purchases and start from a more advantageous position? Yeah but let's not forget Kompany so injury prone, Aguero looked past it and and ill fit, Toure is finished, Otamendi and Sterling looked like total flops and Pep made a pigs ear of buying a keeper as well. KDB wasn't as good as he is now and only Silva was imo a seriously fortunate gift for the manager who still in his prime. He's done an excellent job of turning that all around. But that's besides the point, no one expected a title run we just expected you to create a team which looks set to win big trophies.. some cohesion, easily dispatching smaller sides, look like a side which with some minor tweaks look competitive in Europe. Referring to City is neither here nor there. Your own management just hasn't been up to the mark - own up to it.

He's a coward IMO and it kills me to say that.. from a guy who I always respected and I brought into the mantra that his press conferences are about protecting players.. but he constantly throws them under the bus even when it's clear as day he's cocked it up. Also don't like how he keeps shitting on the club to try and make it out like we're so grateful he's cleaning it all up. With the funds he's been given, that is the bare minimum we expect from a competent manager.

My worry is, we could lose players under his management that could actually be useful players under a new manager with a different approach. He's increasingly looking like he's a dog that's had his day and with the ever more defensive self pitying conferences like these where he genuinely seems to believe he's absolved of any blame, I can't see him turning a new leaf and changing some of his flaws .. being more proactive because he doesn't acknowledge that he is making bad decisions. His answer seems to be just let me get in new players and my tactics will be the same and it will lead to titles.

17. Woland

Bluemoon on the Emptyhad and our draw:

Think city should have done cheaper tickets to be honest. Hope it's packed to the rafters but not convinced at those prices with the apathy of some fans towards the champions league.

EDIT: It's 35 quid

doctor_mac likes this.
  18. rurikbird

Finally it seems United fans are waking up to the reality of Mourinho. Just a year ago it most of them seemed to be living in a delusion of thinking he will “adapt” to what they call “Man United way” and “patiently develop” likes of Rashford and Shaw and of course Pogba and bring them back to glory. Instead he is now excusing his own failure by repeatedly pointing out that United are not a big club in Europe - I’m sure the fans and management are loving this!

19. Woland

Redcafe:

can anyone explain why Mourinho deserves to remain united manager?

I’m sick to death of him, it’s got to the point where I don’t even bother wasting my time watching our matches anymore, as a fan that should never happen but mourinho and his “style” literally make me fall asleep or just piss me off so much I can’t watch. It happened under Moyes and Lvg too so it’s the end of him for me.

Redcafe:

He is shit, we are shit , this thread is shit.

Redcafe:

Why couldn't he just admit that he fecked up with his tactics and team selection, acknowledge that and move on?
    Why does he have to bring up how shit we were and make all these excuses? He really thinks he's better than the club doesn't he?

He had four transfer windows, that's four full windows to assess the squad and strengthen any areas he desired with pretty much a blank check. If after that he still complains about the quality of the squad he can truly feck off. No one to blame but himself. Four transfer windows and our plan A in our biggest game is to play long balls to Fellaini. This is a fecking travesty.

I can't believe there are actually fans who buy into this shit of how lucky we are to have him, such a small club that we are. Absolute madness. He'd be kicked out of any other big club for that.

And please stop with that whole "shielding his players" myth. He's shielding no one but himself.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Barba Roja and darkstarexodus like this.
  20. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

They're a bit scared of him. In the media at least. He should be universally ridiculed by now and yet there's still a shiver of fear about the coverage. As always when embarrassed, he reverts to that non-footballing non-entity with a clipboard and some languages, desperately trying to offend before anyone realises. Amazing after all he's won, but he still does. He's deeply insecure.