• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Palace up bid.. £30m for Benteke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a shit about stats i just go by what i see with my own eyes. Benteke doesn't suit us at all and any player that misses every single one on one chance he gets with us deserves to go. Origi pisses all over him from a great height. The sooner Benteke goes the better. Never wanna see him and moreno in our shirt ever again.

The problem with Benteke isn't when he's on form. Who wouldn't want that player?!

The problem is that when he's off form, he's a complete liability with no interest in the match and hiding on the pitch.

Is the off form Benteke worth the on form Benteke? That's the question you have to ask really.

I don't think he is. He's good but not top top class when he's in the mood.

In fairness to Benteke, he's been mostly poor because of our style of play. Rather than participate in the build up play he'll wait for the perfect cross to head or tap in. To gauge his ability would require we look to other strikers who have a similar style, Hernandez and the long faced United striker.. his name escapes me... they essentially flourished as goal poaches.
Btw: Benteke will be remembered for missing those one-on-one chances.

Who said it was any reflection of his ability ? And those stats are merely a reflection of his time with LFC - which is all that matters. I compiled those stats in the first place (originally posted in the Studge, Origi & Ings thread) to highlight that we would be fine with only Studge, Origi and Ings and that Benteke wasn't, or shouldn't be, integral to our attack (especially without Euro football). I then used those same stats to debate a claim in this thread.
  • Neither Origi nor Ings got a run of games either. Many players don't - it may affect some players but surely can't be used as an excuse.
  • Exactly the point I've made numerous times
  • We shouldn't have to. The manager decides on the system and I don't see why a compromise should be made for Benteke. Adapt or move on.
  • Same could be said of Sturridge and Origi .. and maybe Ings too.
  • Klopp said he'd give everyone a fair shot .. Benteke played over 1,500 mins including starting 7 of our last 11 games, coming on with 30 mins to go in 2 of the other 3. He can't claim he didn't get a fair chance to impress.
I can understand people defending Benteke as a player over his career (I would), but not defending his performances at LFC.

But that last line is the whole point. It just seems a little premature to claim he's been a disaster when he's only been here one season and had two managers with very different styles. Because we've all seen at Villa that he's a good striker. It's not like he's an unknown quantity in the Premiership.

Yes, it was a pretty disappointing season for him, and perhaps our style and personnel don't suit him, but I'm simply saying it's quite a harsh judgement given he only started 14 games for us in the league. Maybe it is best to simply make a quick, clean break (and as much money back as possible), but I'm not as sure as most seem to be that he's a total bust.

I think that somewhere in here you have to also consider the 8+ one-on-one chances that Benteke missed.

In any other season / dimension, Benteke should have converted at least 50% of those chances. If this had been the case, and he had ended up scoring closer to 15 goals in the league (not sure how many one-on-one misses were league versus cup games) then Benteke's goals per minute stat would easily be the best on our team. I get that this is totally hypothetical since he muffed every one of those sitters (and so deserves some of the vitriol on here), but if he had taken just his fair share of his normal chances - would that merit his continued inclusion in our side?

I still don't believe that it would. As most have pointed out, his style is better suited to more direct teams.

We've had this conversation on here before, and there is a reason why the normal "convention" is to quote games started and goals scored as one of the main criteria.

There's merit in both, obviously, but not all players are the same. Plenty require time and minutes to get themselves into a game. Strikers don't want to come on as a sub for lots of obvious reasons, and that's one of them.

Taking your "minutes played" to an absurd length, would a player be more fairly rated, or happier, with two full games at 90 minutes to show their quality, or 18 games in which they only come on for the last 10 minutes?

They may only get one chance per appearance. Or none. And who scores from every chance?

Starting games is also a psychological boost. It shows you have the trust of the manager and your team-mates. They are set up to play with you. A perma-sub may often simply try too hard to impress, knowing they only have a very small window.

Benteke scored 9 Premiership goals in only 14 starts. That's impressive. If he'd started every game at that rate of scoring he would have scored 24.

Benteke only scored 3 goals when he started a game though, compared to 6 coming in as a sub. Still impressive?

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sub (Substitute){/td}
{td}17{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}6.64{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW (Forward Centre){/td}
{td}14{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}6.98{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Been hearing unless we get £32m for Benteke is going no where. Let's say it is true, who decided that?

Last edited:
Been hearing unless we £32m Benteke is going no where. Let's say it is true, who decided that?

Klopp, if you believe that he now have the last say in every transfer deal. He is both our football director and manager.

I think JJ's point is that it's doubtful if anyone else will come back in with that sort of money for him. Quibbling over half a million is risky if we then lose the sale and end up losing £5m-£10m because we end up having to take what we can get. We paid £30m and have fucked him around all season, I don't see how we're in a position to ask for more, it's not like his stock has risen, despite the rise in transfer fees.

Klopp/the club can get things wrong you know. We're allowed to question decisions without being measured on your "real fan" scale.

Maybe we need the money upfront so we can sign another player for big money. If we want all the money upfront then it is more than half a million. Then we are talking about around five million that we want now.

No clauses, all the £32m in one go IMO.

Palace are desperate for a striker. The team was top @ end of 2015 & found themselves staring at relegation. I suspect they will end up paying the full amount.

There were some stuff a few days ago that his agent is being a dickhead and that he's not very popluar at Anfield.
Probably wants a pay off aswell. Not sure how true, but that could be one of the stumbling blocks to get this deal agreed.

I'm not sure any agents are popular at anfield.

Whilst I appreciate the morale standpoint of opposing agent fees so radically when they arrived, it's arguably one of the owners bigger mistakes, as unfortunate as it is, they have a lot of sway.

I have little doubt that for teams that aren't top tier it's often more financially viable to pay a "premium fee" to an agent than try to simply overpay the player in salary to attract them, esp if you've pissed off the agent by refusing to pay the same percentage other clubs do & soured them against you already.

I'd think it very tough for Palace to be able to attract any other striker of Benteke's stature, the fact that he's already agrees terms with them a major plus for them and us, so if they really want someone of his ilk then they'll pay the fee the were going to pay for Bayashuayi (sp.).

Twitterings that Palace are now switching attention to Berahino after no progress in Benteke deal..

I'm not sure any agents are popular at anfield.

Whilst I appreciate the morale standpoint of opposing agent fees so radically when they arrived, it's arguably one of the owners bigger mistakes, as unfortunate as it is, they have a lot of sway.

I have little doubt that for teams that aren't top tier it's often more financially viable to pay a "premium fee" to an agent than try to simply overpay the player in salary to attract them, esp if you've pissed off the agent by refusing to pay the same percentage other clubs do & soured them against you already.

Ha. You beat me to it. Is there such thing as a popular agent?

This is the bloody mindedness that is indicative of what I'm annoyed at.

The owners seem to stick an exact figure on something based on their calculations & refuse to budge. Whilst that may work in some businesses it doesn't work in football.

I think that's right as far as it goes, but the add-ons to the Palace offer would bring the figure to £31.5 mill.and we should still have bitten their hands off for that.

This is like the time we turned down 15M for Agger.

We'll never be seeing this coin again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom