• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll POLL: Stevie Me

Prefix for Poll Threads

Has Steven Gerrard damaged his Legend Status ?

• Yes.. tit.. Legacy tarnished.. First a slip now a stamp, what next ?

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • No.. Olympiakos, Instanbul, FA CUP.. Legend

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • Almost... Needs to Disappear to LA Galaxy pronto... (now would be ideal!!)

Votes: 13 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a flawed writer, but I'm not as flawed as what I write on here suggests. That's what editing is for.

I'll only edit for filthy freelance money. If I ever need to be reminded of exactly how flawed I am, I need only look at the embarrassing rates I'm paid, before returning to my boring day job.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

I am a flawed writer, but I'm not as flawed as what I write on here suggests. That's what editing is for.

I'll only edit for filthy freelance money. If I ever need to be reminded of exactly how flawed I am, I need only look at the embarrassing rates I'm paid, before returning to my boring day job.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

if you edit it enough it will be a palimpsest like gerrard. probably more gerrard these days than in his prime though

there's a poll on whether a slip and a red card has damaged the reputation of one of the best players to play for Liverpool, in his 17th season at the club?

I don't think his overall reputation has been damaged too much, but consider what happened within the last year for Gerrard, the captain of Liverpool and England: 1) his slip against Chelsea cost Liverpool the title 2) his errant header vs Uruguay for Suarez's goal eliminated England from the World Cup 3) his stamp 30 seconds after coming on vs Man United most likely will cost Liverpool the top-4 finish.

This is as painful as it gets. Somehow some cruel football god decided that in the last year of his career Gerrard has to pay the full price for those precious moments against the likes of Olympiacos, West Ham and Milan... For every "what a hit, son!" there is now "oh... dear."

there's a poll on whether a slip and a red card has damaged the reputation of one of the best players to play for Liverpool, in his 17th season at the club?
Just interesting to get overall idea on what people think.

He is Legend IMHO. . But I don't want to see him play for the club in a competitive game again.. (unless there is nothing to play for)

Finally a bit of common sense from a referee, Mark Halsey. Well, an ex-referee, that is. No wonder he's been ostracised by the profession these days.

FROM the moment Steven Gerrard stepped on the pitch on Sunday you just knew the red mist had descended.
He was clearly smarting at not starting the game, had seen his team-mates not play with the passion he would have shown, and knew this was his last chance to play against Manchester United at Anfield.

You might say his red card was inevitable but I think it could have been avoided with just a bit smarter refereeing from Martin Atkinson.

As soon as he clattered into Juan Mata with his first poor challenge, Martin should have hit the whistle, dragged him to one side and said: “What do you think you’re playing at?”

He should have calmed Steven down, given him a few seconds to think straight, and remind him of his responsibilities on that pitch.

That’s where your awareness of players and the game should be kicking in. That situation could have been managed better and the whole thing could have been nipped in the bud.

Once Steven jogged away it was only a matter of time before he went in hard again.

There’s absolutely no doubt he deserved a dismissal for the foul on Ander Herrera a few seconds later and I think it was a great spot from the assistant, who appeared to advise Martin that it was a stamp.

What a load of utter bollocks in this thread. I dread to think what would have been written on here after Keegan got sent off for fighting Bremner, or Souness breaking that Sofia player's jaw, or Brucie or Barney having a run of mediocre performances, or Ronnie Whelan (it was hard enough defending him on the Kop).
One of our greatest being treated like a cunt by people who are clearly much more deserving of that title.
I despair.

I don't remember any of them blowing a crucial game for their team through their total lack of self-control. Even Keegan only exploded after a ridiculous amount of provocation from one of the universe's uber-thugs, and that was in a friendly. So those examples aren't really apposite. Anyway, it's only a silly little internet forum thread. It's not a court room judgement.

"Has Stampy Me, er.. Slippy G, sorry.. er.. Steven Gerrard damaged his Legend Status ?"

Who is responsible for this abomination of a poll question?!

You beat me to it.

FFS, sort it out Jono or remove that pointless poll.

You beat me to it.

FFS, sort it out Jono or remove that pointless poll.

Nah it relevant.... Its good to see the majority see it as is...

Though I am interested to know who was the numpty that voted his legacy is tarnished..

It's farcical. Hardly anyone will remember in a couple of years and he'll simply be celebrated as one of the true greats of the game. But while he's playing I make no apology for maintaining the policy of praising when it's justified and criticising when it's justified. It's football, not Catholicism.

Do a poll by all means if you like. Perhaps drop the Stampy Me, Slippy me etc. Sounds like a Manc created it.

Kinds Regards,

Over sensitive poster.

I get your point.. but it is funny... regardless... Im surrounded by Mancs in work.. I can only but laugh over the whole thing..

It's the most tabloid thing I've ever seen this site do

Though Kelvin 'The Cunt' McKenzie wrote for the fucking guardian this week, so I don't know what to think any more

I don't remember any of them blowing a crucial game for their team through their total lack of self-control. Even Keegan only exploded after a ridiculous amount of provocation from one of the universe's uber-thugs, and that was in a friendly. So those examples aren't really apposite. Anyway, it's only a silly little internet forum thread. It's not a court room judgement.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples, but thankfully the internet wasn't invented then. I would argue that if Souness had done that now (apologies, it was the '84 semi against Dynamo Bucherest not Sofia) it would have been viewed from eight different angles and he would have been banned for a minimum of 10 games, probably more. He broke a man's jaw with a right hook and we went on to win the semi and he lifted the cup. So, yes, he would have totally blown a crucial game. And yes, it is a silly little internet forum...

I would argue that if Souness had done that now (apologies, it was the '84 semi against Dynamo Bucherest not Sofia) it would have been viewed from eight different angles and he would have been banned for a minimum of 10 games..

So your point is that if the internet had existed when it didn't, and referees reffed then like they do now but didn't then, and Souness had known what he didn't know about all of that and still ignored it, it would have been very different. I quite agree. Night night.

So your point is that if the internet had existed when it didn't, and referees reffed then like they do now but didn't then, and Souness had known what he didn't know about all of that and still ignored it, it would have been very different. I quite agree. Night night.

Nicely deconstructed to make no point whatsoever. Not like you to be clever-clever just for the sake of it. You usually have a very erudite point, even if I don't always agree with you, although usually I do. Bad day? You seem to have a personal vendetta against one of our greatest ever players. Not sure why. Not sure what the night night comment signifies either. It's 11.49am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom