• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Scum Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutted we didn't hold on, I guess that's why it helps having a plan b and hoofing balls constantly into the box.

I would have gladly taken a point before the game started but somehow ended disappointed with the point. How delightful if we had grabbed all 3 and be in their face with gloatings of stealing it. We had chances but did not take it but at the same time overjoy they didn't take their chances either.

I'm not sure about the Firmino criticism - I thought he played well. Ming was superb as well. Well done him. Ah well. The Ibra finish was very good I have to say.

Well hard to know how to feel after that.

Obviously I was hoping as every fan was that we would turn up and blow them away with a display similar to that at the Bridge or the Emirates. A display full of attaching intent with flashes of brilliant and bum them 0-4 or something.

Not getting that I would have settled for any win at all in any fashion which is what we nearly got.

I really think we needed to win that game to have a shot at winning the league, not just for the three points and to keep the gap at 5 points but the confidence a win over a resurgent Utd team on a long winning run at their own place putting us back into 2nd.

We very nearly hung on but were extremely unlucky the linesman was a dickhead.

Once you get past the hope of winning the league and realize we have maintained the gap at 5 points to 5th and that top 4 was always the pre season objective you feel a lot better about a point away to Utd.

We didn't play very well in any area of the game and if it wasn't for Ming having a blinder we'd have lost.
Nice to finally be a side thankful for they even keeper putting in a MOTM performance instead of being on the end of it.

Lovren was exceptional (couple of brain fades apart)
Henderson too worked his socks off for a player just coming back into a huge game. As I said in the pre game thread he would be the most vital player to come back in.
TAA did well considering everything.
Lallana was largely ineffective
Coutinho is so vital to our attacking play

Would have liked to see Sturridge for last 15

Just as a small aside and probably not the right place to post this - I don't really care. I'm just watching MOTD2. Andy Carrol's goal was fucking sublime!
It's the type of goal I want professional footballers to score more often.

A lot of things he said was pro Liverpool but yeah, throw them in his face. Give over.

They're taken out of context or worded poorly aswell. But it doesnt really matter.
He's become like one of the two old farts in the Muppet show. No one is listening to whats being shouted from up there in the balcony anyway.

I'm only page 5 and can't stand anything Brendan is writing
That's a little harsh no?

Ya he doesn't rate Firmino or Origi, but then his subjective belief is that a striker should score 15-20 goals a season in the league so he's always going to have issues with those two until such time as they hit that mark.

Once you get past that the rest is hardly anything everyone else can't see.

It's actually really weird seeing so many posters jump on him for having an opinion.

If Firmino had scored a hat trick he'd be just as estactic as anyone else.

This place can be extremely hypocrtical at times

That's a little harsh no?

Ya he doesn't rate Firmino or Origi, but then his subjective belief is that a striker should score 15-20 goals a season in the league so he's always going to have issues with those two until such time as they hit that mark.

Once you get past that the rest is hardly anything everyone else can't see.

It's actually really weird seeing so many posters jump on him for having an opinion.

If Firmino had scored a hat trick he'd be just as estactic as anyone else.

This place can be extremely hypocrtical at times
Agree Dreamy. I cannot beleive that some people thought we could hold onto that one goal lead playing the way we were. Our entire defensive strategy is based around keeping the ball and for most of that 2nd half we did not have that ball. Also that miss by Firminio was bad.

It's not like we didn't know it was coming, we didn't change a thing to deal with it and it ultimately cost us the win
We set up perfectly Dreamy, they scored an offside goal after repeatedly hoofing it into our box, there's not much we can do about that. The way we set up meant we had three or four gilt edged chances that we should have scored, if Wijnaldum was more composed, and Herrera wasn't quite so grabby we'd have scored two or three on the counter.

We set up perfectly Dreamy, they scored an offside goal after repeatedly hoofing it into our box, there's not much we can do about that. The way we set up meant we had three or four gilt edged chances that we should have scored, if Wijnaldum was more composed, and Herrera wasn't quite so grabby we'd have scored two or three on the counter.

We knew defending those long balls would be difficult when Fellaini came on. Would have helped having Matip on the bench, then maybe we would have added another defender for the last 10 minutes.

Well hard to know how to feel after that.

This is exactly what I struggled with after the game and I couldn't work out whether I was angry or what. On reflection I think it's because for the first time in years we're better than them and have an upward trajectory.

It was bordering on indifference that it was the scum that we were playing. It's great to beat them but it's not our Cup Final any more. Obviously it's good but our relationship to them has changed.

This is exactly what I struggled with after the game and I couldn't work out whether I was angry or what. On reflection I think it's because for the first time in years we're better than them and have an upward trajectory.

It was bordering on indifference that it was the scum that we were playing. It's great to beat them but it's not our Cup Final any more. Obviously it's good but our relationship to them has changed.

It also said a lot that their fans were more happy with a draw then we were after the game.

Once again poor reffing has cost us, offside in the lead up to the goal and the second cross was from Rooney who never never never should have been on the pitch after his assault on Milner. That was a leg breaker style tackle and how he didn't even get booked for it in full view of the ref is a scandal. It would be very nice if we could get a little rub of the green with the officials because by my reckoning it has cost us 6 points in the last four or five games.

As Souness said this is always our toughest fixture of the season and Klopp got his tactics spot on, we never let them get into their stride. The hoof ball tactics were pretty laughable for a £600m team to adopt but I thought our " shite " defence " ( with a reserve and a kid in the back four ) coped very well with the aerial bombardment. If Coutinho was fit and had started we would have won that game, even without Mane.

Oh and Lovren one poor back pass apart was absolutely immense in that game man of the match by a country mile.

Yeah, if you want to measure it in annoyance I guess you're right. Well done.

OK, well you know how I love to use actual facts and stuff, so here goes!

In the United Match thread yesterday, I made c.56 posts. The vast majority were the usual "That was close!" or "Horrible tackle" three or four word posts.

Within those 56 posts, I mentioned Firmino a grand total of twice.

The only person instigating any pointless abuse or personal attacks was Leo, who called me a cunt a few times, was warned for it and duly stopped. I made a couple of less than optimistic posts along the lines of "it is highly unlikely that we won't concede". We duly concede.

So in summary: I got the match team right and shared that the night before; Firmino was mentioned in 1% of my total posts; I instigated and participated in zero arguments; I abused nobody; and the only prediction I made about the result was correct.

I'm not sure what more anyone could ask for in a Match Thread!

What appears to be happening is a strange, localised, core of sad, angry, hypocritical posters , employing confirmation bias and hypocrisy to persuade themselves something is happening that actually isn't.

It would seem to have its roots in the first lot of Firmino posts when I questioned the goalscoring quality of the player, and presented the interesting hypothesis - backed by actual facts - about Champions and top scorers, which then led to a fascinating debate about "matchwinners" and "clinical finishing".

Firmino was the lightning rod, and when first presented, every goal he scored was used by four or five amusingly irate posters to jump up and down and point and laugh, "yeah, silly Brendan!" etc etc. Most tiresome. However, the period after, in which there has been a downturn in his form, and a pitiful ONE goal in 12 games, only seems to have made this group almost apoplectic with rage, as if me being right and/or having a valid point was somehow a direct slur on them, as opposed to something almost entirely predictable.

It's quite interesting, but as usual reflects poorly on most of those involved.

Last edited:
You guys are aware of an "ignore" feature on this site, right?

Save yourself some time on your life and use it

I don't want to ignore Brendan's post. I like a lot of his posts, always have, plus I don't think I've ever used the ignore function. I just wasn't liking his posts or tone in the match thread.

Last edited:
OK, well you know how I love to use actual facts and stuff, so here goes!

In the United Match thread yesterday, I made c.56 posts. The vast majority were the usual "That was close!" or "Horrible tackle" three or four word posts.

Within those 56 posts, I mentioned Firmino a grand total of twice.

The only person instigating any pointless abuse or personal attacks was Leo, who called me a cunt a few times, was warned for it and duly stopped. I made a couple of less than optimistic posts along the lines of "it is highly unlikely that we won't concede". We duly concede.

So in summary: I got the match team right and shared that the night before; Firmino was mentioned in 1% of my total posts; I instigated and participated in zero arguments; I abused nobody; and the only prediction I made about the result was correct.

I'm not sure what more anyone could ask for in a Match Thread!

What appears to be happening is a strange, localised, core of sad, angry, hypocritical posters , employing confirmation bias and hypocrisy to persuade themselves something is happening that actually isn't.

It would seem to have its roots in the first lot of Firmino posts when I questioned the goalscoring quality of the player, and presented the interesting hypothesis - backed by actual facts - about Champions and top scorers, which then led to a fascinating debate about "matchwinners" and "clinical finishing".

Firmino was the lightning rod, and when first presented, every goal he scored was used by four or five amusingly irate posters to jump up and down and point and laugh, "yeah, silly Brendan!" etc etc. Most tiresome. However, the period after, in which there has been a downturn in his form, and a pitiful ONE goal in 12 games, only seems to have made this group almost apoplectic with rage, as if me being right and/or having a valid point was somehow a direct slur on them, as opposed to something almost entirely predictable.

It's quite interesting, but as usual reflects poorly on most of those involved.

Read this in the voice of Alan Partridge for pure lolz

Oh and Lovren one poor back pass apart was absolutely immense in that game man of the match by a country mile.

Yeah, he was impressive. I think in the MOTM thread he has had quite a few mentions, along with Milner and Mignolet.

The more I've thought about the game, I do think than Can also merits a bit more credit, he created a few decent chances and he was also very strong in the tackle and bullied Pogba.

Nice to see him get back to a high level after a few dismal performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom