• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man City (a) - PL - Sun 1630

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Without doubt the biggest game of the season and arguably one of the most important league games we played in the past 10 years.

We drew against them early in the season without Trent or Thiago (with Millie RB and Jones CM).

There are many selection headaches, for me the key ones are Hendo vs Naby in CM and the front three. I think we’ll see:

Ali

Trent
Matip
Virgil
Robbo

Fabs
Thiago
Hendo

Salah
Bobby
Diaz

I’d rather see Naby over Hendo but I’d love that front three. Diaz is in form, Bobby’s pressing on their CBs/DM will be critical and Mo can’t be dropped for this.

Huge game. Can’t wait - this is what football is all about!

That’s the sort of professionalism we need [mention]Brizzle [/mention]. Banging out the threads with military precision

(not Russian military precision obv.)

Referee Anthony Taylor and on VAR is Paul Tierney. How can two mancunians be selected for such a high profile and important game. Cue controversial decisions.

Last edited:
Henderson will start. 100%.

Last nights subs would’ve been planned. So it’ll be Salah, Jota and Mané starting. Thiago too.

Alisson
Robertson (who needs dropping he was shite yesterday)
Van Dijk
Matip
Alexander Arnold
Fabinho
Thiago
Henderson
Jota
Mané
Salah

Henderson will 100% play. Need him on the pitch to ride out any sticky patches.

Think we'll also get the classic front 3 line up of Mane, Bobby and Salah.

Mane is in decent form. Bobby for the pressing and Salah for the Salah.
Yep. Exactly this. The only possible switch to this would be Jota for Bobby but since Klopp would trust Bobby with his life ...

Only question is the front 3, i have a feeling it’ll be Diaz Mane Salah but who knows, there are so many combinations with valid arguments.

Bobby looks sharp and effective currently, Jota is the most consistent goal scorer. Tough to leave either out.

Unbelievably big game, expect to age 5 years this weekend.

I think we will see Bobby start.
His press will be very important on Sunday and he seems to link better with Sadio and Mo than Jota when he plays the central role.
His movement also seems to allow Mo to excel that bit more as well.
We need top performing Mo on Sunday.
Diaz probably deserves the start but I reckon it will be Sadio as he knows our defensive shape and duties better at the moment.

Based on FORM ... i'd go with

TAA - Big Joel - VvD - Robbo

Hendo Fab Thiago

Jota Mane Diaz

I think we'll see that back four and middle 3, but the tried and tested front 3 ... salah, bobby & mane.
Make us believe boys ... make us believe.

Yup, I agree with this. I'd rather see Naby instead, and Salah is key for this big of a game

Naby has earned himself a bit of a rep for flopping in the big matches though, but in theory he’sa great ball carrier amongst other things. I can’t see past the O’s - Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho

Firmino didnt impress when he came on last night. Salah - Mane - Diaz might get the nod. Jota to come off the bench.

Henderson will 100% play. Need him on the pitch to ride out any sticky patches.

Think we'll also get the classic front 3 line up of Mane, Bobby and Salah.

Mane is in decent form. Bobby for the pressing and Salah for the Salah.
Hendo covers in for Trent when he goes forward

What if Klopp sidesteps the whole Henderson vs Keita issue and plays with 4 forwards? That's what he did away at City last season (that game finished 1:1):

city.png

Fabinho-Thiago combo in midfield should be a serious upgrade over Henderson-Wijnaldum and the defensive line will be better with VVD. I would not overthink this, Firmino is the one from the 5 forwards who should miss out based on everything, Hendo at this point seems to be good only for 30 minute stints at the top level of performance. Start with our best players and smash these cunts.

(4-2-2-2, of sorts):
-----------------Alisson-----------------
--------Matip----------Van Dijk-------
Trent-----------------------------Robbo
-----------Thiago----Fabinho---------
Salah-------------------------------Diaz
------------Jota-------Mane------------

In this system, Mane and Diaz would switch places constantly and try to make Kyle Walker's life a living nightmare, while Salah and Jota would patiently wait for a moment to strike, like a hunter in the woods. Out of possession, everyone will swarm the City players and try to take away their passing rhythm. Reverse the tables, make them defend and play out of possession and they will be there for the taking.

Last edited:
What if Klopp sidesteps the whole Henderson vs Keita issue and plays with 4 forwards? That's what he did away at City last season (that game finished 1:1):

city.png

Fabinho-Thiago combo in midfield should be a serious upgrade over Henderson-Wijnaldum and the defensive line will be better with VVD. I would not overthink this, Firmino is the one from the 5 forwards who should miss out based on everything, Hendo is good only for 30 minute stints at the top level of performance. Start with our best players and smash these cunts.

(4-2-2-2, of sorts):
-----------------Alisson-----------------
--------Matip----------Van Dijk-------
Trent-----------------------------Robbo
------------Thiago----Fabinho--------
Salah-------------------------------Diaz
------------Jota-------Mane------------

In this system, Mane and Diaz would switch places constantly and try to make Kyle Walker's life a living nightmare, while Salah and Jota would patiently wait for a moment to strike, like a hunter in the woods. Out of possession, everyone will swarm the City players and try to take away their passing rhythm. Reverse the tables, make them defend and play out of possession and they will be there for the taking.

Interesting, but won’t happen

Last season :

citylpool1.png

Bar swapping Torres for Foden that's the best City have (Grealish for Sterling isn't an upgrade) and they will be without Dias. Whilst we improve with Fabs, Thiago and VvD with Diaz + Jota as backups if our front three (and I think it will be those three again) aren't scoring.

We have a much better team, in both defence and midfield, than last season whereas they are slightly stronger in attack but weaker (Stones or Ake for Dias) in defence. Quietly confident.

Last edited:
Usualy keeper and back 4.

I absolutely agree that Hendo starts along with Fabs & Thiago - can’t see it any other way.

I reckon he starts with Mane, Jotta & Salah up front.

If we start Fabs & Thiago i am bullish on us becoming favourites. Genuinely don’t think there’s a better midfield pair on the planet. We just need to be clinical in attack, making good pass vs shoot decisions and avoid sloppy mistakes.

This game will be won by one team’s forward press.

City have had our number for a while. We have to find a way to beat City so will be interesting to see how Klopp approaches this.
Pretty sure he will go old school Salah, Mane plus possibly with Jota rather than Bobby.
Pretty sure will be Thiago + Fab + Hendo.
What a game, the build up is going to be intense and calling it Titanic will be an understatement.

City have had our number for a while. We have to find a way to beat City so will be interesting to see how Klopp approaches this.
Pretty sure he will go old school Salah, Mane plus possibly with Jota rather than Bobby.
Pretty sure will be Thiago + Fab + Hendo.
What a game, the build up is going to be intense and calling it Titanic will be an understatement.

Yea they do seem to quite easily stifle us now. But this is why Fab + Thiago is so big, its a great combo they haven’t faced before. I’m sure that partnership is enjoying the penthouse apartment in Guardiolas head. Also with Diaz and Jota there’s a lot more for them to consider.

Yea they do seem to quite easily stifle us now. But this is why Fab + Thiago is so big, its a great combo they haven’t faced before. I’m sure that partnership is enjoying the penthouse apartment in Guardiolas head. Also with Diaz and Jota there’s a lot more for them to consider.

Yep, we never really had much options of the bench before apart from bringing on Divock and Ox when things just needed a change.
Having Naby on bench is a good option to press later when required aswell. As a challenge, it’s something else but what a game. Only game the comes close to this interms was the 2019 Jan game in the league but this is coming much later in the season. I may for a change watch all the build up as it maybe better than the actual game.

Is it more important to win or not loose?
Watching Athleti on tuesday was funny, no shots from them but also for most part contained City. Do we go whirlwind for first 20mins then go steady? Go steady first half then rock and roll second half? I realise things aren’t as simple but what a prospect.

Last edited:
Last season :

citylpool1.png

Bar swapping Torres for Foden that's the best City have (Grealish for Sterling isn't an upgrade) and they will be without Dias. Whilst we improve with Fabs, Thiago and VvD with Diaz + Jota as backups if our front three (and I think it will be those three again) aren't scoring.

We have a much better team, in both defence and midfield, than last season whereas they are slightly stronger in attack but weaker (Stones or Ake for Dias) in defence. Quietly confident.

I thought they were much better than us at Anfield earlier this season.

But we were missing Trent, Thiago and Keita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom