• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (a) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
367476168_6735847436438640_6531118119424429400_n.jpg

Lol, what is the point of that?

I watched back carefully, and I noticed that we were a man down for an hour and then we played some absolutely sublime counterattacking football with quick, lethal, vertical passing. Then, I managed to uncover, from some of the less popular, hipster reverse angles, that Nunez banged in two goals in like a prime golden-locked Torres and then we took all the points.

That’s illuminating. I’d never heard of the touchline as an extra defender especially when the opposing fullbacks are that progressive which Burns and Tripper aren’t.

Yep. Really good insights. We used to coach kids to use the touchline that way, but overlapping fullbacks make it 2v2 and the touchline lacks much mobility. I did not consider that Newcastle does not overlap that much.

Also really like the analysis of the 5 up top and the rotation that happened with Jota and Nunez. Makes a lot of sense.

Observations:
1. Klopp used to be a lot crazier back then
2. Spurs must be sick of the sight of us in the last few years
3. So is Eddie Howe

It has been mentioned a few times on podcasts and such that Klopp has said he celebrates goals very differently now, being a lot more restrained, because of VAR. Bit of a shame.

It has been mentioned a few times on podcasts and such that Klopp has said he celebrates goals very differently now, being a lot more restrained, because of VAR. Bit of a shame.
The dubious benefits of VAR are nowhere near enough to outweigh the losses, and this is the greatest one- that concern about celebrating a goal is a goal. Is it really worth it for the odd mistaken offside call or handball that the ref never spotted. Nah, fuck it off.

Gordon does get away with, as per City game.
Whatever the pound shop Rooney lacks in talent, he makes up up for in Cunt factor.

The dubious benefits of VAR are nowhere near enough to outweigh the losses, and this is the greatest one- that concern about celebrating a goal is a goal. Is it really worth it for the odd mistaken offside call or handball that the ref never spotted. Nah, fuck it off.

I remember our first match under VAR, west brom in a cup match was it? Fucking awful but it’s gotten a bit faster and we’ve gotten used to it.

I agree with you but at the next time a big potentially league deciding decision is wrong I’ll probably flop back to wanting VAR.

I remember our first match under VAR, west brom in a cup match was it? Fucking awful but it’s gotten a bit faster and we’ve gotten used to it.

I agree with you but at the next time a big potentially league deciding decision is wrong I’ll probably flop back to wanting VAR.
Yeah, but they get the league deciding decisions wrong anyway, or completely bottle them. That last minute peno Everton should have got against City in the second last game of the season (or thereabouts) two years ago, which would have put us in a title winning position, for instance. They didn't call it. What's the point?

Yeah, but they get the league deciding decisions wrong anyway, or completely bottle them. That last minute peno Everton should have got against City in the second last game of the season (or thereabouts) two years ago, which would have put us in a title winning position, for instance. They didn't call it. What's the point?
Honestly the current implementation of "clear and obvious" practically translates to "whenever we fancy". I'm sure the FA implements it that way as a get out clause for the repeated refereeing fuck ups.

Must admit though, I do like the new time wasting laws and extra time added due to it. I know it’s not related to VAR though.

The new rules which remove subjectivity are great. Waving a card, throwing ball away etc.

For me the next one should be faking a head injury - if VAR sees no contact with head/face they can easily interject. Now that head injuries stop play this should be scrutinised.

Honestly the current implementation of "clear and obvious" practically translates to "whenever we fancy". I'm sure the FA implements it that way as a get out clause for the repeated refereeing fuck ups.
Fwiw, I think the only aspect of VAR they've (eventually) got spot on are the offside checks. I realise the rules are black and white there, and the situations can be digitally quantified thus removing human error and influence from the mates club from the equation, but it should serve as a basis of how to use VAR imo.

Clear and obvious makes sense in principle, as no one wants the game being micromanaged, but in practice absolute howlers are being repeatedly missed, as spineless refs are hiding behind clear and obvious as an excuse to protect their mates, or to chicken out of making a big call, it's got to be tweaked.

Gordon kicking the ball away with no punishments, after TAA got a yellow for doing the same is just bonkers. these silly new rules create a lot of new "dynamics".

Gordon kicking the ball away with no punishments, after TAA got a yellow for doing the same is just bonkers. these silly new rules create a lot of new "dynamics".

These rules are wrong in every sense - they are actually making the game fucking boring and shit, I think the only thing that should stay is the time-wasting and players having to go off if they pretend to have an injury - that is working. But taking out all the emotions from players, and the management dug-out is bollox and the PL should realize its making the game less entertaining. Plus Refs need to take some abuse.

I do agree to a degree, though I'm torn on it when I think about the time Sterling was judged to be offside in a very important game (was it City?) in our almost season with Rodgers, when he would have been clear on goal. VAR would have allowed the linesman to keep his flag down, and maybe those points would have won us the league.

Yes. Absolutely it is.

Imagine it costs you a cup final or the PL title or relegation. And most times crowds and players now celebrate twice so you are getting double your money's-worth !

I agree that it needs better implementation / adjudication however don't blame the tools when it's the tool user that's the issue !

So is the elephant in the room that 95% of teams sit deep against us and all the assets Nunez used to score two belters don’t usually apply and why he has struggled at times?

You can count on 1 hand the number of teams who are going to allow us to counter like that this season.

So is the elephant in the room that 95% of teams sit deep against us and all the assets Nunez used to score two belters don’t usually apply and why he has struggled at times?

You can count on 1 hand the number of teams who are going to allow us to counter like that this season.

The other way we can play Nunez is when we play against a low block, as we do against all sorts of shit teams, and we have so much possession that we can play gakpo as an am behind him, or some other solution where we get four attackers on. Oh, and when the injuries come. If he is healthy, he will play plenty and score.

Every good forward likes more space. We will have to make it in other games. Our build up play has been far inferior to our counterattacking play recently, but that's not a problem for nunez so much as something we need to sort out for the team.

The other way we can play Nunez is when we play against a low block, as we do against all sorts of shit teams, and we have so much possession that we can play gakpo as an am behind him, or some other solution where we get four attackers on. Oh, and when the injuries come. If he is healthy, he will play plenty and score.

Every good forward likes more space. We will have to make it in other games. Our build up play has been far inferior to our counterattacking play recently, but that's not a problem for nunez so much as something we need to sort out for the team.
I think that'll come sooner rather than later. We have a completely new midfield and the front line is inconsistent. They'll get there and then watch us go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom