• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match: Union Saint-Gilloise (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratings -

Everybody - Shit.

We should've just handed the 3 points and not bothered travelling.

Well that was a bit more than meh.

Id say Bradley was ok-ish 2nd half. The rest were not up to speed

Quansah MotM

I think you've missed the point in regards to player development.
Those kids aren't gonna get another start for a long while, that isn't player development. Throwing them all to the wolves against a good Belgian side sitting top of the league and getting walked all over for 95mins isn't player development. They were brought into the XI to give the first team a rest, that's it.

What we saw is proof these boys need to go out and experience what it's like to play against men.

Missed the game, worth watching the replay?
Absolutely.

h95017A48

Liverpool player ratings vs Royale Union Saint-Gilloise: Jurgen Klopp's youth experiment fails while Cody

GOAL rates Liverpool's players from Lotto Park...

Goalkeeper & Defence

Caoimhin Kelleher (6/10):

Should have done much better for the goals but pulled off a couple of good saves in the second half.

Conor Bradley (4/10):

Beaten for pace one too many times as he pushed high up and reacted slowly as Saint-Gilloise attacked.

Jarell Quansah (6/10):

Positioning let him down many times, including for the first goal but did okay on one-on-one battles, particularly in the second half. His finish for the equaliser was excellent.

Ibrahima Konate (6/10):

His experience was vital at times as he mopped up for his younger fellow defenders but struggled at times with so much space left around him.

Luke Chambers (4/10):

Didn't really offer anything on the left side

Midfield

Harvey Elliott (4/10):

Simply didn't offer enough to help his team when they were under pressure and scrambling to take control of the game.

Wataru Endo (5/10):

Sensible on the ball but did not protect the back line well enough - let his man run ahead for the Belgians' second goal and was off at half-time.

Curtis Jones (5/10):

Saw a lot of the ball but sometimes too slow to pick out a pass and couldn't move the attacks forward.

Attack

Ben Doak (5/10):

Worked hard to get on the ball as space up front was limited but had no luck creating anything.

Cody Gakpo (4/10):

Just couldn't really get on the ball often enough due to a lack of service from his team-mates. Didn't even have a shot at goal.

Kaide Gordon (4/10):

Gave the ball away too much and struggled against a strong defence.

Subs & Manager

Ryan Gravenberch (4/10):

Played the entire second half but did nothing to help his side take control of the match apart from a shot from distance.

Joe Gomez (5/10):

Replaced Konate at half-time and made it easier for Liverpool to build up from the back.

Calum Scanlon (6/10):

Came on to help out at left-back and didn't do a bad job.

Darwin Nunez (6/10):

His presence boosted Liverpool slightly as they searched for a second equaliser.

James McConnell (5/10):

On for the last 15 minutes but didn't get a chance to impact the game.

Jurgen Klopp (4/10):

His team were poorly set up as he made significant changes to his starting XI given Liverpool had already qualified for the next round of the Europa League. But even bringing on more senior players did not change their fortunes drastically.

Last edited:
Well that killed any hope I had for our u21s.
I'm surprised that Elliott, Jones and Gakpo did nothing.

Well that killed any hope I had for our u21s.
I'm surprised that Elliott, Jones and Gakpo did nothing.

They were not so bad individually, but they couldn’t make the system work with so many young players who were frankly physically overmatched - this is the difference between playing as a youngster in a team of senior players and being a senior player, someone who needs to become the platform for others to shine. Overall, I expected more from the youngsters and reserves, but also have to give credit to Union SG who played well.

No injuries, so that’s a positive.

Last edited:
Liverpool player ratings vs Royale Union Saint-Gilloise: Jurgen Klopp's youth experiment fails while Cody

GOAL rates Liverpool's players from Lotto Park...

• Goalkeeper & Defence
    Caoimhin Kelleher (6/10):

Should have done much better for the goals but pulled off a couple of good saves in the second half.

Conor Bradley (4/10):

Beaten for pace one too many times as he pushed high up and reacted slowly as Saint-Gilloise attacked.

Jarell Quansah (6/10):

Positioning let him down many times, including for the first goal but did okay on one-on-one battles, particularly in the second half. His finish for the equaliser was excellent.

Ibrahima Konate (6/10):

His experience was vital at times as he mopped up for his younger fellow defenders but struggled at times with so much space left around him.

Luke Chambers (4/10):

Didn't really offer anything on the left side

• Midfield
    Harvey Elliott (4/10):

Simply didn't offer enough to help his team when they were under pressure and scrambling to take control of the game.

Wataru Endo (5/10):

Sensible on the ball but did not protect the back line well enough - let his man run ahead for the Belgians' second goal and was off at half-time.

Curtis Jones (5/10):

Saw a lot of the ball but sometimes too slow to pick out a pass and couldn't move the attacks forward.
    Attack
  • Ben Doak (5/10):

Worked hard to get on the ball as space up front was limited but had no luck creating anything.

Cody Gakpo (4/10):

Just couldn't really get on the ball often enough due to a lack of service from his team-mates. Didn't even have a shot at goal.

Kaide Gordon (4/10):

Gave the ball away too much and struggled against a strong defence.

• Subs & Manager
    Ryan Gravenberch (4/10):

Played the entire second half but did nothing to help his side take control of the match apart from a shot from distance.

Joe Gomez (5/10):

Replaced Konate at half-time and made it easier for Liverpool to build up from the back.

Calum Scanlon (6/10):

Came on to help out at left-back and didn't do a bad job.

Darwin Nunez (6/10):

His presence boosted Liverpool slightly as they searched for a second equaliser.

James McConnell (5/10):

On for the last 15 minutes but didn't get a chance to impact the game.

Jurgen Klopp (4/10):

His team were poorly set up as he made significant changes to his starting XI given Liverpool had already qualified for the next round of the Europa League. But even bringing on more senior players did not change their fortunes drastically.
Very fair tbh if not a little generous but I'm giving Grav a 6 purely for producing the one single moment of quality from us in an attacking sense.

I'd knock Ibou down to 5, Gakpo down to 3 and Jones down to 4.

Actually no I'm giving Gakpo a 2 and Jones a 3.

They were not so bad individually, but they couldn’t make the system work with so many young players who were frankly physically overmatched - this is the difference between playing as a youngster in a team of senior players and being a senior player, someone who needs to be the platform for others to shine. Overall, I expected more from the youngsters and reserves, but also have to give credit to Union SG who played well.

City also played their u21s. I can only base it on the highlights but they looked a whole lot better

I don't want to sound too negative, I mean I still have some hope that our younger players will make it.
Bajcetic is the one I think could become a top class player. It's just unfortunate that he's not been able to show it this season.

I don't want to sound too negative, I mean I still have some hope that our younger players will make it.
Bajcetic is the one I think could become a top class player. It's just unfortunate that he's not been able to show it this season.
Nah, they’re all shit. None of them are gonna make it. Get rid and shut down the academy.

I’m kiddin’ btw

Nah, they’re all shit. None of them are gonna make it. Get rid and shut down the academy.
I detect hyperbole. However these youth/reserve players need to rise to the occasion when they're given a chance like that.
Especially the likes of Elliott and Jones, because otherwise they'll be going squad player route. I mean sure they can look good next to our senior players, but in these types of games they need to be the ones taking the lead, showing those who are more inexperienced how it's done.

I didn’t realise this was on at 5.30, tuned in for the last 5 mins. Guess not one for highlights then…

So aside from Endo who’s a touch older and Irish Kev and Cody Gakpo the starting XI were 22 or younger. Of those Elliott, Jones and Quansah are already established in the senior squad.
They were playing against a full first team that are currently second in the Belgian Premier League.
Unsurprisingly we didn’t win 7-0
Both our flanks had pretty much debutant starters (Bradley/Gordon and Chambers/Doak) and it showed. The more seasoned players in the centre I guess Klopp hoped would give enough solidity to allow them to cope.
It didn’t work out. We were constantly caught out in the flanks which allowed us to be overrun/bypassed in the centre and both the goals (and the VAR ruled out one) are the result.
It was a useful exercise, it cost us nothing and our first team are ready for the next three matches. So all is well

Klopp mentioned that “someone told him” the first goal was offside. Obviously we still deserved to lose, but how is it possible for the VAR to mess it up?

I did not like konates performance. Yes, it looked like a shit show in front of him but he just looks more awkward and slow these days.

We really need him to find some form and fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom