• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Villareal (a) - Tues 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the fume cwying their sorry little arses off that UEFA and the FA conspire against anyone trying to get a decision against us?

Are they still cwying that all our players are off their tits on enhancers, coz we've played like every game this season and are still hassling the fuck out of teams in the 90th minute?

Are they still cwying that Klopp's teeth are unnaturally white and his smile is unnaturally infectious?

Are they still cwying because they are small time, plazzy flag waving, bandwagon jumping, tourist camera happy, sad little supporter-less cunts heading for another stadium, only to have their 750 fake fans belittled by a club with actual history?

I fucking hope so. Fume away, cunts.
Are they still cwying because the ref didn't give Mane a penalty after the defender tried to bring him down on his way to scoring the final goal

Lots of respect and admiration for Villareal – a club that must be doing something so right to be punching way above their weight. It's like Burnley going to the CL semi-finals and giving one of the best teams in the world a major scare.

Teams like Villareal, Atalanta etc is also why I’m completely opposed to any “super-league” type arrangement, where clubs qualify based on reputation, money and fanbase rather than results. Football so far managed to keep a pretty healthy eco-system despite all the monetary imbalances because those smaller teams keep the big ones honest - remove that and the whole thing will stink.

Teams like Villareal, Atalanta etc is also why I’m completely opposed to any “super-league” type arrangement, where clubs qualify based on reputation, money and fanbase rather than results. Football so far managed to keep a pretty healthy eco-system despite all the monetary imbalances because those smaller teams keep the big ones honest - remove that and the whole thing will stink.

Nah, the 'product' will survive because there's demand.

They killed the all knock out European Cup. They let runners-up play in it. They killed the Cup Winners Cup. They killed the old UEFA Cup. And the list goes on.

All this shit and still there's a record high on TV revenue, tickets are rare and unaffordable for many, shirt sales go through the roof.

There's no room for romantics.

Nah, the 'product' will survive because there's demand.

They killed the all knock out European Cup. They let runners-up play in it. They killed the Cup Winners Cup. They killed the old UEFA Cup. And the list goes on.

All this shit and still there's a record high on TV revenue, tickets are rare and unaffordable for many, shirt sales go through the roof.

There's no room for romantics.

I think it’s different though - I don’t remember the old pre-Champions League days, but I think I actually prefer the format with 3-4 teams from each country qualifying and no Cup Winners’ Cup, which was kind of a weird competition to begin with. Neither Villarreal or Atalanta or the like would have qualified for the old format Champions Cup unless they actually became champions in their country, which is almost impossible for little guys to pull off. CL in the current format is a hybrid league and cup competition and it’s pretty great - I wish they just left it alone as it is.

I think it’s different though - I don’t remember the old pre-Champions League days, but I think I actually prefer the format with 3-4 teams from each country qualifying and no Cup Winners’ Cup, which was kind of a weird competition to begin with. Neither Villarreal or Atalanta or the like would have qualified for the old format Champions Cup unless they actually became champions, which is incredibly hard to do nowadays.

See? You don't remember it and so you don't miss it. The plan works nicely.

It's a bit ridiculous to call it the champions League, when the Winner could be the 4th best team in their country.

The commentators kept going on about it being the biggest game Villareal have ever played (with the whole small town / small club angle) but if I'm not mistaken they've already played in a CL semi-final against Arsenal. That was when they were managed by Pelligrini and had Riquelme who was great.

Hmm, Arsenal though. I guess they weren't that wrong.

The commentators kept going on about it being the biggest game Villareal have ever played (with the whole small town / small club angle) but if I'm not mistaken they've already played in a CL semi-final against Arsenal. That was when they were managed by Pelligrini and had Riquelme who was great.

It's mad for a team of that size, who's first game in a European competition was only 20 years ago, have made 2 semi finals

I recall it was the host, Jake Humphrey that said it and he is a certifiable twat, as a matter of course.

I'm in Malta for the final, annoying, very long shot, anyone know the island well, are there any decent Liverpool pubs there?

No doubt ill find somewhere showing the game, but would be nice to have some fellow reds around too.

Paraphrasing Thierry Henry : we drew 1-1 away at Lyon but losing 4-1 would not have been unfair. Even the very best teams have off days.

That first half was ours.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking about it. Klopp might told him something like: "look Naby, right now every pundit on TV and every fan in their armchair is screaming to bring you off the pitch for Hendo. I will put my trust in you – make sure you justify it!" To be fair, I don't think he was all that diabolical in the first half – he pressed OK and took up decent advanced positions, but Trent and Konate seem hell-bent on playing every ball over the top and Thiago passed to no one (defensively Keita did leave some holes in midfield, as he usually does). In the 2nd half he was finding the same spaces, but the ball started actually finding him too and the flow of the game completely changed. Looking back, it was the right decision to leave Naby on the pitch until the game was won.

Without doubt. Thaigo was worse and was forcing every pass in the first half when there was no need. Poor old Jota ended up being the fall guy for it.
Glad for Naby he didn’t get taken off and in a way had his redemption from last year because if he had been taken off, you wonder the harm it can do to their confidence for his career. He was excellent in the second half and showed composure and same with Konate, who made some vital interceptions.

It's still a million miles away from when you could draw Red Star Belgrade or Rapid Vienna. The champions league destroyed those country's football leagues.

Last edited:
Check out a place called Bercy in the East of Paris. Not been for a few years but there weee hotels for all budgets and loads of restaurants / bars, plus it’s in the end of the Meteor metro line which gets you into the centre in about 15 minutes.

I'd look at the RER for connections - quicker from suburbs to center. Metro is the milky route, stops everywhere.

It's still a million miles away from when you could draw Red Star Belgrade or Rapid Vienna. The champions league destroyed those country's football leagues.
From its inception Austria Wien (2nd most successful Austrian club) have made the ¼ finals once (84-85) and the semis once (78-79) usually going out in the group stages. In fact 2004/5 was probably their 3rd best showing ever (group).
SK Rapid Wien (most successful) were at their peak in the 60s to 80s (3 x ¼ and 1 x semi) however their demise in Austria (only won the league twice after 1995) meant they rarely qualified thereafter.

In contrast RB Salzburg have won the Austria league 13 times out of the past 16 years (RW once, AW once and Sturm Graz once) so no surprise we see hardly anything of Rapid or AW ! Salzburg have made the group stages three times in their history.

As for Red Star it was the various Balkan wars of independence from Serbia (1991 - 2001) that fucked them up with massive human and economic cost. To emphasise the effects of those wars on the club (and breakup of their league), they won the Euro Cup in 1991 but since then they have only made the group stages twice.

Partizan win the Serbian Championship almost as often as RSB however their heyday was in the 60's (made one final) and the group stages only once since 1966.

I think it suffice to say that numerous external influences, and the influx into the game of huge TV & sponsorship money into the major leagues, have had a major effect on these teams' demise - rather than CL money alone.

Sorry for being so nerdy - your post peaked my interest!

Last edited:
Every decent player from a small country now moves to England or Spain as there are 4 CL places and every player wants to play in the CL. It's that simple. Those leagues used to retain talent, now they don't.

You can still play those teams in the Champions League though. Obvious point, but we would not be in this year's competition under the old rules and the likes of Red Star would be – that would have been a huge downgrade.

And yeah, as @Frogfish wrote, CL was not the only and probably not even the biggest factor for the decline of the smaller leagues. I do feel sorry for the likes of Ajax who have such storied football culture, but cannot retain good players because their league cannot compete financially; wish there was a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom