• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Raul shows Sven hasn't got a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Raul shows most haven't got a clue

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43772.msg1259850#msg1259850 date=1295764620]
Dreamy - where did people say "overall Raul isn't good enough"?

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

Yeah, was going to say exactly the same thing.

He was poor in the two games prior to his goal scoring spree and a number said he had to pull his finger out. They were very clear that he was much better than what he was showing and wanted him to bring it - he looked lazy and careless for two or three games on the trot. When Stevie does it - possibly our greatest ever player - he cops some stick on this site. Why on earth would Raul be exempt from the same?

I think most on here have been clamouring almost all season to see Raul and Stevie in the middle together but, for some inexplicable reason, Roy seemed determined to avoid it. There are some signs that Kenny is of the same thought and I hope the last couple of games have changed his mind.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43772.msg1260354#msg1260354 date=1295834794]

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

He was poor in the two games prior to his goal scoring spree and a number said he had to pull his finger out. They were very clear that he was much better than what he was showing and wanted him to bring it - he looked lazy and careless for two or three games on the trot. When Stevie does it - possibly our greatest ever player - he cops some stick on this site. Why on earth would Raul be exempt from the same?

I think most on here have been clamouring almost all season to see Raul and Stevie in the middle together but, for some inexplicable reason, Roy seemed determined to avoid it. There are some signs that Kenny is of the same thought and I hope the last couple of games have changed his mind.
[/quote]

You think a Meireles-Gerrard CM partnership would work? In a 4-4-2?

Hmmm, I've got some serious doubts mate. They're both a bit too 'loose (that the right word?) to form a CM partnership in my view. There's a reason why Lampard and Gerrard never worked at International level, and this might be the same for us; great on the ball, but they lack the discipline required to sit, hold, break-up play, stay back, solidify, etc etc.

Of course you could ask one of them to do that role - of holding and restricting (probably Gerrard) but it's a bit of a waste isn't it?

In a midfield 3 with a quality DM alongisde them, sure. In a 4-4-2, no.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43772.msg1260377#msg1260377 date=1295842851]

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmm, I've got some serious doubts mate. They're both a bit too 'loose (that the right word?) to form a CM partnership in my view. There's a reason why Lampard and Gerrard never worked at International level, and this might be the same for us; great on the ball, but they lack the discipline required to sit, hold, break-up play, stay back, solidify, etc etc.

Of course you could ask one of them to do that role - of holding and restricting (probably Gerrard) but it's a bit of a waste isn't it?

[/quote]

question then becomes if that Midfield 3 is Gerrard, Merieles & Adam will it work or will we have 3 centrla players really noted for their defensive capabilities.

When iot was Mascherano, Alonso & Gerrard it worked... to the extent it almost seemed too defensive.

I think we'll find that if we sign Adam, then he and Merielse will be competing for 1 position or at least rotating and in a way that's not a bad thing - competition is good.

we will definetely need one top quality defensive midfielder while hanging on to one of Lucas or Spearing as cover (probably).

That leaves Gerrar5d, Cole, Maxi & Kuyt (assuming Babel leaves) plus whatever young players (Shevley, Pacheco, Suso) & new signings (Suarez, Young, N'Zogbia??) to compete for the attacking positions & Torres + another striker to operate upfront. (Suarez would be ideal because he can drop in to a deeper attacking role when Torres is playing or lead the line when he's not.

Left Back must be addressed because Johnson, while doing well, is not a left back. I think playing more pas and move on the ground will get more out of Johnson "IF" we have settled & composed CB pairing & a quality DM who can help him. Obviously Kelly can come in a do a good job, but I'm not sure he's ready to be first choice yet, and besides he cn offer cover at CB as well.

Carragher & Agger are the CB pairing - and at some point we should probably move Skrtel on & replace him with someon much better. One I think we can wait till the summer to figure out.

Adam's not a defensive midfielder. He's a sugarfree Alonso.

Now that doesn't mean we necessarily need him to be one, especially if we're playing against some junk at home. We could fire him, Raul and Stevie into the same midfield and it would work perfectly fine. That might even be the plan, who knows.

But against Top 4 (Christ even top 6/7) opposition, you need some sort of protection, ability to read and break up play, and someone prepared to do the cuntish work. I think Lucas is ok for that role, I know most of you don't so please don't bother to tell me.

Adams more like the full fat Alonso.

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, against a lot of the opposition in this league I think a Raul / Stevie midfield of two would work wonderfully well. Those two have got enough quality to swamp the majority of opposition. I have no doubt that if Stevie had been available he and Raul would have cut Wolves up in the middle and, with a quality player ahead of them with Torres then we'd have done it in a canter.

Against strong opposition then the answer is different - didn't think I was implying they could do the job against the Chelsea's and mancs etc. I would be comfortable - at this point - to see Lucas behind the two of them. I've long believed that the secret to the success down at OT is due largely to their system of attacking in order to defend. Stevie and Raul would give any defense enough to problems to have them hesitant in surging forward.

I do think we need better than Lucas - at least Lucas in his current rendition - to win the title but that's not the objective just now. Top 4 seems a fair way off and there are plenty of other areas needing work more urgently than Lucas.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43772.msg1260409#msg1260409 date=1295857854]

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, against a lot of the opposition in this league I think a Raul / Stevie midfield of two would work wonderfully well. Those two have got enough quality to swamp the majority of opposition. I have no doubt that if Stevie had been available he and Raul would have cut Wolves up in the middle and, with a quality player ahead of them with Torres then we'd have done it in a canter.

Against strong opposition then the answer is different - didn't think I was implying they could do the job against the Chelsea's and mancs etc. I would be comfortable - at this point - to see Lucas behind the two of them. I've long believed that the secret to the success down at OT is due largely to their system of attacking in order to defend. Stevie and Raul would give any defense enough to problems to have them hesitant in surging forward.

I do think we need better than Lucas - at least Lucas in his current rendition - to win the title but that's not the objective just now. Top 4 seems a fair way off and there are plenty of other areas needing work more urgently than Lucas.
[/quote]

I didn't think I would ever live to read a reasonable, nuanced discussion about Lucas on SCM, but, gladly, I was wrong.

*Cue the knee-jerk crowd*

I keep reading this thread title as raul moates ...

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=43772.msg1260415#msg1260415 date=1295859541]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43772.msg1260409#msg1260409 date=1295857854]

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't think I would ever live to read a reasonable, nuanced discussion about Lucas on SCM, but, gladly, I was wrong.

*Cue the knee-jerk crowd*
[/quote]

This can't be the first time youi're reading a post from The Wizard.

Here's another one.

When we beat man utd 4-1 @ old trafford we had mascherano & Lucas as our 2 central midfielders.

They had the discipline to allow Gerrard and Torres the freedom to tear them a new arsehole, which they obligingly did.

It won't work in everygame, but that's why u have squads and good managers who are tactically aware enough to "tweak" the system (as opposed to playing the same way for 30 years).

I must have missed that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously Dreamy - could you give an answer to this question please?

Ta.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43772.msg1260226#msg1260226 date=1295821418]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=43772.msg1259944#msg1259944 date=1295779584]
I feel like I've missed something. Who has been criticising Meireles... to the point where his inclusion in the team was being questioned?
[/quote]

I asked this question too, and am still awaiting an answer.

I better not hold my breath.
[/quote]

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=43561.msg1250995#msg1250995 date=1294866420]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43561.msg1250993#msg1250993 date=1294866378]
Meireles pulled out of another one there. It's becoming worrying.
[/quote]He CONSTANTLY does it. He's a fucking Pussyole.

[/quote]

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=43561.msg1251042#msg1251042 date=1294867272]
WTF has happened to Ming? Was Hodgson his mentor or something? He's fallen apart since Kenny came in.
[/quote]

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=43561.msg1251043#msg1251043 date=1294867277]
I think I'd rather we improved centre midfield than any other position.
[/quote]

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=43561.msg1251049#msg1251049 date=1294867450]
Stop shooting Raul....Youre shit at it.....stop passing it too....youre shit at it.....Just stop.
[/quote]

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=43561.msg1251062#msg1251062 date=1294867636]
Take off Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. ALL fucking shithouses.

[/quote]

[quote author=Sven link=topic=43561.msg1251078#msg1251078 date=1294867752]
Raul Meireles is a fucking awful player. We should sell him asap.
[/quote]

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=43561.msg1251109#msg1251109 date=1294868087]
Kuyt - average
glenjo - poor defender
jova - poor
lucas - poor
poulsen - poor
meirless - poor

we are just a poor team ...
[/quote]

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=43561.msg1251130#msg1251130 date=1294868340]
so is Meireles just recovering from injury, or actually not all that?
[/quote]

[quote author=Modo link=topic=43591.msg1251402#msg1251402 date=1294871112]
Meireles 4 - What is his role in the team? Is he supposed to control the midfield like Xabi or is he just another passenger like Lucas?
[/quote]

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=43592.msg1251201#msg1251201 date=1294869187]
Get the fuck out of this club asap.

And Meireles, get your fucking finger out. You cunt.
[/quote]

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=43592.msg1251276#msg1251276 date=1294869729]
Reina, Gerrard, Torres, Agger, Kelly.

As for the rest: arsed at the moment.

And we all know Crapsen and Lucarse shouldn't be Liverpool players, and it's been obvious from the start.
[/quote]

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=43592.msg1251281#msg1251281 date=1294869784]
[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=43592.msg1251232#msg1251232 date=1294869386]
Reina, Gerrard, Babel?
[/quote]Oh i forgot Saint Ryan.
Ok 4. Youve gotta keep Torres right? Just give him a team that can actually play well and help him do his ting.
[/quote]

[quote author=robinhood link=topic=43592.msg1251419#msg1251419 date=1294871496]

Meireles and Kuyt and one or two others can stay as squad players
[/quote]

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=43592.msg1251424#msg1251424 date=1294871647]
If you took out everyone who there is genuine worrying question marks over it would look like this

--------------------------REINA------------------------------
Kelly-----------?-?-------------------?-?-----------------?-?-
--------------------------------------------------------------
------------------?-?-------------Gerrard---------------------
?-?-------------------------------------------------------?-?
---------------?-?-----------------Torres--------------------

How fucking shit is that.
Argue with it? You cant.
[/quote]

I can't believe you bothered quoting that mental cunt, Sven.

As for the rest, well this is all match day stuff isn't it? He WAS shit in the Blackpool and United games, so he deserved the flack.

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=43772.msg1261821#msg1261821 date=1295943219]
ONE GAME.
[/quote]

Exactly my point.

Why do some (granted Sven is a manc in disguise) turn so sharply on a player after 1 2 or even 3 poor games.

It was obvious from game 1 Raul is a quality footballer yet after Blackpool not many were saying he was good enough to be in the first team week in week out.

Now everyone is saying he should play every week.

That was the pont and I think the fact it was one game proves it even more.

DB the vast majority of posters on this site have been big fans of Meireles since his introduction, you don't have any great insight and you're not a better judge than most of us - leave it alone now.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=43772.msg1261827#msg1261827 date=1295943328]
I can't believe you bothered quoting that mental cunt, Sven.

As for the rest, well this is all match day stuff isn't it? He WAS shit in the Blackpool and United games, so he deserved the flack.
[/quote]

Ya to be honest hadn't noticed how negative he is until now. How did I ever get pessimist of the year? ;D

He was poor but you would imagine most would say things along the lines of " He's out of position, coming back from injury, just in poor form but obviously has alot about him" than the stuff quoted above.

It seems to happen alot. So I thought I'd bring it up to see if I was the only one to notice 360o turns in 7 days we get here.

Now after the Wolves game he is a world beater and the new Xabi.

Strange.

Anyways I'm to happy to care. I have a smile for the first time in ages in terms of LFC.

Ryan just asked for examples twice so I gave them.

[quote author=Pasim link=topic=43772.msg1261841#msg1261841 date=1295944111]
DB the vast majority of posters on this site have been big fans of Meireles since his introduction, you don't have any great insight and you're not a better judge than most of us - leave it alone now.
[/quote]

I never once said I was a better judge, I just noted that I find strange how yo yo our threads can be on here.

Anyways I'll leave it there.

I'm just delighted to have another pass and move footballer in the team alongside Gerrard in the middle of the park.

Pat; please don't take this the wrong way, but if you thought out your posts more often before you posted them it would save you a lot of grief.

I should know, MS Paint has been the death of me.

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=43772.msg1261836#msg1261836 date=1295943851]
[quote author=Paddy link=topic=43772.msg1261821#msg1261821 date=1295943219]
ONE GAME.
[/quote]

Exactly my point.

Why do some (granted Sven is a manc in disguise) turn so sharply on a player after 1 2 or even 3 poor games.

It was obvious from game 1 Raul is a quality footballer yet after Blackpool not many were saying he was good enough to be in the first team week in week out.

Now everyone is saying he should play every week.

That was the pont and I think the fact it was one game proves it even more.
[/quote]

I just don't agree with your assessment of what most people thought, nor do I think most of the quotes you've cited really prove it, in context.

Pat doing loads of site searching and other research to try and vainly prove the point you made was valid, when it clearly wasn't, really is quite worrying. Especially when the only piece of tangible evidence you came up with is Sven.

Go and have a lie down

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=43772.msg1261842#msg1261842 date=1295944123]
He was poor but you would imagine most would say things along the lines of " He's out of position, coming back from injury, just in poor form but obviously has alot about him" than the stuff quoted above.

[/quote]

In the context of the match day thread though, people get wound up based on how the game is going. I'm sure after the match you find people being more reasonable about performances by players who normally play well.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=43772.msg1261909#msg1261909 date=1295948739]
Pat doing loads of site searching and other research to try and vainly prove the point you made was valid, when it clearly wasn't, really is quite worrying. Especially when the only piece of tangible evidence you came up with is Sven.

Go and have a lie down
[/quote]

My point was that one week Raul isn't a first choice 11 for alot, the next he's a world beater in the making.

I was asked for proof of this so I provided it. I'm lying down now if that helps ;D

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=43772.msg1261914#msg1261914 date=1295949063]

Go and have a lie down
[/quote]

My point was that one week Raul isn't a first choice 11 for alot, the next he's a world beater in the making.

I was asked for proof of this so I provided it. I'm lying down now if that helps ;D
[/quote]

It's not 'proof' though. Apart from radio rental Sven.

padded20room5.jpg

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=43772.msg1261914#msg1261914 date=1295949063]

Go and have a lie down
[/quote]

[/quote]He is and has been since he signed a first choice CM for every single person on this site.
Additionally during the conversation about him being a pussyole myself and at least two other posters mentioned his injury as a possible reason for him not going in whole heartedly.
And the comments about his shooting were A)Tongue in cheek B)Regarding that one game C)That thing you do that you say something in the hope the player drops a fucking screamer.
You made a point that people had not rated him and you were wrong.
Let it go and move on.

Someone change the title of this thread to "Raul shows Sven hasn't got a clue".

[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=43772.msg1261945#msg1261945 date=1295951299]
[/quote]

Done.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=43772.msg1261951#msg1261951 date=1295951542]
[quote author=Mamma Mia link=topic=43772.msg1261945#msg1261945 date=1295951299]
[/quote]

Done.
[/quote]
The thread is starting to make sense now the title has been changed.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=43772.msg1261917#msg1261917 date=1295949240]

Go and have a lie down
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not 'proof' though. Apart from radio rental Sven.

padded20room5.jpg

[/quote]

I know you have to be batshit crazy to be in that room but it does look really comfy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom