• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roberto Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
Is going up and up in my estimations.

What a top gent.

I hope he has a really long and succesful career.

Fair play to him and all, but the Villa job looks like it's going to be a nightmare for whoever takes it on.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=45695.msg1347212#msg1347212 date=1307730445]
Turned down Villa I take it?
[/quote]He did.
Not only did he turn them down, but he drove down there to say that he couldnt leave Wigan but to thank them for the interest.
Pure class guy.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45695.msg1347215#msg1347215 date=1307730663]
Fair play to him and all, but the Villa job looks like it's going to be a nightmare for whoever takes it on.
[/quote]Its a huge step up from Wigan.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=45695.msg1347212#msg1347212 date=1307730445]
Turned down Villa I take it?
[/quote]

Yes, and the opportunity of doubling his wages.

Easy thing for him would have been to take the higher profile job, take the money and run.
But fair play to him, he's shown a great deal of loyalty and class. Respect.

It was also stated that instead of demanding money for transfers in his talks with DW, he asked if he'd buy the training ground for them so that they could improve it(which DW agreed to). Sort of shows that Martinez really does have the long term best interests of Wigan at heart

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45695.msg1347223#msg1347223 date=1307731032]
It was also stated that instead of demanding money for transfers in his talks with DW, he asked if he'd buy the training ground for them so that they could improve it(which DW agreed to). Sort of shows that Martinez really does have the long term best interests of Wigan at heart
[/quote]Whelan has also given him a new 3 year deal.

Im fucking made up with all this. Brilliant brilliant stuff.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=45695.msg1347217#msg1347217 date=1307730712]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45695.msg1347215#msg1347215 date=1307730663]
[/quote]Its a huge step up from Wigan.
[/quote]

Yeah for sure, but it's still a shite job to take on considering the state Villa are in.

[quote author=the count link=topic=45695.msg1347232#msg1347232 date=1307731583]
Is this because he wears a V neck jumper?
[/quote]Do you know what, theres a bit of that in it.

I like Martinez as well. He seems quite genuine.

He's only 37 at the moment so it's not altogether a bad idea to stick it out at a club that will show some faith in you.

He seems to be highly rated within the game, so he's got plenty of time to take the next step up.

I think Whelan is a pretty decent sort of old fashioned geezer to be honest.
I am pleased Martinez did what he did, top guy - Villa is a fairly shit mid table club that think they are better than they are . A bit like the Midlands version of Newcastle.
Wigan is Wigan and nobody thinks different.
Now that Fat Head has gone there is not the same United fawning.

regards

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=45695.msg1347224#msg1347224 date=1307731130]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45695.msg1347223#msg1347223 date=1307731032]
[/quote]Whelan has also given him a new 3 year deal.

Im fucking made up with all this. Brilliant brilliant stuff.
[/quote]

Hope he backs him with some cash now. The league and football in general could do with more guys like Martinez.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=45695.msg1347257#msg1347257 date=1307734348]
I think Whelan is a pretty decent sort of old fashioned geezer to be honest.
I am pleased Martinez did what he did, top guy - Villa is a fairly shit mid table club that think they are better than they are . A bit like the Midlands version of Newcastle.
Wigan is Wigan and nobody thinks different.
Now that Fat Head has gone there is not the same United fawning.

regards
[/quote]

This

I don't like Wigan much as a club, but he seems an alright guy.

The fact that he stands out so much in comparison says more about the rest of them though.

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez has been shortlisted as a possible candidate to replace Kenny Dalglish at Anfield.

The 38-year-old's name has been fed to the media to try and gauge a response from supporters as FSG consider making further changes at the club following a disastrous season.

Other names under consideration - should FSG opt to pull the trigger - include former Reds boss Rafa Benitez and sacked Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Sources close to the new regime say there is a lot of respect there for Benitez from John Henry and Tom Werner who can see that he overachieved during a difficult period in the club's history due to the ownership turmoil at the time. However, they are cautious about appointing another former manager.

Villas-Boas was their preferred candidate to take over from Roy Hodgson but fan power too soon into just taking over the Reds resulted in FSG giving Dalglish a dream chance.

Martinez, although fairly inexperienced, is tipped to go on to bigger and better things. Ironically former boss Rafa Benitez is a fan of the Wigan boss and he's gone on record many times in the past stating that he would be a top manager one day.

Although there are other candidates, Martinez - who was also linked with us when Hodgson left the club - Benitez and Villas-Boas are currently the top 3 candidates.

FSG are yet to decide whether to make changes but as we've been maintaining for a long time, Dalglish is certainly not as safe as many believe. He could though still be given more time. Much depends on what happens this coming week in relation to the Director of Football position. An outcome on that front is imminent. Former Barcelona chief Txiki Bergistrain is wanted for that role. Liverpool executives are planning jolly to Spain this week, although there's no proof that the trip is connected.

We've been trying to hold off until today's game is out of the way and we also don't want to be disrespectful to the current manager. However, with the obvious feeding of Martinez's name to the media yesterday, we've had to touch on the matter for you today.

No rewards for guessing where this is quoted from. :p

I like Martinez and AVB so fair enough

Shit on kenny though if legit

ROBERTO MARTINEZ has become the most wanted manager in the country.

The Wigan boss has again worked a miracle in keeping the smallest club in the Premier League in the top flight – an achievement which has impressed some big-name clubs.

Martinez, 38, is being strongly linked with Liverpool and also wanted by West Brom to succeed England-bound Roy Hodgson, while Aston Villa are again eyeing him – although Alex McLeish is confident his job there is safe.

The Liverpool link is the strongest, although Kop boss Kenny Dalglish believes he will still be in charge next season too.

There has been blood-letting, though, at Anfield recently with the exits of Director of Football Damien Comolli and communications chief Ian Cotton.

Liverpool’s American owners have shown a ruthless streak and can’t have been happy with the club’s League form.

But on the other hand, Liverpool legend Dalglish has led the club to a Carling Cup triumph, a return to Europe and the FA Cup Final.

What is clear is that Martinez is very much on the radar of a number of clubs – both as a short term and long-term target.

One of those is Spurs but Harry Redknapp’s position will be secure if Champions League qualification is confirmed today.

If Martinez comes to Anfield, I would be like a dog with two dicks. It could be the best thing that has happened to LFC since the Premier League was formed in 1992. Kenny would most likely be moved to Director of Football which I am sure many of us suspected was going to happen when Comolli was fired.

If Martinez comes to Anfield, I would be like a dog with two dicks. It could be the best thing that has happened to LFC since the Premier League was formed in 1992. Kenny would most likely be moved to Director of Football which I am sure many of us suspected was going to happen when Comolli was fired.
It seems to me most of the older scousers here want a change from Kenny asap. Am I right?

- Should have no problem working with Segura and Borrell.

- If John Achterberg leaves as rumoured, will be able to bring with him goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara whom he brought to Swansea in 2007 and subsequently followed him to Wigan.

- Current contract apparently expired at end of the season, leaving no compensation necessary.

Thinking too much? :oops:

I think Liverpool should be looking at someone who has won a league or come damn close rather than someone who has been flirting with relegation, regardless how pretty Wigan's football has been at times.

I think Liverpool should be looking at someone who has won a league or come damn close rather than someone who has been flirting with relegation, regardless how pretty Wigan's football has been at times.

I tend to agree. An amazing run of form has saved Wigan from relegation this season. You really don't want to be relying on beating the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal to retain your Premiership status each year. He's done brilliantly to turn it around, but they've been shambolic defensively for the vast majority of his time there. I also worry that he is a bit too "nice", and would struggle with some of the bigger personalities here. He's got a fair bit more to prove for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom