• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roberto Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't disagree with you mate but

1. i don't think we are ready challenge for the title at the moment so someone with that sort of managerial experience might not necessarily fit in.

2. yeah, it's a bit 'overused' but AVB is an example of how a title winning coach might not necessarily work. To state another example, Frank Rijkaard is a title winning coach whom I wouldn't be interested in. then, there's the issue about availability too. then there's Roberto di Matteo showing what having the right resources can do for a manager, albeit his lack of experience.

3. shown his ability to lay foundations - don't think Swansea's success/achievements (over pass few seasons) and Wigan's ability to withstand the relegation pressure and challenge, esp. this season, having been in the bottom 3 for most part of the season, is pure coincidence.

4. coaches, like lower league players need to be given a chance to be able to prove themselves. Benitez moved to Valencia from Segunda Division Tenerife (having earned promotion from finishing 3rd), Unai Emery moved from relegation battlers Almeria (having overachieved with them) to Valencia too. Jurgen Klopp arrived at Dortmund having left Mainz after failure to guide them back into top flight (having gone through both promotion and relegation with them). His winning percentage of 40% with Mainz is akin to the winning percentage of Roy Hodgson's time with Fulham, us and WBA

Not advocating for Martinez but just keeping an open mind on him as an option. :)

Kenny4: Wouldn't want to see any of those come TBH, even if it were time to replace Kenny, which I don't think it is yet. Rafa - never go back. Martinez - decent guy, good coach and picker of players BUT the way he backed down when he originally stood up for Rafa over the spat with Ferguson and the LMA then had a pop at him didn't impress me. AVB - if he couldn't hack the Chelsea job despite Abramovich's backing he'll not be the man for the task at Liverpool.

However, the Martinez link is also mentioned in other papers this morning appaz. No idea whether they're all just copying each other or whether there's anything in it.

Martinez seems a really decent and likeable man. However, apart from this recent burst of great form he's mainly presided over the kind of performances that would have him destroyed on here. It's all going a bit surreal.

Not often I disagree with The Sheik, but I think Martinez has done well keeping the smallest club in the league up and finding some decent players on route that get sold off to make ends meet.
They all have to start somewhere and all our experienced managers over the last year's have not exactly smashed it, he is an honest decent chap that does well with the press, although I said that about Woy.
I would be quite happy with that.
Regards

Macca: I don't think he's the man for us, but that summary in your post may be slightly unfair. He's managed two Premiership minnows, with less in the way of resources than most of their competitors, and they've ended up surviving.

Vlad: Nor, I'm afraid, do I reckon the fact that more experienced managers haven't quite made things work means Martinez would be the man for Liverpool. I doubt his toughness and I'd want to see him tried at a higher level before I'd consider going in for him.

I don't think he's the man for us, but that may be slightly unfair, macca. He's managed two Premiership minnows with less in the way of rsources than most of their competitors, and they've ended up surviving.

Oh yes, I agree, but that's not what normally makes fans want the manager for their club. Hodgson has kept clubs up on modest resources and everyone sneered at that being used by the press as a good enough reason for him to manage us. Martinez likes to play the right way, but he's been tactically naive for much of his time in the Premiership. He'd get a brief honeymoon here and then be crucified by the most of the people who wanted him - as usual.

It seems to me most of the older scousers here want a change from Kenny asap. Am I right?

No. We're not all of one mind on the issue but I certainly don't want Kenny gone yet, and I don't think I'm alone in that among us grizzlies.

No. We're not all of one mind on the issue but I certainly don't want Kenny gone yet, and I don't think I'm alone in that among us grizzlies.
Ah right good to know some old ginger are still in favor of some stability and time for Kenny to prove himself

If. IF Kenny is removed, there is no one id want more than Martinez. He wears a suit like a Cerruti model.

What we need us someone to instill a footballing philosophy into the club that Tge players both fit into and buy into. It's about manager fit. Roy just didn't and at the end of Rafa's reign you could see the players didn't trust the system. It almost feels that way with Kenny sometimes.

So I don't care what a manager has or hasn't won - because it will mean jack shit if he can't get players buying in to his philosophy. That's what makes that cunt Mourinho so successful wherever be goes - he gets teams playing his way and the players trust him.

I don't know if Martinez is that man - but it's what we need.

I think Liverpool should be looking at someone who has won a league or come damn close rather than someone who has been flirting with relegation, regardless how pretty Wigan's football has been at times.

Given that there's a massive correlation between the size of the wage bill and where you finish in the league, you're basically saying of Premiership managers you only want someone who has managed Arsenal, United, Chelsea or City. And no matter how good a job someone does at a club that will never have a chance of challenging for the title you don't want them.

Of those we can't have Wenger or Ferguson. Mancini could be avaliable in the summer. I don't know if AVB fulfills your criteria, but Avram Grant is definitely obtainable.

Avram Grant for Liverpool !

Given that there's a massive correlation between the size of the wage bill and where you finish in the league, you're basically saying of Premiership managers you only want someone who has managed Arsenal, United, Chelsea or City. And no matter how good a job someone does at a club that will never have a chance of challenging for the title you don't want them.

Of those we can't have Wenger or Ferguson. Mancini could be avaliable in the summer. I don't know if AVB fulfills your criteria, but Avram Grant is definitely obtainable.

Oh, I didn't realise we could only recruit from English clubs.

I want Klopp. He'd be my first choice. Martinez and AVB are good options aswell.

Watched Dortmund destroy Bayern yesterday. Impressed.

How far our expectations have fallen. Roberto Martinez. Come on lads...have I been whooshed?

Avram is currently with Partizan Belgrade. I believe he'll be available by the end of this season.

Martinez and Wigan finished 9 points behind us. And their team cost a total of fuck all. Cant do much worse if he's hired.

Martinez and Wigan finished 9 points behind us. And their team cost a total of fuck all. Cant do much worse if he's hired.

weren't some people sayin the same about hodgson? miracles with small clubs therefore for a big club...

with big club comes big expectations (isn't that spidey's moto?)

I'd like to think there is a difference between Martinez and Hodgson...

That said, its a big big step up managing Liverpool.

weren't some people sayin the same about hodgson? miracles with small clubs therefore for a big club...

with big club comes big expectations (isn't that spidey's moto?)
Yes but hodgepodge is at the arse end of his career having done fuck all for 30 years and managed a plethora of shit teams all across Europe.
Martinez is an up and coming manager who started the great work at Swansea and has since done an amazing job with Wigan given they sell all their best players (Nzogbia, Valencia) and have money to spend. Hes 38 and plays beautiful football and looks swank as fuck on the touchline.
Hodge podge. Well....hes just a pathetic twat really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom