• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roma vs Liverpool Match Thread CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL 2nd Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
g1EwgLg.jpg

Oh I'm sorry we cheated in the final did we?

I can't actually believe this coming from you when you go apeshit over some negative comments regarding the players.

I suspect this morning, in a sober moment, more people will agree with me about yesterday's performance. I'm thrilled we got through but that should never have been so difficult. As for 2005, I don't care if I'm in a minority, as someone who's seen the great sides win the trophy, much of that game felt humiliating and I just cannot stand the ludicrous decade (and more) of celebrations that followed it. I want us to win this year but it would be great if we won in such a way that I'd want to watch the whole match again.

I suspect this morning, in a sober moment, more people will agree with me about yesterday's performance. I'm thrilled we got through but that should never have been so difficult. As for 2005, I don't care if I'm in a minority, as someone who's seen the great sides win the trophy, much of that game felt humiliating and I just cannot stand the ludicrous decade (and more) of celebrations that followed it. I want us to win this year but it would be great if we won in such a way that I'd want to watch the whole match again.

I would like to hear your opinion as to why (i.e. I'm not making fun, just honestly curious).

Most of us didn't get the chance to watch the great sides week in week out. We grew up watching up a team with some calamitous players managing to hustle and fight their way to the Champions League final. Yeah we were humiliated for the first half but we didn't give up and managed to break past a top team full of world class players.
It's celebrated for that reason, because it was such a sporting feat, because we didn't give up... you know that whole walk through a storm, hold your head up high thing.

Yeah most of us want us to take a lead in the first ten minutes and walk through the game scoring at will with a brick wall defense but I'd happily take a scrappy 1-0 again.

I'll always take a scrappy 1-0 win, I'll always take the luckiest, most outrageously undeserved win. But just don't expect me to romanticise it, clap Dave Kirby's smug-faced doggerel about it, watch the play, the DVD or the endless replays of it.
Theres a gulf between celebrating it and denigrating it Macca.
Surely thats for opposition fans to do.

I'll always take a scrappy 1-0 win, I'll always take the luckiest, most outrageously undeserved win. But just don't expect me to romanticise it, clap Dave Kirby's smug-faced doggerel about it, watch the play, the DVD or the endless replays of it.

I think that's the pull for so many people as fans it's a club that does the romanticising well, just watch that promo for the club kit. Everything about the club is about that, from the 'This is Anfield' sign to the Kop, boot room whatever. That's what makes the '05 win amazing cos it's exactly the kind of sporting feat that needs to be romantacised.
But fair enough, each to their own.

Of course we could have handled last night better, I don't think anyone is denying that but to dismiss 05 is disgusting behaviour for a lifelong fan.

You sound like an entitled old fart with a superiority complex.

We played well in the group, deserved to get out of the group, not to mention needing and scoring 3 goals in our last game.

Then we deserved to go in each of the knockout games.

Notably the home games against Juve and Chelsea were excellent.

Yes in the final we got lucky but fuck me any set of players who do what they did in that second half and extra time deserve all the plaudits they get.

It's not like we fluked a jammy goal to win 1-0 after getting battered for 90.

We scored fucking 3, against a superb defence including the best left back of all time.

Two of the goals were world class and the move that led to the peno was excellant.

That comeback has been an example used the world over since when drumming into players to never give up, never give and always keep fighting.

The fact you have such contempt for it just makes me think you actually don't get football at all.

And that's not even taking into account your a Liverpool fan.

I mean WTF.

So if Madrid rape us in the final and we win because of dodgy refereeing decisions you won't be happy?

Don't forget we had to win our last group game of an easy group to progress, got a shite Porto team,a shite Roma team and an English team we have had a hoodoo over in the last few years.

If we couldn't celebrate 05 you've fuck all right to celebrate this or to ever complain about how any other fan talks about the club again.

Of course we could have handled last night better, I don't think anyone is denying that but to dismiss 05 is disgusting behaviour for a lifelong fan.

You sound like an entitled old fart with a superiority complex.

We played well in the group, deserved to get out of the group, not to mention needing and scoring 3 goals in our last game.

Then we deserved to go in each of the knockout games.

Notably the home games against Juve and Chelsea were excellent.

Yes in the final we got lucky but fuck me any set of players who do what they did in that second half and extra time deserve all the plaudits they get.

It's not like we fluked a jammy goal to win 1-0 after getting battered for 90.

We scored fucking 3, against a superb defence including the best left back of all time.

Two of the goals were world class and the move that led to the peno was excellant.

That comeback has been an example used the world over since when drumming into players to never give up, never give and always keep fighting.

The fact you have such contempt for it just makes me think you actually don't get football at all.

And that's not even taking into account your a Liverpool fan.

I mean WTF.

So if Madrid rape us in the final and we win because of dodgy refereeing decisions you won't be happy?

Don't forget we had to win our last group game of an easy group to progress, got a shite Porto team,a shite Roma team and an English team we have had a hoodoo over in the last few years.

If we couldn't celebrate 05 you've fuck all right to celebrate this or to ever complain about how any other fan talks about the club again.

Woah, Dreamy on the warpath!

I'll always take a scrappy 1-0 win, I'll always take the luckiest, most outrageously undeserved win.

Well that's something at least.

Although the fact what we did have never been done before or since in the biggest final in club football makes it something people will romantise forever and rightly so imo.

We don't do it claiming we were the greatest.

We are all well aware of that teams shortcomings which made the triumph all the more amazing.

You need to look up the definition of denigration. Don't confuse realism with cynicism. If a victory was lucky, acknowledging it is not denigrating it, and if someone else thinks it wasn't lucky, me thinking otherwise is not really that relevant. Look, stop responding to my opinion and I won't respond and this will all go away. I hate the seemingly never-ending chatter and backslapping about 2005, others don't - great, vive la difference. We all want us to win in whatever way we can this year - great.
Macca you described it as disgusting.....a joke.....
Please dont patronise me.

Macca is a Liverpool supporter hipster.

"I was a fan before we became flukey bastards"

As for 2005, I don't care if I'm in a minority, as someone who's seen the great sides win the trophy, much of that game felt humiliating and I just cannot stand the ludicrous decade (and more) of celebrations that followed it.

I tend to agree with you. It was a fantastic win on the night and fueled our international support for subsequent seasons. But for me, the downside was that the kudos made Benitez untouchable, and led to him staying in charge for a few years during which, in my opinion, the club went backwards.

Theres a gulf between celebrating it and denigrating it Macca.
Surely thats for opposition fans to do.

You need to look up the definition of denigration. Don't confuse realism with cynicism. If a victory was lucky, acknowledging it is not denigrating it, and if someone else thinks it wasn't lucky, me thinking otherwise is not really that relevant. Look, stop responding to my opinion and I won't respond and this will all go away. I hate the seemingly never-ending chatter and backslapping about 2005, others don't - great, vive la difference. We all want us to win in whatever way we can this year - great.

Woah, Dreamy on the warpath!

It honestly sounds like something you would read redcafe, bitter jealous fans complaining about how everyone goes on about the flukey bin dippers from 05.

I'm still shocked, at least Macca has acknowledged he's happy we won just doesn't like celebrating it.

Mind you he didn't say that last night.

Exterminated or something was what he said.

Fuck me.

Macca you described it as disgusting.....a joke.....
Please dont patronise me.

You have people like Dreamy absolutely outraged that I don't share his opinion about games, and feel entitled to spout insults as a consequence. That's the only intolerance on show here. People appalled that someone actually personally doesn't think certain performances were good or great. Who the hell cares? I love every victory, but I don't love every performance, and I don't feel obliged to conflate the latter with the former. Deal with it, ignore it, I really could not give a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom