• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sakho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that an inherent risk with wingbacks?
To have them stroll back in defense? If that's what you're asking then my answer is no.

If it had been a slide ball for a one on one Henderson would have been busting a gut to get there. In contrast he let Carzola run away from him. Purely attitude thing IMO - which is what defense comes down to in pretty much every sport.

I think one of the reasons Rodgers has Henderson in that position is because of his great engine. That he didn't make any real effort was pretty average to say the least.

To have them stroll back in defense? If that's what you're asking then my answer is no.

If it had been a slide ball for a one on one Henderson would have been busting a gut to get there. In contrast he let Carzola run away from him. Purely attitude thing IMO - which is what defense comes down to in pretty much every sport.

I think one of the reasons Rodgers has Henderson in that position is because of his great engine. That he didn't make any real effort was pretty average to say the least.

I must admit that I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about when I replied. I just meant that playing with wing backs generally speaking carries the risk of being caught with players out of position, as you know.

So I watched the clip of their goal again and I think it is the main point rather than Henderson's perceived lack of effort or attitude issues. It all stemmed from his starting position and for me it's pretty questionable as to whether he'd have been able to do anything had he ran back at full pelt anyways. He clearly figured the other guys would have to deal with it on that occasion - something that happens dozens of times in a game - so it feels a little bit harsh to castigate him.

I think any time an opponent with the ball is a few yards ahead of you, finishes about a dozen ahead of you and plays a cut back to set up the goal then you're ready to be castigated.

I bet he feels it too, every time they analyze the match this week.

I am not agreeing, at all, with these excuses for Skrtel for both of the Arsenal goals. System, Henderson, Gerrard ..bollocks. We can certainly improve all around but that has nothing to do with Skrtel displaying his usual ball watching skills - just replay the goals and watch his eyes. He doesn't even seem to know Debuchy is behind him FFS (and had he known this and stepped up a yard, to join his team-mates, then Debuchy would have been offside) and never once even glances at Giroud (where again moving forward not back 1-2 yds he could easily have cut out that pass) ... it's as if he's mesmerised by the ball and has a one track mind.

All this talk of which defender is to blame, or even midfielder for not tracking back, is daft.

It's as simple as a complete failure of coaching combined with the obvious flaws of playing with wingbacks.

The centre backs never seem to know where they should be during attacks. That's clearly a failure of coaching. Lovren had no issues like this last season, Skrtel has always been at the least competent regards positioning too. To suggest they're both suddenly ignoring the advice from training is bizarre.

All this talk of which defender is to blame, or even midfielder for not tracking back, is daft.

It's as simple as a complete failure of coaching combined with the obvious flaws of playing with wingbacks.

The centre backs never seem to know where they should be during attacks. That's clearly a failure of coaching. Lovren had no issues like this last season, Skrtel has always been at the least competent regards positioning too. To suggest they're both suddenly ignoring the advice from training is bizarre.
Thats fair, I do still think Skrtel should have done better, but without doubt there is an issue with the coaching.

Who coached Skrtel to not jump when defending a high ball in the box?

He did jump, but the angle meant he was caught under the ball, someone should have dealt with the flick on.. but like every goal, it was a result of collective errors. He wins enough headers in and around our box, he's about the only one who does.

Would also be nice to have a goalkeeper that comes for those high balls into the box.

Sakho is nothing like Traore. Not even close.

He did jump, but the angle meant he was caught under the ball, someone should have dealt with the flick on.. but like every goal, it was a result of collective errors. He wins enough headers in and around our box, he's about the only one who does.

He makes some great tackles, some great headers, often fantastically jostles strikers away from goal. However he also completely turns off far far too often, and often leaves himself completely exposed during these moments. I think someone has said it on here before, he's a reactionary defender, he never seems to read the game well and always seems a step behind the attackers.

He makes some great tackles, some great headers, often fantastically jostles strikers away from goal. However he also completely turns off far far too often, and often leaves himself completely exposed during these moments. I think someone has said it on here before, he's a reactionary defender, he never seems to read the game well and always seems a step behind the attackers.

He's not a reactionary defender, he sweeps sometimes and relies on his pace, but he reads the game pretty well too when balls are played from deep, he's the only one of our backline who attacks the ball in the air when played from deep, and he's the first to rush wide to put the ball out or slide in on a defender. It's easy to look a good composed defender when you stand there waiting for the play to come to you and never put yourself in the firing line to make a mistake, or be on the end of an unfortunate deflection, have a look at Carragher and amount of interceptions he used to make and how involved in our defensive play he would be.

His positional sense is awful though and he has adapted this wrestling/shirt pulling issue that sometimes sees him focus more on the player than on the ball.

Still, our best CB these days when it comes to attacking the ball.

His positional sense is awful though and he has adapted this wrestling/shirt pulling issue that sometimes sees him focus more on the player than on the ball.

Still, our best CB these days when it comes to attacking the ball.

How's his positional sense "awful"? When we're defending setpieces, our positional sense as a team is awful, but from open play, he generally holds his position well. He gets dragged out sometimes, but that's what comes from covering for Glen fucking Johnson all these years.

How's his positional sense "awful"? When we're defending setpieces, our positional sense as a team is awful, but from open play, he generally holds his position well. He gets dragged out sometimes, but that's what comes from covering for Glen fucking Johnson all these years.

The best example is the Giroud goal. He also has no clue when to push out and when to hold the line.
Could be down to coaching obviously.

The best example is the Giroud goal. He also has no clue when to push out and when to hold the line.
Could be down to coaching obviously.

I don't even think that's positional. It's a basic ball watching stuff. Schoolboy stuff

To an extent.

His point is valid, he just explains it badly and Neville ends up exposing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom