• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sal-ittihad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole debate on how to replace Salahs 30 goals with someone else while spreading the goal burden around seems to be getting solved Salah himself. Speed merchant 30+ goals greedy Salah is morphing into Slow assist king Salah in front of our very eyes.
I still maintain he could easily contribute for us as a first choice for the next 5-6 years.

The whole debate on how to replace Salahs 30 goals with someone else while spreading the goal burden around seems to be getting solved Salah himself. Speed merchant 30+ goals greedy Salah is morphing into Slow assist king Salah in front of our very eyes.
I still maintain he could easily contribute for us as a first choice for the next 5-6 years.

I don't think it's morphing.
The speed issue has been highlighted since last year (if not longer) - and people who do so are being ridiculed (including by you ironically!) ... It's odd, considering no one is taking away from his status as a club legend ...

Emerson was basically man marking Mo on Sunday - and he handled it fine (don't think Mo skinned him once on the right flank). I think even Paqueta (quite a player this lad) had the best of him when Salah tried to run past him ...
I think this has become a blessing for Salah though - because he's not able to pass players with much ease anymore, he's looking for those killer passes. For a player who seems like an inconsistent passer at best, he's final ball is fucking unreal more often than not ... so I agree with you - his assists will climb imo as he looks to set up more and more players ... and though his goal scoring exploits will suffer b/c of it, I think the overall number (G+A) will still remain high ...

Last edited:

Ok, so you finally admit he's declining. His pace is dwindling, but he still has easily enough and the strength to use the space made by other runners to take up deeper positions. When he's slower still, players will just get even closer to him and that'll be that. He's not some silky technical cerebral entity.

He'll be gone anyway, but if he were to still be here in a couple years and we couldn't find someone better than him by then, then we're fucked.

Mane did a great job playing in a totally different role in his last season. It didn't portend a transformation into some indian summer. It just meant a legend was on his way. If Salah is a bridge to a new team, that's great.

Salah is more comparable to Harry Kane than to Mane IMO - he is a type of records driven character who is apparently able to consciously transform their game and find new ways to be effective even during physical decline. A winger scoring 30 goals a season is an anomaly, we probably won’t see it anymore from Salah or anyone else for some time - but he can still be world-class if he keeps assisting at a pace of roughly 1 per game while chipping in with goals. In short, I don’t see the evidence to say that he is in an overall decline like Mane was.

Is anyone really questioning the notion that a top player won’t decline into their 30s? I think some people including myself questioned some of the suggestions behind the nature of the decline and ultimately the impact on us on here.

Speed merchants do typically struggle to find a way to reposition themselves once that pace goes but Salah’s mind is quick and seems to be able transitioning himself to an assist creating whom also puts a shift in defensively.

Salah is more comparable to Harry Kane than to Mane IMO - he is a type of records driven character who is apparently able to consciously transform their game and find new ways to be effective even during physical decline. A winger scoring 30 goals a season is an anomaly, we probably won’t see it anymore from Salah or anyone else for some time - but he can still be world-class if he keeps assisting at a pace of roughly 1 per game while chipping in with goals. In short, I don’t see the evidence to say that he is in an overall decline like Mane was.

Salah isn't a winger, and he didn't score those 30 goals a season as a winger. Most of his goals were scored with him being the furthest forward attacker we had, with the least defensive responsibilities.

He's definitely anomalous, for all sorts of reasons, but that isn't one of them.

Salah isn't a winger, and he didn't score those 30 goals a season as a winger. Most of his goals were scored with him being the furthest forward attacker we had, with the least defensive responsibilities.

He's definitely anomalous, for all sorts of reasons, but that isn't one of them.

He is playing as more of a winger, was referring to him now and maybe more as I see him now. To me he has always been a hybrid winger, similar to especially early days Henry and Ronaldo in his prime. He starts on the right wing, rest is fluid whether right sided forward or right winger.
Not sure about how his goals but all I care about is he plays on right side of attack and is typically up there leading in goals and assists.

Any player heading in his 30s would be expected to decline in some way, surely that’s nothing new?
The key is, Salah’s current value to the team.

Last edited:
Ok, so you finally admit he's declining. His pace is dwindling, but he still has easily enough and the strength to use the space made by other runners to take up deeper positions. When he's slower still, players will just get even closer to him and that'll be that. He's not some silky technical cerebral entity.

He'll be gone anyway, but if he were to still be here in a couple years and we couldn't find someone better than him by then, then we're fucked.

Mane did a great job playing in a totally different role in his last season. It didn't portend a transformation into some indian summer. It just meant a legend was on his way. If Salah is a bridge to a new team, that's great.
Define declining?

"Declining" is when a player goes from being "world class" to merely being "generational". Or is it the other way round?

Unrelated maybe, but I just realised five of the players who started the CL final against Spurs are playing in the Saudi league.
It's madness...

Fabs
Gini
Hendo
Mane
Firmino

Only one missing and they've got our midfield and attack.

Unrelated maybe, but I just realised five of the players who started the CL final against Spurs are playing in the Saudi league.
It's madness...

Fabs
Gini
Hendo
Mane
Firmino

Only one missing and they've got our midfield and attack.

I wonder if they got the gang back together on a single team if they'd make the Asian CL final.

Another potential handy replacement - Nico Gonzalez.

Just watched Fiorentina first half and the header he scored was beautiful.....on fire the last 18 months or so.

Quick, skillful, has an eye for goal. Brentford almost signed him for £35m in summer but I think he's a level above them.

Another potential handy replacement - Nico Gonzalez.

Just watched Fiorentina first half and the header he scored was beautiful.....on fire the last 18 months or so.

Quick, skillful, has an eye for goal. Brentford almost signed him for £35m in summer but I think he's a level above them.
He isn't lifting any tree's anywhere is he?

F8UYnb4WMAAq8Ko

That stat about scoring or assisting 41% of our goals is incredible.

It would be incredible to do that in a small midtable team like Spurs or West Ham but to do it in Klopp's Liverpool is... beyond words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom