• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So Bolton.... (match thread FA Cup 4th round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry don't agree FFF. Someone's failing (or in this case a team) doesn't mean that their opponent deserves anything by default .... it just so happens they escaped and get a replay. I find it extremely frustrating when commentators suggest a team deserved their win, or draw, when quite clearly they were inferior however Lady Luck intervened and events went their way.

There were ties in the EC when our fans said the same thing .. we maybe didn't deserve to win the tie but .. hey ho and on we go !

Of course it does, you've got to consider the respective talent of both sides and what they set out to do. We set ourselves up as very attacking, with a talented front three. They set themselves up to compress the space around their defense and to frustrate us. Who's gameplan worked? Stats are bollocks, we didn't open them up as such, we were left frustrated by a tactical setup that worked.

Of course they deserve the draw. By that reckoning, you may aswell say Cambridge didn't deserve theirs, because possession percentages and the respective teamsheets say so.

Their idea was to either get a draw and drag us back to their place, or to nick a goal. They got way they came for, regardless of whether they showed attacking ambition.

As much as I there's not much to disagree with rationally about your post Mark, footy is an emotive game hence we all want to be invested in a club that entertains and excites.

I can't stand clubs that go out for 90 mins intending not-to-lose rather than win a game, effective or not. I don't think they 'deserve' the draw as much as the team that actually visibly intended to score and took the necessary risks to do so.

They didn't deserve a draw. They earned it. I have no problem with a team being well drilled and shutting out the opposition

As much as I there's not much to disagree with rationally about your post Mark, footy is an emotive game hence we all want to be invested in a club that entertains and excites.

I can't stand clubs that go out for 90 mins intending not-to-lose rather than win a game, effective or not. I don't think they 'deserve' the draw as much as the team that actually visibly intended to score and took the necessary risks to do so.

Neither can I mate, but people seem to be forgetting they were the underdog, needs must and all that.

I thought it was a good performance with many encouraging signs (Markovic, Can etc) I don't really like focusing on negatives but Sakho really was a worry. He might be able to attack the ball with gusto in the air but on the deck he's fucking shocking and a massive liability. Slow, indecisive and every pass he makes looks laboured. Gary Mac commented on it a few times during commentary. I suppose a clean sheet means that it will get overlooked. Did anyone else think the same?

Normally agree with most of what you have to say Red, but I thought Sakho was excellent yesterday. He may look ungainly but his defending and passing were top rate IMO.

Normally agree with most of what you have to say Red, but I thought Sakho was excellent yesterday. He may look ungainly but his defending and passing were top rate IMO.

It was, but once again his awkwardness nearly cost him, the back pass he played to Mignolet under pressure would have been punished against a quicker forward. His passing when bringing the ball out is top notch, he picks holes through the centre of midfield with great precision, but he looks like a disaster waiting to happen when under pressure.

They didn't deserve a draw. They earned it. I have no problem with a team being well drilled and shutting out the opposition
Exactly. We won a European cup a few years back on the back of a few performances like that, & don't anyone dare say we didn't deserve that.

Of course it does, you've got to consider the respective talent of both sides and what they set out to do. We set ourselves up as very attacking, with a talented front three. They set themselves up to compress the space around their defense and to frustrate us. Who's gameplan worked? Stats are bollocks, we didn't open them up as such, we were left frustrated by a tactical setup that worked.

Of course they deserve the draw. By that reckoning, you may aswell say Cambridge didn't deserve theirs, because possession percentages and the respective teamsheets say so.

Their idea was to either get a draw and drag us back to their place, or to nick a goal. They got way they came for, regardless of whether they showed attacking ambition.

I think you missed the gist of what I was saying there. It was nothing to do with game plans, attacking or defensive, though the stats I quoted do show the attacking intent and I agree with Buddha, the team that goes out to try to win the match by attacking means generally 'deserves' to win if they dominate the game and stats.

However in this case it was as a result of our failings (and the referee's blindness) rather than their tactics 'succeeding', though the end result was the same. We were left frustrated by our own inability to convert the opportunities we created, and that their keeper saved, you can give credit to the keeper but our failure was a result of our striking ineptitude not their defensive prowess.

Probably Fabio said it best, they earned a draw, they didn't deserve it.

It was, but once again his awkwardness nearly cost him, the back pass he played to Mignolet under pressure would have been punished against a quicker forward. His passing when bringing the ball out is top notch, he picks holes through the centre of midfield with great precision, but he looks like a disaster waiting to happen when under pressure.

Yet there aren't many disasters mate, if any this season. People may claim that he's an accident waiting to happen but I think he's got 1 unforced error this season which has led to a goal.
Which is quite normal.

I'm likely quiffing, but has anyone mentioned well well Mignolet played again yesterday. That's about 4 games running now that he's looked like a commanding keeper with half-decent feet, aligned to his usual excellent shot-stopping.

Might it just be that he's responding to his recent woes with real courage and progress?

I'm likely quiffing, but has anyone mentioned well well Mignolet played again yesterday. That's about 4 games running now that he's looked like a commanding keeper with half-decent feet, aligned to his usual excellent shot-stopping.

Might it just be that he's responding to his recent woes with real courage and progress?

Agreed. He said the games he sat on the bench adjusted his focus. Hopefully this form can continue until the end off the season.

haters don't need to hate (all the time).
If you believe that he's worthy money or indeed earns the money we pay him, then that's your right. I disagree and I think most of the time he is a shithouse in the tackle.

Oh and if wants to stay, having tried to go out to the market and earn what he earns here and now realises no one will pay him it, he can stay. On our terms not his.

If he plays well, I'll praise him. I'm not into hating players for the sake of it. I leave that to the site cretins.

I thought it was a good performance with many encouraging signs (Markovic, Can etc) I don't really like focusing on negatives but Sakho really was a worry. He might be able to attack the ball with gusto in the air but on the deck he's fucking shocking and a massive liability. Slow, indecisive and every pass he makes looks laboured. Gary Mac commented on it a few times during commentary. I suppose a clean sheet means that it will get overlooked. Did anyone else think the same?

You clearly are too affected by appearance. Substance over style my man. He's the best CB we have and one of the better ones in the league.

Well he didn't have a save to make yesterday and nearly got caught dawdling on the ball outside his area FFS. But otherwise I'd agree with you, and I have mentioned it (even giving him one MoM) over the past few matches.

You clearly are too affected by appearance. Substance over style my man. He's the best CB we have and one of the better ones in the league.
Of course I do really want him to be a boss in the box - There were many occasions yesterday where he seemed so laboured when passing though. Admittedly he didn't do too much wrong. He just looks a liability. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Of course I do really want him to be a boss in the box - There were many occasions yesterday where he seemed so laboured when passing though. Admittedly he didn't do too much wrong. He just looks a liability. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

People are acting like it's an exaggeration and unnecessary criticism, it's something that's simmering under what is otherwise a solid display. Saying it hasn't resulted in anything catastrophic is fine, all defenders make mistakes, again - fine, but when he's pressured he looks suspect and tends to flap. The fact he's just about gotten away with it on a few occasions now, shouldn't see us neglecting the fact that it looks like it's on the cards. Like I said, the backpass to Mignolet, on another day, would have been punished by a sharper forward.

Aside from that though, with each display he is looking more and more accomplished and dominant and his 20-30 yard passes from the back are largely excellent.

I just hope it's not an issue that teams will get wise too and something he won't be able to deal with.

Yes but we've been waiting a long time for the disaster to happen.

Mingolet is acting like a goalkeeper lately. It's dead weird. Hope it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom