• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So, BR then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before but Costa was the surprise omission for me. Given we'd triggered his release clause last summer only for him to sign a new contract and have a stellar season, you'd have thought we'd have been all over his 32m new clause as soon as it was apparent he might leave.

We must have known Suarez was likely to go so we had all last season to wrap up the Costa deal ahead of Chelsea.

Costa and Mourinho have the same agent; Jorge Mendes.

Game over.

So, is the suggestion that we couldn't have done better this summer? That we did as well as possible?

If so, that's pretty depressing.

I'm pretty sure we could, maybe Origi is a player we didn't need to invest in now, we should have made 100% clear to Borini that it was Sunderland or the reserves whatever our situation (that's cold I know, but this is a business) and maybe Markovic was a luxury FSG signing but he does come very highly rated and could end up being brilliant in 2-3 years. Maybe with that money we could have bought a couple of good forward players from the Bundesliga or Spain but there would still be no guarantees.

The only real change I'd have made is maybe Firmino, who isn't a striker anyway (but maybe could be) for Balotelli. Both a gamble but Firmino with Sturridge/Sterling up front would be closer to our style.

However to me it looks like we are building for the future, hoping to hold onto Top 4 this season, the average age of the players in our squad (exc. Gerrard, Johnson and Toure, none of whom will be regulars next season) and of those we bought in the Summer (Lambert aside) is ridiculously low compared to other Top 7 teams. I remember one match (forget which) this season where the average age was 23 years old, easily the lowest of any PL team on the day.

I've said it before but Costa was the surprise omission for me. Given we'd triggered his release clause last summer only for him to sign a new contract and have a stellar season, you'd have thought we'd have been all over his 32m new clause as soon as it was apparent he might leave.

We must have known Suarez was likely to go so we had all last season to wrap up the Costa deal ahead of Chelsea.

Chelsea were all over him well before the season ended. It was a given he was on his way there.

Chelsea were all over him well before the season ended. It was a given he was on his way there.

We triggered his release clause the summer before though!

Granted, the agent situation makes it more difficult but I'd have thought we'd be in for him.

For the Lovren signing it definitely felt like we had a bit of tunnel vision. Wish we looked at other options like Toprak and Manolas, if nothing else to lower Southampton's valuation.

Firmino is one I really hope we go in for, he's fantastic.

We triggered his release clause the summer before though!

Granted, the agent situation makes it more difficult but I'd have thought we'd be in for him.

We did but he still didn't want to move ... I think it's now been recognised as purely a tactical move by his agent to get him a pay rise.

Even if he had the same agent as Mourinho, would Costa have come? For probably much lower wages, a relatively unproven manager and Liverpool over London?
I agree that it would have been better to swap a couple of our signings for a top drawer one, but they aren't always available, and they won't always want to come to us.

Even if he had the same agent as Mourinho, would Costa have come? For probably much lower wages, a relatively unproven manager and Liverpool over London?
I agree that it would have been better to swap a couple of our signings for a top drawer one, but they aren't always available, and they won't always want to come to us.

The concern is that if we aren't more aggressive, they'll never be available, and won't ever want to come.

What worried me - and still does - what that Suarez was what made us last year ... Yes, Studge and others were key, but Suarez hunger (no pun intended) was what drove this team every single day. It's as much what he demanded off the pitch as what he did on the pitch that made him so important. I guess we'll learn this year about Rodgers in the next few weeks once Studge is back and he settles on his 1st 11 ... I'm cautiously optimistic but there's issues that even a blind man can point out

I really hope he doesn't become a victim of his own stubborness, he should watch reruns of Rafa and Ged's last seasons to see how easily it can call go tits up.

The lack of interest when Coutinho came off was pathetic, compounded even more by his enthusiastic embrace with Markovic, who came off the back of another lazy arsed, indifferent display.

The stubbornness thing is a worry. I said not long ago that we should give Gerrard more time in the DM role, but there are no signs of improvement at all.
It's fucking criminal for two reasons. Firstly, DM is a huge position on the pitch anyway, but when the defence and keeper are shit it's crucial. Secondly, Stevie has talent and experience further up the pitch. So play him there. Yeh I know last season we suggested moving him back, but last season we were on fire up front, whereas right now, we're shit there. Once Can is back, I'd shift him forward.

"We should have spent 40 million quid on player X to try and replace Suarez"

Fuck that, we should have bought better. We were muppets again not buying with a plan when it comes to strikers. We were the most dynamic, high tempo pressing team in the world last year. So we bough two big stick in the mud strikers. Fuck that. Sam Allardyce bought better strikers for our system. Do the fucking CBA on that. Give me Valencia and Sakho over Lambo and Ball right now please. We could have bought Lacazette and Firmino

I'm glad we bought Origi. But we fucked up...again.

So if we don't finish top 4.
Does Brendan get another season to sort it out, or does the club assess who is available(Klopp, Simone, Wenger) as a replacement before giving him another season?
I personally think it would be harsh to not allow him another season to sort it out and learn from this season(if it does end up pear shaped).
But at the same time, if there was a chance for Klopp, I'd be tempted.
Love Dortmunds quick one touch passing attacks.

So if we don't finish top 4.
Does Brendan get another season to sort it out, or does the club assess who is available(Klopp, Simone, Wenger) as a replacement before giving him another season?
I personally think it would be harsh to not allow him another season to sort it out and learn from this season(if it does end up pear shaped).
But at the same time, if there was a chance for Klopp, I'd be tempted.
Love Dortmunds quick one touch passing attacks.

Football is pretty tough.

If Rodgers doesn't steady things fairly quickly, a lot of people will say that all of his prattling about ones and twos last season was all bluff and bluster, that basically our team was set up to counterattack, and he benefited from the happy accident of fantastic synergy, at the center of which was the phenomenon that is Suarez. This will get even worse as we get treated to highlights of him banging them in.

That will of course only partially be true, but Rosco will probably resurface onto the board if only to remind us how unimportant managers are, that by and large they don't seem to get more or less out of their players in magical formulas, but instead its mostly purchasing, and the money to overcome mistakes that does it.

By then, the board will probably split into groups about whether they hate Rodgers or not. There probably won't be any real achievements to denigrate, but if we put together a cup win, people in the fuck rodgers camp will probably denigrate it. People won't enjoy the games, so it'll be a big acrimonious pissing contest on here, where since we can't get points out of the match, posters will attempt to get points about the players they hate, and whatever else vindicates their closed minded positions.

Then things will get really fun, where people delight in their specific types of failure. The board, and ownership will probably get dragged in in some way. I'll begin to be convinced once again that Liverpool will never again win a league.

Then we'll do it all over again. Each time I'll care a little less.

Or you know, Rodgers will sort it out. My history with Liverpool, suggests otherwise.

Mid table after 6 weeks with half a new team, Suarez gone, Sturridge injured is likely to mean inconsistency for a spell.

That said, I think things would improve rapidly with more energy and pressing right from the off. It's curious we've been unable to replicate this part of our game.

I think the return of Sturridge, Allen and Can will help.

So it begins... belly button gazing and deep deep examinations of the shit in it... :(

There is NOOO way BR should leave. We as supporters do have a duty to support him and stay with him. Even during the hard times. Even if it takes 2-3 more years to see a top team again. As a young manager I want to keep faith with him the same way he has to keep faith with our young talent. I want to see our team with Rossiter, Wilson, and Ibe developed and integrated before I'm willing to give up on Rodgers. I think its one of the places Rodgers has gone wrong. One of the reasons his reign has such a fresh start despite results not always being there was in the inclusion of Suso, Sterling, Flanagan and the likes. He was so proud of it. He needs to develop these players as much as buy new ones. His life as the Liverpool manager depends on it. We've been buying and signing top class youth products for a number of years now. We have to use them.

He should bring Ibe back straight away. He's more ready to influence games than Markovic.

IMO, Suso would be playing if he signed a contract. But he won't sign a contract unless he plays. Its a game of contract chicken. And we are going to lose. Most of all because we aren't using an asset on our books right now.

We're 6 weeks in and we've played, 433, 442 diamond, 4231 & 3 at the back.

Suarez aside, we just aren't shaping up the way we did last season and getting the best out of players.

Last year the team was built on a back four with full backs pushing on - no change this year.

Gerrard would sit in front of the defence and ping the ball around.

Henderson and Allen/Coutinho would sit in front of him closing down the opposition, box-to-box defending & attacking.

The forward 3 wasn't rigid - 2 up with 1 behind or 1 up with the other 2 exploiting space across the pitch.

We just seem to have lost all shape through the midfield and the effect is individual weaknesses are being amplified.

To compound this, Rodgers seems like he's tried to be too smart and cover individual failings by fucking with "the system" - which was working perfectly well - and confused everyone in the process.

Injuries have played a huge part as well, but we're not making life easy for ourself.

He hasn't fucked with the system that much, it seems like a lazy dig, the only way he's fucked with the system, is in buying the wrong players and trying to shoehorn them into it.

Lambert doesn't bother me, because there was nothing wrong with buying a cheap, short term centre forward who would give us something a bit different late in games. Mario, for the money, is a starter, yet he plays completely different to how we played last year and doesn't have an ounce of the determination and stamina that Suarez had, he doesn't wander across the front line or try to get beyond (and when he does, he lacks the intelligence to stay onside). That's effecting people like Coutinho, who are looking for players to make runs into channels and in behind defenders.

Mario fucked me off last night, he was letting the ball just bounce off him in attack and then scowling at players around him for not turning it into a great ball.

I'm not okay with us passing (negative) judgment on the intelligence of players, especially our own. It just doesn't sit right with me, for whatever reason.

Maybe because it sounds suspiciously close to keyboard warrior jargon, not sure. But saying Balotelli/Markovic aren't succeeding with us because they aren't smart enough just feels snobby and elitist.

I still maintain his transfer dealings are a lot worse than good. Not turning against him but he needs to sort stuff out and quick.

BR is still our man despite the poor results and performances. Wholesale changes never work out. We will come good eventually but it may be too late to make up ground for a top 4 finish unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom