• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So what does Rodgers have to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only read one page and given up. Anything less than 4th will be a disappointment for me.

All this rubbish about teams that are better than us is annoying.

If one of us had said Newcastle would finish 2/3 spots ahead of this last season in the summer people would have laughed.

No reason to believe with the players we have that we cannot make top 4. If nothing else this season proved no team is capable of holding onto 3rd and 4th.

3 months in Arsenal looked dead and buried. 3 months to go Spurs looked to have it sewn up.

We can and we will get 4th under the new management or it will be a disappointing season cups or no cups.

We need CL footy.

With the squad as it is now, 4th place is an unrealistic target.

Jumping from 8th to 4th with the exact same squad isn't doable no matter who's manager.

Newcastle almost done it so it's far from impossible.
A few decent signings and a solid start and we have a chance.

Whatever way you look at it, in the end we were 17 points off it. That's a massive gap to close.

I don't see why I shouldn't give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt.
With fat Adam and Stewie D gone, the Sky is the limit.

He speaks Spanish and will hopefully get along with our South americans and spaniards.
Good news for Suso/pacheco

He speaks Spanish and will hopefully get along with our South americans and spaniards.
Good news for Suso/pacheco

Is pacheco going to get any chance ever?

He could work well in a pass and move system

I have no problem with the manager controlling things. For me, the Director and Manager must agree on any players coming in. That makes for a successful partnership.

These days there's way too much for a manager to do even if he just concentrates on the team. It makes sense to delegate and provide support. It just needs doing in a way that's transparent, coherent and flexible.

These days there's way too much for a manager to do even if he just concentrates on the team. It makes sense to delegate and provide support. It just needs doing in a way that's transparent, coherent and flexible.
I understand that. What I didn't want was a Jol-Comolli type standoff when it comes to identifying transfer targets and bringing them into the club.

I understand that. What I didn't want was a Jol-Comolli type standoff when it comes to identifying transfer targets and bringing them into the club.

Agreed. I think in the past I've quite liked the stories of managers working non-stop, but that approach wrecked Houllier and as soon as Rafa lost Pako he seemed too obsessive to keep a sense of perspective, and Kenny looked drained last year.It's completely understandable Rodgers is keen to maintain full control but this is just too big a club for that to happen. If everyone reports to him but takes some of the weight off it must help in the long run. I do hope, however, the final system is as lean and as neat as possible - Ayre's waffle about a committee of analysts sounded like an expensive mess.

Agreed. I think in the past I've quite liked the stories of managers working non-stop, but that approach wrecked Houllier and as soon as Rafa lost Pako he seemed too obsessive to keep a sense of perspective, and Kenny looked drained last year.It's completely understandable Rodgers is keen to maintain full control but this is just too big a club for that to happen. If everyone reports to him but takes some of the weight off it must help in the long run. I do hope, however, the final system is as lean and as neat as possible - Ayre's waffle about a committee of analysts sounded like an expensive mess.
I like how BR stood by his principles and stuck to his guns. He also recognises that he needs a team around him and said that he can't do it all on his own.

I think that we are onto something special here. Now to sort the stadium issue out for once and all.

The real issue will be how the squad adapts to his style of play, I dont see him coming here and changing his style of play so its a matter of getting players who can play his system, of our current first team there are a few that just arent sorted to a pressing short passing game. He needs to very quickly sort out who he can work with from those that he cant and then get rid because as Villa Boas proved at Chelsea when a new manager comes in and tries to rip up the game plan he needs to get rid of the dissenting voices to have any chance of success.

Of our players those best suited to his style will probably be Enrique Agger Lucas Henderson Suarez Aqualani Cole Maxi

And there are some that just dont look like they will fit like Adam Carra Downing Carroll Kuyt Spearing

He has a big decision to make with regards players like Gerrard Johnson and Skrtel who are good players but just may not be a good fit. Rodgers has been given the mandate to rebuild the team, in his style, I expect him to make some bold decisions. He has my support, the squad as it is just isnt good enough to get near the top 3, getting fourth will be dependent on how a handful of other teams do aswell but we could be in the mix if he hits the ground running. I think a realistic points target is 65, if we get that Id say hes made a hell of a lot of progress in one season. Cups are unpredictable and not really a useful barometer of overall progress

We've played some lovely footy last season but the results didn't show it. His flowing style of football is a hybrid of pass and move incorporating tactical discipline. Most of the players should be able to get to grips with the new system. Whether they're technically good enough is an altogether different story.

While he may be relying on Gerrard and Carra, they're by no means guaranteed a starting berth. Who knnows what condition Gerrard will return from Euros.

Rodgers transfers will have a massive impact on where we end up.

I cant see Carra being a regular started under Rodgers system, he is just too immobile and careless with possession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom