• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there are massive financial advantages over most teams in Europe. Some PL teams are wealthy yes but so are many on the continent.

There are thousands of clubs in Europe, theres about a dozen we dont have a financial advantage over

Rodgers inherited a decent Swansea squad with players such as Williams, Allen, Rangel, Bodde*, Dobbie etc at his disposal BUT he has added to it wisely. He signed Scott Sinclair for 0.5m, Vorm signed for an undisclosed fee but probaby didn't cost too much, he splashed out £3.5 on Danny Graham who was very good this season but will be better next season if he gets rid of a few niggles and he took the excellent Stephen Caulker on loan from Spurs and remarkably only paid £0.4m for Leon Britton.

Tactically he didn't change too much but he made the defence more solid than under previous managers and he made Joe Allen a regular starter whereas he had been rather peripheral under Sousa.

As I've said, Lambert was my first choice but I'd be more than happy with Rodgers.

*Ferre Bodde is an excellent CM who has been out injured for over 2 years, if Swansea ever get him fit he'll be an excellent addition to their squad.

In which case you disagree with FSG, we're at cross-purposes and there's not much point in discussing this.

Sorry, you're the one advocating the old school approach. And making up bullshit reasons not to attempt to become a better club

1. The Premier League isnt special. Its not fine unique version of football distinct from the rest of the world, even if Sky tell you that.
2. Despite massive financial advantages over 98% of teams in Europe we're routinely outperformed by these clubs.

So instead of plodding along doing everything way we've always fine it why not learn from those c who are better?

I admit I am most probably misunderstanding your point here, but if the English clubs are so but better off, then why would we be wanting to take lessons from those clubs who are not as well off?

And also, are European clubs really outperforming us that much? English clubs don't seem to have trouble attracting the top players, and over the past 8 seasons I think there has only been one year when the Champions League final has not featured at least one English side.

If he got this man
article-0-0AD97310000005DC-400_233x423.jpg

into this shape
089d63ef-e6bb-4a9e-90ec-52cd6544a275_6ac897b7-0fb1-4b95-99f8-76ded66aab54.jpg

Charlie Adam had better beware.

Sorry, you're the one advocating the old school approach. And making up bullshit reasons not to attempt to become a better club

No, I'm not, and I wasn't. You decided I was in order to have one of your statutory pointless and gratuitously personalised arguments.

Threads on this site seem to go more off-topic due to administrators more than anyone else.

Its pointless debating blueprints when ultimately the only blueprint we end up discussing is Rosco's, tbf.

I'm open to having a DOF and a Technical Director etc, but I think the point that FSG might be placing too much emphasis on the managerial structure per se, as opposed to the actual quality of the appointees, is a valid one. Who's to say that sustained success such as Lyon's or Man Utd's isn't down to the quality of the managerial personnel far more than any particular winning management structure? Indeed, wasn't Lyon's success gained at the expense of lots of other teams using pretty much the same methods (I'm assuming here, so sorry if that's not right)?

Ross dresses up as Tobias from Arrested development when he is dressed up as the blue man group in cut off denims.
Ross is a never nude.
His blue print is in the shape of a massive cock and balls.
And hes 47

Lots of clubs don't need DoFs, but then lots of clubs have hands on owners who know the sport. We absolutely need a DoF.

Rodgers inherited a decent Swansea squad with players such as Williams, Allen, Rangel, Bodde*, Dobbie etc at his disposal BUT he has added to it wisely. He signed Scott Sinclair for 0.5m, Vorm signed for an undisclosed fee but probaby didn't cost too much, he splashed out £3.5 on Danny Graham who was very good this season but will be better next season if he gets rid of a few niggles and he took the excellent Stephen Caulker on loan from Spurs and remarkably only paid £0.4m for Leon Britton.

Tactically he didn't change too much but he made the defence more solid than under previous managers and he made Joe Allen a regular starter whereas he had been rather peripheral under Sousa.

As I've said, Lambert was my first choice but I'd be more than happy with Rodgers.

*Ferre Bodde is an excellent CM who has been out injured for over 2 years, if Swansea ever get him fit he'll be an excellent addition to their squad.

Well said, that's what does my head in, people keep bellowing out that it was Martinez' team. How come he or Paulo Sousa didn't get them promoted? It's like giving Houllier credit for our Champions League victory in 2005. Those are superb examples you point out, when you make a signing not only do you want a quality player, but you also want it to positively impact the rest of your team and that's what I think he's done with each one and made the likes of Ashley Williams and Joe Allen into better players. He brought in Fabio Borini on-loan towards the end of the promotion-chasing season and that was another fantastic and timely signing. You forgot about the main man now, Sigurdsson. ;) Getting him firstly on-loan and now permanently for over £7m is nothing short of a masterstroke. Even competing with Everton and Liverpool for the signature of Rory Donnelly and winning the battle due to his powers of persuasion was also pretty impressive.

Lots of clubs don't need DoFs, but then lots of clubs have hands on owners who know the sport. We absolutely need a DoF.

I think we need a proper Chairman or Chief Executive, like Daniel Levy, David Dein, or David Gill. Whether we also need a DoF is a separate issue.

I think we need a proper Chairman or Chief Executive, like Daniel Levy, David Dein, or David Gill. Whether we also need a DoF is a separate issue.

It's just a term innit. David Dein could have been called a DoF. We need some fucker who is above the manager, who's dead switched on, knows the game inside out, and who isn't in Boston with a thousand other businesses to run. Call him what you want.

Well said, that's what does my head in, people keep bellowing out that it was Martinez' team. How come he or Paulo Sousa didn't get them promoted? It's like giving Houllier credit for our Champions League victory in 2005. Those are superb examples you point out, when you make a signing not only do you want a quality player, but you also want it to positively impact the rest of your team and that's what I think he's done with each one and made the likes of Ashley Williams and Joe Allen into better players. He brought in Fabio Borini on-loan towards the end of the promotion-chasing season and that was another fantastic and timely signing. You forgot about the main man now, Sigurdsson. ;) Getting him firstly on-loan and now permanently for over £7m is nothing short of a masterstroke. Even competing with Everton and Liverpool for the signature of Rory Donnelly and winning the battle due to his powers of persuasion was also pretty impressive.
Has the Siggurdson deal gone through? I was hoping that we might be able to usurp the deal if we got Rodgers as he was obviously being signed at Rodgers request.

If Van Gaal is appointed will Rodgers be able to work with him? It is going to be interesting if we can make this structure work. In a perfect world, the DOF/Manager/AM will form a boot room like collective. In reality, there may well be bitching and fucking war.

Hard to know which way to go on that one. If you trust Van Gaal then you probably want a manager who's happy to listen and do things his (LVG's) way. That requires a bit of a yes man.

If you're not sure how long any club can put up with Van Gaal (like me) then you probably want a manager who's going to be strong enough to stand up and be his own man even while working with such a powerful figure. For me that's one of the benefits of Rodgers who's always struck me as having a hard edge. I think if he's tough enough then, so long as they want the same thing, their ideologies are closely enough aligned to form a good partnership.

Van Gaal has seemed to want it to be his way or nothing at all at times but, hopefully, if he's here he wants what LFC wants. Rodgers will get the players playing well and Van Gaal's record shows he knows how to spot a player. It's a partnership which would have huge potential.......... and could also end in tears. Ultimately I don't want a yes man as a manager so Rodgers would be a good choice IMO.

Has the Siggurdson deal gone through? I was hoping that we might be able to usurp the deal if we got Rodgers as he was obviously being signed at Rodgers request.

I believe it's subject to a medical which shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom