• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some have said, it's not been a mess, it's just life in the age of constant 24 hr news, Facebook , twitter and us all wanting to know now, rather than let it run a naturally appropriate time course.

Rodgers has won nothing, and his win ratio is poor. I think he's a better option than Martinez now, but really it's just one season. He could be just another flavor of the month who hadn't been found out since he's at a low expectations club. A club like Liverpool really needs someone who has demonstrated more than what either lambert, Rodgers or Martinez have achieved. I know we all want the next Jose, but even Jose had to show he could win something before he could move on from Portugal.

Houllier /Evans was so David Moores Mark, and any grown-up would have seen two managers never working. It flies in the face of everything we know - I mean twas a joke right. Surely the Americans know this

Rodgers generally between 2/7 and 1/5 this morning.
Martinez ranging from 2's to 7/2

I've just snapped up the £2 on offer for Lambert at 249/1 on Betfair. If they're considering Martinez/Rodgers I can't believe they haven't got their beady eyes on Lambert. Norwich are a proper club and if there was any contact it'd be done under the radar.

*thumbs through holiday brochures*

Houllier /Evans was so David Moores Mark, and any grown-up would have seen two managers never working. It flies in the face of everything we know - I mean twas a joke right. Surely the Americans know this

You'd think so, but if Van Gaal does become Sporting Director there's just no way it won't be a problem as soon as Rodgers or whoever goes through a bad spell. At least Comolli was never going to be a threat, but as soon as you put an experienced ex-manager in that role (however redefined) it's a recipe for internal disintegration. FSG seem to be staring at the paper description and not imagining the living reality.

Internal nuclear conflagration, more like, if Van Gaal's involved. If we are going to take the risk of appointing him we'd be better off just giving him the manager's job and having done with it, but where would that leave FSG's wish to instal a DOF-led structure?

Internal nuclear conflagration, more like, if Van Gaal's involved. If we are going to take the risk of appointing him we'd be better off just giving him the manager's job and having done with it, but where would that leave FSG's wish to instal a DOF-led structure?

Exactly. I think they're fixated on their blueprint. First they went for someone who wasn't really a football man, and he was ineffectual. Now they seem to be going for a real football man, and he'll probably be too powerful. They're like white-coated, pipe-smoking boffins in a sci-fi movie, still stubbornly reprogramming a machine that everyone else can see is about to blow up.

There is no way we would appoint a manager under this new said structure, without having a DOF in place first.. If it is to be Rogers, you can imagine the DOF, would be making the final call on that.. not the club..

Last edited:
I always figured that the Evans/Houllier situation only arose because the club was too scared to get rid of Evans and so figured - correctly as it turned out - that he would walk soon enough anyway.

The structure that FSG are reportedly wanting is of course slightly different, but I share the concerns about having a high profile ex-manager as DoF. If things go right instantly and continue to go well then great, but as soon as we start having bad results or signings don't work out, that is when the problems would start.

I always figured that the Evans/Houllier situation only arose because the club was too scared to get rid of Evans and so figured - correctly as it turned out - that he would walk soon enough anyway.

That's what Peter Robinson told Paddy Barclay before Houllier arrived.

Those were more sentimental, kindly days. The club wasn't scared, just too soft to sack Roy Evans, a well-loved, long serving mainstay of the Boot Room. The concept of Evans and Houllier having equal authority was clearly nonsense to everybody at the time.

Those were more sentimental, kindly days. The club wasn't scared, just too soft to sack Roy Evans, a well-loved, long serving mainstay of the Boot Room. The concept of Evans and Houllier having equal authority was clearly nonsense to everybody at the time.

Yeah, soft is probably the better word in that case.

The club was never very good at getting rid of managers, in fairness probably because of years of never ever needing to. They all won things and then left when they wanted to. So to some the treatment of managers became part of 'The Liverpool Way', whereas in reality the Liverpool Way was simply winning things, and when you win things you will generally not sack the manager!

There is no way we would appoint a manager under this new said structure, without having a DOF in place first.. If it is to be Rogers, you can imagine the DOF, would be making the final call on that.. not the club..

i imagine that they are trying to sort it all out at the same time, trying to please the manager/dof/whoever else in who they are going to work with, otherwise its pointless

Last edited by a moderator:
I (as stated) dont really care, but i find it EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that Marinez or Rodgers or any other young up and coming manager would turn down the chance to manage Liverpool under a DOF or any other situation.
The lack of ambition it would show would be crushing I would think. Especially given the option is a relegation battle next year, possible relegation and then your ONE chance of the big time is gone totally.

Dear Big Clubs,

I would very much like to manage you, even if the ghost of Harry H Corbett is DOF.

lots of love
Owen Coyle.

I (as stated) dont really care, but i find it EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that Marinez or Rodgers or any other young up and coming manager would turn down the chance to manage Liverpool under a DOF or any other situation.

Surely the militant fans including the so-called Sons of Shankly must be a big turn-off. Any prospective manager must be wary bearing in mind the fate of Roy Hodgson.

I dont think Hodgson comparisons are valid PT.
He has already had chances at Udinese and Inter TWICE as well as international football.
This is the chance of a Martinez or a Rodgers to be either a Martin O'Neill or a Neil Warnock.

They would have to be fucking nuts not to take it.

Maybe not but given we have a significant bunch of bellend supporters, an average squad and a wage bill thats 70% of turnover anyone stepping into a management role at the club knows its a massive challenge right now

By the way, I could probably understand Rodgers turning it down given that Swansea do look like a well run well supported club on the up, so potentially they could move forward and he could wait for a top 4 gig, bit then top 4 clubs dont sack managers. Wigan are going nowhere, and Martinez turning down LIVERPOOL, wouldnt signify loyalty but cowardice.

Not every big opportunity is the right one to take - look at Hodgson coming here. If I'm Martinez, Liverpool come in for me but I'm told I'll have to work under Van Gaal, I'd think more than twice about it.

There are a couple of clubs outside the UK y'know.

Yes, thank you for that. First, however, FSG have boasted of how they regard their forthcoming new structure as distinct from that - a 'tailor-made' structure specifically for LFC - and, second, what the fuck do overseas clubs have to do with the English Premier League?

Not every big opportunity is the right one to take - look at Hodgson coming here. If I'm Martinez, Liverpool come in for me but I'm told I'll have to work under Van Gaal, I'd think more than twice about it.
HODGSON IS NOT A DECENT COMPARISON TO A NEW MANAGER RECENTLY PROMOTED OR JUST HANGING ON AT A RELEGATION CANDIDATE.

Yes, thank you for that. First, however, FSG have boasted of how they regard their forthcoming new structure as distinct from that - a 'tailor-made' structure specifically for LFC - and, second, what the fuck do overseas clubs have to do with the English Premier League?

1. The Premier League isnt special. Its not fine unique version of football distinct from the rest of the world, even if Sky tell you that.
2. Despite massive financial advantages over 98% of teams in Europe we're routinely outperformed by these clubs.

So instead of plodding along doing everything way we've always fine it why not learn from those c who are better?

Unless you've had past experience of Van Gaal. Rodgers spent some time at Barcelona. I'm not sure whether it was when Van Gaal was there though, trying to find out. Unless anyone knows already....

1. The Premier League isnt special. Its not fine unique version of football distinct from the rest of the world, even if Sky tell you that.
2. Despite massive financial advantages over 98% of teams in Europe we're routinely outperformed by these clubs.

So instead of plodding along doing everything way we've always fine it why not learn from those c who are better?

Ignore the existing European models. Tell me how the technical director and sporting director and manager will work within this new boutique system, and explain the demarcations between those roles. You've obviously got inside info from your contract friend.

I don't think there are massive financial advantages over most teams in Europe. Some PL teams are wealthy yes but so are many on the continent.

Ignore the existing European models. Tell me how the technical director and sporting director and manager will work within this new boutique system, and explain the demarcations between those roles. You've obviously got inside info from your contract friend.

I'd prefer to be ignorant and believe in doing things the old fashioned and wrong way.

Put whatever titles you want on it, its all the same.

DOF - builds the squad, controls the finances. Decides the overall philosophy, long term planning etc

Technical - oversees the development of youths

Manager - trains and selects the team and tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom