• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had the vision of them all lined up on chairs outside Henrys office, palms sweating, clutching their CV and glancing nervously at one another. Villas-Boas looking at Lambert and thinking 'Who comes to an interview in a fucking tracksuit' Martinez with a look of desperate fear in his eyes, sounds of the jungle coming from the office with a faint whisper of faraway screams.

I just had the vision of them all lined up on chairs outside Henrys office, palms sweating, clutching their CV and glancing nervously at one another. Villas-Boas looking at Lambert and thinking 'Who comes to an interview in a fucking tracksuit' Martinez with a look of desperate fear in his eyes, sounds of the jungle coming from the office with a faint whisper of faraway screams.

And in the end it's all settled the old fashioned way. Soggy biscuit.

FSG - 'ten minutes to impress up, GO!'

you have to wonder what the sales pitch of AVB, rodgers and martinez. I think AVB has the easiest pitch as he has won domestic and european silverware and a top team like roma are chasing him.

it will be like the dark knight. john henry will break a pool cue over his knee and toss it to AVB, martinez and rodgers.
winner takes all, losers get carried out in a body bag.

I'm sure FSG are bound to be impressed by the fact that AVB is also being courted by the other club FSG own.

FSG - 'ten minutes to impress up, GO!'

you have to wonder what the sales pitch of AVB, rodgers and martinez. I think AVB has the easiest pitch as he has won domestic and european silverware and a top team like roma are chasing him.

Interesting question. I reckon AVB would highlight his success with Porto but downplay his problems at Chelsea. I think Rodgers would talk about his really impressive record at Swansea and Martinez likewise while of course mentioning his decent spell at Wigan.

The really interesting question though is how Henry and Werner would greet each of the candidates at interview. It'd probably be something like 'Hello Andre (or Brendan or Roberto depending on which one they were talking to), nice to see you, thanks for coming along today' but this is all speculation and none of us really know for sure at this point, right?

I'd take anyone of those young guys 'if' we have someone in the DOF role that has done it all and has a good philosophy. The problem though, or certainly the big worry, would have to be whether they can work together and if their methods may clash. That's why I can see someone like Martinez or Rodgers getting it, there's less baggage for the club to worry about and they're (on paper at least), more likely to take on board the methods or advice from a DOF, as opposed to someone like AVB.

Mark: I wonder. Rodgers and Martinez have made their managerial careers so far on the English model, i.e.not having to work to a DOF above them. Certainly it's possible that, as younger men, they might be more amenable to such a set-up than an older guy, but I don't think that's guaranteed. The way the two posts fit together is going to have to be very carefully designed, whoever is ultimately appointed to either.

I'm sure FSG are bound to be impressed by the fact that AVB is also being courted by the other club FSG own.

Boston investor Thomas DiBenedetto, who is awaiting formal regulatory approval for his purchase of a controlling stake in AS Roma, has confirmed his interest in bringing one or more American players to the Italian club.

The Boston Globe on Wednesday reported that DiBenedetto, also a minority partner in the holding company that owns the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC

that doesn't sound like FSG own roma.

for me it's like this; with a DoF the capture of talent will be a joint process and will go hand in hand will our new footballing principles so it comes down to footballing expertise.

I'm not too worried about clashing of players because the core players are pretty young and you'd think are open to suggestion and the older players are either on the fringe or on the wane so their influence doesn't loom as large as the chelsea players and they would be far easier to move on if they don't buy into the new direction.

It doesn't sounds like it Spidey, but it is FSG ultimately.

Mark- if AVB was willing to take direction from a nobody at Porto what makes you think he won't be open to taking direction from one of the biggest names in the game.

Mark- if AVB was willing to take direction from a nobody at Porto what makes you think he won't be open to taking direction from one of the biggest names in the game.

if you bought a franchise and had a minority stake in another company and the other company said 'hey, we want AVB', if you wanted AVB yourself would their opinion sway you?

LFC and Roma sound like completely different entities to me.

We don't know how much direction he actually had to take at Porto. He'll have to take a shedload if Van Gaal is appointed over him, and it's unlikely (to say the least) that it'll be delivered in a consistently palatable way.

Spidey - I can't be any clearer. FSG own both clubs. They technically can't so they came up with a legal way around it .

The same brains trust is running both clubs. We've been strongly linked with Juve's Paratici as DOF. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if hes appointed by Roma. Theres a fucking massive hint in Roma saying AVB isn't available, why would they say that when everyone knows hes looking for work?

That wasn't really the full point. I was talking more about a reputable DOF wanting to put more of a stamp on things, as opposed to a general DOF having 'some' input. I couldn't see someone like LVG coming here to play a small part, so you'd suspect the potential for a clashing of ideals is more likely in that scenario.

Spidey - I can't be any clearer. FSG own both clubs. They technically can't so they came up with a legal way around it .

The same brains trust is running both clubs. We've been strongly linked with Juve's Paratici as DOF. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if hes appointed by Roma. Theres a fucking massive hint in Roma saying AVB isn't available, why would they say that when everyone knows hes looking for work?

okay, got ya.
so is it fair to say if AVB doesn't get the job at liverpool he wont get the job at roma?

He's not 'the boss', that's just in your dream world. He doesn't pick the side everyweek and sit in the dugout, does he?

I agree with ross, he (the DoF) is the boss. the DoF sets policy of the direction the club is going to go in a footballing sense, so if the DOF said we are going in a tippy tappy direction we would get players that service that, play formations that service that, pick tactics which service that.

On the contrary, FSG and Di Benedetto are clearly interested in the guy, so my guess is he will get the Roma gig if we don't appoint him and he wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom