• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with ross, he (the DoF) is the boss. the DoF sets policy of the direction the club is going to go in a footballing sense, so if the DOF said we are going in a tippy tappy direction we would get players that service that, play formations that service that, pick tactics which service that.

That doesn't make him the boss, he's there to oversea the direction and style of the club's football, it's doesn't mean he gets final say on everything. It's his job to help instill methods and ideas and target players within that structure, but it's still agreeable between the other major staff. Do you think Comolli said in the Summer, right we're going to play this way and these are the players we are going to buy? There may have been some sway with certain signings that were more accreditable to Damien, but there were equally players Dalglish wanted.

It seems more a case of two heads (or more) are better than one, which doesn't always ring true, but anyway. I see we're now looking at splitting the role, so one member of staff concentrates on the admin side of the role and the other on the footballing side. Does that mean we now have two bosses? Nope.

That doesn't make him the boss, he's there to oversea the direction and style of the club's football, it's doesn't mean he gets final say on everything. It's his job to help instill methods and ideas and target players within that structure, but it's still agreeable between the other major staff. Do you think Comolli said in the Summer, right we're going to play this way and these are the players we are going to buy? There may have been some sway with certain signings that were more accreditable to Damien, but there were equally players Dalglish wanted.

It seems more a case of two heads (or more) are better than one, which doesn't always ring true, but anyway. I see we're now looking at splitting the role, so one member of staff concentrates on the admin side of the role and the other on the footballing side. Does that mean we now have two bosses? Nope.

who knows what was going on with the comolli/kenny situation, that was confusing as heck.

Comolli didn't do that Mark, correct.

Note - he got the boot.

Which returns to my point about LVG, he's got a bigger reputation, will want to have more of a say and more authority over things (potentially) which increases the chance of friction with a manager who wants just as much control over things, which I think AVB would.

Risk mitigation mark.

If the manager doesn't get on with the players or is poor tactically etc, you can change him without the costs of changing the entire staff as usually happens.

In that sense the boss truly is the DoF, & theoretically his appointment is more important & will be more stable with greater longevity than the manager.

Its bare exciting all this!!

I dont care who we sign, im getting a pre-season woody.

Which returns to my point about LVG, he's got a bigger reputation, will want to have more of a say and more authority over things (potentially) which increases the chance of friction with a manager who wants just as much control over things, which I think AVB would.

DOF is the boss.

Any 'manager' coming here will know his power extends as far as coaching and picking the team. He can have am opinion on whatever else he likes but can't expect to get his own way.

And it should be made clear thats how it will be.

Well someone tell the owners, because they appointed Comolli as DOF last March, with the manager already in place, and he was the first to go this Summer.

I understand the idea in theory, but we're already interviewing managers without a DOF in place, so the ideal of what a DOF should be, and what yourself and Rosco are trying to express it to be, isn't really ringing true for us, certainly not with what we're hearing. It sounds like an entire package again, overseen by the owners and whoever else. And when that goes tits up, no doubt we'll probably end up starting from scratch, again.

DOF is the boss.

Any 'manager' coming here will know his power extends as far as coaching and picking the team. He can have am opinion on whatever else he likes but can't expect to get his own way.

And it should be made clear thats how it will be.

so it would be a case of;

DoF - 'we're playing attacking football so choose players that can service that'

or

DoF - 'we're playing attacking football and here are the players you'll be using'

put your dick away, it failed when we needed it the most
Excuse me?!
My cock has a 100% record!
Its not my fault I couldnt get it out for the cup final.
The cock is good man, dont worry about the cock.

Well someone tell the owners, because they appointed Comolli as DOF last March, with the manager already in place, and he was the first to go this Summer.

I understand the idea in theory, but we're already interviewing managers without a DOF in place, so the ideal of what a DOF should be, and what yourself and Rosco are trying to express it to be, isn't really ringing true for us, certainly not with what we're hearing. It sounds like an entire package again, overseen by the owners and whoever else. And when that goes tits up, no doubt we'll probably end up starting from scratch, again.

I hope it does, if that happens, but I fear they're so fixated on the structure they'll protect it to the detriment of everything, and everyone, else.

Villas Boas has said that Van Gaal has had a great influence on him and that they share a lot of the same ideas re attacking football. Could be a good fit.

I hope it does, if that happens, but I fear they're so fixated on the structure they'll protect it to the detriment of everything, and everyone, else.

it's about making a business plan and sticking to it despite ups and downs. we've gone down the manager runs everything road for 20 years (since the last league title) and to be fair it has got us

4 league cups
3 fac cups
1 uefa cup
1 CL

but has yeilded only 3 genuine league title challenges in 20+ years, we need a change of approach.

it's about making a business plan and sticking to it despite ups and downs. we've gone down the manager runs everything road for 20 years and to be fair it has got us

4 league cups
3 fac cups
1 uefa cup
1 CL

but has yeilded only 3 genuine league title challenges in 20+ years, we need a change of approach.

I don't think anyone really has an issue with us trying to build a structure and having people behind the scenes who are experienced and can give full support and guidance to the manager. That wasn't really the debate, it was about how much of the role is designated to who and how much influence and authority everyone has. That's what gives off the air of confusion.

it's about making a business plan and sticking to it despite ups and downs. we've gone down the manager runs everything road for 20 years and to be fair it has got us

4 league cups
3 fac cups
1 uefa cup
1 CL

You think that these results were predicated on the board structure? Fucking hell... It's about having the right people doing the right things - but - most notably, spending lots of money.

Manure have had one manager and no DoF for 20 odd years and won tons.

Real Madrid have had a new chairman every couple of years, DoFs, a manager merry-go-round and won tons.

Chelsea fired their manager half way through a season and have an oligarch picking the team and still just won the CL.

There is no correct structure, but there is a correct amount of money. Fuckloads.

You think that these results were predicated on the board structure? Fucking hell... It's about having the right people doing the right things - but - most notably, spending lots of money.

Manure have had one manager and no DoF for 20 odd years and won tons.

Real Madrid have had a new chairman every couple of years, DoFs, a manager merry-go-round and won tons.

Chelsea fired their manager half way through a season and have an oligarch picking the team and still just won the CL.

There is no correct structure, but there is a correct amount of money. Fuckloads.

success these days goes hand in hand with the wage bill. we can't pay top dollar so we need a different approach.

Innit though.
League winners SPENT - A Billion in 4 years
Fa Cup winners SPENT - 1.2 BILLION in 9 years
European cup winners SPENT - " "
Second in the league SPENT - Hundreds of millions of pounds...

The approach means fuck all. If you could point to a method consistently working you'd have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom