• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer international rugby tours

Jürgen4PM

Well-Known
With Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland about to take on the big three southern hemisphere teams, how are our sides going to go?

Wales have a 3 test match series against the Aussies
Ireland have a 3 test match series against the Kiwi's
England have a 3 test match series against the South Africans
Scotland are playing all 3 of them once (i think)

Personally i can't see Ireland or Scotland picking up a win, but i quite fancy England and Wales chances of doing well.

Thanks mate. Is it over here or in Scotland? The weather on the East Coast here is forecast to be wild.

All the games are in NZ, SA or Australia, todays game is being held in Newcastle (NSW) mate.

If the weather is shitty it might help keep the score down for the scots.

Your boys have the best chance of doing something IMO. England are taking a relatively inexperienced squad and, while I don't know that much about the current state of S.African rugby, you can bet the Saffers will give England a real physical going-over, in the midweek games as well as the Tests. Our players will certainly know they've been on tour by the end of it.

All the games are in NZ, SA or Australia, todays game is being held in Newcastle (NSW) mate.

If the weather is shitty it might help keep the score down for the scots.

I was going to say it might do rather more than that. Then I saw the final score and wished I had. The Jockoes LOVE it when the weather gets nasty. Reminds them of home, it does.

Did you see any of it mate?

The weather was woeful (Will Genia was shivering non stop in the second half), i'm not sure i've seen a game played in rain that bad before.

I see the SA's have named 9 uncapped players for your series, and have only got 6 days of preperation together before the first test.

Did you see any of it mate?

The weather was woeful (Will Genia was shivering non stop in the second half), i'm not sure i've seen a game played in rain that bad before.

I see the SA's have named 9 uncapped players for your series, and have only got 6 days of preperation together before the first test.

Well, that might make them nastier than ever, but then again it could mean we have a chance.

Didn't see the Scotland/Oz game. If I were Welsh I'd have mixed feelings about the result. On the one hand it proves the Aussies are beatable on their own onion patch. On the other hand, they'll be hopping mad and out for revenge on the nearest Celts to hand. You should have the beating of them in the front row though, which will help.

It is still a very strong squad. Many of those players have had a great Super Rugby tournament so far and I suspect that they be eager to show their worth.

Well, that might make them nastier than ever, but then again it could mean we have a chance.

If I were Welsh I'd have mixed feelings about the result. On the one hand it proves the Aussies are beatable on their own onion patch. On the other hand, they'll be hopping mad and out for revenge on the nearest Celts to hand. You should have the beating of them in the front row though, which will help.

Ha, the first thing i thought when the game was over was that we're now going to face a shit storm on Saturday! We've got the side to beat them, but personally i think it's just got that little bit harder.

was that the full australia first team or ?

Quade Cooper, James O'Connor & Kurtley Beale are all injured. They're the best players in the backs (with Genia), so are a big loss. The captain & 2nd row Horwill is also out injured.
McCabe played through the World Cup and he'll probably come back in. I'll be surprised if Adam Ashley-Cooper doesn't play as well. AAC is a decent player, McCabe is just a tackler.
There's not many other changes they can make. They're not particularly good to be honest. Deans will get the sack if Wales win the series.

I'm going to the third test , could turn out to be a massive game if jobs are on the line .

Australia coach Robbie Deans has made eight changes for the first Test against Wales on Saturday following Tuesday's shock 9-6 defeat by Scotland.
Deans has selected a hugely different pack from the one that lost the forward battle against the Scots, including a whole new front row.
Loose-head prop Benn Robinson returns to the Test rugby after an 18-month absence, while Wycliff Palu gets the nod at number eight after recovering from injury.

ad_choices_i_UR.png
Robinson is joined by his New South Wales Warratahs team-mates Tatafu Polota-Nau, who starts at hooker, and Sekope Kepu.
Scott Higginbotham makes a positional shift across the back-row to six and Rob Simmons replaces the injured Sitaleki Timani in the second row.
In the backs, Berrick Barnes continues in his role at outside-half, with Deans resisting calls to bring back Quade Coooper, who is on the road to fitness.
Adam Ashley-Cooper returns to the starting side at full-back, while rugby league convert Joe Tomane retains his place on the wing after being one of six new caps blooded against the Scots.
Pat McCabe also steps up from the bench to replace Mike Harris at inside centre, alongside with Rob Horne in the midfield.
Open-side flanker David Pocock has again been named captain in place of lock James Horwill, who was ruled out for the three-Test series against Wales with a hamstring injury.

Wales: L Halfpenny; A Cuthbert, J Davies, S Williams, G North; R Priestland, M Phillips; G Jenkins, K Owens, A Jones, B Davies, L Charteris, D Lydiate, S Warburton (Captain), T Faletau.
Replacements: M Rees, P James, AW Jones, R Jones, L Williams, J Hook, A Beck.
Australia: A Ashley-Cooper; J Tomane, R Horne, P McCabe, D Ioane; B Barnes, W Genia; B Robinson, T Polota Nau, S Kepu, R Simmons, N Sharpe, S Higginbotham, D Pocock, W Palu.
Replacements: S Moore, B Alexander, D Dennis, M Hooper, N White, A Fainga’a, M Harris.

I'm going to the wales game in Melbourne - corporate box courtesy of Heineken.

They've got an excellent chance.

Who I'm cheering on will very much depend on who I'll be able to wind up the most.

Considering you'll be watching it with around 40,000+ aussies that should be a very easy call to make.

I wonder if I can get 40,000 Aussies singing "your only sheep shagging bastards"... :)

Wales Under-20s inflicted the first defeat on New Zealand's Baby Blacks for four years in South Africa.
Coach Danny Wilson's side recorded a historic 9-6 win over the reigning junior world champions at the Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch.
Fly-half Matthew Morgan and wing Tom Prydie scored Wales' points in terrible conditions.
Prydie's second half penalty in the driving rain proved the difference between the teams.
Fly-half Scott Eade kicked two of his five penalties for New Zealand.
New Zealand U20s had not lost in 21 games in the International Rugby Board's annual Under-20s championship and were the reigning champions.
They had cruised to a 63-0 victory over Samoa in their opener and had set their sights on a fifth consecutive world title.
But Wales' stout defence in atrocious wind and torrential rain frustrated the Baby Blacks who famously recorded a record-breaking 92-0 win over Wales in the same tournament last season in Italy.
Mark Taylor, the Wales Under-20s manager, who was in the first Wales senior side to beat South Africa in 1999, did not hide the importance of the victory.
"It was immense," said Taylor. "It is probably one of the biggest wins I have ever been associated with.
"It's just an outstanding result. Whenever you play New Zealand you know you are in for a really tough time
"But the boys played the conditions superbly well, held their discipline and got a tremendous result.
"We are over the moon but know we cannot let ourselves down later on in this tournament by failing to qualify by not beating Samoa."
The Ospreys fly-half, Matthew Morgan, landed one of his four first-half penalties to make it 6-3 to the New Zealanders at half-time.
After the break, the Welsh defence frustrated the Kiwis before Prydie took control of kicking duties from Morgan to land his 65th penalty to secure a famous victory.
Wales remain unbeaten in the competition after they beat Fiji 44-18 in the tournament opener. They play Samoa at the University of Western Cape Stadium on 12 June.

Watched this earlier. Tremendous performance from the Welsh lads.

Back
Top Bottom