• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t it a historical truism that society juggles morality with gratification? A question that I’ll ponder in the bath later…. Then forget about because it’s a historical truism and no one cares or can do anything about it. I’ll just mumble about it on an internet forum and urge anyone half interested to read Hume or Satre.

I think lfc will be sold to someone with the middle Eastern link..
Be it a consortia or a ruling party or something.

Then we can Continue the sportswashing discussions for ever
And what a fun/predictiable/obvious/pointless/wash&repeat/boring diatribe laced with equal amounts of hypocracy/denial/apathy and lastly....Anger that will be. I don't know about you @Atlas but I'm excited.... ;)

Every single thing about this world cup has been sports washing and it shouldnt be remembered for anything else than the sham that it is
Sports washing and politics will soon be forgotten - FIFA know this well which is why negative media coverage & the noise around this WC isn't a major concern for them. This will forever be known as the 'Messi World Cup'.

Not to worry m, as well as wanting to start a 32 Club World Cup as soon as possible, Infantino is floating the idea of running the World Cup every 3 years.

Apparentlyvthe Saudi’s are quite keen to host 2030 - or 2029 as it might be.

Guaranteed the Saudi’s get it - China will probably want the one after (whenever it is).

Maybe get in back in Europe by 2040, unless the UAE don’t fancy being outdone by their “neighbours”.

Not to worry m, as well as wanting to start a 32 Club World Cup as soon as possible, Infantino is floating the idea of running the World Cup every 3 years.

Apparentlyvthe Saudi’s are quite keen to host 2030 - or 2029 as it might be.

Guaranteed the Saudi’s get it - China will probably want the one after (whenever it is).

Maybe get in back in Europe by 2040, unless the UAE don’t fancy being outdone by their “neighbours”.

The confirmed bids for 2030 as of now are:

(1) Spain - Portugal - Ukraine
(2) Morocco
(3) Uruguay - Argentina - Chile - Paraguay

Any of these would be great, in my opinion, especially with the performance of Morocco and Argentina this time round.

Seems like Saudi Arabia is planning a joint bid with Greece and Egypt , probably with Tsimikas and Salah as the mascots.

I'm not sure why bids from certain countries are described as sports-washing and others not. I don't suppose any country is bidding to spend billions of dollars for the love of football. Sports sponsorship and hosting has always been about politics, and promoting the location. It's up to FIFA to determine which location also best serves the interests of the football community, which is the real problem. That said, the corruption rampant in the selection process doesn't make it any more "sports-washing" than it has always been.

(2) Morocco

Any of these would be great, in my opinion, especially with the performance of Morocco and Argentina this time round.

Seems like Saudi Arabia is planning a joint bid with Greece and Egypt , probably with Tsimikas and Salah as the mascots.

I'm not sure why bids from certain countries are described as sports-washing and others not. I don't suppose any country is bidding to spend billions of dollars for the love of football. Sports sponsorship and hosting has always been about politics, and promoting the location. It's up to FIFA to determine which location also best serves the interests of the football community, which is the real problem. That said, the corruption rampant in the selection process doesn't make it any more "sports-washing" than it has always been.

There should be a joint UK & Ireland bid - that’s really where it should be held in 2030.

There should be a joint UK & Ireland bid - that’s really where it should be held in 2030.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60285799

[article]The UK and Republic of Ireland football associations have agreed not to bid for the 2030 World Cup.

They will instead focus on a joint bid to host Euro 2028.

The decision comes after the UK government committed £2.8m to a feasibility study into the bid.

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee chair Julian Knight had previously described the prospective World Cup bid as a "giant, expensive vanity project".

On Monday he said: "It's unacceptable that £2.8m in taxpayer money was wasted on a pipe dream that was clearly doomed from the start. Football in the UK needs to sort out its reputation at home before we can go after the biggest tournament."

The feasibility study included an analysis of the economic impact, the political football landscape and the likely costs of hosting major international tournaments.

Following the study, the football associations of the Republic of Ireland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland will focus on an official bid to host Uefa Euro 2028.[/article]

A pity, in my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60285799

[article]The UK and Republic of Ireland football associations have agreed not to bid for the 2030 World Cup.

They will instead focus on a joint bid to host Euro 2028.

The decision comes after the UK government committed £2.8m to a feasibility study into the bid.

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee chair Julian Knight had previously described the prospective World Cup bid as a "giant, expensive vanity project".

On Monday he said: "It's unacceptable that £2.8m in taxpayer money was wasted on a pipe dream that was clearly doomed from the start. Football in the UK needs to sort out its reputation at home before we can go after the biggest tournament."

The feasibility study included an analysis of the economic impact, the political football landscape and the likely costs of hosting major international tournaments.

Following the study, the football associations of the Republic of Ireland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland will focus on an official bid to host Uefa Euro 2028.[/article]

A pity, in my opinion.

Yeah - didn’t they just host the Euro’s “mostly”.

I think lfc will be sold to someone with the middle Eastern link..
Be it a consortia or a ruling party or something.

Then we can Continue the sportswashing discussions for ever
Well, we had in the most part got tired of the tight-fisted Americans who constantly watched their pennies so the alternative is the extravagant sheikhs.

If that happens, I hope they still play the games at like 4AM in morning to fuck with you.

(2) Morocco

I'd love it to be in Morocco. Spain and Portugal just about makes sense.. the rest of them are ridiculous.. Why is Ukraine lumped in that Spain/Portugal bid... it's 3 hour flight away. The third option, ok they are neighbouring countries but again it's loads of flights to get anywhere. Lol at Saudi/Egypt/Greece.. what kinda odd mix is that.

I've actually enjoyed watching the football first time in ages, I've been sportswashed.

I'd love it to be in Morocco. Spain and Portugal just about makes sense.. the rest of them are ridiculous.. Why is Ukraine lumped in that Spain/Portugal bid... it's 3 hour flight away. The third option, ok they are neighbouring countries but again it's loads of flights to get anywhere. Lol at Saudi/Egypt/Greece.. what kinda odd mix is that.

I've actually enjoyed watching the football first time in ages, I've been sportswashed.
Yeah, I'd love for it to be in Morocco. Would also bring in a lot of money to people in need in that country.

The Saudi Egypt Greece is probably something related to annoying Erdogan. Greece has been buttering up to Egypt and some other countries lately to annoy him. I believe the Saudis aren't too keen on him either.

I think the fact from next WC it’s 64 teams I think so co hosting makes it almost mandatory but does mean it becomes hard logistically for the fans to get around.
One major positive about Qatar was the location, all stadiums were easy to get around and you could attend 2 games in the same day but that will not be possible going forward.
I can’t realistically ever see it in Aus or NZ due to FIFA pandering to the global game and money they would need bribing to happen.
Not a fan of USA, Canada and Mexico either purely for fan logistics.
UK and Ireland would have been amazing from a selfish point of view.

The Saudi Egypt Greece is probably something related to annoying Erdogan. Greece has been buttering up to Egypt and some other countries lately to annoy him. I believe the Saudis aren't too keen on him either.

Keep politics out of football

Oh yeah...well I'm thinking hotels, small shops etc.

Nah, @LeTallecWiz is right. If you look at the economic and tourism benefits of holding such large events, they are often overstated. The amount of money the host country spends, there is no return which matches that. They could have used that money directly to benefit the local residents. There is the intangible benefit for countries like Brazil and Qatar to showcase to the world that "they have arrived" but that can be done in more effective ways.

Even in places like US, there is now a growing number of folks who are against public spending on stadiums or stadium enhancements. In places like Vegas and LA, the new Raiders and Rams stadium spending makes sense. But the taxpayer funding of part of Buffalo Bill's new stadium received a lot of criticism in NY. I remember reading an article where they surveyed tons of NY state residents and less than 20% of respondents (including those living in Buffalo) approved of using government funding for new stadium or existing stadium enhancements.

Nah, @LeTallecWiz is right. If you look at the economic and tourism benefits of holding such large events, they are often overstated. The amount of money the host country spends, there is no return which matches that. They could have used that money directly to benefit the local residents. There is the intangible benefit for countries like Brazil and Qatar to showcase to the world that "they have arrived" but that can be done in more effective ways.

Even in places like US, there is now a growing number of folks who are against public spending on stadiums or stadium enhancements. In places like Vegas and LA, the new Raiders and Rams stadium spending makes sense. But the taxpayer funding of part of Buffalo Bill's new stadium received a lot of criticism in NY. I remember reading an article where they surveyed tons of NY state residents and less than 20% of respondents (including those living in Buffalo) approved of using government funding for new stadium or existing stadium enhancements.

It's not just big sports in the USA too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/sports/baseball/pawtucket-worcester-red-sox.html

These lot fucked out of my state and moved to massachusetts. They are a minor league team that is getting a $157 million stadium.

In the furore that followed from the baseball loving traditionalists, as well as others braying about anti business, we are getting a second division (basically) football team , and after costs rose during inflation, it'll cost us $50 million, and the whole project will approach the costs of the above. More and more of the funding is just going to the stadium, which, like all of them, is pitched as this grand revitalization of the whole area. None of the analysis shows it is a good investment either.

Oh, and the stadium we have, unused, and characterful? Like everything else worth a shit in the United States for the public good, it was built by the WPA, for about 1/8th the cost and was a small part of the commie employ of millions of people who were out of work. Course, it didn't have all the profit spinning doo dads all over it. It was just a place that people could cheaply watch games. What a fucking dumb idea!

Last edited:

I'm not quite with you on that simply because the Govt. wouldn't spend that amount of money on local businesses and infrastructure without the WC / Euros etc. They'd spend it on something else instead that likely wouldn't benefit as many people or at least those at ground level.

Though definitely agree on the local residents not approving of spending on major sports club facilities, they should fund themselves, there is no way a sports club paying umpteen millions to playing staff should seek public funds for anything. If the money went to grass roots that would be a different question, of course, and likely result in a far different response.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom