• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Darwin evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's far too early to make any long term predictions obviously, he's only played what 60 mins split across 2 games. But let's be honest he's looked way off the pace so far. No biggie it's preseason and he's new to the team

You know what ? - none of us should worry, we know what he can do - as he did it against us, and it was not a one off thing for him last season. I could not give a shit if the guy did not touch the ball in the 90 minutes or whatever he played in these pre-season games. But seriously, lets just give him 5 actual PL games before we even make any judgement. I think he will be brilliant for us when the season starts.

It took Nunez a whole season to adapt to the Portuguese league. Fabs and Robertson had to wait months before getting proper playing time.

What we need is a player like Adama to fire in those crosses from the right

To be fair, if Adama swings one in from Goodison, it might come down to head height by the time it reaches Anfield.

You know what ? - none of us should worry, we know what he can do - as he did it against us, and it was not a one off thing for him last season. I could not give a shit if the guy did not touch the ball in the 90 minutes or whatever he played in these pre-season games. But seriously, lets just give him 5 actual PL games before we even make any judgement. I think he will be brilliant for us when the season starts.

I think it might take him a while to accumulate those 5 PL starts. He's looked like he may get the 4 months on the bench treatment that some signings get when they struggle to get onto Klopps wavelength.

Yeah, cant believe he hasnt adapted yet after being with the team for 9 days, not speaking English, flying straight to Bangkok and Singapore and playing 60 mins of pre season football so far.

He should be a full on scouser by now and on the same wave length as the rest of the team.

Yeah, cant believe he hasnt adapted yet after being with the team for 9 days, not speaking English, flying straight to Bangkok and Singapore and playing 60 mins of pre season football so far.

He should be a full on scouser by now and on the same wave length as the rest of the team.
We I think he has improved from the utd to the Palace game. It was so obvious that he has been working on his breathing or maybe he genuinely has asthma and we just happened to have a spare inhaler lying around

@Hansern I know that English isn’t your first language mate - but that was a joke. Darwin. Not adapting to change. Because evolution is all about oh never mind.

He cost just €4.5m though. Darwin will have to cope with the pressure of his price tag.

Untitled.jpg

^^^

@rurikbird

It was clearly a 4-3-3. The group delight at Nunez's 2nd goal (and 1st from open play) was great to see. Even Mo had a huge smile.

Nunez could have had another headed goal (@ 8:30 below) and Elliot too missed a good headed chance.

I've mentioned before how good Nunez is at poaching goals, or should I say 6 yd box player, (stats here : http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/the-darwin-evolution.188705/page-2#post-2151836 ) and his 3rd highlighted that. He's a much better poacher than anyone we've had for a long time.

This is a 9+ mins highlights (so not just the goals) :

^^^

@rurikbird

It was clearly a 4-3-3. The group delight at Nunez's 2nd goal (and 1st from open play) was great to see. Even Mo had a huge smile.

Nunez could have had another headed goal (@ 8:30 below) and Elliot too missed a good headed chance.

I've mentioned before how good Nunez is at poaching goals, or should I say 6 yd box player, (stats here : http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/the-darwin-evolution.188705/page-2#post-2151836 ) and his 3rd highlighted that. He's a much better poacher than anyone we've had for a long time.

This is a 9+ mins highlights (so not just the goals) :

Sounds like the complete opposite of what we've had for the longest time. A trio of forwards who craft chances out of thin air and make the impossible possible, but don't take all the simple chances.

For all the Darwin haterz.....

inbetweeners-jay-right-knob-gif-22530569
[parsehtml]<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="22530569" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.80791" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/inbetweeners-jay-right-knob-gif-22530569">Inbetweeners Jay GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/inbetweeners-gifs">Inbetweeners GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>[/parsehtml]
Fz2vpC8ZD9DgkFsW9

It was a good half and the 2nd and 3rd goal, plus the header that was saved showed what he's got in his locker. He definitely has an instinct to take up good positions in and around the 6 yard box and he knows how to not overcomplicate a finish. If he sticks his toe or head on anything that goes into that area he's going to get alot of goals, because he'll be there every time. The fourth goal was a tired shot that the keeper fucked up on, any other day and it's not a goal, but that's not a criticism of Nunez, everything just went right for him last night. By comparison, the cool finish for the second goal showed he knows how to place a shot in the bottom corner - no fuss, clinical.

The downside and where Klopp has to work on him is with his passing and first touch. For a side that are great at quick, one touch passing I think he will frustrate us a little in his quite rusty build up play. He gives the ball away a lot and loses control when trying to lay off passes quickly. But the instinct is there to play the correct pass, it's just the execution that needs work, and he's in the best hands to improve on that. It's something that will turn his raw potential into him becoming a quality forward, as he has the hold up play, the finishing ability, plus the pace to be the complete striker. He'll take a bit of indulgence and arguably some adjusting to, from us as a team.

Last edited:
I wasn't one of those writing him off after couple of games, nor do I think he is the next Suarez after 4 goal haul.
I honestly think and I do hope I am wrong, people will need to be patient with him, it will take him at least half a season to come good.

So are the doubters still doubters?
The positions he took up around the box, and the way he finished was super encouraging, but I still think he looks awkward in the team, but thats to be expected, as the thread Rurik posted explains, we've got to adapt to him as a team, and hes got to adapt to us, when that happens he's gonna click like Torres mark 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom