• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

We might get £60m from Chelsea or elsewhere for him. If you put aside the injury then Nkunku would have been a player more in keeping with the Klopp Liverpool we knew.

I agree that we should see what Slot can do with him. Maybe he can create patterns of play that give Nunez a better chance of scoring rather than just lots of different types of chances. It's easy to pour scorn on that idea, but he is decent with his head so more crosses would be welcome. If we can also create those chances from the half-space by line, cutting it back into the box (which City do all the damn time) then you can create chances that are impossible even for Donkey to miss. I maintain that the incorrect use of Trent and Roberson has damaged the team as a whole, but Nunez's prospects to some extent. But yeah, if a decent offer comes in the club should accept and invest in a more polished player. The issue we have is Salah needs to go, and Diaz likely wants to go, so there's only so much you can do in one window.

The solution, in my mind, is to play him further from goal

Darwin has a gift, which that he can quickly shape himself to whack the ball with incredible speed and power

He has a problem, which is that he cannot understand that there is usually a better option than whacking the ball with speed and power

Play him on the wings or just outside the box, where power in the shot generates more advantage then placement. Jota can slot in the rebound when the keepr blocks it.

(alternatively sell him)
When we first bought him I made a post on the breakdown of his goals (esp. in his high scoring season). Over 50% came from within 6m. And I was excited thinking about the passes coming in from Robbo and esp. Trent high up on our RW. How was I to know Trent would become a midfielder ?

We might get £60m from Chelsea or elsewhere for him. If you put aside the injury then Nkunku would have been a player more in keeping with the Klopp Liverpool we knew.

I agree that we should see what Slot can do with him. Maybe he can create patterns of play that give Nunez a better chance of scoring rather than just lots of different types of chances. It's easy to pour scorn on that idea, but he is decent with his head so more crosses would be welcome. If we can also create those chances from the half-space by line, cutting it back into the box (which City do all the damn time) then you can create chances that are impossible even for Donkey to miss. I maintain that the incorrect use of Trent and Roberson has damaged the team as a whole, but Nunez's prospects to some extent. But yeah, if a decent offer comes in the club should accept and invest in a more polished player. The issue we have is Salah needs to go, and Diaz likely wants to go, so there's only so much you can do in one window.
Absolutely this. See my post above.

I think we only sell Salah of the forwards this summer. Diaz stays.

Given “The Slut” apparently absolutely loves wingers and is keen for his “9” to drop deep to support midfield - I think we’re likely to see Gakpo & Jota occupy the central position with Diaz staying and bring critical to Slut’s setup - and Nunez shifting back to the left wing.

Actually, I think we’ll look for a new number 9.

I’d say Toney would be a possibility, but Edwards will have someone cheaper in mind.

Given “The Slut” apparently absolutely loves wingers and is keen for his “9” to drop deep to support midfield - I think we’re likely to see Gakpo & Jota occupy the central position with Diaz staying and bring critical to Slut’s setup - and Nunez shifting back to the left wing.

Actually, I think we’ll look for a new number 9.

I’d say Toney would be a possibility, but Edwards will have someone cheaper in mind.

Toney wouldnt be a good fit for us though.

Not sure if he would fit into a Slutty team. 28 years and appaz his wage demands 200k + per week.

That’s kind of why I said Edwards would likely have something else in mind - playing wise I think he’d be interesting - strong, good on the ball and can finish - exactly what we need.

I agree thought, too old, cost to much - wouldn’t imagine he’d command £200k in wages though, but he’d still want a decent was - £120k would be more likely - he’ll be on fuck all at Brentford.

From statistical point of view, he has been improving across the seasons

View: https://twitter.com/scottjwillis/status/1783570644338372887

View: https://twitter.com/scottjwillis/status/1783845696397037925

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled3.jpg

Yeah, critical of Darwin as I am - I’m all for keeping him - I just would have him on the left or the bench, not starting through the middle.

It's silly talk to think of selling him for something like 50 million. He's worth more than that if you simply go by his statistical production.

The fact of the matter is apart from Haaland, Mbappe and Lautaro, there aren't any great pure strikers around at the moment.

All of Darwin's potential rivals in his age bracket and experience have shown very similar statistical production, and haven't kicked on and reached the Haaland, Mbappe tier:

Darwin - 18 goals, 13 assists
Vlahovic - 17 goals, 3 assists
Osimhen - 15 goals, 4 assists
Isak - 21 goals, 1 assist
Jonathan David - 24 goals, 7 assists

The only outliers this season across Europe are Watkins and Gyokeres, both of whom seem to be having the best statistical year of their careers. Are they definitively in the say Lautaro tier of players? Doubt anyone would say so. So Darwin's definitely part of this second tier, and the going market rate for that player has been 80-100 million. So we can't even say we really overpaid.

The fact of the matter is that for a good 60% of the season, he showed significant improvement from last year. Yeah he's really stunk this final third of the season, but then so has most of the squad.

Is he going to ever reach the Haaland, Mbappe tier? No - but there's a good chance he'll produce a season or two that the likes of Watkins and Gyokeres are producing this year. That's good enough provided you find another world class attacker as well. Finding that second player (to replace Salah) needs to be the focus - not replacing Darwin.

Kudus, Olise, Raphina
Kudus - 7 goals 4 assists in roughly the same as Nunez's minutes (so 4 goals and 4 assists less)

Raphina - 9 goals 11 assists in ca. 1,700 mins (ca. 300-400 mins less than Nunez). But no way in earth Barca would sell him. Why would they? And that is in Spain. And that was 10+12 in nearly 3,000 mins last season. Plus 11+3 in nearly 3,000 mins (full season) in the PL.

Olise - 7 goals 4 assists in only 924 mins. He looks exciting but didn't Palace just stick a £60-70m tag on him?

It's silly talk to think of selling him for something like 50 million. He's worth more than that if you simply go by his statistical production.

The fact of the matter is apart from Haaland, Mbappe and Lautaro, there aren't any great pure strikers around at the moment.

All of Darwin's potential rivals in his age bracket and experience have shown very similar statistical production, and haven't kicked on and reached the Haaland, Mbappe tier:

Darwin - 18 goals, 13 assists
Vlahovic - 17 goals, 3 assists
Osimhen - 15 goals, 4 assists
Isak - 21 goals, 1 assist
Jonathan David - 24 goals, 7 assists

The only outliers this season across Europe are Watkins and Gyokeres, both of whom seem to be having the best statistical year of their careers. Are they definitively in the say Lautaro tier of players? Doubt anyone would say so. So Darwin's definitely part of this second tier, and the going market rate for that player has been 80-100 million. So we can't even say we really overpaid.

The fact of the matter is that for a good 60% of the season, he showed significant improvement from last year. Yeah he's really stunk this final third of the season, but then so has most of the squad.

Is he going to ever reach the Haaland, Mbappe tier? No - but there's a good chance he'll produce a season or two that the likes of Watkins and Gyokeres are producing this year. That's good enough provided you find another world class attacker as well. Finding that second player (to replace Salah) needs to be the focus - not replacing Darwin.
Yeah I've said this before. Nunez is effectively the second striker / winger in the team. He's not the lead striker. And penalties absolutely need to be taken into account. In which case he'd have more goals (16-12) than Salah with roughly the same assists in roughly the same minutes.
I like Tomas's Olise suggestion though.

Last edited:
Kudus - 7 goals 4 assists in roughly the same as Nunez's minutes (so 4 goals and 4 assists less)

Raphina - 9 goals 11 assists in ca. 1,700 mins (ca. 300-400 mins less than Nunez). But no way in earth Barca would sell him. Why would they? And that is in Spain. And that was 10+12 in nearly 3,000 mins last season. Plus 11+3 in nearly 3,000 mins (full season) in the PL.

Olise - 7 goals 4 assists in only 924 mins. He looks exciting but didn't Palace just stick a £60-70m tag on him?

I've seen places suggest that Barca will sell Raphinha because they need to sell to buy to fit under La Liga's spending limits.

Back
Top Bottom