• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gravy Train

I listen to ANFIELD index daily red podcast and the presenter Dave Hendrick there is one of those waking football manager types. I personally never heard of this player before. But every time we were linked with him in the news, the presenter Dave was vehemently against signing him.

He rated him, and admitted he had a potential high ceiling, but said that at the moment Curtis Jones was the superior player and didn't understand why we were linked with him because it would take a lot of work to mould him. He cites his laziness and lack of defensive work as one of the main character flaws.

So far he's been ok, but I'm worried, if you can't get up for a game against Arsenal in an important game when Jurgen Klopp is manager then what is it going to take?

I listen to ANFIELD index daily red podcast and the presenter Dave Hendrick there is one of those waking football manager types. I personally never heard of this player before. But every time we were linked with him in the news, the presenter Dave was vehemently against signing him.

He rated him, and admitted he had a potential high ceiling, but said that at the moment Curtis Jones was the superior player and didn't understand why we were linked with him because it would take a lot of work to mould him. He cites his laziness and lack of defensive work as one of the main character flaws.

So far he's been ok, but I'm worried, if you can't get up for a game against Arsenal in an important game when Jurgen Klopp is manager then what is it going to take?

Nov 23

Dec 23

Feb 24

This thread isn't blaming him for the arsenal game. Its critiquing his performances, pretty much since September.

i've been very clear in saying that
To be honest - I think he plays better on the left of midfield, what Klopp should have done was put Curtis on the right, who has played on that side a couple of seasons ago where we drew 2-2- with City at home. Curtis is a baller, so he would have been able to cope on RCM side. I think both Gakpo, and Gravy struggle on the right,

I don't know about you guys, but maybe it's a good thing - we have lost a game and there are loads of games to play yet, so it kind of is a reset where we "go again" on another unbeaten/no-draw run. We need at least 9 points from the next 3 games. The way the Arsenal team were celebrating it kind of suggests they were well stressed over that game and it was a relief for them to get over it with a win, when really they just beat a team we have been doubting as actual Liverpool fans for most of this season.

It's a strange one, I look at him and he seems to lack intensity for one, and also there is something about him that makes me wonder, is he just generally lost and don't know what the fuck to do ? - it's like the game just went by him and he was like no where to be seen, there is also the issue with Mac10 - yes he has had a couple of really good games and we gave him his flowers, but yesterday he was just not releasing the ball quick enough for a lot of that game, and knowing how hard he was being pressed - still not releasing the ball or looking for a pass. Have to admit Arsenal did a very good job blocking out all the channels but he needed to do better.

THE NOTEBOOK: Jurgen Klopp saw Arsenal's opener coming, while Liverpool stars returned from injury... and former Gunners were treated to thrilling 3-1 victory at the Emirates

Klopp Saw It Coming
Jurgen Klopp clearly saw it coming. As Arsenal played through Liverpool’s press in the seconds before Bukayo Saka opened the scoring, Klopp began frantically shaking his head.

Ryan Gravenberch steamed towards the ball to leave a giant hole behind him that Arsenal ruthlessly exploited.

This thread isn't blaming him for the arsenal game. Its critiquing his performances, pretty much since September.

i've been very clear in saying that
I said it when we bought OAC, and I say it now, Gravenberch is "The Ox" 2.0... Excpect the only difference between them are injuries, and the fact that at least AOC was good for ten minutes a game...
Even Jurgen Klopp can not polish shit and turn into gold

Last edited:
I said it when we bought OAC, and I say it now, Gravenberch is "The Ox" 2.0... Excpect the only difference between them are injuries, and the fact that at least AOC was good for ten minutes a game...
Even Jurgen Klopp can not polish shit and turn into gold
Sorry but Ox was good whenever he played for us, did a good job both attacking and knew what was required. The problem with Gravy is quite simple - he is half asleep and a complete lack of intensity in his game play.

Sorry but Ox was good whenever he played for us, did a good job both attacking and knew what was required. The problem with Gravy is quite simple - he is half asleep and a complete lack of intensity in his game play.
What?!

One of his better games of the season today but I think this illustrates how we have to take into account the overall tactics when judging the individual performance. In this game, Gravenberch played in his favoured position as the left-sided CM (clearly more comfortable there than at RCM), but more importantly, his qualities - effortless athleticism, ability to drive with the ball etc - were perfectly complimentary to the pairing of Endo and MacAllister who provided the diligence and positioning that Gravenberch lacks, but themselves lack exactly the qualities that he brings.

I would argue that if Endo and Macca continue to start games together as a pair, then Gravenberch is the best player to complement them in the midfield 3: slightly better than the more risk-averse Jones (who works better with Macca as the 6), certainly better than Elliott (3 short-arse CMs won’t work in the Premier League) and at least on par with Szoboszlai. He wasn’t selected from the start, but he turned out to be key in making our midfield balanced and flowing in this game.

Last edited:
Thought he was fucking fabulous when he came on. Just needs to impose himself exactly like that in more games than not and he'll be fine......the ability is all there. Not going to get into the whole LCM/RCM argument, his contribution for Mac's goal came from great work on the right. Players need to be given that freedom to drift and pop up in different areas of the pitch. Diaz again another fine example, that assist at the end for Gakpo probably doesn't come if he's hugging the touchline for 90mins straight. Football is all about finding space and exploiting it at the right moments.

He was ok today, but was that a £150k/week performance? Obviously, not. He’s come into our squad as a paid equivalent to Macca and Szobo. He’s nowhere near that. He’s 21 so loads of time to aclimatise, but his lack of industry out of possession is startling.

He may turn out to be a great signing but at the moment the combination of salary and being overseas from next season means he’s not looking to me to be worthwhile

Some people really do scrape at the bottom of the barrel to find any old shit to whine and cry about, even if it's been used a dozen times over.

One of his better games of the season today but I think this illustrates how we have to take into account the overall tactics when judging the individual performance. In this game, Gravenberch played in his favoured position as the left-sided CM (clearly more comfortable there than at RCM), but more importantly, his qualities - effortless athleticism, ability to drive with the ball etc - were perfectly complimentary to the pairing of Endo and MacAllister who provided the diligence and positioning that Gravenberch lacks, but themselves lack exactly the qualities that he brings.

I would argue that if Endo and Macca continue to start games together as a pair, then Gravenberch is the best player to complement them in the midfield 3: slightly better than the more risk-averse Jones (who works better with Macca as the 6), certainly better than Elliott (3 short-arse CMs won’t work in the Premier League) and at least on par with Szoboszlai. He wasn’t selected from the start, but he turned out to be key in making our midfield balanced and flowing in this game.

I agree about the midfield set up with Endo & Mac.

I’d add that he looks better with a traditional LB in Robbo who can provide width for Diaz rather than Gravy. Jones is very good at slipping out wide, Gravy is better driving in more central.

In the first half we had Diaz & Jota at times tucking in and dropping back into midfield to help Jones while Mac A dropped deep alongside Endo.

2nd half Bradley started to invert beside Endo which allowed Mac to push further up with Diaz attacking from the wide areas - this set up worked better for Gravy as he could stay central and attack through the left half space which I think is where he is most effective.

The Mac A goal was a prime example of his good work in the centre as it was him that fed Salah for the assist to Mac.

He’s clearly still finding his feet in the Klopp lineup.

He also can work well with Harvey beside him, as Harvey offers something different but complimentary.

That's 2 games back to back where he's started to show a little about himself. Hopefully it continues
Played on the left with Endo behind. Makes a diff to be in your preferred position with solid support when you are learning the ropes

Played on the left with Endo behind. Makes a diff to be in your preferred position with solid support when you are learning the ropes
Yeah I mentioned this the first time he played, and bombed, on the right. Play him in his preferred position but not RM, as even Elliott is better on the right.

Former Liverpool star Dirk Kuyt insists Ryan Gravenberch will come good.

The Holland midfielder has been in and out of the starting XI since his summer arrival from Bayern Munich.

Kuyt told the Liverpool Echo: "I really think he has made a good impression, first of all, when he joined. A lot of fans like him as a player. At Ajax he was one of the big talents of the country and made an early step to Bayern Munich and unfortunately he didn't get the playing time he wanted there but I think he can be a huge player for Liverpool.

"As you say, there are a lot of people who can play in his position as well and I think he needs to keep pushing himself and I think the games will come up because the most important months of the season are coming up and I think he will be right there.

"I think Gravenberch is a guy who has a lot of ability on the ball but also he can run a lot as well. He always looks to me like he is never tired, so he is also a box-to-box player. It is difficult to compare him with anybody but he is definitely a player in the team that don't Liverpool don't really have in the team. This type of playing style.

"It is difficult to compare him with someone but I think his physical strength is great, his ability on the ball is great and I think he can score goals but if the team needs him to defend he can as well, so he is a multi-functional midfielder in my opinion."

‘Never tired’??? It’s probably the one glaring deficit in Grav’s game this season - his tendency to tire markedly after 60-70 mins in our system.

Love Kuyt but he’s either….

1) Watching a different player
2) Thick as shite
3) Ridiculously biased towards Dutch players
4) 1, 2 and 3

Back
Top Bottom