• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This new striker in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mors

Well-Known
Where is he going to play to solve all our problems? Rodgers formation, much like Rafa's, is one upfront, and then these mystical goal scoring wing forwards.
If we sign a 'goalscorer' in Jan, does he go upfront and then we push Suarez out of position? I can't see us going 442.
I can't see how Dempsey would have fitted in if we'd have got him.

I think we've got more problems than a goal scoring striker, the goals need to be spread out more between the front 6. And at the moment, Sterling, Suso, Gerrard, Allen and Shelvey don't look like scoring for toffee.

--------------Striker--------------
Suarez-------------------Sterling

Thats how i see it. Whether luis is on the left or right wont matter, as he'll flit about and get in the usual dangerous positions

--------------Striker--------------
Suarez-------------------Sterling

Thats how i see it. Whether luis is on the left or right wont matter, as he'll flit about and get in the usual dangerous positions

I'm not sure how much damage he can do from that position though mate, as he's going to have play fairly wide and cut in, spending plenty of time getting chalk on his boots, and even having to track back maybe. I think he does most of his damage from being in the middle and inside the box.

I presume the way you see it though, is the only way Rodgers can see it. But with scoring regularly at the moment, does he deserve to be pushed out there into a similar role as Sterling?

I think so

He did most of his best work for ajax in those positions, and he regularly was a game changer still. Hes not going to stick to the wing, which then relies on the full backs pressing further up to overlap and give the width on that side.

Authetntic winger on 1 side, luis on the other

I'm fairly certain that Luis might be able to dribble infield the odd time (meging 4 or so players in the process).

Huntelaar's the only stand out candidate I've heard to date. And I don't know if he's affordable or available.

I fail to see a really top class player either wishing to join a club competing outside the CL or being persuaded of the 'projects' merits by Brendan Rodgers even if we had the money, 30m+?

Huntelaar's the only stand out candidate I've heard to date. And I don't know if he's affordable or available.

I fail to see a really top class player either wishing to join a club competing outside the CL or being persuaded of the 'projects' merits by Brendan Rodgers even if we had the money, 30m+?

Darren Bent?

Ok that's pushing the boundaries of top class.

*runs and takes cover*

The Echo ran the Walcott story today, so I think we'll be targeting him if he doesnt sign a new contract.

That worries me. The team surely needs - and has needed now for several years - another striker who is proven, ruthless and reliable. Walcott is a winger who is only inclined to move because he wants to be given the chance to play as a centre forward, and his agent is only inclined to push him out because he wants to negotiate a huge hike in his wages. So that's an expensive gamble. If Walcott comes in addition to a proven striker then great, because I like him and find the prospect of any changes to his game intriguing, but this is surely not the time to take risks with a very limited budget.

Walcott on 100k a week or something stupid is the kind of risk we can do without, I agree.

Other teams like Newcastle and Swansea have shown you can pick up goal scorers for reasonable sums of money.

walcott has the advantage of being able to play across the front line of three, so will provide more options for our limited squad. for the right price he maybe a gamble worth going for, although some say zaha is a better option!

Walcott on 100k a week or something stupid is the kind of risk we can do without, I agree.

Other teams like Newcastle and Swansea have shown you can pick up goal scorers for reasonable sums of money.

Ba, Cisse, Michu are all good examples of why Walcott can fuck riiiiiight offffff.

Red M: I don't agree that Walcott has that advantage. He claims to have, because as macca rightly says he's a wannabe striker, but (a) he's had chances down the middle at the Arse in his time and never taken them, and (b) I don't think I've ever seen him even make a run down the left, let alone play left side for a whole game or series of games. He could do us a job as the right-sided attacker in Rodgers' front three but, if he doesn't want to play there, what's the point?

Red M: I don't agree that Walcott has that advantage. He claims to have, because as macca rightly says he's a wannabe striker, but (a) he's had chances down the middle at the Arse in his time and never taken them, and (b) I don't think I've ever seen him even make a run down the left, let alone play left side for a whole game or series of games. He could do us a job as the right-sided attacker in Rodgers' front three but, if he doesn't want to play there, what's the point?
I'm not advocating we sign him as a matter of priority, but I think that analysis is a little harsh. He DOES score goals, something we have a problem with. He has not been given a consistent role in the middle as he would like, the odd game here and there is not enough, hence his desire to leave. He can do damage on the left, of that I am sure. However, as others have mentioned there maybe better options in light of wages + fee.

Perhaps, but I'd want something rather more concrete from someone who's been around as long as he has and would cost as much as he would.

Agreed, yes. Of course, he's still pretty young, but he's only really impressed me greatly late in games when most tactics have gone out the window.

Red M: I don't agree that Walcott has that advantage. He claims to have, because as macca rightly says he's a wannabe striker, but (a) he's had chances down the middle at the Arse in his time and never taken them .....

Hmmm over the past 1.5 seasons he's scored 18 goals from probably less than half Arsenal's matches, we've only one player who can match that (can he) ? That's 14 less than RvP scored and he started every match he was fit for.

I'd love that sort of pace through the middle.

Where would Borini fit? Him on the left, Walcott on the right and Suarez in the middle? But Walcott wants to be in the middle. So Walcott in the middle, Suarez on the right and Borini on the left? The three would certainly be mobile and fluid, but would they be incisive? I do think we need a proper goal poacher.

Where would Borini fit? Him on the left, Walcott on the right and Suarez in the middle? But Walcott wants to be in the middle. So Walcott in the middle, Suarez on the right and Borini on the left? The three would certainly be mobile and fluid, but would they be incisive? I do think we need a proper goal poacher.
they are a dying breed - one which I think BR would not appreciate if they did little outside the box. Barca have demonstrated you don't need a conventional striker, something which I think BR wants to follow. A shame, as I think we need one. a 22yr old Robbie Fowler would be very nice.

Yes, I know what you mean. Maybe get Walcott and an older striker for the bench. Anything to offer a couple more options.

Yes, I know what you mean. Maybe get Walcott and an older striker for the bench. Anything to offer a couple more options.
Think this would be one of the better options.

Versatility in Walcott and experience in another

I'd still get Darren Bent if the price is right

they are a dying breed - one which I think BR would not appreciate if they did little outside the box. Barca have demonstrated you don't need a conventional striker, something which I think BR wants to follow. A shame, as I think we need one. a 22yr old Robbie Fowler would be very nice.
Barca have proven that David Villa and Messi can get 100 goals between them per season. Barca should never be used as an example for our side or types of players to get.

Walcott has only started 3 games in the league, but is their top scorer with 7 goals.
Even Wenger has said he'll end up playing centraly.

I'd sign him in a hearbeat. Scores, creates goals and is pacey as fuck.

Walcott has only started 3 games in the league, but is their top scorer with 7 goals.
Even Wenger has said he'll end up playing centraly.

I'd sign him in a hearbeat. Scores, creates goals and is pacey as fuck.

I agree. He's got a touch of the Henry about him - I think he'll flourish for an extended run in the middle.

I've thought for a while that Walcott would probably end up leaving Arsenal and going to a mid/lower-half-of-the-table club, where he'd be turned into a striker.

I didn't expect us to be that club . . .

Having said that, I also thought he'd do quite well - his pace is phenomenal and he's got a fairly decent eye for goal, hasn't he?

I dunno, I can't profess to have seen that much of him, but what I've seen he seems more of a striker than a winger - he seems better at scoring goals than delivering a final ball, and he strikes me as more of an instinctive than an intelligent player, I reckon he could do a stint up front.

The only issue for me would be, I always imagined at this hypothetical 'lesser' side, he'd be playing for a team that other teams didn't feel the need to drop deep against, and so he'd get space playing off the last man. Would he get that here? Perhaps not. Would he still be able to offer something? Well, he seems to have done okay at Arsenal, even if he hasn't reached the potential some thought he would.

For the right price, I can't see there's a great deal to lose - he's still young, he knows the league, he can score and he's FUCKING quick, play through the middle or out wide, what's not to like (apart from the wages) at the right price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom