• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This new striker in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saldado please. He's been quiet this season but he's a classy striker in front of goal.

Hmmm over the past 1.5 seasons he's scored 18 goals from probably less than half Arsenal's matches, we've only one player who can match that (can he) ? That's 14 less than RvP scored and he started every match he was fit for.

I'd love that sort of pace through the middle.

Except that Walcott hasn't been playing through the middle during that period, but predominantly on the right as per. I said in the post you quoted from that I can see him doing a job on the right for us, and if he himself were happy with that I'd be OK with us signing him. He won't be, so I'm not.

The only issue for me would be, I always imagined at this hypothetical 'lesser' side, he'd be playing for a team that other teams didn't feel the need to drop deep against, and so he'd get space playing off the last man. Would he get that here? Perhaps not. Would he still be able to offer something? Well, he seems to have done okay at Arsenal, even if he hasn't reached the potential some thought he would.

Do you remember how Eto'o played in Barcelona? Getting on the end of every through ball, getting at least a couple of clean 1 on 1 chances with a keeper in almost every game, and by the threat of his pace, keeping defenders' line closer to their goalkeeper, thus pushing the whole opponent's team back, where they can only defend. That's the type of player Walcott can be for us.

Eto'o was a ruthless winner. Walcott would be another nice guy to add to our stable of nice guy losers.

Eto'o was a ruthless winner. Walcott would be another nice guy to add to our stable of nice guy losers.

That's a good point. For all his finishing ability, somehow Walcott doesn't strike me as ruthless. Or a winner.

To be fair, it's hard to become a winner at Arsenal.

That's a good point. For all his finishing ability, somehow Walcott doesn't strike me as ruthless. Or a winner.

To be fair, it's hard to become a winner at Arsenal.
Tongue in cheek, I'm sure, but Henry, Pires, Viera, ljungberg, Wiltord, Fabregas, Petit, etc, etc. were all winners.

Do you remember how Eto'o played in Barcelona? Getting on the end of every through ball, getting at least a couple of clean 1 on 1 chances with a keeper in almost every game, and by the threat of his pace, keeping defenders' line closer to their goalkeeper, thus pushing the whole opponent's team back, where they can only defend. That's the type of player Walcott can be for us.

Eto's was one of the greatest strikers of this generation. I will be stunned and deliriously happy if Walcott signs and becomes half as effective as Eto'o.

As long as we pulled another striker I would be more than happy with Walcott , and anyone turning their nose up at the prospect must be a little deluded as to our current position, we have a top class player wanting to leave a better team than us to join us.
Iif played as a striker he really could be another Michael Owen, OK, like little Mikey he does over rely on pace , and when that goes he would be no more than an average player, but he has four top years in him.
Look at the Arse fans, they really don't want to lose him.

regards

That was in a different era. When was the last time they won any trophy?
Being a winer is about mentality, not about whether you've lifted a trophy or not.
Scum and Barca haven't been disappointed in the slightest, having bought your idea of 'losers' in Van Persie and Fabregas. Because they're winners.

Walcott is fairly injury prone, a bit lightweight, not actually shown himself to be a striker BUT.... fast as fuck and definitely more dangerous than what we have and would give us more options... a no brainer for me... unless of course Rodgers and the scouting team have spotted an unheralded diamond we dont know about somehwere

Walcott is fairly injury prone, a bit lightweight, not actually shown himself to be a striker BUT.... fast as fuck and definitely more dangerous than what we have and would give us more options... a no brainer for me... unless of course Rodgers and the scouting team have spotted an unheralded diamond we dont know about somehwere

So we're back to the "he's better than what we've got" argument. Walcott would undoubtedly come in and improve our team and if we had a better team to begin with I wouldn't necessarily be against it... but I reckon we can get better value for money.

Arsenal fans actually seem split as to their opinions on Walcott, but as I said earlier, so long as he comes in addition to proven strikers it would be fascinating to see if he develops here. Maybe he's just pissed off with Wenger but in recent interviews he's seemed a bit steelier than his image suggests.

So we're back to the "he's better than what we've got" argument. Walcott would undoubtedly come in and improve our team and if we had a better team to begin with I wouldn't necessarily be against it... but I reckon we can get better value for money.

Depends how much that money is really. His wage demands seem high though.

Might sound weird in this day and age but, is there any possibility we could possibly play 2 strikers in the same game?

I would have half of the players in our squad put to death just for a chance to sign David Villa.

He's fucking brilliant and regardless of age would take us up a notch or two.

We're not going to sign him though... so Downing can sleep easy... till Dantes gets him.

The rumoured fee for Walcott is 10 mill. I'd sign him in a heartbeat.
He's massivly underrated on here but he's a player that would improve us greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom