• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... we lost out on Dempsey because we spent that extra £1m needed to get Şahin on loan. We all seemed happy with Şahin earlier...

If we lost Suarez for any reason then our season would be seriously derailed anyways whether we had Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll, Dempsey, Walcott or Sturridge or not. None of those players can replace our number 7.

Letting Carroll be loaned out without having a replacement secured is amateurish, no doubt.

So... we lost out on Dempsey because we spent that extra £1m needed to get Şahin on loan. We all seemed happy with Şahin earlier...

If we lost Suarez for any reason then our season would be seriously derailed anyways whether we had Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll, Dempsey, Walcott or Sturridge or not. None of those players can replace our number 7.

Letting Carroll be loaned out without having a replacement secured is amateurish, no doubt.
Thats not why we lost out on Dempsey.

Jesus this thread went tits up post 9:30 last night

My thoughts are that I'm well chuffed with 90% of this transfer window. I remember us

1. winning a long drawn out tussle to sign Şahin
2. bringing in Allen
3. persuading our best two centre backs to stay
4. Getting rid of the majority of players that won't play often and are paid a lot
5. Signing someone from left-field even if I've no idea if they are good or not

Obviously not flogging off Cole or getting in a third striker takes the gloss of a bit but we are where we are.

All this owner-mafia shit is just ridiculous.

So, we had the money but the owners refused to spend it?
No, because the owners promised money to Rodgers and reneged on that agreement yesterday. Some dopes think I'm gossiping, well I'm fucking not. Read what Rodgers has said leading up to selling up to Carroll. It's black and white.

Jesus this thread went tits up post 9:30 last night

My thoughts are that I'm well chuffed with 90% of this transfer window. I remember us

1. winning a long drawn out tussle to sign Şahin
2. bringing in Allen
3. persuading our best two centre backs to stay
4. Getting rid of the majority of players that won't play often and are paid a lot
5. Signing someone from left-field even if I've no idea if they are good or not

Obviously not flogging off Cole or getting in a third striker takes the gloss of a bit but we are where we are.

All this owner-mafia shit is just ridiculous.

It as ridiculous as the LFC execs threatening fans and their families. Wow, its really out there that shit.

I really don't think people would be thinking of depreciation in two years of a £6m player would they. I would have thought it more logical to thing what a difference some sort of experienced back up might be and a potential thirty odd goals over two years
is worth.
People don't get this do they, we have turned what was a very promising window that had the potential to be an excellent one into a monumental fuck up, through incompetence .
It's not particularly that we did not bring anyone in, I could almost have lived with that, despite us being woefully short in the striker department as admitted by Rodgers but we GAVE AWAY a £20m striker.

I can't take this heads in the sand thing a minute longer I am going out.

"Heads in the sand" my fundament. Few if any of the more optimistic posts have said this has been a perfect window. What they've said is that it's contained good as well as bad, and that not all is lost.

People that say we arent too bad up front should also remember that Suarez will be banned soon as he's racking up the bookings. 2 in 2 league games already.

We are seriously light up front it's scary. Does anyone remember a couple of seasons ago when Torres/Kuyt/Etc where all injured and we had a run of about 6 games with only David Ngog as our fit striker? It was fucking painful. This will be the same I fear.

Could be, it COULD be.

We should never have let Andy leave before we had something else lined up, and Ayre have to take the hit for that.
We dont know if its true that Fulham wanted another fee from us, it could be true obvs and that would have made things difficult for us.

We're short upfront now, and cant afford an injury to Borini and Suarez.
Assaidi can probably play as a striker if needed, as could Gerrard for 1-2 games.

Hopefully the new system can get the best out of Suarez. We need his goals up until january.

I still would add another striker on a free though. Klasnic or Owen could warm the bench until the transfer window reopens.

I think that depends on the success of the kid, doesn't it?

Well yeah, fair enough, but there was only so much of a longterm view we could have taken this Summer, it was fairly obvious from the off we needed a striker. If the kid comes good, great, I just hope people will be content and patient enough in the interim.

Ok, fuck all this doom and gloom. I know it's not easy, but I'm going to stay positive, for Rodgers' sake. He got shafted by the execs and now he has to make do with what he has.

Although we haven't addressed our biggest problem, things could have been a lot worse. We made some good signings, in Allen, Assaidi, Şahin and even Borini looks the biz. We've also signed an 18 year old striker which may turn out to be a good bet for the future. We've found what seems to be a more suitable position for Downing, at left back. January is only around the corner and maybe we'll have a striker in the bag by then. We're not going to be challenging for 4th spot this season but we need to stay focused, and take advantage of games against weaker teams. Rodgers already said that things won't happen overnight and I respect him for that. A new manager needs time, and I think Rodgers should be no exception. We still have a decent starting 11. It's not all doom and gloom. We seem to have no problem dominating play. So if we can turn these episodes of good play into scoring goals we'll be fine.

Ok, fuck all this doom and gloom. I know it's not easy, but I'm going to stay positive, for Rodgers' sake. He got shafted by the execs and now he has to make do with what he has.

Although we haven't addressed our biggest problem, things could have been a lot worse. We made some good signings, in Allen, Assaidi, Şahin and even Borini looks the biz. We've also signed an 18 year old striker which may turn out to be a good bet for the future. We've found what seems to be a more suitable position for Downing, at left back. January is only around the corner and maybe we'll have a striker in the bag by then. We're not going to be challenging for 4th spot this season but we need to stay focused, and take advantage of games against weaker teams. Rodgers already said that things won't happen overnight and I respect him for that. A new manager needs time, and I think Rodgers should be no exception. We still have a decent starting 11. It's not all doom and gloom. We seem to have no problem dominating play. So if we can turn these episodes of good play into scoring goals we'll be fine.
Not challenging for 4th :eek:

hey....im in laos with no internet really... last week our own manager described it as mad that we would sell cheaply and not replace our third striker. One week before that one of our owners talked of us being able to compete with anyone for good players. Fuck me sideways.... positivity?? yeah.... get a fucking striker in for fucks sake!

Im not sure what world some are on.... we weaken ourselves and we allow one of our direct competitors to strengthen.

How is that a good window?

If all we can expect is to save money under our owners then it may well be a very long time till wevare playing with the big boys again unlessbUEFA really havebgot somebballs.

hey....im in laos with no internet really... last week our own manager described it as mad that we would sell cheaply and not replace our third striker. One week before that one of our owners talked of us being able to compete with anyone for good players. Fuck me sideways.... positivity?? yeah.... get a fucking striker in for fucks sake!

Im not sure what world some are on.... we weaken ourselves and we allow one of our direct competitors to strengthen.

How is that a good window?

If all we can expect is to save money under our owners then it may well be a very long time till wevare playing with the big boys again unlessbUEFA really havebgot somebballs.

This post is characteristic of what's going wrong with this debate, as with so many others. Why does every question have to get polarised into "Everything's Wonderful" versus "Everything's Sh!te" FFS? It's obvious that we've failed in one important aspect of this transfer window, namely fetching another striker in. It's also obvious that we've done some excellent business in getting Allen and Şahin, and too many of us seem to forget that in our last game we were unlucky not to beat the reigning champions with the same line-up we'll be putting out until January, when we could well strengthen again. NOT all is lost. Sorry if that's a bit too complex a point to make.

This post is characteristic of what's going wrong with this debate, as with so many others. Why does every question have to get polarised into "Everything's Wonderful" versus "Everything's Sh!te" FFS? It's obvious that we've failed in one important aspect of this transfer window, namely fetching another striker in. It's also obvious that we've done some excellent business in getting Allen and Şahin, and too many of us seem to forget that in our last game we were unlucky not to beat the reigning champions with the same line-up we'll be putting out until January, when we could well strengthen again. NOT all is lost. Sorry if that's a bit too complex a point to make.
Exactly JJ. Well put.

People are surprised we've left a gaping hole on the squad?

Where have you all been for the last 20 years? It wouldn't be a Liverpool transfer window without a massive shortcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom