• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys better keep quiet during the season (possibly in september) when our lack of depth up front is apparent, I mean Villa offered 5 million so the market value was 5mil and thats what we had to meet. We were'nt being mugged for 35mil we were paying market value for a player who our manager wanted, the owners wanted a month ago, and seems to me after carroll was released most fans would want a 20 goal a year striker.
Please enlighten me to how we are going to score goals.... leave young sterling out of the fantasy and at least give some reference to the fact that we are in 4 competitions and will have to deal with suspensions and injuries.
There is no way any of you should be happy that we did not get someone in after carroll was released.
Our lack of goalscorer was highlighted already against a average scottish team so please forgive me at being upset at not forking out 5mil for a 20 goal striker after taking in 4mil for charlie adam and 1mil for carroll on the same day.

How come it's FSG fault that an agreement couldn't be made with Fulham yet it's Rodgers that removed £8 million from the wage bill? Surely FSG, just like Fulhams owners, are involved in involved when a contract has to be terminated? Or have I read it wrong?

Manager given a budget and generate extras via sales. Thought thats the way it works at most clubs? Besides, isn't selling easier than buying? The seller has the bigger say. The money from sales goes to the club too. If Borini flops, its' FSG's fault? Allen and Şahin were FSG targets then? Why would the manager rather sell players than keep them as options if its not by brief of the board or if its not to generate funds?

Its not about pushing the blame. Its not about pointing the fingers. Both the manager and the board plays a part in ins and outs - with the exception of clubs with DOF or a figure like Levy. FSG's role is already bigger than Rodgers in the 1st place - given their say and role at the club. They are the one who signs the cheque book. Its inevitable they'll have responsibility to shoulder. I would be very suprised if the source of Rodgers' " as much confidence as I can possibly get that we will have someone to come in" was only his own wishful thinking.

Anyway since FSG are involved in both ins and outs, isn't it even more 'criminal' to just offload and not strengthen (in pressing areas) at the expense of the club?

By the way, we're not about Dempsey's case specifically. More on adding a striking option to the squad that was in need of one.

Manager given a budget and generate extras via sales. Thought thats the way it works at most clubs? Besides, isn't selling easier than buying? The seller has the bigger say. The money from sales goes to the club too. If Borini flops, its' FSG's fault? Allen and Şahin were FSG targets then?

Its not about pushing the blame. Its not about pointing the fingers. Both the manager and the board plays a part in ins and outs - with the exception of clubs with DOF or a figure like Levy. FSG's role is already bigger than Rodgers in the 1st place - given their say and role at the club. They are the one who signs the cheque book. Its inevitable they'll have responsibility to shoulder. I would be very suprised if the source of Rodgers' " as much confidence as I can possibly get that we will have someone to come in" was only his own wishful thinking.

Anyway since FSG are involved in both ins and outs, isn't it even more 'criminal' to just offload and not strengthen (in pressing areas) at the expense of the club?

By the way, we're not about Dempsey's case specifically. More on adding a striking option to the squad that was in need of one.
So if Rodgers made £4 million from Adam and £1 million from the Carroll loan then why didn't he buy Dempsey? Could it be he didn't value Dempsey at £5 million?

No one is happy that a 3rd striker couldn't be bought in but this has been a good transfer window. Not perfect but good. Have to see if our new midfield can contribute to the goals since, based on the evidence so far, they have the talent and our strikers need help.

Henry, Werner, Ayre ....... making football decisions tying Rogers hands and the dog has more knowledge than the 3 combined.

So if Rodgers made £4 million from Adam and £1 million from the Carroll loan then why didn't he buy Dempsey? Could it be he didn't value Dempsey at £5 million?

No one is happy that a 3rd striker couldn't be bought in but this has been a good transfer window. Not perfect but good. Have to see if our new midfield can contribute to the goals since, based on the evidence so far, they have the talent and our strikers need help.

Yeah, of cos. We won't know the actual reason why no 3rd striker was signed. Its easy to forget that this is Brendan Rodger's 1st transfer window at a big club where there's money to spend and also challenging for players of top quality. Even at Swansea last season, the spending was nothing compard to what this season's Swansea had spent (and understandably so).

The main worry is the people at the top. Their apparent lack of experience and decision making skills makes things frustrating. Credit to them for coming up with the necessary money to sign Allen and Şahin but I really hope they wise-up. The transfer windows in 2011 and 2012 have been pretty disappointing in the sense then just as we expect them to perform better, they let us down, in one way or another.

Yeah, of cos. We won't know the actual reason why no 3rd striker was signed. Its easy to forget that this is Brendan Rodger's 1st transfer window at a big club where there's money to spend and also challenging for players of top quality. Even at Swansea last season, the spending was nothing compard to what this season's Swansea had spent (and understandably so).

The main worry is the people at the top. Their apparent lack of experience and decision making skills makes things frustrating. Credit to them for coming up with the necessary money to sign Allen and Şahin but I really hope they wise-up. The transfer windows in 2011 and 2012 have been pretty disappointing in the sense then just as we expect them to perform better, they let us down, in one way or another.
Well maybe fans should set their expectations better. Rodgers was quite clear that the whole thing would take time and there will be ups and downs. The whole summer has been positive, other than the WBA game, and now because a 3rd striker wasn't signed it's total gloom. Sorry but that's an over reaction especially since it's early in the season.

Let's see how it pans out, huh?

Well maybe fans should set their expectations better. Rodgers was quite clear that the whole thing would take time and there will be ups and downs. The whole summer has been positive, other than the WBA game, and now because a 3rd striker wasn't signed it's total gloom. Sorry but that's an over reaction especially since it's early in the season.

Let's see how it pans out, huh?

Not sure about others but as mentioned, its the fact that the fundemental was not seen to that was disappointing. In fact thats the way it is, disappointment. Haven't seen too many on here over-reacting. Just stating their views and concerns, which is understandable.

Hopefully, we'll get through the next 4 months and stay in contention for honors before making the necessary addiitions in January.

Contention for what? We are already 8 points behind after 2 games for the title. 5 points behind for the CL. 2 points in the EL. So EL is realistic target.

So Spurs, level on points with us and Arsenal, with a point more, are out of contention as well?

I think both Gunners and Spurs will struggle and are looking at 4th to 6th. Man City, Man U, Chelsea in for the CL and PL title. Gunners, Spurs fighting for 4th maybe. Leaving 6th as the only place for the rest. LFC will do well to maintain 8th given the changes in manager, players and system this year.

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, spent transfer deadline day trying to convince his hierarchy of the need to secure the American international.

Fenway Sports Group were unwilling to meet the price – understood to be £1 million above that quoted to other clubs – and now Rodgers faces the improbable task of leading Liverpool back into the Champions League with Luis Suárez as the only experienced striker at the club.

As the clock ticked before the closure of the transfer window, it emerged that Rodgers was not just frantically negotiating with Dempsey’s club Fulham, but also his own board as he argued his case on the merits of signing the 29-year-old.

Dempsey had earlier rejected the chance to join Aston Villa, desperate for Liverpool to re-open negotiations, before finally holding talks with Spurs. On another difficult day in the tumultuous recent history of the Merseyside club, it became apparent that one of the main stumbling blocks to a deal was FSG’s new, restrained transfer policy and determination to enforce more prudent financial management.

Despite slashing the wage bill by millions, including offloading Carroll on the presumption it would free funds for a replacement, Rodgers was informed the fee for Dempsey was too high and that he could offer only up to £5  million. FSG were reluctant to spend significant money on a player in his late 20s entering the final year of his contract.

They have stated previously they would rather invest in young talent than those who will have no sell on value at the end of their contracts, and they are still reeling from the millions wasted by the previous management regime.

It seemed inconceivable as the deadline approached, having allowed Carroll to join West Ham on loan, that Rodgers would be left with only Suárez as a senior striker, but that is the hand he has now been dealt until January. Should Suárez suffer an injury in the next few months, Rodgers will have only Fabio Borini — signed predominantly as a wide man – as a realistic alternative.

The transfer window has provided a thorough education for the latest Anfield incumbent on the financial reality gripping the club. He may feel it has little in common with the public pronouncements when he joined Liverpool.

Chairman Tom Werner suggested last season that Liverpool could match the top clubs in Europe. “I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football,” he said on April 12.

At Rodgers’s unveiling in June, a club statement went even further, suggesting the high spending of the previous management regime would not impact on the new coach’s transfer plans.

It read: “The owners are always willing to provide funds where necessary to strengthen the squad.

“There will be no requirement to sell players this summer in order to fund new purchases.”

These claims do not seem to tally with Rodgers’s failure to get the green light to sign Dempsey, particularly given the number of senior players who have left since he was appointed, many of whom he was helpless to prevent departing. Numerous high-earning players have departed since the end of last season, including Dirk Kuyt, Craig Bellamy, Alberto Aquilani, Andy Carroll and Maxi Rodriguez.

Fabio Aurelio, Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing have also been moved on, equating to a conservative estimate of £20 million slashed in wages, and yet Rodgers still found himself pleading in vain for the funds to force through the Dempsey deal.

Liverpool also held talks with Chelsea for the loan signing of Daniel Sturridge, but the England international wanted to make the transfer permanent.

Rodgers possessed neither the funds nor the inclination to bid £15 million for his services and Sturridge was a substitute in Chelsea’s Super Cup defeat in Monaco.

The early part of the day at Anfield was spent offloading players. Adam moved to Stoke for £4 million, Spearing headed to Bolton for a season’s loan and youngster Nathan Eccleston headed to Blackpool on loan.

I think both Gunners and Spurs will struggle and are looking at 4th to 6th. Man City, Man U, Chelsea in for the CL and PL title. Gunners, Spurs fighting for 4th maybe. Leaving 6th as the only place for the rest. LFC will do well to maintain 8th given the changes in manager, players and system this year.

Yep, it will take something close to a miracle for us to get 4th now. We better hope Rodgers is some kind of genius because that's our only hope of getting back to something close to where we were under Rafa and Houllier - FSG aren't going to be any help. I can't really believe some are trying to downplay the problems we've got in attack: they're stark. We'll play 4-3-3, and our options for the front 3 are:

Suarez - brilliant but non-prolific. Lucky if he gets 15 in the PL
Borini - decent looking but unspectacular 21 year old striker with a single season's experience at top level
Assaidi - cheap punt. Most likely will be mediocre, but fingers crossed.
Sterling - very promising but 17 and small even for his age. Not to be relied upon
Downing - non-scoring, non-assisting non-player. Shit.

That's it. The others one might mention, Morgan, Ngoo, Yesil, Pacheco, are nothing more than wild, forlorn, hopes.

We're just not going to score enough goals.

To a degree you can understand the not overspending bit, but if we were missing 1 mill from having another attacking option then thats just retarded. Plain stupid in fact.

If we have some money in january there are some very good deals to be made.
Huntelaar, Llorente, Boudebouz, Lass, Sturridge all have 1 year left on their contract.

I'd actually get in a short term solution until january. Klasnic would actually be a decent signing for 4 months.

How come it's FSG fault that an agreement couldn't be made with Fulham yet it's Rodgers that removed £8 million from the wage bill? Surely FSG, just like Fulhams owners, are involved in involved when a contract has to be terminated? Or have I read it wrong?

£8m ? He's removed £23m a year from the wage bill. You're making out people are getting wound up over nothing RM but they're not. Some stinky shit is at play here.

We got a lot right this window, at least on the face of it. It's just that we got something very simple very wrong. You don't go into a season with just two decent strikers, one of whom is an unknown. It's a fairly basic thing you try to avoid.
spot on

It's not just a little down, is it?

It's full on, knee-jerking, end of the season we're gonna get relegated cos we don't get everything we want posting.

Rodgers also said, there'll be a ups and downs. Did everyone just think he meant only the matches or do you think it applies to transfers as well?

It's not knee jerking and no-on said we'd get relegated.

It's not knee jerking and no-on said we'd get relegated.

After our next few fixtures we'll be firmly placed in the relegation zone. Then we'll have to get out of it with a striker who isn't clinical, and a squad lacking guts. West Ham on the other hand will be ok now, so it's not all bad at least we'll have one less rival in the relegation battle.

£8m ? He's removed £23m a year from the wage bill. You're making out people are getting wound up over nothing RM but they're not. Some stinky shit is at play here.
So at least we'll have a few pound to spend in January then!;)

Yeah, FSG has let the 'we hate our foreign owners' genie out of the bottle, and that's a hard fucker to get back in.

Well, I suppose at least the kids are sure to get a chance eh?

It seems to be a re-occurring theme with us that whatever position *really* needs addressing, is generally the one that isn't.

Like needing wingers and buying no wingers, but loads of reserve goalies. Or needing a goalscorer and not really getting one.

Hey ho, at least we might be able to sing the 'best midfield in the world' song without feeling too embarrassed now

sos1.png
They can fuck right off too

you guys better keep quiet during the season (possibly in september) when our lack of depth up front is apparent, I mean Villa offered 5 million so the market value was 5mil and thats what we had to meet. We were'nt being mugged for 35mil we were paying market value for a player who our manager wanted, the owners wanted a month ago, and seems to me after carroll was released most fans would want a 20 goal a year striker.
Please enlighten me to how we are going to score goals.... leave young sterling out of the fantasy and at least give some reference to the fact that we are in 4 competitions and will have to deal with suspensions and injuries.
There is no way any of you should be happy that we did not get someone in after carroll was released.
Our lack of goalscorer was highlighted already against a average scottish team so please forgive me at being upset at not forking out 5mil for a 20 goal striker after taking in 4mil for charlie adam and 1mil for carroll on the same day.
This. As I have said earlier, although I am not buying into the finance, conspiracy and certainly not the SoS view and resurgence, I just put it down to complete incompetence, and lack of understanding

To a degree you can understand the not overspending bit, but if we were missing 1 mill from having another attacking option then thats just retarded. Plain stupid in fact.

The problem for me is that we just spent £1m on a kid, if that cost us getting Dempsey, then that's just criminal

Oh come on Mullet, so what did he value him at? He has been chasing him for months and got himself on an FA charge for tapping him up, and if he does not value a potential 20 goal a season man at £5m then we really are in trouble. Regardless of what he valued him at he would know full well that we were in no position to argue and that was our only option left, and if a couple of million is the difference between some sort of replacement for Carroll or not and he didn't take it we might as well pack up now.
This, sorting the strikers, was the biggest challenge and priority of the window, and every one knows it , more so than the midfield, we made loads and loads of chances last year but could not convert them.

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Don't let Borini or Suarez get injured, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom