• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
That team is probably better and more balanced than some of LFC's first-choice 11s of recent (before Klopp and Rodgers) years. Now add 2-3 "first-choice" players to that (which is what's going to happen in most Cup games) and it looks a lot more solid.

Just a comment, I'm not arguing against signing anyone – I'm generally with you on this.
It's a decent team, definitely but you say we throw in some of the starters, how is that going to work? I mean, Salah, Firmino and Mane have all played during the summer. We're also playing in the world club cup this season.
Then there's injuries as well. It's not looking good, man.

Are we throwing away the domestic cups again this season? This is our second team:

-----------------------------Mignolet

Clyne---------Gomez--------------Lovren--------[bcolor=#ff0000]Milner[/bcolor]

----------------------------[bcolor=#ff0000]Lallana[/bcolor]
------------------Keita---------------Oxlade
Shaqiri-----------------Brewster------------------[bcolor=#ff0000]Origi[/bcolor]

I've highlighted the problem positions. Again, not about the individual player, it's more about the position.

That side is definitely good enough to compete in the early round of the domestic cups. Later rounds you'd have to add some of the first choice.

Are we throwing away the domestic cups again this season? This is our second team:

-----------------------------Mignolet

Clyne---------Gomez--------------Lovren--------[bcolor=#ff0000]Milner[/bcolor]

----------------------------[bcolor=#ff0000]Lallana[/bcolor]
------------------Keita---------------Oxlade
Shaqiri-----------------Brewster------------------[bcolor=#ff0000]Origi[/bcolor]

I've highlighted the problem positions. Again, not about the individual player, it's more about the position.
I'm not even considering the domestic cups. Just to compete for the title and CL we will need more top players. We were very lucky to avoid long term injury to our Front Three last season. With AFCON and the general lack of respite injuries are likely to feature more this season. And we don't have the depth of cover City do.

Hopefully Ox & Keita can pick up where they left off and Brewster can be a revelation but it's a gamble we shouldn't be taking.

If we can’t gamble on Brewster we may as well fuck off the whole academy system and save a few million a year.

Left back is our main priority and even then we don’t need a top class first choice International. We need a do a job for 20% of the season kind of player.

Our front 3 will be a mixture of

Manè
Salah
Firmino
Origi
Brewster
Shaqiri
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Our midfield 3 will be picked from
Fabinho
Keita
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Central defence
Virgil
Gomez
Matip
Lovren (if he stays)
Van Den Berg

Right back
Trent
Clyne (if he stays)
Gomez
Milner at a push

Left back
Robertson
Milner at a push

You can pick a combination of those and they’d beat 80% of the league. Some will argue about the drop off in quality from out top players in a position but that’s where rotation and in game management come into play.

I think we’d go for some semi strong teams in the league cup. Our fixtures following the league cup games are

Sheffield United (going down)
Villa (going down)
West Ham
Spurs (we do play in the FA cup the previous game)
Southampton
Bournemouth

For the FA cup

League cup/Spurs
League cup/Southampton
League cup/Bournemouth
Man City
Burnley

Looking at the schedule we will be alright. Also it’s about time we don’t get a premier league team in the early rounds of either competition.

Dimwitted? Behave.

He was one of the most sought after players in Europe at that time, and everyone was desperate to get him.

And when we finally did - although it was always likely - Liverpool fans were delighted.

Ahh Harry, he was a divisive one, I remember on here (or maybe even Koptalk) when the pro Harry crowd was rushing to praise his bravery and him for putting his body on the line, for when he got completely floored by Sol Campbell, inadvertently causing the ball to spill back to Mellor, who promptly twatted it in the bottom corner from 25 yards, leading to our 2-1 victory against the Gooners.

If we can’t gamble on Brewster we may as well fuck off the whole academy system and save a few million a year.

Left back is our main priority and even then we don’t need a top class first choice International. We need a do a job for 20% of the season kind of player.

Our front 3 will be a mixture of

Manè
Salah
Firmino
Origi
Brewster
Shaqiri
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Our midfield 3 will be picked from
Fabinho
Keita
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Central defence
Virgil
Gomez
Matip
Lovren (if he stays)
Van Den Berg

Right back
Trent
Clyne (if he stays)
Gomez
Milner at a push

Left back
Robertson
Milner at a push

You can pick a combination of those and they’d beat 80% of the league. Some will argue about the drop off in quality from out top players in a position but that’s where rotation and in game management come into play.

I think we’d go for some semi strong teams in the league cup. Our fixtures following the league cup games are

Sheffield United (going down)
Villa (going down)
West Ham
Spurs (we do play in the FA cup the previous game)
Southampton
Bournemouth

For the FA cup

League cup/Spurs
League cup/Southampton
League cup/Bournemouth
Man City
Burnley

Looking at the schedule we will be alright. Also it’s about time we don’t get a premier league team in the early rounds of either competition.
Nobody said we can't gamble on Brewster, I mean literally I haven't seen one person say we shouldn't. But not gamble on him as an out and out replacement for one of the front three in the event of long term injury (at least until he's proven).

We all know our options but consider if two from Mane, Firmino and Salah are out. Is our Front Three now good enough to compete at the top level in the CL and PL ? And if it's not we are gambling on a total season derailment, we're gambling on not having tough matches whilst they are out. We clearly need another top level player (not Brewster who isn't a winger) to take the strain off Mane & Salah.

Despite me desperately wanting us to sign a top quality forward (as I've mentioned umpteen times), I can see why the club are refusing to get into this market.

The prices are fucking insane this summer, seems like loads of clubs are scrambling to overpay for anyone of note.

I assume we have a few places we'd ideally like to fill, but are only willing to do so if they can get them for what the regard as a reasonable price.

Despite me desperately wanting us to sign a top quality forward (as I've mentioned umpteen times), I can see why the club are refusing to get into this market.

The prices are fucking insane this summer, seems like loads of clubs are scrambling to overpay for anyone of note.

I assume we have a few places we'd ideally like to fill, but are only willing to do so if they can get them for what the regard as a reasonable price.
Fekir has just gone for 30m Euros hasn't he ? Regardless of injury concerns at that price he was worth a gamble.

Nobody said we can't gamble on Brewster, I mean literally I haven't seen one person say we shouldn't. But not gamble on him as an out and out replacement for one of the front three in the event of long term injury (at least until he's proven).

We all know our options but consider if two from Mane, Firmino and Salah are out. Is our Front Three now good enough to compete at the top level in the CL and PL ? And if it's not we are gambling on a total season derailment, we're gambling on not having tough matches whilst they are out. We clearly need another top level player (not Brewster who isn't a winger) to take the strain off Mane & Salah.

You actually said it’s a gamble we shouldn’t be taking.

You actually said it’s a gamble we shouldn’t be taking.
I think he means that it's gamble we "ideally" shouldn't be taking. Especially if we're looking to challenge for the premiership. But like he said I don't think anyone is against giving Brewster a chance, it's just we rather have a top class player there instead.

I think he means that it's gamble we "ideally" shouldn't be taking. Especially if we're looking to challenge for the premiership. But like he said I don't think anyone is against giving Brewster a chance, it's just we rather have a top class player there instead.

I get that point of view. I do think it’s a short term vision. If the club see massive potential in Brewster then let’s develop it.

It’s all a smokescreen for Mbappe.

ad44ae59ebe5c7b4e7e2ab7c1d8946da.jpg

I wrote about it several times: there is no player comparable to Mane and Salah who will come here to "take the strain" off them. We can try to buy another winger who is OK with being a back-up – but we already have this in Shaqiri and the best we can hope in this scenario would be a marginal improvement. I think Shaq is quality and his attitude has been spot-on so far; the only intractable problem I can see is that he can't play on the LW at all and can't lead the line either – so Salah and Firmino have to be always shuttled around to accommodate him, which is not ideal. So just based on that lack of versatility, a marginal improvement on him is possible, but it's not all that easy to find someone who is both good enough and willing to play this role – and won't break the bank.

One thing you and other posters are underestimating, IMHO, is that we don't have to play all 3 of Salah, Mane and Firmino in every game to win, including big games. If you have a really solid defense and a midfield that won't be outplayed, 1 in-form attacker is generally all you need to get your 1:0. We beat Barca with only Mane available from the front 3, we beat PSG with Firmino coming off the bench and won the CL final with him playing far below his level; Sturridge started must-win games against Huddersfield and Newcastle in the decisive part of the title race. In the last couple of seasons, Klopp has been very careful to give each of the front 3 a game off here and there and it didn't seem like there were overworked – besides all 3 seem to be the type who need to play all the time to maintain their sharpness. Would a long-term injury to one of them make things a lot harder – of course it would. But that's just like saying Barca needs a like-for-like replacement for Messi in case he gets injured. There is no replacement; if something like this happens you just try to cope with it. Like I said many times before, I think what we need the most is to add more goals, creativity and quality in midfield to supplement the front 3 – and that would also come in handy when one of them is unavailable.

Last edited:
I wrote about it several times: there is no player comparable to Mane and Salah who will come here to "take the strain" off them. We can try to buy another winger who is OK with being a back-up – but we already have this in Shaqiri and the best we can hope in this scenario would be a marginal improvement. I think Shaq is quality and his attitude has been spot-on so far; the only intractable problem I can see is that he can't play on the LW at all and can't lead the line either – so Salah and Firmino have to be always shuttled around to accommodate him, which is not ideal. So just based on that lack of versatility, a marginal improvement on him is possible, but it's not all that easy to find someone who is both good enough and willing to play this role – and won't break the bank.

One thing you and other posters are underestimating, IMHO, is that we don't have to play all 3 of Salah, Mane and Firmino in every game to win, including big games. If you have a really solid defense and a midfield that won't be outplayed, 1 in-form attacker is generally all you need to get your 1:0. We beat Barca with only Mane available from the front 3, we beat PSG with Firmino coming off the bench and won the CL final with him playing far below his level; Sturridge started must-win games against Huddersfield and Newcastle in the decisive part of the title race. In the last couple of seasons, Klopp has been very careful to give each of the front 3 a game off here and there and it didn't seem like there were overworked – besides all 3 seem to be the type who need to play all the time to maintain their sharpness. Would a long-term injury to one of them make things a lot harder – of course it would. But that's just like saying Barca needs a like-for-like replacement for Messi in case he gets injured. There is no replacement; if something like this happens you just try to cope with it. Like I said many times before, I think what we need the most is to add more goals, creativity and quality in midfield to supplement the front 3 – and that would also come in handy when one of them is unavailable.
Sorry but I don't agree with your summation.

Firstly Shaq isn't a winger so when he plays there is a distinct change in tactics to accommodate him. We need far better but Shaq does have his uses, it's just that, a few games aside, he was unreliable, hence Klopp hardly playing him.
As to 'there is no player comparable to Mane and Salah who will come here', I'm sorry but what does that even mean ? That there is no world class player who will come here to play second fiddle ? Well obviously not. However bringing in a player who could play here and improve on what we've got ? Indeed there are, many, maybe even Zaha for example (I'm sure there are better).

I also considered mentioning a change of tactics but with long term injuries I'd hope it wouldn't be necessary (by having someone who can stand in). We know what took us deep last season and a forced long term tactical change wasn't it. Pointing out a change in tactics in this game or that is not the point.

For example if Mane and Firmino were out (and we had bought say Zaha and Pepe, not that they would necessary be my preferences (well yes I'd love Pepe) but for illustration : then our forward line would be : Zaha ... Pepe ... Salah which is better than Origi ... Brewster ... Salah or Salah ... Brewster ... Shaq. It is not about what we can do with what we've got, it's about being able to maintain the highest standards possible when injury hits us. I just don't think we have that depth yet.

Firstly Shaq isn't a winger so when he plays there is a distinct change in tactics to accommodate him. We need far better but Shaq does have his uses, it's just that, a few games aside, he was unreliable, hence Klopp hardly playing him.

What is he if not a winger? Plays on the right (except a few games where Klopp tried him in the middle and didn't like the result), cuts in on his left and looks for a shot or a pass. He's not like Mane or Salah, it's true – more of a playmaker/winger style like Coutinho. But that's beside the point – my point is that he's not going to replace Henderson or Gini or Keita, he's definitely a back-up to the front 3 and that's the role he's been bought for.

What is he if not a winger? Plays on the right (except a few games where Klopp tried him in the middle and didn't like the result), cuts in on his left and looks for a shot or a pass. He's not like Mane or Salah, it's true – more of a playmaker/winger style like Coutinho. But that's beside the point – my point is that he's not going to replace Henderson or Gini or Keita, he's definitely a back-up to the front 3 and that's the role he's been bought for.
You said it yourself. And in the LoL Coutinho thread everybody agreed Coutinho isn't a front three player. Shaq. maybe a little different but not by much. And again that wasn't my point, which was we can do much better and need someone more akin to Mane/Salah. They don't have to be at their level, but more than good enough to enable us to continue playing Klopp's preferred style.

Look at the three forward lines I posted above. Which would you prefer ?

They don't have to be at their level, but more than good enough to enable us to continue playing Klopp's preferred style.
This.
This is what it's all about. Keeping the same shape and style. Otherwise, just play Lallana and Shaqiri on the wings and Origi upfront. It's crap.
Shaqiri strives while playing alongside good players. He can't do it himself.

Of that trio, we're the sexiest. The atmosphere at Arsenal is toxic, and any player with ambition and status would steer of that place. If you're reading this Hakim Zeyich, avoid Arsenal.
Even if we don't sign anybody I am going to trust Klopp.
The Milk Cup holds no value to me. FA Cup, I think we'll have to field the weaker squad if and when we reach the semi-final. I would like us to win the World Club Championship, the League and CL. The latter two being the most important

FIFA needs a smelly cunt like corbyn to come in and ruin it for the lizards milking the sport it for all its worth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom