• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, reputation can play a significant part in these things IMO. He's been consistently linked with top clubs over the years.

I'd expect £10m, and I wouldn't be surprised at £12m.

Bet you a tenner we get less than 12M.

You're havin a larrrf.

You say you'd be delighted if we get more than £7m for him. I'll be generous and say that means you expect us to get that £7m for him. I said I expect us to get £10m.

Split the difference makes £8.5m. That's the bet.

Alright then, done. The tenner goes to the HJC ok?

Yeah, if you win. I'm not sure yet how I'd prefer to spend it.

peterhague you owe the HJC 10 of your finest pounds my friend.

Remy. You'd know what you were getting from him week in week out, The Studge is our no.1 and I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if Balotelli's contribution ends up being greater than Remy's would have been.

But we are where we are. Balotelli's a Liverpool player now, so I'm hoping for the best.
You've just described exactly the reasons why Mario was what we needed JJ. We've got plenty of the "you know what you're going to get" players. What we need, after the loss of Luis, is the unpredictable.

A respectable argument, Wiz, but I don't agree. For one thing I reckon it's a mistake to think in terms of trying to replace Suarez, who's an unmatchable talent (you'd be looking at Ronaldo or Messi. so forget it). For another, we have a decent degree of unpredictability in the squad still, via the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho, eventually Lallana and Markovic too. The order of the day now IMO is to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

A respectable argument, Wiz, but I don't agree. For one thing I reckon it's a mistake to think in terms of trying to replace Suarez, who's an unmatchable talent (on our budget anyway). For another, we have a decent degree of unpredictability in the squad still, via the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho, eventually Lallana and Markovic too. The order of the day for me now is to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

We've arguably done that though in adding more depth. I think what Wiz is getting at, is that Mario is like Suarez and Garcia, in terms of having that ability to conjure up something out of nothing in a tight game. For all of the aforementioned players abilities to make something happen, it's not as off the cuff as we need. You're right, we shouldn't try to replace the irreplaceable, but there always room for one maverick.

I wonder if we backed out of the Remy deal at the last minute because Milan (or Mario's agent) approached us in the US with an offer to deliver us Balotelli, and we decided that it was too good a deal to miss.

A respectable argument, Wiz, but I don't agree. For one thing I reckon it's a mistake to think in terms of trying to replace Suarez, who's an unmatchable talent (you'd be looking at Ronaldo or Messi. so forget it). For another, we have a decent degree of unpredictability in the squad still, via the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho, eventually Lallana and Markovic too. The order of the day now IMO is to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
I have to disagree with that Jules. I said before last season that Suarez wasn't replaceable and that only became more obvious during last season. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and replace any of his qualities.

One of his most important qualities was the fear and uncertainty he placed in the mind of defenders.

There aren't many coaches in the EPL who don't know the qualities of Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho etc. That doesn't mean they can be shut down but they can certainly take steps to limit them.

A quality of Suarez, however, was that it was hard to know what his qualities were - they were so unpredictable that it was immensely difficult to make plans on how to limit him.

We have some top class players but any manager worth his salt knows what they're good at and plans to nullify them. To really get to the top you need that streak of utter, irrational, unpredictable brilliance - a player with an unstructured thinking who has the ability to pull off the completely unpredictable. City, the Chavs, Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc have this in varying quantities.

I don't think Mario is anywhere near our best player but his unusual qualities make us an entirely more difficult proposition.

Yeah doesn't everyone hate fussy doctors.
I'd always prefer a happy go lucky kinda doctor who takes the odd risk or two.
Fucking hell.

Yeh cause billion pound Roman A empire Chelsea will have a YTS student doing their Medicals.

didn't Chelsea sign Ba too when he supposedly had dodgy knees, clearly they have enough money to not care about the risk. I think that's all there is to it.

didn't Chelsea sign Ba too when he supposedly had dodgy knees, clearly they have enough money to not care about the risk. I think that's all there is to it.
I suspect their better finances clearly effect the risk/reward percentage given to doctors comments.

Similarly I read hundreds of reviews before I buy anything costing more than £100,whereas my in laws will spend hundreds on a whim because if it's not all that it doesn't matter, it's a fraction of their disposable income.

I suspect their better finances clearly effect the risk/reward percentage given to doctors comments.

Similarly I read hundreds of reviews before I buy anything costing more than £100,whereas my in laws will spend hundreds on a whim because if it's not all that it doesn't matter, it's a fraction of their disposable income.

Yea that's a pretty solid analogy. The Remy thing is a shame and he'll probably be fine but I'm glad we're approaching transfers that way. It's sensible.

I'd rather Remy go to Chelsea than Arsenal. He'll sit on the bench for Chelsea and Arsenal could struggle with Giroud out.

@TalkingAnfield: Rodgers (on transfers): "I'm very, very pleased with the work that we've done. If we bring in any, it'll only be one more".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom