1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

UFC

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by PepeReina, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Farkmaster

Farkmaster Very Well-Known Member

The illegal knee was absurd.

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Why does Steven Seagal wear them Ali G glasses all the time?

3. Delinquent

Delinquent Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that it's Ali G who wears those Steven Seagal glasses all the time.

4. ibromurph

ibromurph Well-Known Member

I like Bisping. His speaks openly and honestly. Sure, he's confident. But so are most fighters.

5. Delinquent

It's not his confidence that bothers me. It's the fact that he's a massive cunt.

6. cobrastatus

cobrastatus Active Member

being confident as a fighter is a must. But his is not confidence; it's delusional hubris, and it's fucking annoying.

7. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Americans tend to hate Bisping becuase he's English. I don't see any other reason.
    Sure, he can be overconfident at times but that's not exactly rare in MMA.

Rivera deserved to be knocked out for those outlandish videos he and his camp put up on Youtube mocking Bisping. I mean come on, calling him a bitch?
    He crossed the line and deservedly got his ass whipped.

8. ibromurph

[quote author=Modo link=topic=41902.msg1293300#msg1293300 date=1299024729]
    Americans tend to hate Bisping becuase he's English. I don't see any other reason.
    Sure, he can be overconfident at times but that's not exactly rare in MMA.

Rivera deserved to be knocked out for those outlandish videos he and his camp put up on Youtube mocking Bisping. I mean come on, calling him a bitch?
    He crossed the line and deservedly got his ass whipped.
    [/quote]

Yep.

I don't think they get some of his humour/sarcasm.

9. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Very Well-Known Member

I have tended to think he was more misunderstood than anything (and I agree about the anti-English, American bias) but Bisping was a thundercunt after the Rivera fight.

10. Modo

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1294420#msg1294420 date=1299194619]
    I have tended to think he was more misunderstood than anything (and I agree about the anti-English, American bias) but Bisping was a thundercunt after the Rivera fight.
    [/quote]

I have to agree. Acted like a proper cunt afterwards.

11. Modo

BTW where is Dana White. Hasn't said a thing about the UFC 127 debacle and I'm not talking about Bisping - Rivera.

BJ Penn vs Fitch, was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen, thanks to Fitch. What could I expect from Fitch, really??
    He's wrestler and he's won like 8 straight fights by decision. The UFC definitely doesn't need that type of fighter if they want more mainstream success. Some fans, especially in the US, don't appreciate Jiu jitsu and wrestling. If someone isn't knocked out within a minute the crowd starts booing.

Bisping vs Rivera was a good fight, until the illegal knee and from there on it went from bad to worse.
    Dana White and the UFC does not need this kind of publicity if they want to attract the big sponsors and networks.
    Not showing up for the post fight press conference or any post match interviews at all is inexcusable.
    It's like he pulled a Forest Griffin and ran away.

12. Delinquent

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1294420#msg1294420 date=1299194619]
    [/quote]

Not to mention during it.

13. themn

themn Very Well-Known Member

Just saw the Anderson Silva fight.

DAYUM !

14. darkstarexodus

Wow. Diego Sanchez's face. Wow. All I'm going to say. (No spoilers this time...)

15. Modo

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1294823#msg1294823 date=1299273209]
    Wow. Diego Sanchez's face. Wow. All I'm going to say. (No spoilers this time...)
    [/quote]
    Haha...

daylight robbery.

16. Farkmaster

Yea, Americans hate Bisping because he's English, and they can't grasp his sophisticated sense of humour. Or it might be stuff like him kneeing people in the head illegally.

17. Farkmaster

[quote author=Modo link=topic=41902.msg1294856#msg1294856 date=1299285250]
    [quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1294823#msg1294823 date=1299273209]
    [/quote]
    Haha...

daylight robbery.
    [/quote]

Enh, this wouldn't make top 50 worst UFC decisions, and there have been a lot of them recently. I can even see an argument for Diego taking it, given that stuffing a take down doesn't give you anything in the current system really. Kampman lacks the cardio and will power to stick to his game plan. You see it all the time in boxing (which was effectively all this match was since Kampman stuffed every take down but one) the skilled boxer dictates range, scores a lot, then gets tired and lazy and gets sucked into some slug fest where he probably still has a better chance, but he's leaving it to chance, and things can snowball.

But yea, if we went by Lennox Lewis "state of his face", then Kampann took that 10-8 each round.

18. darkstarexodus

I agree with you, Fark. Diego finally getting the takedown secured him the win. I feel for Kampmann, especially after the close decision loss to Shields, but he didn't do enough in the third to put it out of doubt. Once he showed that he had a hand injury, I knew he wouldn't be able to do anything but stall for the remainder of the fight. Most of Diego's shots didn't hit but he kept coming forward and dictating the pace in the second half of the fight.

19. ibromurph

Kampmann won the fight. You can make a case for Diego "trying" and "pushing the pace" but beside that, he really got picked apart from a superior skilled fighter (and stuffing takedowns does factor into the scoring system - octagon control - as he's dictating where the fight takes place). I think the decision was just favouritism towards the American fighter.

20. darkstarexodus

I disagree that it was favouritism, Ibro. Kampmann was clearly the more technical fighter and inflicted the most damage over the course of the fight. But the fights are scored each round, not as a whole, as you well know. Kampmann clearly won the first round (although I'm not sure it was a 10-8). The second round could have gone either way (I would have given it to Kampmann but Diego imposed himself in the second half of the round and scored a couple clean, big shots at the end that wobbled Kampmann, so I can see the argument). The third round again could have gone either way, Kampmann with picking his shots, or Diego by pushing the pace. Ultimately, it was finally securing the takedown that gave him the win. The fight somewhat reminded me of Machida-Rampage, another close fight where the superior technician did not notch a victory on account of a more cautious style that does not appeal to the judges. It's a systemic flaw, not an individual travesty or personal victimization.

It's a fact that the judges give too high an emphasis on getting a takedown when scoring rounds, even if the takedown doesn't lead to anything. And, unfortunately (and as Fark mentioned), little scoring advantage is given to stuffing takedowns. I think this is poor because it's dictating where the fight takes place which is part of Octagon Control, one of the components of scoring, as you state. However, it is a fact of judging, wrongly as I believe, that they don't count for much in general, not just for Kampmann.

I could tell early in the third round that though it was going to be a close one on the scoring cards, Kampmann still needed to do something significant to seal the fight. And as soon as he showed signs of the hand injury I knew he wouldn't be able to do it.

Personally I would like to see more 10-10 rounds given out and the second round would likely have received that score from me. Which may or may not have affected the overall result, depending on whether you count round 1 as a 10-8.

Though I would have scored the fight in favour of Kampmann, I don't particularly think it's a travesty, nor an example of bias or favouritism that Diego got the nod. Kampmann needs to be conscious of how fights are scored and also needs to choose game plans that will win fights (his stupidity in the Shields fight being a better example). Or finish the fight.