• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UFC

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1323595#msg1323595 date=1304049882]
Jon Jones injured, so Rashad will be fighting Phil Davis instead. Davis is a good prospect but I think it's a step too far too soon for him. Word is that the fight will be a title eliminator (ie. winner gets a shot), which again seems a weird decision. Obviously Rashad is in line for the shot and would get it if he won but I'm surprised Davis would get the shot if he beats Rashad. I hope the fight doesn't derail Davis' progress as he looks to have some potential.

Looking forward to the card this weekend. I've got a bunch of friends going and I was going to head to Toronto as well but then I booked my other vacations instead.

Does anyone give Shields a decent chance at winning? I think he's a very impressive fighter, striking aside, and hope he gives St. Pierre a tough fight. Ultimately I think GSP will be too much though it will be tough to break his streak of decision victories.

I'm really hoping Hominick can dethrone Aldo but I'm not holding my breath. Couture-Machida should be an interesting, if not necessarily exciting, fight. On the undercard, I hope Jason Macdonald can save his job and come through. I was at the fight in Montreal where he broke his ankle and it looked awful. Hope he can get it back on track.

I love Nick Diaz as a fighter. Hope he doesn't end up doing boxing instead and that Zuffa can offer him matchups and money to keep him interested.
[/quote]
Really?
Davis? Incredible.

Shields is massively overrated has probably the ugliest style I've ever seen in the UFC. His stand up is horrible and static. Doesn't look like an athlete. GSP will murder him.

Anyway I like Diaz but he seems a bit, how do you say...stupid?

Homenick isn't going to dethrone anything.

Machida and Couture is a massive farse, what a mismatch!

Are you going?

[size=14pt]SPOILER WARNING!!!!!
[/size]

Crane+Kick+Karate+Kid+Retarded+Defeat.jpg

The new Mr. Miyagi
UO2MO.jpg

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1287993#msg1287993 date=1298138437]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=41902.msg1287825#msg1287825 date=1298098522]
Can we please get back to the original discussion here?

Btw darkstarexodus if you really live in Canada, you must be looking forward to the gala in Toronto.
UFC 129?

Wish I had a ticket and that I lived in Canada.

What a fight card!

GSP v Shields
Machida v Couture
Aldo v Someone...

What do you think about GSP fighting in Canada again?
Personally I think it gives him an advantage. It's hard enough trying to take the belt from him but to do it in Canada...
I know it's about marketing but isn't Canada or Toronto already the "Mecca" of MMA?
[/quote]

I do think GSP fighting in Canada gives him an advantage and isn't really fair. On the other hand, it creates such a media sensation and causes such publicity for the sport that it's hard not to think of it as a good thing.

To be honest though, I don't think the fight card for 129 is all that exciting. A GSP fight and a Couture fight as the two main events means a lot of risk-free grappling and likely two decisions. I am still thinking about going but the price of scalper tickets is putting me off a bit. I paid over $400 to see Machinda-Shogun 2 in Montreal and it might take double that to get decent seats in Toronto. (Also, I'm supposed to be in Liverpool the weekend before because I have a ticket to the game against Birmingham and I certainly can't do both trips. I need to figure it out soon.)
[/quote]

[size=14pt]BEST GALA EVER!!![/size]

[quote author=cobrastatus link=topic=41902.msg1324560#msg1324560 date=1304250768]
Best card I've ever seen from start to finish, Main Event sucked though. FINISH HIM GSP!!!!!
[/quote]
Yup, sucked big time.

Main event was atrociously boring but, then, what do you expect from a GSP title defence?

Hominick - Aldo was a great fight and pretty much played how I expected. I was pulling for the Machine but expected that Jose would be too much.

Machida - Couture did NOT end how I thought. Impressive finish.

Only caught last round of the Diaz fight. Too bad.

Brilz-Janitor caught me off guard. Had that pegged for a decision for sure.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1324682#msg1324682 date=1304256039]
Main event was atrociously boring but, then, what do you expect from a GSP title defence?

Hominick - Aldo was a great fight and pretty much played how I expected. I was pulling for the Machine but expected that Jose would be too much.

Machida - Couture did NOT end how I thought. Impressive finish.

Only caught last round of the Diaz fight. Too bad.

Brilz-Janitor caught me off guard. Had that pegged for a decision for sure.
[/quote]

told you it was a mismatch.

Can someone watch this without getting on Pay per view? mailny cos I'm a tramp, I'm not willing to pay that much at all and want to start trying to watch these.

[quote author=Atlas link=topic=41902.msg1326122#msg1326122 date=1304438918]
Can someone watch this without getting on Pay per view? mailny cos I'm a tramp, I'm not willing to pay that much at all and want to start trying to watch these.
[/quote]

Are you a nark?

[quote author=Atlas link=topic=41902.msg1326426#msg1326426 date=1304462842]
Iv no idea what/who one of them is modo
[/quote]
OK, well here the site I visit to watch the fights again.
I think that was what you wanted?

http://www.pancrase.org/videos/

Just scroll down.

Looks like GSP-Diaz is going to happen at UFC 137. I think GSP will win but it's still the fight I wanted to see. After this, will be interesting to see if they can have any credible WW contenders or if GSP will finally take the plunge and move to middleweight,.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1342395#msg1342395 date=1307050244]
Looks like GSP-Diaz is going to happen at UFC 137. I think GSP will win but it's still the fight I wanted to see. After this, will be interesting to see if they can have any credible WW contenders or if GSP will finally take the plunge and move to middleweight,.
[/quote]
gsp is too small to challenge silva at mw.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1342395#msg1342395 date=1307050244]
[/quote]

It's going to be good, but Diaz has traditionally had problems with wrestlers. Going up against one of the best if not the best MMA wrestler does not bode well for him. Been looking forward to this fight for a long time though, can't wait!

[quote author=cobrastatus link=topic=41902.msg1343314#msg1343314 date=1307238458]
[/quote]

It's going to be good, but Diaz has traditionally had problems with wrestlers. Going up against one of the best if not the best MMA wrestler does not bode well for him. Been looking forward to this fight for a long time though, can't wait!
[/quote]

Agreed on every word you wrote. I really hope it's not a typical GSP takedown snorefest. I love the Diaz brothers. Always exciting fights, even if they don't win, even if they don't finish.

jon jones fuckin batterd him there, ive seen meat gettin tenderized that was less one sided than that

JDS fucking mauled Carwin last night. Fair play to Carwin for lasting the end of that first round. I believe Carwin didn't have much time to prepare for this fight, but i don't think it would have mattered. JDS was to quick for him and Carwin had no answer to his jab. Can't wait for Cain V JDS!

[quote author=Cerberus link=topic=41902.msg1347961#msg1347961 date=1307902220]
JDS fucking mauled Carwin last night. Fair play to Carwin for lasting the end of that first round. I believe Carwin didn't have much time to prepare for this fight, but i don't think it would have mattered. JDS was to quick for him and Carwin had no answer to his jab. Can't wait for Cain V JDS!
[/quote]

Carwin is overrated. I knew that wouldn't stand a chance against Junior.

Not the most entertaining event overall.

Strikeforce HW Grand Prix tonight! Overeem is my favorite fighter, just a down-to-earth, hard working, beast of a man. Can't wait to see him in the UFC. I think he will be the champion by the end of 2012.

[quote author=cobrastatus link=topic=41902.msg1351655#msg1351655 date=1308450590]
Strikeforce HW Grand Prix tonight! Overeem is my favorite fighter, just a down-to-earth, hard working, beast of a man. Can't wait to see him in the UFC. I think he will be the champion by the end of 2012.
[/quote]

I really like Overeem too. Great interview, very humble and respectful despite being an absolute genetic freak (with or without chemical enhancement, as is debated).

I really wanted to watch the fight tonight, especially after watching the prelims on HDNet. From what I'm reading right now it wasn't quite the spectacle everyone expected.

It was pretty bad but I think people are underestimating how good Werdum is on the ground. It was bad precisely because Overeem never wanted to give Werdum an open chance at getting him on his back, so he left himself open to weak shots which made Werdum look better than he was. Werdum had no real answer in the striking department, so he resorted to just falling down trying to drag Overeem into his guard (think Leites v. Silva, or Maia v. Silva). Overeem tossed him around like a rag doll for the most part, landed some hard knee shots, and took him down at will and protected himself from Werdum's guard.

I still think he is easily the best HW in this tournament and will win it handily, but I am maybe a bit unsure about how he will fare against a Cain Velazquez, who can pressure him in the standup and has a much better shot and wrestling than Werdum.

Nate Marquardt was removed from today's TV card on Versus and cut from the UFC. Unconfirmed as yet why beyond that he could not get medical clearance, though he successfully made the weight cut to 170. Dana White is disgusted with him and has cut him. Seems to me he must have been caught with performance enhancing substances or using a diuretic to cut. He's been caught before, though he argued it was accidental. Really shocked and interested to find out the details.

The card was still interesting and decent to watch. Barry v Kongo was moved to the main event instead and there were fireworks.

Yup, it was testosterone for Marquardt, though under doctor's supervision and he has a fairly reasonably sounding story. Though I find it interesting why so many young, healthy men in MMA seem to claim low testosterone (and it's not hard to get a doctor's prescription for it...). [See also: Chael Sonnen, Randy Couture, Dan Henderson]

Most likely reason is hypogonadism from previous steroid use. Although the frequent, brutal weight cuts could also be the culprit.

Here's the link to the article on Sherdog: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Marquardt-Elevated-Testosterone-Caused-Exit-33535

Sucks, I liked Marquardt. And whatever justification they give, people our age do not suffer from testosterone deficiency unless they have cancer or previously used steroids. You have to seriously fuck with your sleep patterns, eating habits, and abuse alcohol, if you want to fake a test deficiency such that a reputable doctor will prescribe you with steroids. Good luck Nate.

Where boxing failed last night, UFC 132 delivered.. in a big way.. some great highlight reel finishes.

[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=41902.msg1358960#msg1358960 date=1309695359]
Where boxing failed last night, UFC 132 delivered.. in a big way.. some great highlight reel finishes.
[/quote]
Agree but as always, whenever a brazilian isnt fighting that is, the main event disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom