• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

VAR conspiracy theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woland

6CM Addict
I was looking for the other topic on this but couldn't find it.

Anyways, they're purposefully making it utter turd now (4 mins for that obvious pen) so that when they get that down to 1 min everyone will go, fair enough, get on with it.

I am of the opinion that I'll always think it's shite, no matter what.

I don't like it, but it is sadly inevitable in some form.

If they can get it down to less than a minute &, crucially, add screens in all grounds that show what the VAR ref's are viewing in real time, along with an on-screen announcement of the decision, it'll be a bit better.

It'll never work completely though, cos as I pointed out at one point last night, Firmino was taken down by their keeper, which TBH was a very hard call to make even on a replay, but the game played on, as it did so, & the ball was around the halfway line it became clear that it was under review & a few seconds later it was deemed no decision was to be made on it.

However, had that been called a penalty, & West Brom had countered quickly what the fuck would have happened? They could be either celebrating a goal or about to shoot when he's being told there's a penalty at the other end!

Unlike in cricket & tennis, there is not necessarily a natural break in the game, so the inevitable conclusion is that as soon as the VAR ref decides to review a decision the game must be stopped, immediately, regardless of where the ball is, which means there will be a few wholly unnecessary breaks.

Again, having a screen showing the fans at the game & at home what is being contested & the decision in real time will help from a fans perspective, but it'll still adversely effect atmosphere (waiting for fuck knows how long before you celebrate a goal? fuck off) & momentum.

The World Cup will be a fucking nightmare, as they always insist in using referee's from all over the world, & as we know, the best referee in a lot of countries is still fucking shite. This system combined with shitty ref's will be horrific.

Can any of the older posters give any views on what opinions were when subs and/or yellow cards were brought in?

I don't like it, but it is sadly inevitable in some form.

If they can get it down to less than a minute &, crucially, add screens in all grounds that show what the VAR ref's are viewing in real time, along with an on-screen announcement of the decision, it'll be a bit better.

It'll never work completely though, cos as I pointed out at one point last night, Firmino was taken down by their keeper, which TBH was a very hard call to make even on a replay, but the game played on, as it did so, & the ball was around the halfway line it became clear that it was under review & a few seconds later it was deemed no decision was to be made on it.

However, had that been called a penalty, & West Brom had countered quickly what the fuck would have happened? They could be either celebrating a goal or about to shoot when he's being told there's a penalty at the other end!

Unlike in cricket & tennis, there is not necessarily a natural break in the game, so the inevitable conclusion is that as soon as the VAR ref decides to review a decision the game must be stopped, immediately, regardless of where the ball is, which means there will be a few wholly unnecessary breaks.

Again, having a screen showing the fans at the game & at home what is being contested & the decision in real time will help from a fans perspective, but it'll still adversely effect atmosphere (waiting for fuck knows how long before you celebrate a goal? fuck off) & momentum.

The World Cup will be a fucking nightmare, as they always insist in using referee's from all over the world, & as we know, the best referee in a lot of countries is still fucking shite. This system combined with shitty ref's will be horrific.

As demonstrated here: Ref should have give the pen, but Feyenoord go up the other end and score, only for the goal to be struck off and pen given. Panto.

Can any of the older posters give any views on what opinions were when subs and/or yellow cards were brought in?
Human nature - object to change until it becomes proven. Yellow cards were just bookings in another form so no real threat to the status quo there, subs were a differnt matter - clearly they are going to favour the clubs with bigger and stronger squads.

We'll come to accept VAR in the end and personally I find it great (sure poor implementation at the moment but it'll get better, even the refs have to get used to it). It's widely accepted in rugby and I don't think it detracts or spoils the atmosphere, on the contrary it builds and builds and there's still a huge roar when the score is given.

For the WC they should take the referee out of it as they do in rugby, the ref calls for a review and the 4th official (or 5th or whatever) reviews and gives the decision. This takes a lot of pitchside pressure off the referee too, the players know they can't influence him.

It's shit if you're in the ground, just as it is for rugby. That's my problem with it, it completely changes the game for the live supporter in a way that subs and bookings never did, in an entirely negative way. There's no way I'm going to Anfield any more if they bring it in. I'll watch the match on TV, but fuck going.

As demonstrated here: Ref should have give the pen, but Feyenoord go up the other end and score, only for the goal to be struck off and pen given. Panto.

That's fucking ridiculous.

If it's done properly as soon as the VAR ref's even think there's an issue the game has to be stopped, but that ruins a lot of the flow of the game & affects counter attacking teams more than other sides.

I think it's great. There's nothing wrong with the technology. There are clearly problems with the way it's being used, and that should have been sorted out long before it was introduced, but there's no reason why it can't work well. Firstly, the crowd needs to know what the hell is going on - at the moment it's as if the organisers forgot that there are actually people who aren't watching on TV. Second, the refs need all the angles that the TV service can provide, and that hasn't always been the case so far. Third, all clubs must be taught how it works - for West Brom to decline that option and then go crazy whenever it was used was just ridiculous. Fourth, the ref who uses it really needs to be trained how to do it quickly and efficiently. But when it does work well it will stop numerous injustices on the pitch from going unpunished or uncorrected, and that's surely good.

If it's done properly as soon as the VAR ref's even think there's an issue the game has to be stopped, but that ruins a lot of the flow of the game & affects counter attacking teams more than other sides.

Oh yeah. Goals get rescinded for VAR decisions as in that clip, but red cards don't. It's all been very well thought through.

I'm undecided. Reducing the amount of obvious human error may sound a good thing, but the flow, interruptions and reliance on technology is somehow also not sitting well.

It seems to some extent broadcasters now owning the game in terms of distribution, but also governance. The TV is now part of the game, which is why Scudamore and all the rest of the technology, TV and money interests in football are fucking DESPERATE for mass adoption of VAR

I was looking for the other topic on this but couldn't find it.

Anyways, they're purposefully making it utter turd now (4 mins for that obvious pen) so that when they get that down to 1 min everyone will go, fair enough, get on with it.

I am of the opinion that I'll always think it's shite, no matter what.

They're playing for the most time they can get away with. It is only now that they can rig the game. Digitally alter images, convincingly, on the hoof. Move a player or ball 6¨ and they are Off side. etc

Last edited:
But back on subject. The intention and technology is there for VAR but it’s all about the implementation. Inevitably, there’s gonna be a load of mis-use and plain stupidity disrupting the game at the beginning but it’ll get better and will reduce refereeing errors.

I think it can be great but obviously they need to work the details out a little better somehow. It definitely takes too long at the moment. I'd rather a game without obvious refereeing mistakes and with less cheating by players.

It's only a matter of time before they incorporate advertisement breaks when there's a VAR related decision, so they can squeeze more money out of the game.

It's only a matter of time before they incorporate advertisement breaks when there's a VAR related decision, so they can squeeze more money out of the game.
Nah, it'll be VAR sponsored by EA Sports or similar when it the camera pans to the screen showing the replay & decision.

So the match could be stopped when a team is on a really positive counter attack, only to be told 'never mind it wasn't a pen after all' and restart with a drop ball while the other team gets 11 behind the ball.

Imagine if that happened in the arsenal match at Anfield just as Salah started his keystone cops sequence

So the match could be stopped when a team is on a really positive counter attack, only to be told 'never mind it wasn't a pen after all' and restart with a drop ball while the other team gets 11 behind the ball.

Imagine if that happened in the arsenal match at Anfield just as Salah started his keystone cops sequence
I don't think that's happen. The 4th official can recommend the ref looks at the play, or say it's definitely a pen, but for something slightly marginal I don't think they'd pull it back, to then stick with the original decision

I want one bang on half time and all the players are down the tunnel and then a striker and keeper have to come back out for a pen.

I love a conspiracy theory, but I don't get the purpose of this one? Surely if it's good from the start, people will love it anyway?

I love a conspiracy theory, but I don't get the purpose of this one? Surely if it's good from the start, people will love it anyway?

Not the people in the ground. It's not possible without massive screens. I've looked round that ground a zillion times looking for where you'd put one, never mind two, and we couldn't do it. Well I'm no architect but I think if we could we already would. You'd have to take out thousands of seats.

A lot of stuff that is now sent to VAR will slowly be internalised by players, so they'll adapt accordingly - for example, once they see several players done for diving or fouls in the box, they'll be less likely to do it (not Lovren, obviously, but most players). So a percentage of what involves VAR now won't once it's established. That's a good aspect of it - it'll gradually reduce the need for itself to be used. And the speed will improve not only when operators become more proficient at using it, but also when players learn to stop crowding around the ref. West Brom's players last night were just crazy, delaying the whole process by demanding explanations that were actually offered them several days before the game, but which they refused to take up.

Not the people in the ground. It's not possible without massive screens. I've looked round that ground a zillion times looking for where you'd put one, never mind two, and we couldn't do it. Well I'm no architect but I think if we could we already would. You'd have to take out thousands of seats.

Ah I see what you mean. Kind of like what they do with video games where they leave in a bug or an error, then fix that error in the next instalment of the franchise so everyone bums their head in.

Some grounds have screens already, but yeah, they wouldn't be able to do it in grounds like ours without causing a massive drama.

Ah I see what you mean. Kind of like what they do with video games where they leave in a bug or an error, then fix that error in the next instalment of the franchise so everyone bums their head in.

Some grounds have screens already, but yeah, they wouldn't be able to do it in grounds like ours without causing a massive drama.

Even Old Toilet hasn't got any screens. They only really work on smaller goal ends or in corners where stands don't meet. Neither of which we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom