• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

VAR conspiracy theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there even a need for big screens these days? They could just have a mobile app that shows all VAR videos and decisions in real time, and is only accessible with a match day ticket.

80% of the stadium are looking at their phones during every break in play anyway.
At least 50% of the stadium are watching the play through their phone as they fucking film it.

Actually - that may be a big contributor to the lack of atmosphere. Ban phones and folks would actually have to engage properly with what is happening on the pitch rather than try & get the perfect pic to prove to their "friends" that they were really there

Is there even a need for big screens these days? They could just have a mobile app that shows all VAR videos and decisions in real time, and is only accessible with a match day ticket.

80% of the stadium are looking at their phones during every break in play anyway.

No they aren't

I always end up sticking my phone in my trouser pocket, and the seats in Anfield are tiny, so you can't get to the fucker without either twatting the dude next to you or doing a maneuver that involves the thing flying in the air one in every three goes. So yeah you'd just see a load of phones flying everywhere, which I guess would be pretty cool. Or I guess I could leave it in my jacket.

On a more realistic note, why hasn't the ref got a large phone sized screen one strapped to him somewhere, like those fuckers who stick them to their arm when they go for a jog? Surely that would lower the time taken to check stuff out.

I am 100 percent PRO VAR (or any other video assistance tech for that matter). The current approach however is laughable and potentially ruining the game.

As I see it there's only two entities in a game that should be capable of calling in a VAR ruling; the ref himself if he's in doubt or the managers.

Give the managers ONE call per game each, and force them to use it wisely. When the manager throws his card to ask the ref for video help, he'd either 1) lose the call if the initial ruling stands or 2) get another call for later should the first one lead to a change in position for the ref.

This way you won't see players like Salah storming at the ref to use VAR he'd then have to convince his own manager to do it. Should they still however address the ref about it then he should almost instantly hand out yellows - we need to protect the refs here or they'd potentially call in VAR no end.

The game against WBA highlighted perfectly the potential flaws with a video ref approach, and there should be some very strict rules and some clear limitations - otherwise it's going to be a right shambles, like our game was.

Last edited:
I always end up sticking my phone in my trouser pocket, and the seats in Anfield are tiny, so you can't get to the fucker without either twatting the dude next to you or doing a maneuver that involves the thing flying in the air one in every three goes. So yeah you'd just see a load of phones flying everywhere, which I guess would be pretty cool. Or I guess I could leave it in my jacket.

On a more realistic note, why hasn't the ref got a large phone sized screen one strapped to him somewhere, like those fuckers who stick them to their arm when they go for a jog? Surely that would lower the time taken to check stuff out.
6a82b6c73ee5b1919d2375fa1ed0cbdc.jpg

I'm guessing it's due to the risk of an embarrassing technical glitch. Fuck knows there's a load of reasons why even a direct wifi signal may fuck up, & they're amplified simply by the amount of other wifi enabled devices around.

The screen is gonna be needed in grounds to make this work for the fans anyway, & if the ref can see the same screen he'd have no need for a device himself.

I'm guessing it's due to the risk of an embarrassing technical glitch. Fuck knows there's a load of reasons why even a direct wifi signal may fuck up, & they're amplified simply by the amount of other wifi enabled devices around.

The screen is gonna be needed in grounds to make this work for the fans anyway, & if the ref can see the same screen he'd have no need for a device himself.

What about some kind of augmented reality heads up display for the ref? I mean you can get them already, and if they specified exactly what they needed and worked on it for a bit they could probably fit them into contact lenses.

What about some kind of augmented reality heads up display for the ref? I mean you can get them already, and if they specified exactly what they needed and worked on it for a bit they could probably fit them into contact lenses.
Just let then watch the match in the production room. About 10 screens and control at the fingertips

Any Dodgy decisions, the chants would bengrwatb

"who's the bastard in the back"

You don't know what you're doing, changes to

"You can't review the footage"

My feeling is that the linesmen does a very good job in 95-97% of the marginal calls anyway, and that is an error margin we can live with. I don't have any stats or feeling about penlaty calls however, but I can live with the errors there as well. It is anyway just another guy's opinion on marginal calls, so they might still be wrong after the VAR decision. And how long before a crucial situation are they going backwards? Is a missed offside in the build up to the goal counting or is it just the guy scoring?

Fuck that system.

My feeling is that the linesmen does a very good job in 95-97% of the marginal calls anyway, and that is an error margin we can live with. I don't have any stats or feeling about penlaty calls however, but I can live with the errors there as well. It is anyway just another guy's opinion on marginal calls, so they might still be wrong after the VAR decision. And how long before a crucial situation are they going backwards? Is a missed offside in the build up to the goal counting or is it just the guy scoring?

Fuck that system.

I think I read somewhere that referees and linesmen are correct 90-something% of the time, which is pretty impressive.

I'd only use VAR during the match for very specific, and therefore rare, occasions.

1) Balls crossing the line/ or not
2) Mistaken identity with bookings and sendings off
3) That's it.

This fucking bollocks about stopping every time there's a dodgy penalty call or whatever is stupid, and the bewildering, stop-start chaos of the West Brom game proves it.

I don't mind the concept being used in goal decisions. It's so important that they get them right. Obviously there are issues with implementation but I hoped these will be smoothed out before long. They can't afford for it not to be as quick and efficient as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I read somewhere that referees and linesmen are correct 90-something% of the time, which is pretty impressive.

I'd only use VAR during the match for very specific, and therefore rare, occasions.

3) That's it.

This fucking bollocks about stopping every time there's a dodgy penalty call or whatever is stupid, and the bewildering, stop-start chaos of the West Brom game proves it.

I would also concede that if it was obvious that someone had booted / punched / spat at / bit / bummed someone but it had been completely missed by the officials as it was nowhere near the ball then it would be fair enough to send them off.

3) That's it.

And how will it affect referees? I mean, how many times would a ref have to reverse a situation before the players looses all respect from him? Being undermined for all marginal calls is no good sign.

I would also concede that if it was obvious that someone had booted / punched / spat at / bit / bummed someone but it had been completely missed by the officials as it was nowhere near the ball then it would be fair enough to send them off.

But these guys get the retrospective punsihment anyway, so they will not be off the hook. Set up a system that ruin the flow of the game to Catch 5 players over the season is pointless.

OK, yeah. But in some cases it's probably OK to deal with it after the match. Whatever, it needs a lid put on.

Your earlier post about the actual supporters who are in the ground is the most important.

When the ball goes out the ref gives them a red. Job done.

OMG don't get me arguing FOR V.A.R or I'll assplode.

Just let then watch the match in the production room. About 10 screens and control at the fingertips

This has to be where it's heading. The effect of players/crowd/manager influence on the ref is downplayed. Have no ref or assistants on the pitch. 3 officials in a room with multiple screens and tools who call every decision. Managers can have one opportunity per match (as per KHL's suggested system) to contest a decision and have it go to the 4th official.

I know there are many reasons this won't work right now, but it's surely coming.

That camera positioning is utterly dreadful.

That doesn't happen here for a number of reasons. Not least of all because we don't have our cameramen on a dodgy scaffolding gantry at the back of a stand.

They are at Anfield. The one in the corner of the kop/King Kenny stand is scaffolding with some adverts posted on it.

Edit: I’m on about general camera points in the ground not specified VAR ones. But it wouldn’t surprise me that such temporary structures would also be used for VAR.

Yep me too, plus the WIFI is shite and I cant get a signal during the match. So no, I would say the Majority are not on their phones during the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom