• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's

Simeone is a cunt.

I still think the best available option is unai emery, but he had an accent in his second language and all the polyglots that make up the English football community couldn't have that.

Simeone is a cunt.

I still think the best available option is unai emery, but he had an accent in his second language and all the polyglots that make up the English football community couldn't have that.

I think Emery might not be enough of a natural leader for a job like Liverpool. I really think you need a lot of charisma for these big roles.

I really like Amorim. He’s one of the top young managers around and has proved that at both Braga and Sporting.
The fact that he is winning and his teams also puts up the best defensive numbers makes me think he can make the step up.

Very impressive the way players develop under him.

If not Alonso, then Amorim
Amorim is as big a gamble as we could take. Winning in a B or C league, poor in Europe and has only played 3 at the back so either a major change for us (when everyone is asking for continuity and 'does he suit our style of play) or he would need to adapt his tactics to a back 4 - all new to him.

Might as well go for the manager of whoever wins the Championship!

I did not know much about him, but after reading up in the last week the more I think it will be Amorim. The motivational aspect, big personality, high pressing, cheap, smart signings, player development, ability to adapt when players leave, and fight against wealthier clubs. It ticks a lot of boxes for a Klopp replacement. He's also got a few more years under his belt at Xabi, and has had one mixed season (4th with no silverware), before bouncing back, which will be advantageous.

His recruitment likely require a tactical shift to 343, but we have the players to adapt and the attacking trio would likely thrive in the increased space his build up play allows. The bigger issue for me is the tactical set up would need altering throughout the youth teams, which could be a messier business. It's part of tbe game, though. We cannot only hire a mangers who only play the 4-3-3. The game changes and evolves and the club will have to embrace that.
Both systems have been around for decades. It's not something new on the block. And to add - which top teams play 343 and have won major trophies?

I can only find Thomas Tuchel, Antonio Conte and Mauricio Pochettino who have used it at the top level (although some may argue Guardiola's is akin to a 3-4-3 at times but it's really not in defence).

Last edited:
Huge gamble but then anyone following Klopp is to a degree. If City don’t get turfed out it doesn’t matter anyway.

Hans Flick remains favourite to take over the Barca Job
Sebastian Hoeneß will take over at Bayern. He has been there most of his coaching life, and his father is the President.
Inzaghi has promised to stay at inter.

Ruben according to what I read and saw is a good candidate but will cost €25m

Zidane, no one talks about him but he is a both a legend as a player and as a Manager. 3 back to back CL trophies. Has been out of the game but seems to want to get back in now. Besides, I want the old rumour that he was looking for a house in Liverpool to finally come to fruition

Naglesman stint at Bayern and the German National Team has been underwhelming. He is still very young, and like AVB getting respect of senior players is gonna be difficult.

Xavi did wonders at Barca. Despite the strangleholdoin finances he still won the league. He has credentials, I'd be surprised by his appointment but not opposed.

Last edited:
Hans Flick remains favourite to take over the Barca Job
Sebastian Hoeneß will take over at Bayern. He has been there most of his coaching life, and his father is the President.
Inzaghi has promised to stay at inter.

Ruben according to what I read and saw is a good candidate but will cost €25m

Zidane, no one talks about him but he is a both a legend as a player and as a Manager. 3 back to back CL trophies. Has been out of the game but seems to want to get back in now. Besides, I want the old rumour that he was looking for a house in Liverpool to finally come to fruition

Naglesman stint at Bayern and the German National Team has been underwhelming. He is still very young, and like AVB getting respect of senior players is gonna be difficult.

Xavi did wonders at Barca. Despite the strangleholdoin finances he still won the league. He has credentials, I'd be surprised by his appointment but not opposed.

Uli Hoeneß is Sebastian's uncle, not his dad.

Amorim is as big a gamble as we could take. Winning in a B or C league, poor in Europe and has only played 3 at the back so either a major change for us (when everyone is asking for continuity and 'does he suit our style of play) or he would need to adapt his tactics to a back 4 - all new to him.

Might as well go for the manager of whoever wins the Championship!

I think anyone that will succeed Klopp are a massive gamble. Wheter its a big name experienced manager or an up and coming one.
We’ve got the sporting director roles and general set up now with Edwards and co, and that was probably even more important so that the club has a clear direction and strategy.

Amorim has fantastic results with Sporting, a fantastic defensive record and pipped Benfica and Porto to the title (first time in 19 years).
Poor European record? Well, QF in the EL and Last 16 in the CL is okay with Sporting.

A new manager will bring a new set up and tactics regardless. Fresh ideas and a new approach is probably the correct move after Klopp.
Xabi plays 3 at the back as well.

I like the fact that he’s an up and coming star with a set philosophy. I like the fact that he has the same traits and values like Klopp. An excellent relationship with the fans and great communication skills and a great record with developing talent.

I dont care if he’s from Sporting if he’s the right fit for us.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/SportingCP/comments/17946jc/amorim_play_style/

Finally some negative reviews from the Sporting fans.

However he lost the players he seted up the system with (Mendes, Nunes, Porro, Palhinha, Ugarte) and the system is not as well regarded now by the fans. Amorim's sin is the lack of flexibility of systems, he's drawing: you got 3 CBs. He's winning: 3 CB's He's Losing: 3 CB's You're down a player: 3 CB's You have an extra man: you guessed it, 3 CBs. You have most of your CBs injured: he adpats played at CB.... Its becoming a bit tiresome. I don't dislike him at all, but he needs to add more dynamic into his mix of tactics ( at least having more than one system)

It's honestly more of a 5-2-3 than a 3-4-3 right now.

I can't really go into specifics right now, but it's a wide system, the midfield of only two people is by far the weakest link (not because the players are bad but because they get outnumbered pretty much every game). This is a huge problem for our style of play and we often find ourselves having huge trouble against even lower tier teams because they do a good job of populating the midfield and pressing us. I think in the last 4 years we got thrown out of the Taça de Portugal by 2nd and 3rd tier teams.

Defense is usually solid as in most 5atb systems, and when it comes to attack, we're not really a team that scores as much as we would like.

As a team with 2 wingbacks and 2 wingers, you expect a lot of crosses, and I'm here to assure you that whenever a game isn't going well, this is our Holy Grail and pretty much the only strategy we have in the sleeve.

I think the current system worked really well the first 2 years when we had players that fit (Nuno Mendes, Palhinha,Porro) but right now, even though we're currently 1st, I can't see us actually finishing the league there, mostly because we have no alternative to this formation and the actual football played has been far from good.

Overall I think Amorim is a good manager, but unfortunately I don't see him moving past this level and think his ceiling might be capped because of his stubbornness/ unwillingness to change formations whenever things aren't going right (which happens a lot tbf).

Amorim is overrated. Not much evolution in his football. 4 years and is almost the same. The difference this year is Gyokeres.

Its a boring and conservative play style

Regarding the difficulty level of the league Amorim manages in, it shouldn't be forgotten/overlooked that he had to break the duopoly of Benfica and Porto. Not sure how much most know about the Sporting squad but if you do, then perhaps you might be less "harsh"/"critical" about his European record.

Players used this season in Liga Portugal:
Benfica - 30 (joint 2nd most)
Porto - 28 (joint 4th most)
Sporting - 24 (joint 2nd least)

Top 16 players with most minutes played this season & their transfer cost:
squad.jpg

Record signings for Benfica, Porto and Sporting (top 2 signed this season thanks to the €100m from the sales of Porro and Ugarte; 3rd placed Paulinho signed back in 2021):
record signings.jpg

=====

To save time repeating/retyping, here's what I posted in Jan 2024:

Shared my view abt Amorim earlier in the thread. I think it would be rather harsh to just dismiss him due to the standard of the domestic league he manages in.

In his 1st managerial job at Braga at the age of 34, he "won 10 out of 13 games after replacing Sá Pinto at the Quarry at the turn of the year, including beating Porto twice, Sporting twice and Benfica once, and won the Taça da Liga (Portuguese League Cup)".

He was Sporting's 4th manager in a season when he joined them in Mar 2020 and won the title in his 1st full season in charge - their 1st in 19 years. Breaking the Benfica-Porto monopoly was no mean feat, esp. since financially Sporting are much weaker than those 2 sides. Before this season's record signing of Gyokeres (€24m), his most expensive signing was Paulinho (€16m) back in 2021

Rúben Amorim and the Sporting Resurgence

titles-jpg.3189

Point diff of Sporting CP vs. 1st placed team
23/24: 1st, +1 lead after 19 matches
22/23: -13
21/22: -6
20/21: 1st, +5 lead
19/20: -22 (took over in Mar 2020)
18/19: -13
17/18: -10
16/17: -12

He managed to achieve decent results in European competition against some bigger clubs too:

21/22
0-0 vs. Man City
3-1 vs. Dortmund

22/23
1-2 aggregate defeat to Juventus
3-3 aggregate score, knocking out Arsenal on penalties last season
2-0 (H), 1-1 (A) vs. Tottenham

Developed/bringing the best out of players: Palhinha (rejoined after being on loan at Braga for 2 seasons), Nunes (signed for €500k & sold for €45m), Goncalves (23 goals in 32 league apps in his first season at the club, which happened to be the one they won their 1st title in 19 years), Porro (initially a loan move from Man City, signed for €8.5m & sold for €45m), Ugarte (signed for €6.5m & sold for €60m)

(notable) Debuts for: Mendes (sold for €38m), Inacio, Chermiti (sold for €12.5m after 22 1st team appearances)

=====

View: https://twitter.com/SawkurGod/status/1774028802911265000

Last edited:
I'm still very leary of Amorim. Firstly there is the potential tactical inexperience / naivety. Then the fact that it's the Portuguese league and no matter how you want to dress it up it's inhabited by teams that are far from European powerhouses. And he was 4th in that league last season - even behind Braga. This season there's a point between Sporting and Benfica with 8 games to go.

Oh and those results against Spurs in Europe? One was a dead rubber as Spurs had already qualified and Sporting were already out.
In the EL this season they played Atalanta in the group and KO. Losing twice and drawing twice.

Amorim has no better record, in an equivalent level league, to Ten Hag (winning 153 of 207 games and winning 3 titles in 4 years and took that excellent Ajax team to the CL semis). I'm very very leary, he is totally unproven at any high level regardless of how great his stats are in a puny league.

I wouldn’t mind Zidane if it came to it.
Job he did it Real was very impressive and he seems to really had great respect amongst the players there.
Strange he hasn’t managed since though.

I'm still very leary of Amorim. Firstly there is the potential tactical inexperience / naivety. Then the fact that it's the Portuguese league and no matter how you want to dress it up it's inhabited by teams that are far from European powerhouses. And he was 4th in that league last season - even behind Braga. This season there's a point between Sporting and Benfica with 8 games to go.

Oh and those results against Spurs in Europe? One was a dead rubber as Spurs had already qualified and Sporting were already out.
In the EL this season they played Atalanta in the group and KO. Losing twice and drawing twice.

Amorim has no better record, in an equivalent level league, to Ten Hag (winning 153 of 207 games and winning 3 titles in 4 years and took that excellent Ajax team to the CL semis). I'm very very leary, he is totally unproven at any high level regardless of how great his stats are in a puny league.

Its more like winning the league with Feyenoord and beating PSV and Ajax. Something Ten Hag wouldnt be able to do imho.

All the data driven experts say this is the best choice.

We finished 5th last season under Klopp.. it can happen.

I'd rather him than someone like Tuchel or Southgate or Potter.

Ask the Villa lads - they seem to love him

I could be wrong, obviously. My gut just says he's a bit of an eccentric and not really a magnetic personality. His relative failures at the bigger clubs he's managed is a massive concern for me.

I could be wrong, obviously. My gut just says he's a bit of an eccentric and not really a magnetic personality. His relative failures at the bigger clubs he's managed is a massive concern for me.

The biggest club he's been at is Villa and they love him. Swept the domesric quad at PSG, aned massively successful in Spain.

Back
Top Bottom