• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why aren't we more excited about Origi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No not really.

I suppose i'm really bemused by the stupidly over the top labels like 'world class talent' bestowed upon Origi by Hansern (while seeking to downplay non LFC strikers) despite at age 21 Origi having 4 Premier League goals to his name in a season and a half. Eapecially given the lack of any real striking competition.

Harry Kane, who isn't a 'world class talent' was significantly better at age 21.

I feel like i need to say I think he's a decent player who could have a good career. But i don't see that we have a future outstanding player on our hands.

I'm guessing Hansern probably said similar about Jordan Ibe - how is he getting on ?

Seeing as you twist whatever people say to fit your agenda (as usual), dont get the facts right and havent got a clue about what your saying. I doubt anyone cares what you think. And you're fucking mong which also doesnt help your case.

World class talent is totally subjective, means different things to different people.... But Kane is one of the best strikers in one of the best leagues in the world. He's pretty damn good, and I don't think he just got lucky like loads of people do. But as we've seen millions of times comparing players in different systems and ages makes no sense. Drogba was crap till mid 20s. Suarez found his shooting boots after we'd had him a year. You don't know when someone's peak time is going to kick in, but Origi is the most promising kid we've had in ages. He's got 3 in 4 league cup appearances and 2 from 250 mins in the prem, most of which have been 20 mins here and there. That's damn good, and if he keeps his place I expect him to score loads in this side.

Good post. That subjective bit is important obviously. Some people tend to forget that. The outrage if someone has a different opinion when it comes to football and players.

Seeing as you twist whatever people say to fit your agenda (as usual), dont get the facts right and havent got a clue about what your saying. I doubt anyone cares what you think. And you're fucking mong which also doesnt help your case.

'You're fucking mong' is brilliant.

Made my morning

Not enough games is generally out of their control, particularly if your competition is strong. Certain managers don't give young players many opportunities. But i'm not sure either of those apply to Origi at the moment.

And you can't separate work ethic and injuries from talent or ability. Being fit enough to play regularly is a talent in itself. The better someone looks after themselves the less time they'll spend out. Obviously separate out injuries caused by contact / tackles / falls etc.

Could he turn out to be the next Drogba ? Absolutely, but its a long shot.

Turning out like Welbeck is a distinct possibility too.

Minus the injuries would be ok, though he's far far more talented on the ball than welbeck imo.

Good. Now piss off.
pLgGpOz.gif

Minus the injuries would be ok, though he's far far more talented on the ball than welbeck imo.

Maybe he is but his career up to age 22 isn't dissimilar to Origi's.

The one sensible contribution Hansern has made is that Sturridge didn't have great success early on, so you can't rule out Origi.

So i think its possible to look at the possible range of outcomes and plot where Origi might end up. The reality is right in the middle is probably most likely i.e. good but not great.

Maybe he is but his career up to age 22 isn't dissimilar to Origi's.

The one sensible contribution Hansern has made is that Sturridge didn't have great success early on, so you can't rule out Origi.

So i think its possible to look at the possible range of outcomes and plot where Origi might end up. The reality is right in the middle is probably most likely i.e. good but not great.

Oy - that's what I said to Brendan last week ... about how Origi has more league goals at 21 than Sturridge ... let's hope he's as good, minus the injuries ;)

Oy - that's what I said to Brendan last week ... about how Origi has more league goals at 21 than Sturridge ... let's hope he's as good, minus the injuries ;)

But you discount the Welbexk comparison because of your view of their respective abilities.

Do you think Origi has a similar level of talent to Sturridge ?

I don't see it

But you discount the Welbexk comparison because of your view of their respective abilities.

I don't see it
The thing about Origi having more goals than Sturridge at the same age needs to be taken into perspective.

Sturridge was at City when they started spending silly money on players like Robinho. He then moved to Chelsea who already had Drogba. He was also dogged by Injuries.

A fairer. Comparison would be to look at goals to minutes ratio at the same age.

And for those who say Origi was a dark horse at the WC over the likes of Lukaku and Benteke. It was largely enforced, and he hasn't scored for Belgium since.

I don't see it

I just didn't count Welbeck because I can see Origi score 20 goals per season (I don't think welbeck, or for that matter Studge for one season, ever did that - just compared Studge as it was Brendan debating him)

He doesn't seem to be as efficient a finisher as Studge.
He's as quick and gifted technically, and is stronger/bigger obviously.

The thing about Origi having more goals than Sturridge at the same age needs to be taken into perspective.

Sturridge was at City when they started spending silly money on players like Robinho. He then moved to Chelsea who already had Drogba. He was also dogged by Injuries.

A fairer. Comparison would be to look at goals to minutes ratio at the same age.

And for those who say Origi was a dark horse at the WC over the likes of Lukaku and Benteke. It was largely enforced, and he hasn't scored for Belgium since.

Don't have minutes (but I'm guessing Sturridge should lead as Origi was starting - albeit not up front most games - for Lille)... so will go with goals in games (sturridge left the year after robinho arrived - though he played 16 games in that last year, and signed a contract with chelsea (City wanted to keep him))

Sturridge with City & Chelsea (until age 24):
league: 18 in 84 (0.214 goals per game)
all competitions: 30 in 128 (0.234 goals per game)

Origi (until age 21)
league: 23 goals in 111 (0.207 goals per game)
all competitions: 33 goals in 148 (0.223 goals per game)

As for goals since 2014 ... He was ahead of Lukaku because he worked harder - if I remember correctly, that's what was the reason given - as Lukaku was HEALTHY. Benteke was injured I think. He hasn't scored for Belgium because he rarely starts nowadays (let's be realistic, Lukaku has been on fire for 2 years now so he'll be ahead of him).

I don't see the point of endless comparisons of other players which this thread has descended into. Other players can be used to make any point a poster wants and can't predict the pathway of Origi. There's too many variables. For me it's more important to focus on what we do have which is a talented young striker, with the physical attributes required to flourish in the league and a manager who has a history of developing world-class attacking talent. That should be cause for a sense of optimism amongst even the pessimists among us.

I don't see the point of endless comparisons of other players which this thread has descended into. Other players can be used to make any point a poster wants and can't predict the pathway of Origi. There's too many variables. For me it's more important to focus on what we do have which is a talented young striker, with the physical attributes required to flourish in the league and a manager who has a history of developing world-class attacking talent. That should be cause for a sense of optimism amongst even the pessimists among us.

I get the point, I'm stopping to argue! :)
Divock Origi Fan Club President

Can we do something a wee bit more kosher mate?

Kosher in this instance is making an N'Gog comparison.

And pointing out that the point of the comparisons is to see whether what your player is doing at present is an indicator of good future performances.

If your player has performed as a lot of great players did at the same age, great.

If he's performed as a lot of players good, bad and indifferent then its hard to project great things. (And thats the case with Origi)

Last edited:
Kosher in this instance is making an N'Gog comparison.

And pointing out that the point of the comparisons is to see whether what your player is doing at present is an indicator of good future performances.

If your player has performed as a lot of great players did at the same age, great.

If he's performed as a lot of players good, bad and indifferent then its hard to project great things. (And thats the case with Origi)

Do not agree but I gave Squiggs my word.

You owe me a beer when Origi becomes a star when I meet you one day. If I'm wrong, I'll send you the cash! ;)

5 goals in 5 starts for big Divock. That's now 8 for the season, it's mid-December, and he's spent most of the season on the bench. He got 10 last year, he'll get 15-20 this year, and he's only 21.

He's making being in the right place, and finishing expertly look fucking simple.

If you're not excited by what this guy's doing, and what he could potentially be - then I don't fucking know.

I am really glad we have him. I dont think hes fantastic or anything, and for some reason I am struggling to warm to him, but hes a goalscorer.
What I like about him is that he comes wide to get the ball but when others have the ball he gets RIGHT IN the 6 yard box.

Im still struggling to see what he brings to the side apart from Goals.............but.....ya know.........GOALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom